• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hobbit Humphrey: Parents keep baby’s sex a secret to avoid gender bias

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member

methode%2Ftimes%2Fprod%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F614f302e-d8d2-11e9-9cfd-b79996a387b0.jpg

What is wrong with people? Raising the kid gender neutral, dressing it in both male and female clothing, letting it 'choose its gender' when it's 'old enough'. That's child abuse.

And of course her name is Hobbit, and of course they're members of Extinction Rebellion, and of course they live on a houseboat, and of course he looks like he handed over his cock and balls long ago as she keeps them in a jar ready to incinerate at the merest hint of actual maleness.

A couple are bringing up a gender-neutral child by keeping its sex a secret even from close family.

Hobbit Humphrey, 38, and Jake England-Johns, 35, call their 17-month-old by the pronoun “they” and dress them in both girls’ and boys’ clothing.

They admit that the approach has resulted in “some pretty confused looks from old ladies in the park”. Even the child’s grandmother discovered their sex only at 11 months when she changed a nappy.

The pair, who are circus performers and members of the climate action group Extinction Rebellion, say that they hope the decision will enable the child to “grow into their own person”.

Ms Humphrey, who lives with her husband on a houseboat in Keynsham, Somerset, said: “When I found out I was pregnant we spent those nine months discussing ways by which we could try and mitigate the gender bias that society places on children. Eventually, we decided that we wouldn’t tell people whether they were boy or girl.”

The couple plan to allow the child, whom they have asked not to be named, to choose their gender when they are old enough. The decision has largely been met with bemusement.

“The response was pretty mixed when we first told our friends and family and most people didn’t get it, with some people wanting just to ignore it,” Ms Humphrey said.

“I don’t think people really took us seriously initially because what you say you’re going to do when you’re pregnant can often be very different later when you are faced with bringing up a crying, screaming baby.

“But over a year in it’s clear that we are serious and gradually people have got used to it. Although, that still doesn’t stop some pretty confused looks from old ladies in the park when they come up to us and ask if they’re a boy or a girl. It can take a bit of explaining.”

So dedicated to their child-rearing plan were the couple that they initially refused to tell Ms Humphrey’s mother, Camille, 64, the sex of her grandchild, revealing it only when they asked her to change the youngster’s nappy at 11 months.

Although Ms Humphrey and Mr England-Johns have slowly begun to enlighten a handful of others — not wanting to deny the child “the joy of playing naked” — they stand by their original decision. “It was tricky at first when not only were we new parents but also new parents who had the problem of people getting upset about our baby being gender neutral,” Ms Humphrey said.

“But in the end it has proven to be a really beautiful thing and we’ve had a lot of important conversations from it.

“It has had the effect we wanted of letting our baby develop its own interests regardless of gender. So, for example, while they love having a dolls’ tea party every morning, they also are really fascinated by motorbikes and big machinery.

“Eventually, once our baby is old enough, they can obviously decide for themselves what gender they want to be, but for now we just want them to be able to grow up in their own little bubble.”

Hudo

At this point, childcare services should step in and save that child. I am all for parents rights but not when they start to actively endanger normal mental development.

Edit: I didn't realize that the mother is called Hobbit, not the guy. That's hilarious.

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I think this is a bit interesting from a purely observational level. Like what clothes/colors/toys will (s)he end up liking, and will it fit with the general populace? But one kid isn't enough. We need to find an island and put all these people on that island, where they can build their own genderless society, and then when these kids grow up. Well, I'd watch that documentary.

That said, I won't allow my daughter to wear pink, but that's because pink is the ugliest color.

I keep reminding myself that this is just the latest in a long line of stupid parenting fads that only a minority of middle class twats indulge in, mostly out of narcasitic, smug, superiority complexes, but god damn is this whole irrational gender nonesense particularly egregious given its current political clout.

Herr Edgy

Can we not attack someone's looks please?

