• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Homeless-age

Status
Not open for further replies.
Long story short I got told to leave where I am living today. I have no job, and only 65 bucks to my name. I was back at my dads while finishing up college, based on his offer, and now all of a sudden he decides he doesn't want me there.

I have no place to stay, and no friends I can call for help. I am going to try and get some welfare until I get a job and can afford a place to stay.

Feels bad man. Sleeping on the streets probably feels bad too. I just don't want to get robbed of my computer. I wish there was somewhere I could keep it.

I bet not many homeless post on GAF, but I will lead the way.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
HurricaneJesus said:
Long story short I got told to leave where I am living today. I have no job, and only 65 bucks to my name. I was back at my dads while finishing up college, based on his offer, and now all of a sudden he decides he doesn't want me there.

I have no place to stay, and no friends I can call for help. I am going to try and get some welfare until I get a job and can afford a place to stay.

Feels bad man. Sleeping on the streets probably feels bad too. I just don't want to get robbed of my computer. I wish there was somewhere I could keep it.

I bet not many homeless post on GAF, but I will lead the way.
Sorry about that. Being out of a home sucks. As far as sleeping in the streets, thats the problem.. getting any sleep at all is going to be a bitch. i feel for you and hope you get back on your feet quickly. Take care.

EDIT: Where are you located?

WedgeX

Banned
Are you still finishing up college? And does it have a residence hall?

If so, try contacting the people in charge of student affairs, student life or something similar. They might be able to set something up for you (in the residence hall, or through alumni or something).

If that doesn't work, try the United Way or things like that. Best of luck dude.

justjohn said:
what kinda fucked up dad do you have?

I think the real question is, what kind of deadbeat, lazy son must he be for his dad to not want him to mooch off of him again? Not trying to sound elitist, but as a father of four, any child of mine would have to be a complete screwup for me to use tough love like that to teach a lesson.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
You still in school? There should be people on campus who can help you out, or at least point you in the right direction.

john010117

Neo Member
No matter what the reason was, I hope that everything works out for you in the end. But damn, it must hurt for your dad to have kicked you out.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Silent_Echo said:
I think the real question is, what kind of deadbeat, lazy son must he be for his dad to not want him to mooch off of him again? Not trying to sound elitist, but as a father of four, any child of mine would have to be a complete screwup for me to use tough love like that to teach a lesson.
Not every parent is loving.

soyboy

I was in the same situation when I was seventeen years old. My pops tried to break my neck and kicked me out of the house.

I'll try to provide some tips.

I would call any family members that are in the local vicinity & try to arrange to stay for atleast three to four days. Then I would start looking for SRO's in your area. I'm in NYC and it was fairly easy for me to find a place for $75 a week. Shared bathroom & no kitchen but it's a place to put your head down at night. If you do have employment your first priority would be to keep that JOB at all cost. Even if it means breaking down to your boss about the situation. You're in a rough spot and I'm sure they'll have your back. You mentioned college. Are you friends with any of the professors or counselors? I would talk to them about the situation and find out what resources your school has for someone in your situation.

If push comes to shove negotiate with your father, even if you have to eat shit to do it. If he does let you stay don't plan on staying long start looking for a way to get out of there as soon as possible.

Keep your head up, things will work out.

purg3

slept with Malkin
I can't see any parent just throwing their own out like that, unless you did something really stupid or are on drugs or something. Or unless your dad is the one with the problem. But still, that's some rough shit, good luck.

soyboy

Silent_Echo said:

I think this is a little un-called for. There are tons of parents out there that are extremely abusive or mentally incapacitated. My dad is a schizophrenic & it was horrible growing up. He would explode into these crazy rages and beat the crap out of me. Not a great situation. Two days before my sophomore year of college he flipped out and tried to break my neck & kicked me out to the street with nothing.

I don't think this is one of those situations where you can be snarky. We're talking about the well being of a human being no matter how shitty someone is they don't deserve to be homeless.

