• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HOLY CRAP WOWOWOWOWOW: Nintendo of America is hiring a JP/EN translator it seems

KyleCross

People need to know the interpreter for Suda51 was not at fault and did his job perfectly. Suda not only went off script, he also talked funny, made obscure references, and interrupted himself multiple times as he tried to find the words to describe what he was talking about. Supposedly he wasn't making much sense in Japanese at times either. But no one watching the English would know so cue the "fire the translator" and other far harsher comments I saw online.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I really don't understand the apologists for the translation at the Switch conference. The dry delivery may have been serviceable interpretation if it were in the context of acting as a liason between suits in a meeting, but it was a public-facing conference meant to build excitement for a new product. I get that real-time translation's tough, but we've seen plenty of past examples where the interpreters did a decent job of conveying not only the message, but the emotion. It's not impossible.

And sighing, constant 'umm'ing, and getting flustered and panicky is certainly not a "fine" handling of someone going off-script while you're being broadcast to millions of people. I understand the guy was taken aback and Suda's comments were tough to filter, but you have no business being in such a conspicuous position if you're not cool under pressure.

That said, the base problem is that Nintendo even designed a conference that let these potential problems have a chance to happen. Nothing in the presentation couldn't have been done in a Direct video, and none of these snafus would have occurred in that format.

ecosse_011172

Trinen does a lot more than translation, and has for quite some time. Man has degrees in international business, it's really only a matter of time and his willingness before he gets a top job in NoA, but again I'd assume he'd be groomed for CEO versus President.

Yep, I really like him, I was being a bit facetious.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
lol, do you guys actually think this is related to the (perfectly fine) translator from the event?

I guess it has to be, why would a japan-based company need more than one translator in their US HQ, right on the brink of a new console launch, full with japanese titles, games, manuals and information that has to be taken care of Oh well.

I mean, come on guys.

marmoka

Banned
Calm down people and forget what happened with Suda.

Probably they need more people to translate more of their Japanese games.

-shadow-

Maybe we'll get actual translations this time instead of whatever the hell Fire Emblem Fates was supposed to be.

Poor live translator who lost his job.

Wulfric

Heh, that was fast. That Suda translation was that bad eh?

Did you try writing PSA, Boss Doggie? Because that thread title is gold. xD

If you actually look at the posting date for the job it says Nov 30th. And honestly they pretty much always have the position listed on their jobs page.

Lum1n3s

RP2AmtF.gif

Wrong one

m62Aan5.gif

Galang

Banned
Why are people only mentioning the Suda part? He went from sounding overly enthusiastic to bored and confused within five minutes of the conference. The entire thing was terrible

U2NUMB

The crazy title of the thread made me think something awesome like more pre ordered opened up. I have never left a thread with larger blue balls.

Sakujou

Banned
you're jumping to conclusions, on the spot translators are used for one-time-occasions, they are in a company for longer terms.
translators are sitting in some basements and translate their stuff without any pressure.

jennetics

Not sure if mentioned already but

"The difference between interpreting and translation is only the difference in the medium: the interpreter translates orally, while a translator interprets written text."

I don't think this has to do with the Suda interpreter since they're hiring for a translator.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
dat title edit lol

Why are people only mentioning the Suda part? He went from sounding overly enthusiastic to bored and confused within five minutes of the conference. The entire thing was terrible

Yeah, even outside the Suda part, the guy was losing it especially during the Splatoon part.

Biske

It is amazing to see that people really think companies move this quickly. Let alone that they wouldn't have other people in the pipeline ready to take over.

Apathy

Even putting aside the fact that game companies are hiring all the time, it's so funny that you guys think a giant corporation like Nintendo could fire someone, get approval/budget for a new job listing, and post it within four days. Corporations don't move that quickly!

GAF doesn't know about business?! Shocking?! From the great minds that want companies to sell products at a loss just so they can get items cheaper, you don't say.

ToastyFrog

Inexplicable Treasure Hate
Corporations don't move this quickly to fire and replace. And taking delight in the thought of someone losing their job isn't really the best look, GAF.

The stream translator was good.
The problem with Suda is that he went off rails as usual.

Yeah, that was clearly a case of Suda going off the prepared script that everyone else used, and the translator doing his best to keep up with an unexpected plot twist. Not the interpreter's fault.

Corporations don't move this quickly to fire and replace. And taking delight in the thought of someone losing their job isn't really the best look, GAF.

Yeah, that was clearly a case of Suda going off the prepared script that everyone else used, and the translator doing his best to keep up with an unexpected plot twist. Not the interpreter's fault.
This is a site that has some members celebrating studios closing down if they don't like their games. Nothing is off limits.

Pretty funny coincidence, but I'm sure that's all it is.

Maybe we'll get actual translations this time instead of whatever the hell Fire Emblem Fates was supposed to be.

Poor live translator who lost his job.

FE Fates' localization script is mostly pretty great outside of that Saizo/Beuka mishap. Regardless, I doubt this one new position will change anything significant regarding NOA's translation process.

bomblord1

Banned
I was talking to a friend of mine who was watching the stream and live chatting with his Japanese friends.

When Suda51 came out they were watching it without the voice over and said something to the effect "Wow, don't get mad if the translator screws this up what he's saying is basically gibberish"

I'm pretty sure the Switch conference has caused GAF to lose its mind. Or at least more than usual.

This is the most nothing news I have ever seen.

And yes it's pretty obvious Suda51 went off the rails. No company is actually going to do live translation for a big event like this.

These things are always rehearsed to death and I'm guessing Suda51 either didn't show to rehearsal or wasn't paying attention!

I'm pretty sure the Switch conference has caused GAF to lose its mind. Or at least more than usual.

This is the most nothing news I have ever seen.

And yes it's pretty obvious Suda51 went off the rails. No company is actually going to do live translation for a big event like this.

These things are always rehearsed to death and I'm guessing Suda51 either didn't show to rehearsal or wasn't paying attention!

It really has lost its collective mind. So many minor details are getting blown way out of proportion.

Top Bottom