• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Holidaying in England’s Most Deprived Town

diffusionx

Gold Member
Shitting on the native provincials is a time-worn hobby of the nation’s elites here, too. It seems like they take extra glee when they can link their own policies to the misery and decimation of the country’s hinterlands. Something relatively easy to do in Britain.

Last edited:

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Saw this in my feed.

Loves his Russian and Idian stuff: horn hunk hell

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

The bipartisan pew center founded in 1948 shows a steady growth. Data is up to 2018.
The US has had an open border since 2020 and the gov is literally sanctioning the trafficking on people. The numbers of illegal "migrants" have exploded 100 fold since then.

The same is happening in all other western nations as well. Japan and China control theirs just fine, without criticism as well. Odd /s.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
You do realize we have an open border since 2020 and the gov is literally sanctioning the trafficking on people. The numbers of illegal "migrants" have exploded since then.

This is about to turn political. We should leave it here, on a disagreement, lest we run amok of the mods.

Tams

Immigration is unstoppable. There are no amounts of walls or guards that can prevent it for entities as large as America or the EU.

But as you said the EU is handling this horrendously letting the border countries take the brunt. And thus camps have become the solution.

Ultimately it's going to be a choice of where we would prefer the violence to happen, as this is not sustainable but only going to get worse.

But that's another cold, hard truth that most are in denial or ignorant about. Not that I have some magic answer, because I don't. Nor do I want to be taking any responsibility for what the decision in the end will be, but some people are going to have to at some point, and you, I, and others may well be some of those people.

I'll just say this: those boats that sink and see slow responses by rescue services? Yeah, they aren't accidents and they aren't unintended; it's some people choosing where the violence happens.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I just skimmed the video but is this really the worst hellhole england has to offer? Doesn’t really seem all that bad. There are cities in the US that look like actual scooby doo ghost towns such as camden.

Dr.Morris79

Gold Member
Clacton. Christ..

Such a hole there now, I've lost count of how many times I've been down there or Jaywick. Been on many a quick breaks down St Osyths in a bloody caravan.

If You're in Essex though and want a quite beach that doesn't actually look that bad then Jaywick beach it is, theres normally no one on it.

And, as shit as it all looks, most folks in Jaywick are quite friendly. Never had any trouble myself. Obviously you'll get the shitheads and drug pushers but there everwhere now in the UK, my own towns flooded with them.

All in all though, the UK is fucked in general. It becomes even more apparent when you come back home from various places abroad. Just got back from Werfen in Austria last night, beautiful place.

I'd only been back in the UK ten minutes and the Muslim Black cab driver short changed me 90p. Twenty minutes later in my own car I was being tailgated and followed by two dodgy looking Turkish blokes in a BMW three miles around town.. fuck knows what they wanted or was doing

Welcome back to England I guess 🤷‍♂️

sedg87

Banned
I just skimmed the video but is this really the worst hellhole england has to offer? Doesn’t really seem all that bad. There are cities in the US that look like actual scooby doo ghost towns such as camden.

Nowhere near the worst. The worst 'city centre' is Bradford. Top of the European crime index. I live a few miles outside the city itself but I travel into it for work (where I am right now but screw it). A Hollywood director could come here to film an Afghan war film and have no need for any sets or effects. Absolute turd-trifle of a place.

INC

Gold Member
Without looking, it's gotta be clacton-on-sea

What a shit hole of crack heads and women with face tattoos

Go_Ly_Dow

Two pages in, thread's already turned into political and economical armchair expert shit flinging fest.

So it fits the level of the video quite well!
Well when a video is about highlighting economic depravity and social rot in the worst areas of a particular country, naturally people will begin discussing the Government/social ills of that particular country pretty quickly.

What this video doesn't mention is that these places were shit holes before the cost of living crisis, before COVID lockdowns, before Brexit. They were slightly less of a shit hole before the financial crash and the influx of cheap labour. They were generally thriving before all the industry went overseas and when the economy emphasised manufacturing over services and not vice versa like it is now.

Last edited:

Dural

Well when a video is about highlighting economic depravity and social rot in the worst areas of a particular country, naturally people will begin discussing the Government/social ills of that particular country pretty quickly.

What this video doesn't mention is that these places were shit holes before the cost of living crisis, before COVID lockdowns, before Brexit. They were slightly less of a shit hole before the financial crash and the influx of cheap labour. They were generally thriving before all the industry went overseas and when the economy emphasised manufacturing over services and not vice versa like it is now.

It's pretty similar with the towns in West Virginia and Kentucky, they were coal mining towns and when the government took the coal away the towns died.

That wasn't bad at all. I'm in America and I live near much worse. At least they don't live close to cities with the highest rates of murder in the US, and that is saying something.

