• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I do love Sapienza but man another bonus map there?

If I'm compromised by the guard I dump into a locker, does it mess up my SA?

nope, as long as you hid the body you're fine

SA seems to be only removed if you get the big arial fonts like CRIME NOTICED or FOUND TRESSPASSING and the like, as well as Non-Target Killed. Though BODY FOUND is fine if it's done thorugh poison kill or accidental kill.

I do love Sapienza but man another bonus map there?

nope, as long as you hid the body you're fine

SA seems to be only removed if you get the big arial fonts like CRIME NOTICED or FOUND TRESSPASSING and the like, as well as Non-Target Killed. Though BODY FOUND is fine if it's done thorugh poison kill or accidental kill.

K thanks. I'm trying to get SA on Marrakesh. Will I get SA if I use the APC gun turret? Will it count as accidental kills since they're indirect kills?

The sushi bar is the one I'm a bit figuring out, I don't want to watch it yet lol

I take it when she is in the sushi bar and found her cigs, she will head to a spot for pushing?

If she finds cigarettes in the restaurant, she will go smoke them in the garden next to the oil barrel. Automatic fire kill if the barrel is punctured.

It's a different outcome if she finds cigarettes in her own suite.

jtb

Banned
What's the best/cheapest way to buy this game? And what's the lowest that S1 has ever gone? Due to episodic nature of the game, I'm guessing the sales haven't gone too steep yet.

(I should clarify: I'm talking PC version here)

Stoze

What's the best/cheapest way to buy this game? And what's the lowest that S1 has ever gone? Due to episodic nature of the game, I'm guessing the sales haven't gone too steep yet.

(I should clarify: I'm talking PC version here)

It's been $15 a couple of times at Gamestop but that was apparently due to price errors. Otherwise its been on sale for $30 just recently multiple times, I got it for that much back in November on Steam.

jtb

Banned
It's been $15 a couple of times at Gamestop but that was apparently due to price errors. Otherwise its been on sale for $30 just recently multiple times, I got it for that much back in November.

Hm, sounds good. The season's completely released, right? Will just keep my eyes peeled for any deals at this point.

16/18 in Elusives ain't bad but damn does it sting when I fail. I mean is it bad I was still thinking about Colorado at work this afternoon? Probably but this game is awesome (my personal GOTY). BRING ON THE NEXT ELUSIVE, IO!

I hope they don't add more ET SA challenges in season 2. I've almost got my Winter Suit, but I can't say it's been an enjoyable grind. I just want to play an Elusive Target without all of these annoying SA conditions on top of them.

I hope they don't add more ET SA challenges in season 2. I've almost got my Winter Suit, but I can't say it's been an enjoyable grind. I just want to play an Elusive Target without all of these annoying SA conditions on top of them.
Props where they are due, I am now trying to get SA on these Elusives when they announced the Winter Suit. I mean I'm not one for cosmetic suits but it's more of an accomplishment thing.

When they first announced elusives, I just used my pale duck so I could get the checkmark and unlock the suits, announcing the SA Elusive rewards completely changed my thinking.

Hopefully by the time we get back to Colorado, I won't fuck it up.

Boss Doggie

The first bonus mission on Sapienza closed off the entire beach area along with the Church. This next bonus mission will do the complete opposite.

Huh, I never noticed the church section being closed, now that I think about it.

If she finds cigarettes in the restaurant, she will go smoke them in the garden next to the oil barrel. Automatic fire kill if the barrel is punctured.

It's a different outcome if she finds cigarettes in her own suite.

Ooo I'll try this then. Just need to figure out how to make her guards look away.

K thanks. I'm trying to get SA on Marrakesh. Will I get SA if I use the APC gun turret? Will it count as accidental kills since they're indirect kills?

nontargets even if accidental kills, will cost SA

Just started playing this game, the last Hitman game i played was 2, and i really enjoyed it but never really continued on with the franchise. Something i've always meant to address.

I just started the mission in Italy , its been really great so far with the varied way missions can play out and a wonderful attention to detail but one thing is seriously bugging me, at a strong determent to the experience, why does almost everyone have an American accent? Its extremely bothersome and breaks the immersion instantly - i'm hoping this is not a constant throughout the title.

I'm sure this has been discussed quite a bit, and i'm going to keep going, but my gosh it is annoying.

So I came in thinking this game would play like splinter cell/MGS, but that's obviously not the case, so I'm slowly transitioning into the new play style.

Boss Doggie

The cool thing about this method:
you can do everything without making anyone look away.

wait, seriously? but I thought
her area in the bar is considered tresspassing (I know the guards don't look inside though), unless you mean to tell me you could get there through the window?

So I came in thinking this game would play like splinter cell/MGS, but that's obviously not the case, so I'm slowly transitioning into the new play style.

depending on how you play, it can end up like that

also Colorado map has that feel in some ways

her area in the bar is considered tresspassing (I know the guards don't look inside though), unless you mean to tell me you could get there through the window?

You can jump over into her area from the lunch area next to it.

Just started playing this game, the last Hitman game i played was 2, and i really enjoyed it but never really continued on with the franchise. Something i've always meant to address.

I just started the mission in Italy , its been really great so far with the varied way missions can play out and a wonderful attention to detail but one thing is seriously bugging me, at a strong determent to the experience, why does almost everyone have an American accent? Its extremely bothersome and breaks the immersion instantly - i'm hoping this is not a constant throughout the title.

I'm sure this has been discussed quite a bit, and i'm going to keep going, but my gosh it is annoying.

It's not really the accents, if you pay attention you will notice that 10 voice actors do about 90% of voice work for the entire game. The game probably had a pretty small VA budget; there is a guy with a very distinct voice that you can find in every level. At one point you might just accept it as part of the overall Hitman zaniness, but yeah.

The only thing that bothered me noticeably is that even some of the main targets do other voices in other episodes. You can clearly hear Margolis in one of the other stages, now in my head-cannon I can kinda imagine that one dude as a globe trotting guy who is constantly looking for a job but always runs into Agent 47, it's kinda harder to do that with targets that you are definitely supposed to kill.

Stoze

You can just hop over the booth wall, the guard faces the other way so just switch the cigs quickly and jump back over.

edit: beat

Oh I see. Well, I've just done, I mean still playing the training level. Then gun fights can break out?

Boss Doggie

I chalk the voice acting to how 47 hears things for our convenience. I bet they naturally speak in their native tongue and 47 speaks their language, but in our PoV it's already interpreted.

Oh I see. Well, I've just done, I mean still playing the training level. Then gun fights can break out?

If you're not careful, yeah.

You can jump over into her area from the lunch area next to it.

now I feel dumb for not trying that lol

Finished the game. What a stellar experience.

The only problem I have is the goofy AI overreaxtions and non reactions in some of my runs.

Also the Colorado mission was the worst. Could have been more enjoyable with only 2 hits. 4 was excessive imo..

I also want to play in a more action style, but I hate role playing as a villain.

It's not really the accents, if you pay attention you will notice that 10 voice actors do about 90% of voice work for the entire game. The game probably had a pretty small VA budget; there is a guy with a very distinct voice that you can find in every level. At one point you might just accept it as part of the overall Hitman zaniness, but yeah.

The only thing that bothered me noticeably is that even some of the main targets do other voices in other episodes. You can clearly hear Margolis in one of the other stages, now in my head-cannon I can kinda imagine that one dude as a globe trotting guy who is constantly looking for a job but always runs into Agent 47, it's kinda harder to do that with targets that you are definitely supposed to kill.

Putting into that context does help. I suppose with how well detailed the rest of the game feel, perhaps they did the best they could with their budget.

You know what really irks me? Unique characters like Helmut, or even some Elusives have unique voices until they get interrupted out of their routines by being bumped or coins. At that point, they revert to one of the generic 10 voice actors you find everywhere else. Kind of funny, but breaks the immersion for me.

You know what really irks me? Unique characters like Helmut, or even some Elusives have unique voices until they get interrupted out of their routines by being bumped or coins. At that point, they revert to one of the generic 10 voice actors you find everywhere else. Kind of funny, but breaks the immersion for me.

Right now the developers themselves even make fun of this behavior, but this has got to be something that can be solved with a bigger budget for season two. Although elusive targets might never justify recording the full set of reaction lines (for example a target will never need to react to 47 climbing over objects if that target never goes near any climbable objects).

