• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HomeGAF - Putting Your Hard Hat On

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Not judging, but I don't know if you know this or not, but there's a concrete dick on what looks to be your dresser.
749140.jpg

OK - I couldn't find a "true" before photo of this bathroom I redid. Because when we bought the place, all the bathrooms had shag carpet in them, and it was extremely disgusting. So this first photo was after I had ripped the carpet out of this bathroom I found the original linoleum tile, also gross.

cYWWteb.png

And here is the finished product:
vOxvz9Q.png

First, I took out the tile they had around the vanity, and pulled up the air return vent (gross)

JDnOZEe.png

Next, I removed the toilet

BndCuCs.png

Started to demo the vanity (it was original to the house)

6zu8QN6.png

Goodbye ugly vanity

TZTQC7v.png

Cleaned up a bit

Ffj0E9B.png

Coat of primer on the walls

eOKJUcX.png

Paint going on

goWph3M.png

Paint on, but drying

AodNEuT.png

Starting on the flooring

VkUB4xK.png

Getting there

77nbrZg.png

Done with the floor!

ItJolm2.png

Toilet going back in

Jvswe4H.png

Here comes the new vanity

2Au5A2l.png

Getting there!

yVZzhn7.png

All together now

biB2kQU.png

Hung the mirror, put fixtures on the walls, replaced shower head

5g2cfcV.png

I guess... thanks for going on this journey with me.

The whole project took me about two days. Like a lot of the stuff I did when I first moved in, this was like "version 2.0" of this room where I'm probably on version 4 or 5 now (replaced toilet, retiled shower, etc.) but it was "good enough" to at least start living in. Definitely an improvement over the urine-soaked-for-years carpet and the 30-year-old particleboard vanity.

There has to be at least 50 of these types of projects I've done on this house since I moved in. I probably have 50 more on my "to do" list.
Paint that trim piece white. It will tie it together the right way.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Project is coming along well. Demo is done in the bathroom, took about 2 hours. Materials are a tad more expensive that I hoped for. Used about 3000$ in contingency.

I'm only missing my floor drain and two urinals for material. Should be here in the next two weeks.

CKfcSrT.jpg

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
The wood 2x4 on the floor should be treated lumber. As it's an old house and never had any rot, I'll leave it this way but if you do renos, fix this.

Nice one p_xavier p_xavier . Far too complex a job for me.

This weekend I'm installing these in our house. Cool to be able to issue temp codes and lock them out during certain times etc as we'll have lots of tradesmen coming and going over the next year (pool, decking, fencing, landscaping, electrical, plumbing etc). It's a project been getting Covid delayed and we're finally moving on ahead on it. Now I have to sharpen my skills to build a pizza oven for the misses I promised her as part of all that. I'd also like to build in a firepit down the back when it's all said and done, the firepit won't be until next year though.

b5b33152bd39462f808b1fb879862159

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member

This weekend I'm installing these in our house. Cool to be able to issue temp codes and lock them out during certain times etc as we'll have lots of tradesmen coming and going over the next year (pool, decking, fencing, landscaping, electrical, plumbing etc). It's a project been getting Covid delayed and we're finally moving on ahead on it. Now I have to sharpen my skills to build a pizza oven for the misses I promised her as part of all that. I'd also like to build in a firepit down the back when it's all said and done, the firepit won't be until next year though.

b5b33152bd39462f808b1fb879862159
I've been tempted to do this at my place but I think I am going to wait for a full renno on the exterior.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister

I have mostly homekit-ed my house. I was looking into a doorwebcam/lock and it gets too cold here to support it unfortunately. Anyways I live in a town where people don't even lock their doors in the first place.

Firepit and gazebo will probably next year for me too.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Endgoal is near. Did a coat of primer. Will start laying tiles tomorrow after work. I'm getting the remainder of items Tuesday at the latest. So after tiling is done, only to hook up furniture and associated hardware. Plumber should come by this week or early next one.

ex1f1gJ.jpg

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
p_xavier,

Just curious. Out all these sweet renos you do, how much of it do you do vs. asking friends for help or hiring contractors to do hard stuff?

I get a feeling you do most or all of it yourself?

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
p_xavier,

Just curious. Out all these sweet renos you do, how much of it do you do vs. asking friends for help or hiring contractors to do hard stuff?

I get a feeling you do most or all of it yourself?
I don't do plumbing and electrical (not certified) but I mostly do the rest. I had my ex helped me with the drywall sheets cause my left hand is still too weak. I own most of my tools too. Those can get expensive real fast so they need to get accounted for in your reno projects costs.

I recommend following DIYRenovations on YouTube. It's about a guy from Ottawa that gives tips on doing renos by yourself. Lots of tips I learned from him. Was my first time redoing a tiled ceiling and his way to do it was straightforward.