I didn't do anything to make him tell me to leave. He just says that me being around reminds him of the past and he wants that all behind him. It doesn't matter because his reasons are selfish. When I was just finishing highschool, my mother kicked me out because her boyfriend didn't like me. I lived with friends for a couple years, working shitty jobs while wanting to go back to school. I have put myself through 3 years of the program I am in, and I am two classes away from graduating. They aren't offered until january-april of 2010.

I only have 65 bucks because I have been paying my own way, and trying to pay down a 4,600 dollar student loan. I was doing ok until last year when my gf of 5 years up and decided she doesn't love me anymore, and ditched me. I pretty much lost it and fucked up my last semester in school. My dad knew so he offered to let me stay there until I am finished. I am a quiet guy, I listen to my music with headphones on, I don't cause problems.

I am posting from the library, but I think it is closing soon. I live in Hamilton Ontario. I am thinking of going up to the college and just locking my shit in a locker for the night. I have been walking all over the city today and my legs are burning and I can barely walk. I just want to sleep so badly.

DemiMatt

I wonder when this was posted.

I bet by now he is in no position to be posting unless hes leeching power+intrawebs.

Sucks though. Im sure gaf will help!

That really sucks man, hoping the best for you. If any scandiGAF ever goes homeless i promise you can live with me (especially if you're a swedish chick).

I just don't understand. If what you say is true and you're not sliding over any details what the hell is wrong with your dad? Good luck.

Number 2 said:
Not every parent is loving.

And not every kid lives up to their potential. Sounds like more the case here. Let's look at what he says...

I have no job, and only 65 bucks to my name. I was back at my dads while finishing up college, based on his offer, and now all of a sudden he decides he doesn't want me there.

Says he has no job, and is/was finishing college. Apparently he didn't hold up his end of whatever his dad's offer was. I'm guessing part of the offer was him staying in school, which looks like he didn't do. Plus no job to help with bills, and probably squandering his financial aid money on dumb shit like Steam downloads like his post history suggests.

HurricaneJesus said:
I didn't do anything to make him tell me to leave. He just says that me being around reminds him of the past and he wants that all behind him. It doesn't matter because his reasons are selfish. When I was just finishing highschool, my mother kicked me out because her boyfriend didn't like me. I lived with friends for a couple years, working shitty jobs while wanting to go back to school. I have put myself through 3 years of the program I am in, and I am two classes away from graduating. They aren't offered until january-april of 2010.

I only have 65 bucks because I have been paying my own way, and trying to pay down a 4,600 dollar student loan. I was doing ok until last year when my gf of 5 years up and decided she doesn't love me anymore, and ditched me. I pretty much lost it and fucked up my last semester in school. My dad knew so he offered to let me stay there until I am finished. I am a quiet guy, I listen to my music with headphones on, I don't cause problems.

I am posting from the library, but I think it is closing soon. I live in Hamilton Ontario. I am thinking of going up to the college and just locking my shit in a locker for the night. I have been walking all over the city today and my legs are burning and I can barely walk. I just want to sleep so badly.

McMaster?
Damn man, that sucks

If you were closer to the GTA I'd know of things to help you out with but I don't know Hamilton that well. Best of luck

My dad and I have just never connected on any level. He has no interest in learning anything about me. Whenever we talk, I listen to him, but then when I have something to say, or an opinion to share, he just tunes me out.

I don't have a job right now. I was working with him at his work, but only part-time. I am going to try and find something tomorrow. I will be back at the library checking craigslist, classifides, etc. Thanks for the support guys.

Edit: The only financial assistance I got for student loan was 4,600 bucks for my first year. I used it all for school, and have paid some of it back. Yeah, I buy games from Steam when they are on sale. I like gaming. I should have saved that money. I knew I had half a year to kill before finishing up college, so I didn't really stress about finding full time work that I would have to quit in january anyway.