Last edited:
I thought Glasgow was the arsehole of the UK.

scottish national party politics GIF by The SNP

Last edited:

Reckheim

Can't add much more to the video in the op, but wanted to say that Bald and Bankrupt is some of the best content on youtube, give his other videos a chance if you haven't yet.

Tams

I thought Glasgow was the arsehole of the UK.

scottish national party politics GIF by The SNP

It used to be.

But they changed their policing and the shipyards were given juicy defence contracts.

They're going heavy in on the diversity and multicultural angle now though, so expect them to undo all that hard work in the next decade.

It used to be.

But they changed their policing and the shipyards were given juicy defence contracts.

They're going heavy in on the diversity and multicultural angle now though, so expect them to undo all that hard work in the next decade.
I'm going to get myself banned soon, so I'm bowing out of this thread. Good day gentlemen.

fire burn GIF

Porcile

When I went back I was surprised at the number of niche independent shops that had survived the pandemic. On the other hand, what happened to all the Chinese restaurants lol? The U.K. needs to get back at what it's always been good at, entrepreneurialism and taking advantage the people's creativity to use as a soft power globally. The UK can still be a cultural powerhouse globally.

Facebook and Walmart aren't coming to town.

Go_Ly_Dow

It's pretty similar with the towns in West Virginia and Kentucky, they were coal mining towns and when the government took the coal away the towns died.
Yup, pretty common in areas in the world where the manufacturing left and was replaced by absolutely nothing. The forgotten victims of globalism.
When I went back I was surprised at the number of niche independent shops that had survived the pandemic. On the other hand, what happened to all the Chinese restaurants lol? The U.K. needs to get back at what it's always been good at, entrepreneurialism and taking advantage the people's creativity to use as a soft power globally. The UK can still be a cultural powerhouse globally.

Facebook and Walmart aren't coming to town.
Independent coffee shops and food vendors are thriving for sure. Big local markets also seem on the up which is great. It comes down to rents ultimately. The popular cities charge an absolute fortune just to rent a building. My friends brother runs a successful cafe in a small village and the rent is about £1.5-2k a month. He looked into moving the cafe to Cambridge and some places were charging £12k a month which is silly. There are also a lot of shuttered up shops in Cambridge so no surprises there...

I think the Chinese restaurants have decreased a bit in some areas because there's a lot more authentic offering these days, an increase in street food vendors and the hipsters want sushi.

Last edited:
It used to be.

Scotland is the UK's Canada. The barmy place up north so desperate to differentiate itself from the country it's attached to that it'll pursue any contrary policy, no matter how self-destructive.

Last edited:

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community
Two pages in, thread's already turned into political and economical armchair expert shit flinging fest.

So it fits the level of the video quite well!

Yes I quite like my armchair. Louis XV style, got a matching pair. Beautiful pieces of furniture.

Last edited:

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I've not come across this channel before, so I'm surprised that seemingly everyone in Clacton is more culturally literate than me, as they know who this guy is.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The UK Pension, Social Security equivalent, is only 203gbp/week??

Seems awful to have seniors subsisting on so little in a developed Western country. They’re stuck living in run down shacks, no wonder everyone’s drinking all the time.
The state pension is that, however every employer is signed up to an ‘optional’ pension scheme where you contribute from your monthly salary. I say optional, you’d have to be a pillock not to sign in to them.

My dad retired the other year and gets well over £2k a month (might be close to £3k) from his work pension and is now eligible for the state pension on top of this.

Not bad considering if you’ve planned for retirement your mortgage should be paid off at this point.

Banjo64

cumsessed
The UK is a country in decline.

You can have any view you want but please don’t try and back it up with 3 left wing rags.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The state pension is that, however every employer is signed up to an ‘optional’ pension scheme where you contribute from your monthly salary. I say optional, you’d have to be a pillock not to sign in to them.

My dad retired the other year and gets well over £2k a month (might be close to £3k) from his work pension and is now eligible for the state pension on top of this.

Not bad considering if you’ve planned for retirement your mortgage should be paid off at this point.
Ah, that's more reasonable.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Immigration is unstoppable. There are no amounts of walls or guards that can prevent it for entities as large as America or the EU.

But as you said the EU is handling this horrendously letting the border countries take the brunt. And thus camps have become the solution.
That’s absolutely not true at all. Countries should secure their borders and have effective processing for illegal migrants. Walls and guards might not stop it completely, but it can be the difference between 100k entering a year and 1m entering a year.

Last edited:

Banjo64

cumsessed
Ah, that's more reasonable.
The issue is with ‘deprived areas’ like this is that they are deprived because there are no jobs (seasonal work in seaside towns) so everyone is on benefits and not paying in to voluntary pension schemes and they don’t own their own houses either.

So yeah, some people are mightily screwed and have to rely on the state pension.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
You can have any view you want but please don’t try and back it up with 3 left wing rags.

