• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

Zimbardo

SapientWolf said:
Yep. I'm a 60fps kind of guy. But there seems to be something weird going on in certain GC maps. Some kind of memory leak is dragging the performance down. Otherwise, I've been having a pretty good time.

yes, i hope they release a patch that improves performance ASAP.

i'm kinda surprised that they haven't already. there's a ton of people complaining about their framerate on various forums. some people with tri sli gtx580 cards and only getting 30fps, etc.

its ridiculous.

SumGamer said:
I'm starting to think those who doesn't like MP were playing TDM? I tried TDM last night and it was sniper fest, lots of sniping to runaway from. Going back to Ground Control is much better experience.

Can anyone tell me what am I suppose to do with yellow icon in Battle Commander mode? Sometime I get enemy name with skull icon, I think that means the game want me to kill him. Other times I get this strange icon of radio or something which I have no idea what I should do, control that area for a set period of time? Anybody has a link with those details for me to look at?

The guys marked with a skull have bounties set on them because they are running up a killstreak. The more skulls the higher the killstreak and the higher the bounty you get for eliminating them. I'm not sure about the radio icon though.

SumGamer said:
Can anyone tell me what am I suppose to do with yellow icon in Battle Commander mode? Sometime I get enemy name with skull icon, I think that means the game want me to kill him. Other times I get this strange icon of radio or something which I have no idea what I should do, control that area for a set period of time? Anybody has a link with those details for me to look at?

Hmm, might be getting terminology mixed up, but when you are a priority target, any yellow dots on your radar are enemy players with a mission to kill you, so you should try to take them out first. I think that yellow skull icons are players killed by a priority target. Can you explain this radio icon? There isn't really any sort of "control this area" mission when you're a priority target.

G_Berry

Banned
Zimbardo said:
yes, i hope they release a patch that improves performance ASAP.

i'm kinda surprised that they haven't already. there's a ton of people complaining about their framerate on various forums. some people with tri sli gtx580 cards and only getting 30fps, etc.

its ridiculous.

The game does run like shit but in all fairness, the game itself is shit so it's kind of doing me a favor ;)

I wish this game had a server browser, getting sick of 100 ping matches in a twitch shooter like this. Matchmaking is good for me so far but it still feels like it's searching for a 200 ping match and throws me in, servers only help so much but you still need to be placed in a good ping match.

I know that I moan about this game a lot :p but I do like it, but the entire package feels best for a rental week then to actually own full price.

no angel

From what I understand skulls are enemy infantry with a bounty, a radio icon is a drone with a bounty and there's one more for an enemy vehicle with a bounty.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Diablohead said:
When searching for a match the game keeps saying unable to create a beacon, unable to see the servers or something?

Try going out to the dashboard (360?) and back in.

KAOS CHEFS' update is being worked on, he hopes to have it out tonight to let people know what is going on with patches, etc.

Sethos

Banned
Tried playing with some mates last night ( 360 ) we couldn't get into a game together at all for an hour and a half. Lame.

And game still needs a no-respawn mode, stat!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
G_Berry said:
The game does run like shit but in all fairness, the game itself is shit so it's kind of doing me a favor ;)
The problem is that the MP is actually fun when the framerate is stable. If it was garbage all around I could turn my back and walk away with no regret.

Klocker

Deadly Cyclone said:
Try going out to the dashboard (360?) and back in.

KAOS CHEFS' update is being worked on, he hopes to have it out tonight to let people know what is going on with patches, etc.

thanks for the update... I keep checking back here hoping for good news.

G_Berry

Banned
SapientWolf said:
The problem is that the MP is actually fun when the framerate is stable. If it was garbage all around I could turn my back and walk away with no regret.

The mp is so lifeless and janky though, it honestly feels like a mod or something.

Glad I only paid $27.