Other than that, what I never get is how people uphold 'diversity' on one hand and how they strive for normalizing everything on the other hand.
Isn't it great that we are different? Isn't it exciting meeting new people with different cultures in different countries? Or is this next on the list? 'No, I refuse to call myself Canadian, I'm an earthling!'

EDIT:
Actually, that's a neat idea for a story. A faction that strives to normalize everything and everyone - making every atom part of a grey gooey mass. And then they just normalize themselves into the nothingness before they succeed lmao

Last edited:

Amakusa

........*sigh* The fact they don't understand we humans don't have some enter voice that lets us know what we are while growing up, once we have been told by a person we trust or picked up due to being dressed differently then other other sex, that poor soul won't just know auto mode if he's a girl or boy if they keep him inside away from other kids, they the type that won't even let the poor kid see a TV into years later. Who knows.... who knows..

lil puff

The extreme of this would be to have twins, a boy and girl and pretending it's one child to use gender when it suits them.

Which might also make for a interesting film - if not done already.

Thaedolus

I know a couple that does this and has a rather large following blogging about it. It’s...nothing my wife and I would ever do and in practice the they/them thing throws me off every time I see them or read an update. Kid’s still too young to really have it matter but ehh...

...and yes the mother has a gender studies PhD

dionysus

Yaldog
I think this is a bit interesting from a purely observational level. Like what clothes/colors/toys will (s)he end up liking, and will it fit with the general populace? But one kid isn't enough. We need to find an island and put all these people on that island, where they can build their own genderless society, and then when these kids grow up. Well, I'd watch that documentary.

That said, I won't allow my daughter to wear pink, but that's because pink is the ugliest color.

Do you actually have a daughter? Because between the stores having greater than 50% pink in stock, and the inevitable gifts from others that are all pink...it is impossible to avoid the color.

S

slugbahr

Unconfirmed Member

That would be a shitty thing to do to a bunch of kids. That's what these fuckin dickheads in the OP are doing with just theirs.

Don't be like them.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Do you actually have a daughter? Because between the stores having greater than 50% pink in stock, and the inevitable gifts from others that are all pink...it is impossible to avoid the color.

I do, and it's not that hard. 50% pink? Eh, I'll admit it's a lot of pink, but half? Did you miss all the grey, white, green red etc? There's quite a lot.

I return or sell stupid gifts.

That would be a shitty thing to do to a bunch of kids. That's what these fuckin dickheads in the OP are doing with just theirs.

Don't be like them.
I’m sorry, I forgot this is the internet where everything is taken seriously.

God Enel

What if their child turns out to be straight and “normal”?

It always seems to me like they want their kid to be gay “or shit like that”. (No offense to the gay people here). Imho I honestly think they’re going to be disappointed if it’s not gay or whatever.
“Dress him in boys and girls clothing” wtf is the problem to be a boy or a girl. Parents like that should never be parents in the first place. Please cut your dick and balls off and the women. I don’t know. Stitch your lips together.

Sry i maybe drank too much but this is absolutely bullshit. If it’s raised normal and turns out to be gay, where’s the problem. I’m absolutely fine with that. Do whatever you want but parents please stop with this bullshit.

Breakage

These type of people are cultists who are willing use their children as tools to transmit their ideology. They can get away with this reality-denying bs because these ideas have been given tremendous traction by the LGBT movement – a movement that does not take too kindly to any public criticism or expressions of doubt.

kunonabi

I'm in favour of this. If I can see their faces when the kid starts picking out gendered toys despite this bias-free upbringing.
Yep, my niece ended up loving all the usual girly girl things despite my sister not really pushing them. Of course she loves archery and boating too because kids like what they like and dont give a shit like adults do.

Jaxx_377

Neo Member
I have a Random Question.

I don't refer people I know with Pronouns I call them by their name. So if I don't know you well enough to know your name how am I supposed to know your preferred Pronoun? And once I meet you and know your name I'm never going to refer to you as anything else anyway so isn't it all kind of bullshit?

Top Bottom