• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Honestly, what does Microsoft need to do with Scorpio to solidify your purchase?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I recently bought an S for UHD bluray so it'd need to be pretty special for me to buy it. 'Xbox one but in 4k' is most likely and that won't do it for me - I'll make do with ps pro as the fake 4k is still very good.

I have a decent PC, ps pro for 4k console games, and Xbox one S for 4k movies so I'm pretty much set.

bede-x

I can understand that companys dont wanna risk it. Its shitty for the gamers and industry.

But IMO people should already look closer to the Competition like Sony. They are not risking that much new IPs at all....

That's just not true. I don't want to start doing a list, but amongst AAA studios Sony is one of the few that constantly takes risks and doesn't just rely on a few factory studios. I mean, they let their most praised developer make The Last of Us at a time when Uncharted was at its (previous) peak and Naughty Dog might move away from the Uncharted franchise entirely after the next DLC.

It's like Microsoft doesn't really want to build up their first party studios and instead rely on a small stable of ever repeating franchises and a few collaborations, the first of which arguably stifles creativity and create franchise fatigue, and the latter which oftentimes goes nowhere after the first game.

fantomena

Games. New fresh big IPs. No more Gears, Halo, Forza recycle. Seriously. No more recycle. They need to do something new, fast. How is Sony able to risk lots of games and even when they fail (The Order, maybe The Last Guardian), still manage (it seems).

There's nothing except for seemingly interesting Crackdown 3 on the horizon. I probably need to play a beta or something from Sea of Thieves to be interested in it.

Still, I have a gaming PC, so I guess, after all, if "all" games are coming to PC (I know Crackdown 3 and Sea of Thieves), I have no need for a Scorpio.

Durante

There is only exactly one way to make me buy any console: locking down a large number of true (not timed or PC-too) exclusives that I really want to play.

If PS4 still hasn't managed that, what hope does Xbox have?

Not a lot really, I buy every console released as gaming is one of my main hobbies.

As long as Halo, Gears, Crackdown keep being released with a spattering of other exclusives I'll buy.

KainXVIII

If all 1st party games are still going to PC, then I have no reason to own one

rambo%20original.gif

Calzone

Neo Member
Unique, well-made exclusives.

I bought an Xbox One for Scalebound years back, and that got canceled because of Microsoft's unwillingness to work with Hideki Kamiya and their unwillingness to release a game that hasn't been focus-tested in to the ground.

There's nothing unique about anything that Microsoft is putting out themselves right now. Anything you can get on Xbox platforms, you can get anywhere else. Sure, you can't get Halo on anything but Xbox, but you can get "sci-fi first person shooter" on anything. You can't get Forza on anything but Xbox, but you can get "really pretty car game" on anything. Microsoft isn't offering up anything unique that you can only get on Xbox.

Start funding unique, creative projects that can only be found on Xbox and I'll consider getting a Scorpio.

eizarus

Banned
Since I just started playing Dark Souls 3 yesterday, I'm gonna go ahead and say give me a 1080p 60FPS DS3 in a fairly priced console and I'm all in.

xrnzaaas

There isn't anything they can do in my case. I only bought the Xbox One to play Forza games. I won't buy a Scorpio to make new Forza games look better, especially now when I can also play them on a PC.

Sony is killing it with the exclusives and Nintendo is once again offering an attractive secondary console/portable.

There is simply no room for Xbox in my life and they don't have the talent at their disposal to change that.

Rad-

Good price combined with some interesting game announcements (for example Lost Odyssey 2) would do it for me.

mcmanic

nothing, i have a ps4 pro with 4TB HDD space, A 49inch ks7000 samsung 4k HDR tv, and a 980ti soon to be 1080ti PC with Gysnc monitor or my 4k tv attached. Also not forgetting my Nintendo Switch

What can microsoft offer exclusive wise over what i can already get on Sony platform or Windows PC or nintendo. I used to love MS back in the orginal xbox days but now they really don't offer anything new or exciting enough to splash the cash on their hardware unfortunatly.

bigol

I won't buy it at day one, will wait the price to be at 300 € or less. Even then i will buy if it will have enough exclusives (i call exclusives games not releasing on Ps4).