Not doing too bad tonight, working on vehicle pro achievement in multi so every time I get 400 BP I spawn in one, only annoying thing is that a teammate will spawn in my turret and do shit and we die, I prefer to bunny hop between driving and shooting myself to net a few kills, I do rather well with it imo.

fuck all you shitty team mates shooting and missing :(

I now know what game to compare this to now in terms of SP. Turning Point Fall of Liberty. God I had such high hopes for that game (and this one) but damn if it didn't disappoint.

Ugh. At least Multiplayer is good enough to tide me over for awhile.

Spat_triate

I just finished the entire campaign; good gawd, what a shitty experience that was. It felt like it was made by the folks who flunked out of the Call of Duty (tm) School of FPS Design.

The story was trite and predictable, the visuals were wildly inconsistent and the game sounds were mediocre.

Developers, for the love of God, please...please do NOT clone a clone of a popular game, and mess up the only things they did right.

I haven't touched the multiplayer yet and I don't think I'm going to.

What a waste.

Spat_triate said:
I just finished the entire campaign; good gawd, what a shitty experience that was. It felt like it was made by the folks who flunked out of the Call of Duty (tm) School of FPS Design.

The story was trite and predictable, the visuals were wildly inconsistent and the game sounds were mediocre.

Developers, for the love of God, please...please do NOT clone a clone of a popular game, and mess up the only things they did right.

What a waste.
The single player was a bit simple and cod like but that was the point of homefront.

Try the multi at least, you can play it online without using the battle code (you are limited to lv 5 for free) but you can keep on trying it, play a few rounds the MP is the real meat.

Mikey Jr.

Spat_triate said:

What a waste.

You would do yourself a disservice by not trying the multi. I, and many other people, say thats where the game shines. To me, the SP was an after thought, and is just there to say that they have SP. In my opinion, MP is really good.

Spat_triate said:

What a waste.

I kind of enjoyed it, your teammates are pretty damn stupid but it wasn't all that bad, it did feel like a huge war so they did get that right and Im a sucker for the whole resistance thing, if I had to give it a score I would say 7.

saladine1

I have to admit that at first, I didn't like the MP in this game. I kept getting killed left right and centre. I approached the game like COD, running around like a maniac shooting and dying.
Then, I started to try a different tactic and slowed my approach. Taking cover, taking my time with movement and shooting. Then it all fell into place. I started getting more kills, knew when to unleash certain drones at the best times etc..
Now, I really,really like the MP!
It's different and needs to be approached in a different manner compared to other run and gun games.
The only problem now is the connection to sever issues and not being able to play with friends.
Is there any dedicated servers for us Aussies?
All my mates are in the red no matter what time of the day we play.
Is this getting fixed soon?

saladine1 said:
I have to admit that at first, I didn't like the MP in this game. I kept getting killed left right and centre. I approached the game like COD, running around like a maniac shooting and dying.
Then, I started to try a different tactic and slowed my approach. Taking cover, taking my time with movement and shooting. Then it all fell into place. I started getting more kills, knew when to unleash certain drones at the best times etc..
Now, I really,really like the MP!
It's different and needs to be approached in a different manner compared to other run and gun games.

Agreed. If you're careful in the game, it more often than not pays off. If you're wreckless, someone in the game is going to see your movement and since it takes a few bullets to kill, its generally not a good idea.

Move-and-cover is particularly effective when watching radar or using UAV to check or enemy movement.

Overall, MP isn't the revolution I was hoping it would be, but Battle Commander and Battle Points are both GREAT and I'd love to see other games take a hint. I wish they had taken more influence from the BF series as far as spawns and map design go, but I'm still very happy with MP and it gives a nice break from BC2.

And why the hell have they not acknowledged that you can't join on friends on the PC version? Extremely aggravating.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I hope every FPS from now until forever incorporates some variation of Homefront's battlepoints system. It's such a great idea. Nothing feels so good as seeing choppers in the air, spawning my cheap little robot dude, and knocking those 2000+ BP choppers out of the air in seconds. My only issue with the system is that it drives me crazy when I end a match with a significant amount of BP. Sometimes I actually grenade myself just so I can respawn and drop a bomb.

mujun

Just finished the single player. As a straight shooter the game is 8 out of 10 material to me but combined with the premise and atmosphere it rates higher in my book. Loved it.

+feel of the shooting and weapons
+atmosphere
+attempts at drama and shock
+pacing
+set pieces
+team mates

-transparent shootout areas and predictable enemy spawns/entrances
-samey feel to the guns (felt like there was basically an LMG, SMG, assault rifle, etc)
-simple enemy AI
-illusion of openness, this game would have been awesome with bigger areas and more freedom in how you approach enemies. I'd like to feel more like a guerilla
-needed more vehicle stuff imo

+/- script, there is some depth to the characters despite what I've heard on podcasts
+/- plot, it's unrealistic, sure but it's a hell of a lot more interesting, engaging and better played out than COD.

cackhyena

First come, first served situation here, guys. I've no interest in this extra stuff Amazon threw my way. I'm already selling this game back. Here you go.

"Dear Amazon.com Customer,

The Amazon Video Games team thanks you for your order of Homefront for Xbox 360. Now it's time to get you your bonus codes and digital strategy guide.

Here are your bonus codes: HM4FF-FK2WW-HP9WV-QHXQD-FCVKZ and 9P3WK-RFMQX-9HM6V-GT92V-C6KPZ

These codes will give you access for the male (Connor) and female (Rianna) outfits for your PSN Avatar.

How to Use Your Code:
Step 1: Sign in to Xbox LIVE from the Xbox Dashboard on your Xbox 360 Console
Step 2: Press the "Ring of Light Button" in the middle of your controller
Step 3: Navigate to the Marketplace blade
Step 4: Select "Redeem Code"
Step 5: Enter the code above (that matches your avatar's gender) exactly as shown above
Step 6: Your download will begin to your selected storage device

Here is the link to the Homefront: Enter the Occupation Digital Mini Guide:

Homefront: Enter the Occupation Digital Mini Guide
[PDF, 3.6 MB]

To download the PDF, click the above link to open in your browser window and save the PDF to your desktop.

Thank you for your continued support of Amazon.com/games.

~Amazon.com Video Games Editors"

Outside of some of the multi achievements, 61 collect and finishing act 3 without death i'm done, can't even connect online any more I get constant failed beacon messages or get kicked 2/3'rds into a winning match with the message server not found, it was working fine up until last night when I had some troubles.

Glad that I was able to play and try it out but it's done, dedicated servers were nice but still flawed in this game.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Here is the update the Homefront guys posted:

"The Homefront Team has been working around the clock identifying and fixing issues surrounding Multiplayer functionality. We want to give everyone an update on what issues are known, how we are working on them, and when you can expect to see fixes available for download.

Important Notes:
- Xbox 360: The Homefront team is finishing up our first Critical Title Update that will address the Profile Corruption issue (also known as the ‘Freeze’ bug), as this is our highest priority. We are also including a fix for multiplayer connectivity and ping time issues, where players are being sent to distant server locations at the expense of performance. We expect this update to be submitted to Microsoft really soon and we will be working with them very closely to get this approved and deployed as quickly as possible.
- PlayStation 3: We are also working on several multiplayer connectivity and freeze issues on this platform as well. Many Homefront issues occur equally across all consoles but the PlayStation 3 Comprehensive Patch will be sent to SONY as soon as the issues are resolved.
- PC: The PC patching process is a much more “real-time” situation, given they do not need to go through any kind of certification process and fixes are being made and delivered as soon as they are resolved.

Homefront Update Plans

1. Update 1: Xbox 360 Critical Title Update
- Scheduled for Microsoft Submission in the next day or two
- Fixing the Xbox Live Profile Corruption ‘Freeze’ Issue
- Fix for players being matched in distant server locations

2. Update 2: Additional Game Issues Fixes
- Playstation 3 Update will release as soon as fixes are ready.
- Xbox 360 will submit as soon as Update 1 is released live.
- Fixes include:
o Multiplayer Freezing (affecting X360 & PS3)
o Experience and Statistics Resets (affecting X360 & PS3)
o Improving Party Matchmaking & Joining with Friends (affecting X360 & PS3)
o Fixing the Beacon Error (affecting X360 only)
o Correcting inconsistent Leaderboards data (affecting X360 & PS3)

Thank you for your patience and understanding as we work through this process. Our Community Management and Customer Service teams will do their absolute best to keep you up to speed and aware of developments.

We apologize for the inconvenience to your Homefront Multiplayer experience and are working 24/7 to make it as enjoyable as possible!

Sincerely,
The Homefront Team"

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Being able to dolphin dive is pretty stupid. All I see are retards jumping and then going prone all over the map.

So I just bought this since all of my friends are playing, and I can't play online!

Damn, when my friend said it was a clusterfuck, that was an understatement.

By the time the 360 patch hits knowing microsoft cert speeds it will be too late, also this shows how important it is to have some special connection to the game via dev studio directly for updates like matchmaking fixes. It needs to become more common practice.

Woo-Fu

Banned
It is a shame there is so much wrong with this game. I like the weapons, vehicles, and combat. Hate the overly scripted, too short, one long corridor broken up into tiny arenas campaign.

Mikey Jr.

Homefront deputed at number 6 on the xbox live list thing.

Really nice debut for a brand new IP. Number 6 means it did quite well in terms of sales.

Fugu

I totally love this game's multiplayer. It's not the greatest but the maps are fantastic and the gunplay is tonnes o' fun. The vehicles are always good for a laugh, too (can't count how many times I've seen a guy get into an awkward situation with a tank and subsequently try to maneuver his way out, only to get blown up before he's able).

I wish they would fix the PS3 version so it doesn't freeze the whole system everytime i play.

I suppose its difficult to crack a champagne bottle on a turd though.

Concept17

When this game works, its fucking great. But its so damned hard to get myself and a couple other friends into the same server, and all play without crashing/lagging to death or something else going wrong.

Been playing the PC version, and if they could fix the memory leaks, and the server browser, this game will be golden. There are of course some balancing issues, but nothing that can't be dealt with.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Concept17 said:
When this game works, its fucking great. But its so damned hard to get myself and a couple other friends into the same server, and all play without crashing/lagging to death or something else going wrong.

Been playing the PC version, and if they could fix the memory leaks, and the server browser, this game will be golden. There are of course some balancing issues, but nothing that can't be dealt with.
I agree. I hope they get on top of it before the game is abandoned because I don't know of anything that I can substitute for the Homefront MP. People make CoD and BF comparisons but it's really its own thing.

eznark

Banned
Just finished the campaign. That is a very good world and a pretty good game. Glad to have played through it. Back to the multiplayer!

eznark said:
Just finished the campaign. That is a very good world and a pretty good game. Glad to have played through it. Back to the multiplayer!

Wow, that's refreshing to hear! Everyone and his dog have been crapping on it, left right and centre. Care to share any further thoughts?

eznark

Banned
Pylon_Trooper said:
Wow, that's refreshing to hear! Everyone and his dog have been crapping on it, left right and centre. Care to share any further thoughts?

Well, I took the game on its face. If you go in as a jaded ass hole, a lot of the game might seem cheesy. Every point that Kaos wanted to be powerful though, I found powerful. I don't think I have ever hated an enemy more than I do in this game. It's not a gratuitous hatred either. You don't get there cheaply.

Yes it was a little crammed and to be honest, a couple chapters even dragged a bit, but the first two and last two chapters are excellent. They manage to do a good job varying up gameplay and even the standard mission types have fun twists on them. I really hope that now that they have the world down, Kaos will really push the game play for the sequel.