The game seems well-received enough that I really look forward to seeing what obvious oversights they can afford to improve on in season two (and with the team in a bigger studio now, more money and manpower are all but certain).

ZeroX03

Banned
Fuck didn't get SASO on the elusive. The guard in the basement turned around as I was aiming to knock him out just before exiting. Really frustrating.

New Paris escalation: The Adrian Eclipse. The new complication on level 3 is genius - don't miss this one.

Effectively this also means you can't climb ledges either.

Fuck didn't get SASO on the elusive. The guard in the basement turned around as I was aiming to knock him out just before exiting. Really frustrating.

Almost literally the same thing for me. I figured he wouldn't see me, he was looking at the guy being interrogated, and he turned and looked as I locked into the animation to unlock the door with Rose's mask. Infuriating, especially with the amount of tension and effort it took to knock all those fucking people out on the top floor.

Boss Doggie

How can you hate something that doesn't even show up that often? In a matter of fact, how can you even hate the story? Did it hurt your feelings in any way?

Not really a big fan of "evil twin" plots, and his backstory, assuming is true, is kinda tired

New Paris escalation: The Adrian Eclipse. The new complication on level 3 is genius - don't miss this one.

Effectively this also means you can't climb ledges either.

I'm actually surprised
your character running around in ledges don't trigger any alerts in the original map lol

Right now the developers themselves even make fun of this behavior, but this has got to be something that can be solved with a bigger budget for season two. Although elusive targets might never justify recording the full set of reaction lines (for example a target will never need to react to 47 climbing over objects if that target never goes near any climbable objects).

The game seems well-received enough that I really look forward to seeing what obvious oversights they can afford to improve on in season two (and with the team in a bigger studio now, more money and manpower are all but certain).

All true. Like I said, yeah it breaks the immersion for me, but I appreciate how it plays into the wacky charm of the game.

It's just strange for me that the voices would change like that, but they'd go to the trouble to record/animate incredible amounts of conversation and animation for some elusives (the Guru comes to mind) that most players will NEVER see, but not have a few canned lines from the actor for interruptions in routine.

Holy shit! That is amazing.

Finished up Hokkaido this week, though I'm probably going to perfect some of my runs this weekend.

I think this is how I'd rank the episodes overall:

1. Sapienza
2. Hokkaido
3. Marrakesh
4. Paris
5. Colorado
6. Bangkok

The only two that I don't think are great are Colorado and Bangkok, but they are still pretty good regardless. I think the Colorado mission would have been better if, at the very least once you got your mastery high enough, you didn't have to always take the same exit. I really like the map overall. And then in Bangkok, I felt like one too many NPCs could see through every disguise. It's not as consistent or as balanced in that regard as the rest of the missions. Stuff like the actress giving me her room key because she sleeps around, but room service is suspicious of me going to her room. Or Cross' bodyguards not letting me upstairs as the exterminator after the hotel manager makes the call. There are just too many little things that made that mission more of a headache than it should have been.

Holy shit! That is amazing.

Finished up Hokkaido this week, though I'm probably going to perfect some of my runs this weekend.

I think this is how I'd rank the episodes overall:

1. Sapienza
2. Hokkaido
3. Marrakesh
4. Paris
5. Colorado
6. Bangkok

The only two that I don't think are great are Colorado and Bangkok, but they are still pretty good regardless. I think the Colorado mission would have been better if, at the very least once you got your mastery high enough, you didn't have to always take the same exit. I really like the map overall. And then in Bangkok, I felt like one too many NPCs could see through every disguise. It's not as consistent or as balanced in that regard as the rest of the missions. Stuff like the actress giving me her room key because she sleeps around, but room service is suspicious of me going to her room. Or Cross' bodyguards not letting me upstairs as the exterminator after the hotel manager makes the call. There are just too many little things that made that mission more of a headache than it should have been.

The one exit in Colorado kinda sucks, but the one thing that softens the blow a bit is that there are other exits you can use when doing contracts, escalations, or elusive targets, it's just the main mission that requires the bunker exit. It's the same as how you have to go down and deal with the virus in Sapienza every time, but you obviously don't if you are doing a user contract. In fairness, it sucks there, too, but it doesn't stop the level from being great.