His channel:

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
I don't do plumbing and electrical (not certified) but I mostly do the rest. I had my ex helped me with the drywall sheets cause my left hand is still too weak. I own most of my tools too. Those can get expensive real fast so they need to get accounted for in your reno projects costs.

I recommend following DIYRenovations on YouTube. It's about a guy from Ottawa that gives tips on doing renos by yourself. Lots of tips I learned from him. Was my first time redoing a tiled ceiling and his way to do it was straightforward.

His channel:

Thanks for the rec. I will check this out.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Home gym still needs extra cleaning. I wanted to cover the electrical panel with a plywood box but it's too heavy. I don't know what to do. Probably paint that wood panel but it's ugly. Thoughts and ideas?

nOcE9sq.jpg

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
Home gym still needs extra cleaning. I wanted to cover the electrical panel with a plywood box but it's too heavy. I don't know what to do. Probably paint that wood panel but it's ugly. Thoughts and ideas?

nOcE9sq.jpg
I'm a lazy punk compared to you man. I'd just leave it as is myself.

Sweet setup mate. Maybe cover the panel with a simple box but get a wrap/print over it so it sort of appears like a window? That or you could love/hate yourself while working out with a mirror over it.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Sweet setup mate. Maybe cover the panel with a simple box but get a wrap/print over it so it sort of appears like a window? That or you could love/hate yourself while working out with a mirror over it.
I wanted a box with a mirror on it but too heavy.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I've been a bit down in the last days. My outdoors water hose connection broke during the winter, so when I turned on my hose for the first time, water flooded my basement. Thank your favourite god, I had my floor drain installed last week or I would have lost everything. My instinct was right.

So will need to spend about 10k$ $ to redo what I just done in work. Removing 6" of drywall everywhere, new moldings and plumbing fees, redo ceilings where damage occurred. It might be a bit overkill but mold is a killer by itself.

It's really tough on my morale tough. When I was finishing cleaning up.

B86tddO.jpg
cDxaxr2.jpg
gLgxkLE.jpg

Zeroing

Banned
I've been a bit down in the last days. My outdoors water hose connection broke during the winter, so when I turned on my hose for the first time, water flooded my basement. Thank your favourite god, I had my floor drain installed last week or I would have lost everything. My instinct was right.

So will need to spend about 10k$ $ to redo what I just done in work. Removing 6" of drywall everywhere, new moldings and plumbing fees, redo ceilings where damage occurred. It might be a bit overkill but mold is a killer by itself.

It's really tough on my morale tough. When I was finishing cleaning up.

B86tddO.jpg
cDxaxr2.jpg
gLgxkLE.jpg
wow that sucks :( I know it is hard to keep feeling optimistic when that happens but do I trick I do, "it could be worse" sometimes it helps.

Damn p_xavier p_xavier I feel for you, tough one mate. Those floating floorboards hate water on them too, the underlay soaks up the water and they get uneven etc. If you dry them off before it soaks it they're fun and I think the underlay is mould proof/resistant so hopefully save some bucks by saving the floor.

Winter pipes suck in go-and-fucked-freezing-climates. Best of luck. You're doing the right thing, mould is horrible for your health and resale should you ever sell.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

Water damage is no fun.

Currently getting renovations done to my old farm house. Carpentry wise the work was out of my league to get finished in time for my lady to move in mid August. Just as well because I now have a larger bathroom with the tub/shower moved away from under the slanted ceiling. I'd be a long time getting the framing square and plumb. Especially making it work with a house that's over 100 years old. In order to finish without going over budget, I may have to do the floors, trim and paint myself. Even though I'm a licensed plumber I decided to hire a plumber who works every day at it to do the rough-in. Since I'm nearly ten years out of practice so I decided it wasn't worth the frustration with all the other things I have to think about. I do plan to finish off the plumbing.

Down the road I'll post some before, during and after pics.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Damn p_xavier p_xavier I feel for you, tough one mate. Those floating floorboards hate water on them too, the underlay soaks up the water and they get uneven etc. If you dry them off before it soaks it they're fun and I think the underlay is mould proof/resistant so hopefully save some bucks by saving the floor.

Winter pipes suck in go-and-fucked-freezing-climates. Best of luck. You're doing the right thing, mould is horrible for your health and resale should you ever sell.
Floor are PVC so it was ok after drying. I should be done redoing the work today. I took the week off for that. I haven't lost much in my personal items at least. I had a vision of the faucet breaking and flooding the basement last year, hence why I had a floor drain installed. I was right.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Sucks xavier,

I've had two pipes burst probably from cold. Did my best to drain it, but probably didnt do it enough. Luckily the water that spilled was limited as I turned off the valve at a different connection point. But my contractor had to fix them. One happened to my garage hose and the water fell down behind the garage wall to who knows where. And the other leading to the backyard hose (pipe in my laundry room leads to it) leaked water down the wall behind my washing machine near my exterior brick wall. Not a ton of water leaked out, but where ever it went looks like it hit nothing important.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Water damage is no fun.