It's not the most polished or best experience out there, but I think of all the new shooter ip's bouncing around this clearly has the most potential. I think some of my enthusiasm has to do with tempered expectations and Kaos did themselves zero favors by talking about Half Life, but I am very excited for the sequel to this game.

Please use the new Crytek engine!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
PC Patch Information:

http://www.homefront-game.com/blog-post/homefront-pc-patch-103-announced

Digital Extremes and KAOS are happy to announce our first major update for the PC version of the game. This patch will update the client to version 1.0.3 and is currently undergoing internal testing and is scheduled for release early next week! The complete list of changes can be found below in the story.

FEATURES

NEW FEATURE – DEMO URL
- A DemoURL can now be specified in the server playlist, this is used to indicate the location of stored demo files to user’s in-game (see the multiplayer options screen). A good practice for server admins would be to share the demo folder via FTP, this would allow users to grab demos of games they starred in, and also (very importantly!) allow users and anti-cheat authorities to download evidence for cheat reporting. Incidentally, it is now possible to dump all users unique steamID's from both in-game, and in-demos to the console or text file (this will make reporting abusive players and enforcing bans incredibly easy).

Improved Squad Based Gameplay
- Players will now re-spawn at a point nearest to the closest member of their squad.
- Squad mates will now be colored blue on the mini-map and full-screen maps.

GAME BALANCE
- RPG's now deal additional damage to HMMWV's
- Lowered m200 and m110 sniper rifle damages. The only 1 shot possible is now headshots.
- Flak jacket now has a lower BP cost, and a slight effectiveness buff.
- Diablo damage adjusted
- Weapon is taken out of ADS and accuracy decreases when jumping.

OPTIMIZATIONS & FIXES
- The Rhino drones weapon attachment was not being properly moved with the Rhino drone on dedicated servers, causing the rockets to fire incorrectly. This is now fixed.
- We have added some animation optimizations for large player games.
- Several UI related improvements were added for large player games .
- Fixed scaling text zooming on Battle Commander when opening up the battle chat or squad UI.
- Switched the buttons around on the load out rename confirmation dialog to better abide by conventions.
- Improved SLI/CrossFireX support.
- A few reported issues with WinXP 64 bit edition have been addressed.
- Improved menu navigation with analogue controls.

General Improvements
- User feedback for kicks and bans has been improved.
- The intermission lobby now displays clan tags.
- Text chat is now possible in the kill cam, spawn selection, and intermission lobby screens.

New Settings & Control Options
- EnableD3D10/11 is now accessible via the system settings menu.
- Mouse acceleration is now accessible via the controls menu.
- Mouse smoothing is now accessible via the controls menu.

eznark said:
Well, I took the game on its face. If you go in as a jaded ass hole, a lot of the game might seem cheesy. Every point that Kaos wanted to be powerful though, I found powerful. I don't think I have ever hated an enemy more than I do in this game. It's not a gratuitous hatred either. You don't get there cheaply.

Yes it was a little crammed and to be honest, a couple chapters even dragged a bit, but the first two and last two chapters are excellent. They manage to do a good job varying up gameplay and even the standard mission types have fun twists on them. I really hope that now that they have the world down, Kaos will really push the game play for the sequel.

It's not the most polished or best experience out there, but I think of all the new shooter ip's bouncing around this clearly has the most potential. I think some of my enthusiasm has to do with tempered expectations and Kaos did themselves zero favors by talking about Half Life, but I am very excited for the sequel to this game.

Please use the new Crytek engine!

Awesome. I think with this experience and groundwork, Kaos will make good on a sequel. As it stands, my copy is still on the inbound...arriving Monday or Tuesday, but I'm glad I've kind of skipped the peanut gallery's temporary stay, because I really like Kaos' style of multiplayer.

Nice to see Sapient giving it the thumbs up, too! And damn, that patch looks like it fixes a few things. Hopefully that memory leak issue.

Top Bottom