The one exit in Colorado kinda sucks, but the one thing that softens the blow a bit is that there are other exits you can use when doing contracts, escalations, or elusive targets, it's just the main mission that requires the bunker exit. It's the same as how you have to go down and deal with the virus in Sapienza every time, but you obviously don't if you are doing a user contract. In fairness, it sucks there, too, but it doesn't stop the level from being great.
I agree, I just wish it was like Hokkaido where its special requirement (no concealed items) got relaxed upon mastering the stage. A lot of the times when I start plotting out what I want to do on a run, the specific exit plays a big part in that and I feel like Colorado has less variety as a result.

And while the virus is the worst part about Sapienza, they at least don't force you to always do that part last. I was at least able to be a bit more creative knowing that I could do that part first, or place a mine there and detonate it later. Freedom Fighters always funnels you toward the farmhouse.

The disc release will be happening in the middle of the next elusive target (which will definitely start the week before the disc release). Landslide should come out with the disc release, though.

I'm actually surprised
your character running around in ledges don't trigger any alerts in the original map lol

It totally did, if you stayed in sight for long enough. The Paris ledges were just designed so that nobody was looking at you most of the time.

But I did trigger an alert when I tried to get to the Sheikh by ledge, in plain sight of him.

I agree, I just wish it was like Hokkaido where its special requirement (no concealed items) got relaxed upon mastering the stage. A lot of the times when I start plotting out what I want to do on a run, the specific exit plays a big part in that and I feel like Colorado has less variety as a result.

And while the virus is the worst part about Sapienza, they at least don't force you to always do that part last. I was at least able to be a bit more creative knowing that I could do that part first, or place a mine there and detonate it later. Freedom Fighters always funnels you toward the farmhouse.

Yeah, definitely agreed. Hokkaido's requirement going away at mastery 20 feels like the right way to go about it for things like that. Having been on this train since day one, I've definitely gotten the impression, whether its through the evolution in level design or the design of the escalations and elusives, that IOI's strategy of using consumer data to get feedback on what's working and what isn't to inform their design is paying off. I'm incredibly hopeful for Season 2's possibilities.

Yeah, definitely agreed. Hokkaido's requirement going away at mastery 20 feels like the right way to go about it for things like that. Having been on this train since day one, I've definitely gotten the impression, whether its through the evolution in level design or the design of the escalations and elusives, that IOI's strategy of using consumer data to get feedback on what's working and what isn't to inform their design is paying off. I'm incredibly hopeful for Season 2's possibilities.

Going by the PCgamer article on Sapienza, they understand that stationary non-hit objectives are not interesting for replays. (Which is a major difference for elusive targets. Retrieving a stationary item can still be interesting if you will only ever do it once.)

No doubt season 2 will have non-hit story objectives, but it sounds like they will be trying to make them more like hits. Imagine a better Sapienza with even more options: that's the kind of potential season 2 has.

MUnited83

For you.
Going by the PCgamer article on Sapienza, they understand that stationary non-hit objectives are not interesting for replays. (Which is a major difference for elusive targets. Retrieving a stationary item can still be interesting if you will only ever do it once.)

No doubt season 2 will have non-hit story objectives, but it sounds like they will be trying to make them more like hits. Imagine a better Sapienza with even more options: that's the kind of potential season 2 has.
Hopefully they make it so there's lots of ways to take those objectives out. The virus sucks because it always requires your physical presence in the lab to be able to destroy it. It would be nice if there were ways of destroying it remotely with certain opportunities. Hell, I can think of a pretty simple one for example: having a way to have Francesca checking on the virus before it's destroyed. You could then have her pick up a rubber duck, and you could explode it when she was next to the virus!

Hopefully they make it so there's lots of ways to take those objectives out. The virus sucks because it always requires your physical presence in the lab to be able to destroy it. It would be nice if there were ways of destroying it remotely with certain opportunities. Hell, I can think of a pretty simple one for example: having a way to have Francesca checking on the virus before it's destroyed. You could then have her pick up a rubber duck, and you could explode it when she was next to the virus!
Exactly. Or some way you could piss off the doctor at the church into sabotaging it, because she's the one with the dongle. Similar to using Soders' hit list in Hokkaido.

Top Bottom