Anyway, I am not going to defend myself. You are right, I am useless, and deserve this. No one else in my family had made anything of themselves. I tried my best to become somthing, but I don't see that ever happening now. Just get some mindless job and live to work. I don't even know why I created this topic. I guess I just wanted someone to talk to.

Silent_Echo said:
Says he has no job, and is/was finishing college. Apparently he didn't hold up his end of whatever his dad's offer was. I'm guessing part of the offer was him staying in school, which looks like he didn't do. Plus no job to help with bills, and probably squandering his financial aid money on dumb shit like Steam downloads like his post history suggests.

The fuck dude, really? He has almost graduated, but the courses are not offered until next year. His dad is a selfish asshole.

I really don't know how to help you OP. As the others have said, try contacting some councilors at school, see if they can help out. Call up relatives and friends, I'm sure one of them agrees to letting you stay for at least a day or two. Maybe a church will give you a place to sleep otherwise?

Silent_Echo said:
Did you get your tag in this thread?

Hey I have no problem being wrong. You condensed your story and left out certain details that made it seem like you were completely not at fault, but inferred things that didn't jive with what you actually were trying to say. I hope things work out for you.

entremet

Silent_Echo said:
And not every kid lives up to their potential. Sounds like more the case here. Let's look at what he says...

A little harsh, no?

Zoe

Are there any fluff courses you could take so you could get student loans (that cover your living expenses) for this semester? Student loans suck, but it's better than being homeless, and they're probably the easiest kind of loans to pay down.

soultron

Banned
Come into the Boston Pizza on Main Street West. Tell one of the managers you know Anthony/Tony.

I will recommend you. They're looking for dudes to hire for September.

EDIT: I can try to help you out, dude.

Karl007

Banned
Should of put up more of an effort to stay with him.
Beg or whatever.

I would have.
Or hanged around his house etc...

Silent_Echo said:
Hey I have no problem being wrong.
I would say you were a little more than just wrong.

OP, just read your whole story and it made me sad. I'm in a different country, so nothing I can do for you, but good luck.

HurricaneJesus said:
Anyway, I am not going to defend myself. You are right, I am useless, and deserve this. No one else in my family had made anything of themselves. I tried my best to become somthing, but I don't see that ever happening now. Just get some mindless job and live to work. I don't even know why I created this topic. I guess I just wanted someone to talk to.
Goddamn, see what you assholes did. Fuck you guys.

Silent_Echo said:

What is wrong with you? Not every kid is perfect, but that does not mean that they deserve getting thrown out in the street. The OP already explained his situation in a separate post, and you're still assuming that he's the one at fault.

Ignis Fatuus said:
Did you get your tag in this thread?

No, I got my tag because I'm not a bleeding heart liberal like most gaffers here that cry foul everytime police officers use force because they chose not to understand why the police officers were justified in doing the things that they did.

Instead they cry fuck the police and how all officers abuse their authority without understanding what they can and can't legally do.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
HurricaneJesus said:
My dad and I have just never connected on any level. He has no interest in learning anything about me. Whenever we talk, I listen to him, but then when I have something to say, or an opinion to share, he just tunes me out.

I don't have a job right now. I was working with him at his work, but only part-time. I am going to try and find something tomorrow. I will be back at the library checking craigslist, classifides, etc. Thanks for the support guys.

Edit: The only financial assistance I got for student loan was 4,600 bucks for my first year. I used it all for school, and have paid some of it back. Yeah, I buy games from Steam when they are on sale. I like gaming. I should have saved that money. I knew I had half a year to kill before finishing up college, so I didn't really stress about finding full time work that I would have to quit in january anyway.

The useless one is your DAD... not you.

Too many friggin ppl these days are parents in name only and don't realize what a rich honor it is to have children... (sigh). :(

Silent_Echo said:
No, I got my tag because I'm not a bleeding heart liberal like most gaffers here that cry foul everytime police officers use force because they chose not to understand why the police officers were justified in doing the things that they did.

Instead they cry fuck the police and how all officers abuse their authority without understanding what they can and can't legally do.

Your tag fits perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom