• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homefront |OT| of The Greater Goliath Republic

Dabanton said:
Just had an update for this 360 version.

It's just for profile freezes
Homefront Twitter said:
As you’ve probably heard, the Xbox 360 Title Update just went live this morning which we expect to address all ‘Profile Freeze’ issues. In the background, we’ve been hard at work on further improvements which should be following hot on the heels of this update. Details to follow tomorrow.

desu

vidal said:
Wasn't the PC patch supposed to come out earlier this week?

It's late ... (surprise surprise).

Here's the latest (this is not an April Fool's joke

- Final patch testing is wrapping up and we will be releasing as soon as it as approved. How soon? ASAP.

- For those interested in the dedicated server build, we have added additional RCON functionality for 3rd party tools and final testing is underway with GSPs and individuals in various territories worldwide. I have several open slots, so if you are interested in testing and providing feedback send me a PM with your full name, email address, and SkypeID (if you have one).

Thanks for your patience - I'll update the thread as soon as I have additional info.

http://www.homefront-game.com/forums/topic/13517

Mikey Jr.

Some guy on the forums says there is a hotfix out that...

"Parrot spot gives you 20BP and kill assist is now 30BP (30 and 40 before)

White Phos strike is now costs 1600BP (1300 BP before)"

April fools day joke? Not on my ps3 now, so can't check. This is for the ps3.

So against my better judgement, I went ahead and picked this up on PC thanks to the current Amazon promotion. I am assuming that the player base is still pretty good? I am mostly getting it for MP so that is all I am worried about.

Makoto

darkressurection said:
So against my better judgement, I went ahead and picked this up on PC thanks to the current Amazon promotion. I am assuming that the player base is still pretty good? I am mostly getting it for MP so that is all I am worried about.

2,603 peak players today. That's compared to the 7,000+ on release week and 5,000+ last week. Yeah.

Makoto

I, too, bought it for $40 (with Metro 2033 as the pre-order bonus) and so far, I'm sort of wishing this wasn't a Steamworks game so that I could at least sell it. The campaign is okay but I was really looking forward to the multiplayer and at the moment I'm anticipating the sniper nerf because snipers make some of the more open maps frustrating to play.

Grisby

About to start this up tomorrow. Any tips on the SP or anything? I know its short supposedly but if I play it on hard I might get some more time out of it. How difficult is hard?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have been getting in games a lot better now, easier with parties too. The next 360 patch should be hitting certification soon as well.

I got a chance to play this morning and found myself having a lot more fun than I expected. The SP campaign actually seems somewhat interesting, and the MP is a lot of fun (with the exception of snipers, but there is supposed to be a patch for that right?)

Grisby said:
About to start this up tomorrow. Any tips on the SP or anything? I know its short supposedly but if I play it on hard I might get some more time out of it. How difficult is hard?
it's like the game tells you to do everything, you won't get lost at all.

desu

Just reached 75 on PC!

Celebration screens:

Verdict:
Its a really fun game but it suffers the same things that annoyed me in BC2 already! 75% of the people playing this game are either dumb or have no clue on how the game is supposed to be played. Nobody needs perfect aim and so on but for gods sake, is covering, capping points, destroying vehicles or drones really that hard?

I recently played lots of things to Expert so I usually tried to save most of my BP, especially the Cluster Bomb with 1600BP is expensive. So in this one match there was a apache in the air. Since I needed to save money I thought the other 15 people in my team would be able to take care of that. 5 minutes later and after some deaths I knew better, had to buy a proximity launcher and took the thing down in like 15 seconds, seriously is it that hard? Don't even want to talk about drones, it takes seconds to get them down, yet I see them flying forever in the sky if I dont take them out ... Or yesterday I spawned in a Humvee and that guy was getting closer to a uncapped point. 20m before we reached it he stopped, and then turned back and drove somewhere esle. I was like "WTF are you doing........?". Another thing is, lets say your team is about to loose a round in GC, I pretty much see all of my freshly spawned team mates rushing towards the enemy ... and getting killed ...! Why not retreat and be there once the cap points unlock? Pretty much I am always the first or one of the first at cap points. People are so big pussies, often I am capping a point and when I am almost done with it I see on my mini map that some people of my team slowly approaching ...

At the beginning I raged because of snipers but recently I am pretty cool about them. Instead I just keep raging about my stupid team mates.

Other than that, the game is riddled with millions of bugs, one of my favourites while leveling Hellfire/Phosporus/Cluster Bomb was that you shot a bomb/missle and then it suddenly vanished ... pretty awesome to spend 1600BP on nothing at all!