Wollan

I will buy Halo and any other exclusive that I desire on PC. Past having all consoles under my TV, I don't have time/energy/priorities to play all Q1 highlights for a single platform as is.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
There is only exactly one way to make me buy any console: locking down a large number of true (not timed or PC-too) exclusives that I really want to play.

If PS4 still hasn't managed that, what hope does Xbox have?

Realistically I don't think MS wants you to buy one anyway. If they can get you to buy windows, and ideally buy Windows store games then they're happy enough. The Play Anywhere model shows us that much. Less important to get you in the Xbox ecosystem as long as they get you in the windows one.

That also means that the 'success' of Xbox is more difficult to quantify if they're including it as part of a larger play.

jonno394

I had fun building a pc in 2014, and i have gamed on it more over the years they my ps4, but the convenience of consoles and retail games is something I've missed. I also have avoided most MS games due to the Windows store issues so there are several i still want to play.

As i look forward, i really don't have the desire to build a new pc, so Scorpio will be appealing to me for MS exclusives across the 360, one and Scorpio.

As long as it's not more than £399, has all current backwards compatibility that the one has, 4k bd, some good console exclusives (not too fussed if they're on pc too) then i will likely look to invest next year.

Nzyme32

On a similar vein, I stopped using Xbox and other consoles as my main machine since the feature set, services, breadth and types of games is far better for me on PC with all the flexibility I want for hardware, software, peripherals, services, form factors, perpetuity etc.

With that in mind and the understanding that consoles are not going to change so drastically, "exclusives" become the only thing as a differentiator along with ecosystem. The exclusives are coming to PC, which is cool, but UWP makes that a complete non-starters for me, taking away so much of the flexibility I want compounded by a store with so many failings. Even disregarding that, the big problem is those games being exceptionally bland.

So the best thing MS can do is diversity and become more imaginative with picking up their exclusive titles. For me to be fine with UWP it can't be sandboxed and struggle with interoperability. The store / xbl need far more competitive pricing and preferably a more open approach to integration / interoperability of other services. With that in mind, a cheap enough console become justifiable for me. The one good thing going for them is perpetuity for games.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
I think they need to be more serious about competition you need to put more effort to create new exclusive games new IPs and don't waste them on PC ! make your own games library to gain more players , Sony on the other side is crushing everything and enhancing their quality and even quantity of games ! , so Microsoft needs to push the limit not just hardware but software

Dehnus

Only one game, Kung Fu Chaos 2. Best partygame EVER!

That and if they changed Scalebound to "Wonderful 202" with some Kinect integration to "draw" the special shapes (Think making power rangers like hand moves with your hands to transform loool ;)), I'd be soooo happy. Sadly neither of this will ever happen, and Platinum is now sour on MS (rightfully so), and probably will NEVER work with them again.

But it would be such an instant buy for me then :D.

Edit:
I forgot, they also will need to fix those damn install times! I do not buy a console on which I have to wait for a game to install. I have a PC for that "feature" :).

cireza

Games :
- single player First Party games
- major Third Party games also on Xbox

What is the point of a new console if I keep missing on great Third Party games, and that no First Party game is interesting to me ?

hemtaro

Neo Member
Honestly, reason the xbox never really appeal to me was the games. I've felt that playstation always had a larger more diversified libraries of games. Microsoft, in my opinion anyways, always felt like a console for shooters with sme great exclusives versus ps4 which currently has amazing exclusives...horizon, gravity rush, uncharted, last of us, ratchet clank...

Chinner

Banned
I'm not going to buy an Xbox as I basically have a PC now and they have the same game coverage. No need for another purchase. If I were going to get an Xbox it would to have more exclusives and better SP games. More unique IPS. Basically like to see them take the same approach as they did with the early years of X360 when they got Mass Effect and Deakins etc.

I wouldn't buy Xbox just for the yearly rotation of Halo, Gears or War and Forza.

hemtaro

Neo Member
I'm not going to buy an Xbox as I basically have a PC now as they have the same game coverage. If I were going to get an Xbox it would to have more exclusives and better SP games.

I wouldn't buy Xbox just for the yearly rotation of Halo, Gears or War and Forza.
So true....i have a gaming pc....no point in getting scorpio

They need to prove their first party exclusives outside the Halo-Gears-Forza cycle actually matter, and they need to give me an option to get the Scorpio for a stupid low price by trading in my actual Xbone. Since neither will happen, I don't see myself owning a Scorpio anytime soon.