I'm not left wing at all, these articles are simply stating the facts: it's better to be poor in Poland than in the UK. But if you want a different perspective, well, here you go.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I'm not left wing at all, these articles are simply stating the facts: it's better to be poor in Poland than in the UK. But if you want a different perspective, well, here you go.

Yeah that’s fine (y)

I won’t deny that we are not being ran correctly.

Go_Ly_Dow

That’s absolutely not true at all. Countries should secure their borders and have effective processing for illegal migrants. Walls and guards might not stop it completely, but it can be the difference between 100k entering a year and 1m entering a year.
With border security being basically non-existent across the EU, human traffickers are making a fortune.

The issue is with ‘deprived areas’ like this is that they are deprived because there are no jobs (seasonal work in seaside towns) so everyone is on benefits and not paying in to voluntary pension schemes and they don’t own their own houses either.

So yeah, some people are mightily screwed and have to rely on the state pension.
Yeah and home ownership is only really possible for the majority with a dual income, but then divorce rates are 30-50% in certain ethnic groups in the UK, which messes up those prospects. A lot of folks on out of work welfare as you say. Around 5.5million which is insane as the working age population is about 35-40mil. So these people won't be building up a private pension and I believe won't be contributing to be eligible for a state pension. Also unlikely to have savings and their own homes. Completely reliant on the state and bound to it.

Last edited:

Mobilemofo

its Margate ? Clayton on sea ? Nope I’m sure there are more deprived places.

I’ve seen some run down towns in the EU too (shock horror)

Charleroi for instance reminded me heavily of Margate.
Have a look at jaywick. I lived in Blackpool for years, but managed to upgrade my life. Jaywick makes Blackpool look like las Vegas.

clarky

Gold Member
$30/night hotels. That's Vietnam pricing :lollipop-medical:
I see your $30 and give you "the Orchid" up the road from me at $23.

Edit. If your ever in Scotland and fancy a weekend of you life you can book travel, accommodation (inc Breakfast ) AND all star Cabaret for 3 nights (with an option for a 4th night) for just £99.

Also bit upset at the OP's claims to the most deprived town, we've been the winner of that award for years.

On the plus side no need to plan for a pension, or retirement.

Edit: BTW i've been to some rough places in my life but nothing beats East Hastings in Vancouver or Phnom Penh, that shit was fucked up.

Last edited:

Pejo

I've never been out of the US other than a few quick stops in Mexico, but this video was just full of decent people in a bit of a run down area. I've been to lots of places in the US worse than this, and these British people are overwhelmingly friendly (at least the ones we saw on camera). Funny that over half of them were day drinking in public though.

If that's the worst that England has, with a few stabbings, then they're doing ok. My girlfriend and I just drove past a shootout in San Jose on the way to view a drive-thru Christmas lights display a few days ago, after I got accosted by a guy outside of a Starbucks and had him following me until I ducked into a grocery store.

Laieon

The issue is with ‘deprived areas’ like this is that they are deprived because there are no jobs (seasonal work in seaside towns)

That's part of it, but it's also that the opportunities that the seaside towns like these once had are just blatantly never coming back. These were probably hot spots back when traveling by air wasn't all that affordable so some cold English beach/pier was good enough for families closer to the beginning of the 1900s than the end, but now flights are extremely cheap (especially in/around Europe), so why spend money on a town like this when you could fly to a nice beach in a warmer climate (Spain, Portugal, etc...) and not spend that much more money? A quick google search shows flights from London to Spain in the middle of June for around £50.

I'm sure this place is a little bit more exciting in the middle of summer, but its still a town that probably built itself up around one specific industry that isn't going to be coming back any time soon.

As a Houstonian, it reminds me a lot of Galveston in that the glory days are long gone and the town does its best to attract tourists, but... its still Galveston and Cancun, Cozumel, and the Caribbean aren't too far away.

Last edited:
That's part of it, but it's also that the opportunities that the seaside towns like these once had are just blatantly never coming back. These were probably hot spots back when traveling by air wasn't all that affordable so some cold English beach/pier was good enough for families closer to the beginning of the 1900s than the end, but now flights are extremely cheap (especially in/around Europe), so why spend money on a town like this when you could fly to a nice beach in a warmer climate (Spain, Portugal, etc...) and not spend that much more money? A quick google search shows flights from London to Spain in the middle of June for around £50.

I'm sure this place is a little bit more exciting in the middle of summer, but its still a town that probably built itself up around one specific industry that isn't going to be coming back any time soon.

As a Houstonian, it reminds me a lot of Galveston in that the glory days are long gone and the town does its best to attract tourists, but... its still Galveston and Cancun, Cozumel, and the Caribbean aren't too far away.

June? If you've got kids that's a £240 fine per child.

Top Bottom