Also if you like to annoy people, well this game can be perfect for you. Obvious choice would be sniper, but I had tons of fun with drones and vehicles. With the ground drone you can eleminate complete teams, my favourite things is to drive by an enemies which think I havent seen them and then leave their cover, just to see that I am already waiting for them! Or when I was leveling my Proximity Launcher I loved the "Enemy Airstrike incoming" because those things are so easy to shoot down, often I have them down before they can even fire a shot (and I would be pissed about spending 1600-2000BP for a cluster bomb and then get shot down in an instant xD).

Curious what bugfixes will do with this game, but I dont expect the PC version to last really long.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Not going to last long? I can't even play a game on my PS3 without it freezing up. Every time. Still no fix. Hilarious. I really enjoy the game when I can get it and it doesn't freeze, but I'm done buying THQ games.

Grisby

Well, I finished this completely yesterday. Not in one sitting mind you, but over the course of three. I didn't actually mean too but damn, it is short. Seemed to be the shortest campaign I have ever played, even more so then the COD's.

A SP review approaches-

Anyways, Homefront is a game that screams potential based on its setting idea alone. Kaos did do a good job in parts with creating some interesting scenarios, but ultimately, failed on making them fun. The whole game just felt rough around the edges. Default movement (especially when your in the camps, good god) felt horrible slow and like you were walking in molasses half of the time. Guns played weakly and sounded muted.

I like the level ideas but the design and execution of them were boring. The one saving grace was the Goliath, which is a great way to give the player a feeling of power, which was important at times in a game like this.

Everything else, graphics and such, seemed rough, especially for a UE3 game. Story was wasted which was a huge shame considering Kaos had a good chance to create a good one, what with the only other competitors being Killzone 3 and Crysis 2 (heh).

The music was good, much better than I expected to hear. Damn, this is a bit of a heartbreaking title. An ok rental is the final verdict.

sk3tch

Any of you guys not in the PC meetup thread, go check it now. I was just playing after work and man...ghost town!

P.S. if you're on the fence on PC, check eBay - you can bargain down the dudes with serial codes/Steam keys to the $20-$25 range.

sk3tch said:
Any of you guys not in the PC meetup thread, go check it now. I was just playing after work and man...ghost town!

P.S. if you're on the fence on PC, check eBay - you can bargain down the dudes with serial codes/Steam keys to the $20-$25 range.

Been playing every other day, but kinda sucks not being able to join on my friends. Gonna wait till the patch comes out.

megamerican

Since everyone complained about the length I purposely paced myself to do one chapter a day. I was really impressed with the storytelling and atmosphere. I was expecting it to come off as sappy and manipulative, but it had a rawness that made it seem more real. Milius delivered.

Apart from the cool narrative hook and corresponding setpieces, the game doesn't have much going on. Someone royally fucked up in the sound design. The voicework sucks to begin with, and the repetition just rubs salt in the wound. Also getting shot sounds more akin to accidently lighting a string of black-cats than actual weapon fire.

Multiplayer seems pretty cool although I've already hit the renter's level cap. Sorry THQ, but I'm not gonna be bullied into a purchase. There are plenty of other shooters out there.

Makoto

Server browser is no longer freezing when updating. Options to turn off mouse smoothing and acceleration. My 5770 no longer gets shitty framerate at High settings even with DirectX 11 and AO on.

This patch has saved Homefront, from my perspective at least.

Still haven't figured out how yo join on friends. Server browser and performance are much improved, haven't played enough to notice balance changes yet.

Zimbardo

yeah, the new Homefront patch for PC seems to be quite good.

multiplayer performance issues seem to have been fixed.

i'm back to playing this game again ...hopefully others will come back as well.

Zimbardo said:
yeah, the new Homefront patch for PC seems to be quite good.

multiplayer performance issues seem to have been fixed.

i'm back to playing this game again ...hopefully others will come back as well.
Has there been any gameplay changes to the multi-player? Like more life so you don't die instantly, that kind of thing.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Heavy said:
Has there been any gameplay changes to the multi-player? Like more life so you don't die instantly, that kind of thing.
Yeah, looks like survivability is up, according to impressions. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but I'm looking forward to it. Hoping that there are bigger maps in the pipeline too.

Klocker

JaxJag said:
I'm still enjoying Homefront's multiplayer.

I purchased Crysis 2, but ended up going back to Homefront.

yep me too... patches to adjust server connections and performance and a few tweaks would be sweet though

SapientWolf said:
Yeah, looks like survivability is up, according to impressions. I haven't had a chance to check it out yet but I'm looking forward to it. Hoping that there are bigger maps in the pipeline too.