Currently getting renovations done to my old farm house. Carpentry wise the work was out of my league to get finished in time for my lady to move in mid August. Just as well because I now have a larger bathroom with the tub/shower moved away from under the slanted ceiling. I'd be a long time getting the framing square and plumb. Especially making it work with a house that's over 100 years old. In order to finish without going over budget, I may have to do the floors, trim and paint myself. Even though I'm a licensed plumber I decided to hire a plumber who works every day at it to do the rough-in. Since I'm nearly ten years out of practice so I decided it wasn't worth the frustration with all the other things I have to think about. I do plan to finish off the plumbing.

Down the road I'll post some before, during and after pics.
When I lived in a condo the water tank is in the closet near my front door. One of the tubes cracked and a tiny stream of water kept coming out. I couldnt tape it shut. It still keep leaking. I shut the valve but due to where the tube is water would keep coming until it ran out of water which I had no idea how much. And I couldnt drain the tank as the valve at the back had no tube and the drain was on the other side. It was so far at the back I couldn't even get to it easily anyway.

This happened after dinner.

And worst of all the next morning I had to be at the airport at 7 am to go to Montreal for business.

I called some plumber, he came charged me $150 and said he'd go to Home Depot and find the part. The fucker never came back. Kept calling him all night and nada. So I called the water tank company and they sent a guy by 11 pm and did jack shit. He said it'd cost money too even though I was thinking it's free as it's their tank. So I called another place and a guy came at 2 am in the morning and fixed it. We drained the whole tank by me passing pots to him like 40 times and he fixed that back spout so it would drain correctly next time. But he couldnt fix it right there yet as he needed to buy a part. But at least the water stopped leaking.

During the 6 hours before the good plumber came I was filling a pot of water every 5-10 minutes into the sink.

So I left him my keys, told front desk he needs to come back in the morning and I flew to Montreal. He called me around 11 am and said everything is fixed.

As for the fucker who ripped me off, I called my CC company and gave them proof and they refunded me $150.

Last edited:

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
When I lived in a condo the water tank is in the closet near my front door. One of the tubes cracked and a tiny stream of water kept coming out. I couldnt tape it shut. It still keep leaking. I shut the valve but due to where the tube is water would keep coming until it ran out of water which I had no idea how much. And I couldnt drain the tank as the valve at the back had no tube and the drain was on the other side. It was so far at the back I couldn't even get to it easily anyway.

This happened after dinner.

And worst of all the next morning I had to be at the airport at 7 am to go to Montreal for business.

I called some plumber, he came charged me $150 and said he'd go to Home Depot and find the part. The fucker never came back. Kept calling him all night and nada. So I called the water tank company and they sent a guy by 11 pm and did jack shit. He said it'd cost money too even though I was thinking it's free as it's their tank. So I called another place and a guy came at 2 am in the morning and fixed it. We drained the whole tank by me passing pots to him like 40 times and he fixed that back spout so it would drain correctly next time. But he couldnt fix it right there yet as he needed to buy a part. But at least the water stopped leaking.

During the 6 hours before the good plumber came I was filling a pot of water every 5-10 minutes into the sink.

So I left him my keys, told front desk he needs to come back in the morning and I flew to Montreal. He called me around 11 am and said everything is fixed.

As for the fucker who ripped me off, I called my CC company and gave them proof and they refunded me $150.
I changed my watertank to one that's in plastic and doesn't leak. I also put an automatic water shutoff valve and water sensors in some areas of the basement. Water is really a bitch in a house. You're never too careful.

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
I'm done with tiling. Will paint tomorrow and plumber should be here on Tuesday. Labour fees are just out of this world, plumber is 215$ an hour. I'm about 20k$ over budget so far, most of it from water damage.

ja2sf1Q.jpg

btjdsMy.jpg

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
Bathroom is nearly done, just need to touch up paint and another thorough clean up, it's like the 20th to clean all the black grout. Bad pics, well every wall and the ceiling is black so the phone's camera go crazy.

faMhDhF.jpg
XWxPI2f.jpg

AJUMP23

Bathroom is nearly done, just need to touch up paint and another thorough clean up, it's like the 20th to clean all the black grout. Bad pics, well every wall and the ceiling is black so the phone's camera go crazy.

faMhDhF.jpg

Why would you need 2 urinals in your bathroom.

Not going to lie, as a straight married man, that bathroom is sexy as fuck now and might just entice me to take a peek at the goods swinging in the urinal next to me. Nice work getting it done after the issues mate.

Top Bottom