• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honest Trailer: The Force Awakens

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wait - people will be here claiming it is equal to or worse than the prequels.
For me personally, TFA is the worst Star Wars movie ever made. Yes, even worse than Phantom Menace.

The final fight scene in Phantom Menace alone (Obi, Qui, and Maul) is better than the entirety of TFA. The level of tension and pure evil in that scene is something that TFA lacked throughout the entire movie. TFA came close in the beginning, but once Kylo took the helmet off the movie was a trainwreck from that point on.

Sephzilla

That was a mediocre honest trailer but the Plinkett cameo at the end was great

For me personally, TFA is the worst Star Wars movie ever made. Yes, even worse than Phantom Menace.

The final fight scene in Phantom Menace alone (Obi, Qui, and Maul) is better than the entirety of TFA. The level of tension and pure evil in that scene is something that TFA lacked throughout the entire movie. TFA came close in the beginning, but once Kylo took the helmet off the movie was a trainwreck from that point on.

You mean that fight scene at the end of Phantom Menace with a villain who has no character what so ever, a Jedi who constantly makes very questionable decisions and has no personality, and side-character Kenobi?

They should have made Kylo look like Satan, only then would things be evil and full of tension.

giphy.gif

at least RotS is ORIGINAL. The sole aspect of film which separates the trash from the goat. There is no in-between.

I didn't know original meant "hamfisted attempt at tying up all the awful writing of the previous two films and drawing some sort of meaning out of their lifeless corpses"

but here we are!

I'm gonna get an aneurysm from this thread.

Literally the entire arc of Kylo is that he looks like a little bitch though

Cause he IS
Yep, this is one of the reasons why the movie sucked. The bad guy is a joke. An emotional, incompetent, moron of a bad guy. At least Maul took on two Jedi at once and went down like a badass.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Force Awakens is a good film. Definitely better than the prequels. But I wouldn't say it's a great film or better than any of the original three. It did everything it needed to do to keep people happy and entertained and I suppose that's good enough. It was a good start and gives me hope for the future movies to reach greatness.

They should have given him less lines. Villains shouldn't be actual characters.

People disliked the prequels because they weren't like the originals, had bad acting/dialogue, no chemistry between the actors, write-off and underdeveloped villains, too much CGI, and so on.

TFA literally addressed every single last one of these criticisms.

Compared to an emotional hipster, fucking anything else.

You know, I'm going to go ahead and ask. How is he an "emotional hipster?"

JB1981

Saw it for the first time the other day. It really was just a remake of the first one, complete with some shocking acting performances. I'm sure it did everything they wanted in terms of a series reboot, though. It was just about competent, but not a good film. The old voice acting guy had everything spot on.

Being chained to Daisy Ridley as the future of the franchise though... yeesh.

She's the highlight of the movie. What's wrong with her?

Cringing hard at the little battle the voice dudes are having

EDIT: I agree with Ashby, what the fuck is this other guy doing in this video he legit ruined it. What are you doing Screen Junkies, your honest trailers are so much better than this

You don´t have to be salty. It was hilarious that the old voice guy came to co- voice this trailer. It´s similar to how TFA takes most of ANH plot points.

that's not true, that's impossible, etc. etc.

I like Rey more than Luke so far

Rey is definitely >>> Luke.

Luke was a whiny manbaby up till RotJ.

All you TFA haters sound like dudes who prematurely ejaculate then blame it on the girl.

You all waited years for this movie and now in hindsight you have to be contrarian just for the sake of it.

Yup.

We finally get a film worthy of the Star Wars name for the first time since 83 and people are still complaining about it. I shouldn't be surprised, but jeez.

People disliked the prequels because they weren't like the originals, had bad acting/dialogue, no chemistry between the actors, write-off and underdeveloped villains, too much CGI, and so on.

You know, I'm going to go ahead and ask. How is he an "emotional hipster?"

Just save yourself the pain

All you TFA haters sound like dudes who prematurely ejaculate then blame it on the girl.

You all waited years for this movie and now in hindsight you have to be contrarian just for the sake of it.

inky

Well, at least these are still better than those "everything wrong with" useless nitpick fests. Probably the worst movie related channel on YT.

Compared to an emotional hipster, fucking anything else. Great comment btw.
Speaking of emotional hipsters, I think people would prefer having to watch a film with that archetype as a villain (for roughly half of which he has a masked badass) as opposed to a trilogy whose entire story revolves around one. Holy shit was Anakin a bitch.