Sniper rifles nerfed and body armor buffed. You should see the crying in the official forums.
KuGsj.gif

commish

All I want is for the PS3 version to stop freezing. It's unplayable, and has been since launch. Kaos doesn't give two shits, though. I find it amazing that other versions are getting gameplay tweaks yet the PS3 version is still saddled with game crippling bugs. A+ job.

desu

Mr. Snrub said:
Sniper rifles nerfed and body armor buffed. You should see the crying in the official forums.
KuGsj.gif

Well smgs got nerfed too now (at least it seemed to me like that) and compared to the laser rifles thats kinda annoying.

Patch is a mixed bag to me, some nice fixes, some stuff is still weird or even more weird than before.

And due to the chat fully working I got tons of cheat complaints in chats already. Apparently people wanted to report me for rank hacking and botting/wallhacking ... woho <.<!

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
desu said:
Well smgs got nerfed too now (at least it seemed to me like that) and compared to the laser rifles thats kinda annoying.

Patch is a mixed bag to me, some nice fixes, some stuff is still weird or even more weird than before.

And due to the chat fully working I got tons of cheat complaints in chats already. Apparently people wanted to report me for rank hacking and botting/wallhacking ... woho <.<!
The SMG was hilariously overpowered pre-patch so it wouldn't be a surprise if they hit it with the nerf bat too hard. Still, a patch based on community feedback in less than a month in is a good sign.

desu

SapientWolf said:
The SMG was hilariously overpowered pre-patch so it wouldn't be a surprise if they hit it with the nerf bat too hard. Still, a patch based on community feedback in less than a month in is a good sign.

Imho only the Diablo was really bad and needed some adjustment...! The patch should have been in there day 1, playing this game 15-30min and you would have noticed tons of the broken stuff. Yes its nice that they fixed it, but still ...

Hixx

Performance fix, you say? Might hop back in then, see what its like without shitty performance + having to restart the game every round or two.

Woohoo! Late to the party due to region-locking, but Homefront will unlock on PC for those in Japan on April 14th. Crisis sort of avoided. Can't wait!

pompidu

Quick little pros and cons list for the ps3 version if anyone was thinking of grabbing it. I haven't finished the single player bout put bout 10hrs in the multiplayer.
Cons
- Looks like a launch title. Crappy textures and jaggies galore.
- Online passcode. I hate this BS.
- Feels like your walking in mud.
- Very few weapons. No shotgun (its DLC).
- Tries to be COD.
Pros
- Good framerate.Not 60 but close to it.
- Different perks and vehicles.
- Not one person can run around like an indestructible God.
- Very balanced, not one game I played where the other team completely destroyed the other.

FLEABttn

Banned
itsnervedamage said:
Have they fixed the hard locks on PS3?
I got tired of it locking up, but I still want in!

They haven't. Almost a month in and I'm tired of waiting for the fix that makes MP actually playable. I'm selling it back today.

Mikey Jr.

Those people with Playstation 3

"Playstation 3 Game Update Progress

The Homefront team submitted a Playstation 3 update to Sony earlier today. While we do not have an exact date for this update to be approved, we will be working very closely with Sony to fully test and deliver this update as quickly as possible.

This PS3 update should address many of the issues our community has identified with the game over the past few weeks. Once Sony approves it, we will reveal more specific information about what this update contains.

The entire team at both KAOS and THQ would like to thank you for playing Homefront and being a member of our community. We appreciate your dedication and patience as we continue to improve and enhance the game with each update.

Sincerely,

The Homefront Team"

I would say holdout before trading or whatever till this patch comes out. Says they address many problems people are having.

Mikey Jr. said:
Those people with Playstation 3

"Playstation 3 Game Update Progress

The Homefront team submitted a Playstation 3 update to Sony earlier today. While we do not have an exact date for this update to be approved, we will be working very closely with Sony to fully test and deliver this update as quickly as possible.

This PS3 update should address many of the issues our community has identified with the game over the past few weeks. Once Sony approves it, we will reveal more specific information about what this update contains.

The entire team at both KAOS and THQ would like to thank you for playing Homefront and being a member of our community. We appreciate your dedication and patience as we continue to improve and enhance the game with each update.

Sincerely,

The Homefront Team"

I would say holdout before trading or whatever till this patch comes out. Says they address many problems people are having.

Waiting patiently...
It's rough I want to support this game because I like the game design behind it, but so much stuff coming out so fast I'm already starting to forget about it.

commish

itsnervedamage said:
Waiting patiently...
It's rough I want to support this game because I like the game design behind it, but so much stuff coming out so fast I'm already starting to forget about it.

I sold it back yesterday. Sold it for what I ultimately paid for it, so I guess I can't complain. I really liked the MP but the crashing was too much for me to stand. Unfortunately, I'm done with THQ or Kaos games because the support has been so terrible.

Only a couple of days for me before it unlocks on Steam! This weekend is Homefront weekend. Thanks for making me late to the party, Steam and your region-locking garbage.

Top Bottom