• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HITMAN |OT| Blood Monthly

That's not good. We all assumed the monthly content updates were slowing down because IO was ramping up on season 2 but maybe there's more going on behind the scenes. They've never officially confirmed season 2 outside of some tweets have they?

Really wish the dude from IO who posted in this thread could tell us something but of course they won't be allowed to.

Fuck Square Enix if this turns out bad for IO. What a shit reward for making an incredible game.

Guess their priority is making lackluster Final Fantasy games that take 10+ years to develop.

Why would that be good? This isn't their kind of game, nor do they do third party devs.

Largely because they have a reputation for making great games, so the idea is that they'd continue to be able to make great games. The absolute worst case scenario would be for IOI to get picked up by an EA or an Ubisoft.

CloudWolf

Largely because they have a reputation for making great games, so the idea is that they'd continue to be able to make great games. The absolute worst case scenario would be for IOI to get picked up by an EA or an Ubisoft.

But why would CD Projekt even be interested in IO Interactive? CD Projekt has no expertise outside of RPG's and they don't really do publishing except for their own titles, so unless they pull a Paradox and suddenly become a major (indie-)publisher, I don't see CD Projekt buying any third party studio.

But why would CD Projekt even be interested in IO Interactive? CD Projekt has no expertise outside of RPG's and they don't really do publishing except for their own titles, so unless they pull a Paradox and suddenly become a major (indie-)publisher, I don't see CD Projekt buying any third party studio.

It depends on how much they are interested in expanding and strengthening GOG more than anything. They've been steadily bolting on features to it, adding more and more functionality to make it competitive to steam, so if there is a reason to expand more studios it will be to strengthen GOG.

However it should also be mentioned that CD Red started development on Cyberpunk 2077 from scratch after the Witcher 3 and pretty much scrapped anything they had done on it before, so it is questionable whether they currently have the funds for a buyout.

If there is an out-of-left-field buyer, it could possibly be Rockstar, I remember reading somewhere quite a while ago that the Houser bros were fans of the Hitman games.

Aklamarth

Ghostmaster said:
so if there is a reason to expand more studios it will be to strengthen GOG.

They are selling their own games (also) on Steam, how would buying some studio strengthen GOG ?! Also, from a financial perspective, is not going to happen. Polish company buying large Danish studio ? With no IP attached. Not going to happen.

They are selling their own games (also) on Steam, how would buying some studio strengthen GOG ?! Also, from a financial perspective, is not going to happen. Polish company buying large Danish studio ? With no IP attached. Not going to happen.

Gwent's beta is only on GOG, The Witcher was cheaper and the first game even offered for free on GOG, having the freedom to do what you want with a big name game on your platform for which you can offer incentives (like bigger discounts), can draw consumers to it without having to make it exclusive.

But I do agree, apart from the major publishers, I don't see anyone buying IO if SE isn't also giving away the Hitman IP for cheap with them.

Ubisoft and Zenimax are the most likely candidates, Rockstar the dark horse.

Rookhelm

Awful news, but IO would be able to continue making Hitman games with another publisher, right?

Square owns the IP, so the only way IO could make more Hitman is if the IP was sold along with the company. Which, is probably the only way someone would buy IO, if they could get the IP with it.

Linkark07

Banned
Gwent's beta is only on GOG, The Witcher was cheaper and the first game even offered for free on GOG, having the freedom to do what you want with a big name game on your platform for which you can offer incentives (like bigger discounts), can draw consumers to it without having to make it exclusive.

But I do agree, apart from the major publishers, I don't see anyone buying IO if SE isn't also giving away the Hitman IP for cheap with them.

Ubisoft and Zenimax are the most likely candidates, Rockstar the dark horse.
Wouldn't the Vivendi hostile takeover might affect Ubisoft prospects of try and buy IO?

Thinking about this some more:

If the Hitman IP has basically become an albatross in terms of "every Hitman game must be a AAA game that sells X copies", then it might be for the best that IO be freed from having to chase those unrealistic sales expectations.

Imagine if the only alternative is making another Absolution so that it can sell 3 million copies for Square Enix.

Thinking about this some more:

If the Hitman IP has basically become an albatross in terms of "every Hitman game must be a AAA game that sells X copies", then it might be for the best that IO be freed from having to chase those unrealistic sales expectations.

Imagine if the only alternative is making another Absolution so that it can sell 3 million copies for Square Enix.

3 million?! That's not the 17 million we were expecting. /Square Enix

This is horrible news for IO and the fact that SE will likely just bury the Hitman IP is even worse. I wonder what the support structure for season 1 will look like once the deed is done and how long SE will keep the servers up.

Wouldn't the Vivendi hostile takeover might affect Ubisoft prospects of try and buy IO?

Vivendi has been taking over Ubisoft for over a year now, AFAIK they only need 5% more of the shares to do it, however Ubisoft has had a good year with Ghost Recon and For Honor so expanding wouldn't be out of the question.

Keep in mind that Vivendi still owns just 25% of shares in Ubisoft, so Ubi can't really afford to just wait around and see if Vivendi gets another 5% of the shares without making their other shareholders unhappy.

Ubi needs to present itself as strong as possible to keep a hold on their remaining shareholders.

Square owns the IP, so the only way IO could make more Hitman is if the IP was sold along with the company. Which, is probably the only way someone would buy IO, if they could get the IP with it.

I think Square would be very reluctant to let the IP go. To the point where they would rather that IO go under instead of letting them live on in another home.

3 million?! That's not the 17 million we were expecting. /Square Enix

3 million is just the number from Steamspy. It sold more on consoles as well. Anyway the relevant point is that it seems to have outsold the new Hitman by a considerable margin.

I think Square would be very reluctant to let the IP go. To the point where they would rather that IO go under instead of letting them live on in another home.

3 million is just the number from Steamspy. It sold more on consoles as well. Anyway the relevant point is that it seems to have outsold the new Hitman by a considerable margin.

Oh I know, it just seems to be a pattern with SE that their games never seem to meet their sales expectations. I'm pretty sure they said that Absolution was below their expectations as well.

Moff

We had to expect this after the early sales I guess.
Damn shame it didnt pay out for IO that they listened to their hardcore fans after the more successful Absolution.

BigAT

Oh I know, it just seems to be a pattern with SE that their games never seem to meet their sales expectations. I'm pretty sure they said that Absolution was below their expectations as well.

Yeah, weren't they really disappointed with the Tomb Raider reboot sales even though that did ridiculously well?

This news is potentially pretty devastating. So much for announcing season 2 at E3...

Yeah, weren't they really disappointed with the Tomb Raider reboot sales even though that did ridiculously well?

This news is potentially pretty devastating. So much for announcing season 2 at E3...
I'm hoping Tomb Raider isn't next at this point. Deus Ex and Hitman are already out the window.

Foffy

Banned

S-E had hilariously absurd expectations for Absolution.

I believe they expected it to outsell all previous titles despite a six year IP hiatus (Hitman was bi-annual up until Blood Money)

It is sad that we live in a world where making money is more important than making a good quality product.

I admit it, I was hoping you knew something.

The funny thing is, this is the same Square Enix that just invested in and released Nier Automata. Neither the series nor its director has ever really made money, but it turned out to not only be a quality product but also selling well.

But IOI is not so close to Square Enix management that they can get more money out of them after making fewer sales. Instead they're far away in a distant country so it's probably easiest to let them go out of anyone.

ev0

IT'd be crazy if SE gave Thief another shot considering it was the worst of the recent Eidos games. But who knows. I say this as a fan of the old Theifs and even got all the achievements in the new one.

Maybe a mobile game

Top Bottom