Summed up my thoughts perfectly... I've only had my xb1 since January and I'm shocked it doesn't have more exclusives... Scorpio needs exclusives and a very good trade in deal before i consider it

Nestunt

For my tastes, they have a steep mountain to climb. Right now, I haven't simply pulled the trigger on a PS4 Pro because I think the Spencer tutelage has earned my benefit of the doubt. But even the Switch seems more compelling than the Scorpio.

To sum up, and reading the previous paragraph, it is obvious that, for me, they need quality exclusives. And there are not many games that can convince me to not invest on TLOU2, FROM's partnership with Sony, Death Stranding, Zelda, Mario, etc..

They would need something truly special and bombastic. Getting the new project of Ken Levine or a new project from Sakaguchi would help, but still would have a difficult time in tipping the balance. Right this instance, only Cyberpunk 2077 exclusivity would be, of projects we know about, the type of ridiculous announcement that would make me buy a Scorpio. So, they are not in a good spot, for me, of course.

Ushay

One of the best, if not the best versions of third party games, which constitute 95% of games that we play.

Honestly I think things like UI, controller and platform value are as important as exclusives. MS seem to have done everything but that, or at least tried in vain (Quantum Break etc). I don't blame them for going for third party eclxclusives as long as they produce high quality.

Wireframe

I'm honestly not interested in scorpio at this point. I can play xbox games on a much better PC and sony and nintendo have my console gaming down. If I come away from e3 wanting one I'll give huge props to MS.

It's not as much price.

Not as much power.

Make me care about xbox exclusive games and xbox as a platform again. It needs to be high quality exclusives I want to kick myself for not being able to play until I get the machine.

That's how I felt as a ps2 and ps3 owner in the og xbox days and early 360 days. Bought both consoles and own nice libraries for each now.

Do I think that will happen right now? Not really.

gafneo

Banned
Launch it with first party games like Perfect Dark, Battletoads, Conker, Banjo, Jetforce, and Wizards & Warriors. Give them faithful art styles without blocky heads and stick figure arms.

0racle

One feature which would be essential is 1080p (4k,30?) Automatic, patch free upscaling of all existing Xbox software. I assume all software going forward will be Scorpio optimized.

Majmun

Not interested in Halo, Gears or Forza. Most MS exclusives are not interesting to me. Games like Ori run fine on my computer. I love that game.

But I'll get one it has a microwave option. Mine has been acting up lately.

If we are being honest i think its over for them this gen. They will never get close to playstation, they had a slim chance during the wii u time to try to compete with sony but with cancellations of some of their games they lost the trust of a lot of the gamers, and now with the success of the switch nintendo ate what's left of their lunch.

By the time the scorpio comes out ps4 will be around 200-250$ with a huge verity of established franchises and well reviewed exclusives, so regardless of how powerful the scorpio is it wont be cheaper than 300, and the majority of people at this stage are looking at prices as a main factor to make a purchase.

Microsoft needs to take a huge lose into investing in the next gen. Start by creating new franchises now, new exclusive, if they dont sell millions it is ok, you are creating names that has attachment to the brand so when the next xbox comes you can get a good reaction when you announce their sequel.

But they are fighting a losing battle now.

Chumley

Banned
If the RDR2 improvements over Pro are big enough that's basically all it takes for me, assuming a PC version is a year off.

Trup1aya

Can't see myself buying one at launch, but I think that's a good thing. If they are truly going for after the iPhone model, where new consoles are future proof for a while, I'll probably buy a Scorpio when xb2 drives its price down.

I'll probably stay a half gen behind, but I'll be buying more software.

Edit that said, if some of my favorite Rare IP get announced and are visually stunning on Scorpio, I wouldn't be able to resist.

Cerbero

Nothing, i feel like the Scorpio is going to be a console only for americans who don't own or do not want a gaming PC, the Xbox brand is pretty much already dead worldwide

lt519

I've never gotten a Microsoft console. They'd have to have some absolutely killer exclusives since I already have a PS4. I came close with Sunset Overdrive a couple times but Forza/Halo/Gears doesn't get me going.

One thing that would ensure a purchase is if it could in a way replace my 5 year old HTPC. I'm in search of a UHD 4K player and that could tip me over the edge.

Top Bottom