• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honest Trailer: The Force Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, but do you need to be one to criticize someone's work? Nope. This is the laziest counter argument I've read so far and I actually can't believe someone went there.

The thing is, in order to address the absurdity of it, I'd need to go scene by scene and point by point to extrapolate it. It's simple to say "there's some plot and other similarities" (which I AGREE with because there ARE) but it takes the actual going into details and going through things point by point to dispel such an argument, when all you have to really do is watch the fucking movie and pay a shred of attention.

So yes, perhaps my counter-arguments are "lazy," but if they are, so are what I'm arguing against. I'm arguing that claiming that no creativity or imagination went into the movie is dumb, because it is, ten-fuckin' fold. There are plenty of creative elements unique to the six films that preceded it. Arguing otherwise is blatantly absurd.

diamount

Banned
Because it is not. How is it a retread? I keep seeing that it is, and myself and many others have pointed out exactly how it isn't, yet those who keep saying it is are failing to explain how it is.

Every single major plot point is a retread from the previous movies, as featured in that Honest Trailer. Are you disputing that?

The notion that TFA is creatively bankrupt is hyperbole, plain and simple. From top to bottom, from major to minor, TFA tries to introduce new things that we haven't seen in Star Wars before. When the movie first came out I heard a bunch of praise about the new ways the force was used, including mind raiding and blaster/people freezing. The new practical alien designs were almost unending. The nature of Kylo's lightsaber being all weirdly fucked up compared to the very clean blue one. The humanization of storm troopers that we haven't really seen since 1977 when they were small-talking on the bridge in the Death Star (in fact, the prequels tried their best to dehumanize them). A character being pulled to the light side instead of the dark, the latter concept barely even getting a mention in the film. I could go on.

TFA is no bastion of creativity - Starkiller was lame and the MacGuffin was the same - but the notion that this movie is "creatively bankrupt" is insane to me.

GhaleonEB

Every single major plot point is a retread from the previous movies, as featured in that Honest Trailer. Are you disputing that?
Are you serious? I honestly can't tell.

You have to think through all of the opening scene of the film to prove this false.

get ready for a semantics argument about what constitutes a "major" plot point..

That does seem where this is headed, which means we've hit rock bottom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom