• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HoloLens has support for Unity

Can we get Konami to make a Yugioh hololens game?

No? I'll buy an Xbox tho- okay...

:(

Great for people who want to use that fairly popular engine though. Hopefully we get good HoloLens games.

I expect shovelware too though sadly. I can't help it with so many shit Unity games on PC.

I wouldn't call Unity "the world's best engine" (more like "the most flexible one"), but whatever. But, still, I would be more surprised if HoloLens did not support Unity.

HoloLens has the potential to become an amazing platform for gaming, and Microsoft is announcing a key partnership today to help that happen. It's working with Unity Technologies to bring HoloLens support to the Unity game engine. That means that developers will be able to work with a capable and popular engine while creating games for the upcoming augmented-reality headset. Unity sells itself as more than a game engine — and certainly, it can be used for more — but it's best known as the engine that sits behind popular titles like Hearthstone, Deus Ex: The Fall, and Hitman Go.

Caayn

EdGHxi6.gif

Gif from Doffen

atr0cious

Great for people who want to use that fairly popular engine though. Hopefully we get good HoloLens games.

Fortunately, Hololens isn't tethered to anything, so you won't need an Xbone.

Circinus

I expect shovelware too though sadly. I can't help it with so many shit Unity games on PC.

Yu-Gi-Oh is what I was thinking about as well when I hear about HoloLens and its potential for games. ^.^

Would be great indeed.

But wow does HoloLens sound amazing. This is really groundbreaking innovation imho.

I wonder how the tech is under the hood. Seems technically very impressive and by far the most advanced AR glasses. I wonder what the resolution is of the projector and what the battery life is like.

Nzyme32

It's nice if it actually works like that in the final product. The current impressions of Hololens seem great but the conditions were heavily controlled. Looking forward to hearing more and seeing what developers get on board. Unity is a fine starting point, but not hearing too much else in terms of developers ready to hop aboard, but it's all early days, even though a release is planned at the same time as the new Windows releases iirc.

Blanquito

Remember that hololens doesn't have any cables attached to anything. That's great for portability, ease of use, etc. But, for video games, you have the same issues as mobile devices: heat, battery, etc.

Bsigg12

It's nice if it actually works like that in the final product. The current impressions of Hololens seem great but the conditions were heavily controlled. Looking forward to hearing more and seeing what developers get on board. Unity is a fine starting point, but not hearing too much else in terms of developers ready to hop aboard, but it's all early days, even though a release is planned at the same time as the new Windows releases iirc.

They have a bunch of sessions planned at Build with working units so we should hear some impressions over the next few days.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Remember that hololens doesn't have any cables attached to anything. That's great for portability, ease of use, etc. But, for video games, you have the same issues as mobile devices: heat, battery, etc.

unless you're using a PC / Xbox and just utilizing streaming across the network

Reallink

It's less an issue of if it actually works like that, and more an issue of what it looks like to the user (i.e. effective perceived resolution, image quality, etc...). I mean if it looks like a GBA screen, it's practically useless.

Servbot24

Banned
Why doesn't the title just say Unity?

Anyways that's neat I guess. I kinda take for granted that Unity supports nearly everything.

Genio88

It's less an issue of if it actually works like that, and more an issue of what it looks like to the user (i.e. effective perceived resolution, image quality, etc...). I mean if it looks like a GBA screen, it's practically useless.

i guess that will depend of the content you'll play, i think Hololens will be at least 1080p

Nzyme32

Well yeah it's both issues really - will it end up failing some of the times I attempt it, how accurate would it be etc. Once developers, journalists and others get to use it a lot more publicly, and report their experiences in more depth, it should be a whole lot more interesting. Hopefully they will have some of that happening at Build

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Getting strong Kinect vibes from this.
demos over-promise the final product.

Verdict from HoloLense back when they announced it in Jan were positive. Today they gave out 100 to developers to try it out.

Its not like they are hiding anything, lets just wait for the impressions now.

Compsiox

Banned
I have to say. This thread has the worst title I have ever seen. It is preventing any discussion from taking place because no one knows this is about Unity.

Three

Verdict from HoloLense back when they announced it in Jan were positive. Today they gave out 100 to developers to try it out.

Its not like they are hiding anything, lets just wait for the impressions now.

Hololens is cool put don't expect it to look like that video at all. The hololens only has a very small field of view so the virtual screen size would be very limited, especially at the distance the guy is standing from it in the video, it would be pretty useless.

Whoever creates the first tabletop game using little Bluetooth/IoT pucks as the character pedestals or even cards wins ALL the money.

Imagine playing the Mechwarrior tabletop game where you could see the mechs actually fire and take damage. Or imagine playing the Pokemon TCG where your active monsters are represented by fully animated 3D models.

FUCK someone please make these now.

Hololens is cool put don't expect it to look like that video at all. The hololens only has a very small field of view so the virtual screen size would be very limited, especially at the distance the guy is standing from it in the video, it would be pretty useless.

Your real, actual, human eyes would be useless for watching a video on a 'screen' that size at the distance he's standing from it. Hes like a foot and a half away from a 15' screen haha. HoloLens or not that's gonna be a bad experience.

Tntnico

About gaming and Hololens. We know that next apparition for Hololens will be E3.

What if Microsoft plans to launch a first "light" version of Hololens that needs an Xbox One early 2016 and then a true, self-contained Hololens for Holiday 2017 ?

That way, the "Home" version of the device could be cheaperand provide to players :
- Stream Xbox One games to Hololens
- Special effects from the game into our living room (snow, leafs, bullets etc..)

Top Bottom