• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HoloLens 2

onQ123

bQcgOU.jpg

Last edited:

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
Title and a pic and no details. Seems like it was posted too fast. I assume OP will add in ReBurn ReBurn 's info?

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Full conference:

Shame they didn't have WMR 2.0 to show as well or something. Maybe after the event? Or it's just outside the scope of a Mobile World Congress....

https://www.roadtovr.com/mwc-2019-hololens-2-mozilla-firefox-reality/

Edit: er, nm, you have the other thread for what was essentially a HoloLens2 Direct since they barely had any other stuff to show. So why make this thread as well and splinter discussion of an already narrow and barely gaming related topic further? Every related thread has next to no discussion...

Last edited:
An awesome piece of tech, but it's not gaming. It's for something serious.

Not yet, no. But Tim Sweeney was on stage announcing Unreal Engine support for HoloLens, as well as hinting about future gaming related projects.

If MS is releasing a consumer oriented (and priced!) HoloLens product in a year or two, I'll be grabbing one for sure. I'm kinda interested in mixed reality gaming prospects, killing a horde of monsters inside your real house etc.

onQ123

Unreal Engine 4 support is coming to HoloLens 2

Microsoft-MWC0133hololens-2-tim-sweeney-epic-games.jpg

Microsoft closed out today’s big HoloLens 2 debut with a surprise appearance by Epic Games CEO, Tim Sweeney. The gaming exec was clearly impressed by the technology’s future for both developement and consumer augmented reality.

“I believe that AR is going to be the primary platform of the future for both work and entertainment,” he told the crowd at the event.

The Fortnite creator is kicking things off on the development side, announcing that Unreal Engine 4 support will be coming to the headset. The move is part of a larger strategy for Microsoft to open the system up, as it looks to grow its key foray into the world of mixed reality.

For Epic, meanwhile, it’s part of a larger embrace of both Microsoft’s solution and all things AR. Sweeney noted that the company is not ready to announce any kind of consumer-facing AR offering, that they’re certainly on the way, and the company “will support HoloLens in all of our endeavors.”

Not yet, no. But Tim Sweeney was on stage announcing Unreal Engine support for HoloLens, as well as hinting about future gaming related projects.

If MS is releasing a consumer oriented (and priced!) HoloLens product in a year or two, I'll be grabbing one for sure. I'm kinda interested in mixed reality gaming prospects, killing a horde of monsters inside your real house etc.

The same Tim Sweeney who basically was accusing Microsoft of being a horrible company a few years back now on stage kissing them. Oh boy the 2020s are going to be cruel to some people.

Redneckerz

Those long posts don't cover that red neck boy
He did in the Kinect thread that also wasn't related to gaming.
Then this thread has little merit but seeing that UE4 Hololens support was posted just now, i guess this is a catch all thread for all things Hololens 2.

Really great, easily the best AR headset out there. It's interesting to see the UI design considerations they are taking, they seem to be pushing well on that front.

L0wMax

Seems like something to convince my work to buy. We have a need for an easier way to view CAD models.

Calibos

Sweet! Been waiting for this announce as my company is getting into AR...these are amazing pieces of tech. Not so much for gaming, but for training and support etch, they are excellent.

One consumer application is guided navigation. Imagine wearing something like this in an airport, stadium, mall and getting a arrow overlay to your destination. No more getting lost in those huge airport terminals. The issue is of course battery life and how weird it looks in public. I wonder if truly mobile AR won't ever be a 'thing' until it's integrated into your eyeglasses so nobody can actually tell you're using it. That's SCI-FI and at least 15-20 years out.

Last edited:

Trilobit

As someone not so AR/VR-savvy, what is keeping these gadgets from showing 100% FOV? I tried an Oculus Rift a while back and was disappointed by how narrow the viewfield was.

Top Bottom