That said, ANH 2.0 is entirely applicable and while some parallels can be laughably lazy, it's entirely within Disney's best interest to play it safe given previous movies reputation. Ep8 better go wild with it

Yep, Kylo Ren surely addressed all of these issues!

200w.gif

Speaking of emotional hipsters, I think people would prefer having to watch a film with that archetype as a villain (for roughly half of which he has a masked badass) as opposed to a trilogy whose entire story revolves around one. Holy shit was Anakin a bitch.

That said, ANH 2.0 is entirely applicable and while some parallels can be laughably lazy, it's entirely within Disney's best interest to play it safe given previous movies reputation. Ep8 better go wild with it

The prequels are incredibly unbearable on all fronts (Ewan McGregor is the only thing preventing them from being TV-movie levels of awfulness); but what they did to Anakin is something I can never forgive.

Guardians of the Galaxy is the 5th best Star Wars film

TFA is 2nd to Empire

Trickster

Literally the entire arc of Kylo is that he looks like a little bitch though

Cause he IS

That might be true, but that didn't help make TFA better.

His arc over the trilogy might make the trilogy better because of it. But when watching TFA on it's own, him being an angsty crybabie certainly doesn't make me go "wow, I really liked Kylo Ren's character", it just doesn't.

Give it a month and BvS will be an underappreciated gem.

Have you been paying no attention to Twitter? It's already a modern masterpiece of cinema that was sabotaged by Marvel paying off reviewers and other media personalities to strangle any actual advancement of the superhero genre beyond Marvel's cookie cutter formula in the crib.

His arc over the trilogy might make the trilogy better because of it. But when watching TFA on it's own, him being an angsty crybabie certainly doesn't make me go "wow, I really liked Kylo Ren's character", it just doesn't.

He was never meant to be likeable, he was meant to be complex and well-written, which he was in spades.

Kylo Ren >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Anakin in the PT

Sephzilla

What I liked about Kylo Ren is that he's so caught up trying to get people to think he's better than Vader that it's actively screwing up his ability to get shit done and he doesn't realize it.

Tookay

Okay, since this is basically the "unpopular opinions about TFA" thread, can I just say that, as much as I like Daisy Ridley, the quality of her acting is kind of inconsistent throughout the film? I'm hoping some of it was just nerves and that she settles down in future movies.

XenodudeX

I remember there being a huge thread on here arguing how rey wasn't a mary sure character. I don't understand how anyone can argue how she wasn't.

Also, Bl000bs

Okay, since this is basically the "unpopular opinions about TFA" thread, can I just say that, as much as I like Daisy Ridley, the quality of her acting is kind of inconsistent throughout the film? I'm hoping some of it was just nerves and that she kind of settles down in future movies.

This was her first real acting job ("real" meaning serious and mainstream) - she was essentially completely green coming into it.

She did a fantastic job, IMO.

I remember there being a huge thread on here arguing how rey wasn't a mary sure character. I don't understand how anyone can argue how she wasn't.

Also, Bl000bs

Anyone who thinks she is a Mary Sue is beyond hope to me. She displays tons of flaws (fucking up flying the Falcon and almost crashing it till she gets the hang of it, fear of leaving Jakku, wanting to abandon her "destiny" and run away, fear of Kylo until she overpowers him).

The real Mary Sue is Anakin in the PT. Luke in the OT is more of a Mary Sue than Rey was in TFA.

What I don't understand about the Mary Sue complaints is how people like Star Wars at all, because Luke is just as much of and probably more of a Mary Sue than Rey even is. Rey hasn't had a movie made for her where the entire plot is everyone looking for her because of how awesome she is.

^^^

inky

I liked that Kylo Ren was a spoiled brat. *shrugs*

The only scene I didn't like that much was Rey going all fangirl on Solo, but it lasts like 1 minute so, whatever.

Movie was great in a JJ Abrams Star Trek 09 kind of way. Didn't expect it to go any deeper than that.

Sephzilla

What I don't understand about the Mary Sue complaints is how people like Star Wars at all, because Luke is just as much of and probably more of a Mary Sue than Rey even is. Rey hasn't had a movie made for her where the entire plot is everyone looking for her because of how awesome she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom