• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon criticized by Native American writer for "brave", "savage", other terms

Spuck-uk

Banned
Nora culture is clearly an amalgamation of Native American ones.

Game gets pats on the back for being diverse.

Game casts no Native Americans.

It doesn't seem any more Native American than it does Aborigine, or Ainu, or one of any other of dozens of worldwide tribal groups.

In fact, the assumptions that the author makes in her article are pretty insulting. we don't all live in America, the developers sure as hell don't. No native americans over here, weirdly.

Kalentan

Some people like myself saw the original E3 trailer and didn't want to follow news on it so not to be spoiled on anything. I just found my first Holo deck thing with stories of the past a day after reading this thread. With about 99 more to find I would have liked to find the location on my own. Not be told via a random thread

Sorry but your taking spoiler culture to an extreme. It's not a plot point, it was literally revealed in the trailers. It's fair game. The game isn't ruined because you learned about a non-plot point. I know I'm not the person who mentioned it in the first place but I've seen others say what you're saying and just get baffled.

It's like getting angry that someone mentioned a character wearing a specific shirt in an episode of a show that was shown in the shows season trailer.

Also a random thread? It's not like you went into a thread about Zelda or Nier. You're in a Horizon thread.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah. Basically it's based on the population size you are estimating and your level of confidence you want in your results. (Well there are lots of other things but I would be 99% positiive they are using a normal distribution) The sample size you need to have 99% confidence is significantly higher than 95% which is a good deal higher than 90% and so on. I would assume they are using 95% confidence since its pretty standard.

The other factor is getting an unbias sample. Not bias in the sense of responses but more so that your sample is random and reflective of the population you are estimating. Pretty much any statistic you read should detail the methodolgy. It's questionable if they dont lay out the data set.

Thanks for going over that. :)

There is a mission where Aloy rescues a thief from some Glinthawks. And even though he thanks her he keeps calling her a 'Savage' Nora because he's Carja and the Carja where a) fighting the Nora a few years back and b) are assholes (some of them anyway like the Sunhawk). And Aloy says something like "Great, no longer being called Castout but Savage". I mean context is everything.
Also, who says there are no Native Americans in the game? There is such a huge variety of colours and racial features in the game it's impossible to tell. What are people expecting exactly?
As for using "Brave". How many people know of its etymology? Exactly. Should we know? Sure. But I think it's reasonable that people generally don't know and aren't expected to know. Now that Guerilla do know I'm sure in the sequel they won't use the word again. Perhaps.

Some people like myself saw the original E3 trailer and didn't want to follow news on it so not to be spoiled on anything. I just found my first Holo deck thing with stories of the past a day after reading this thread. With about 99 more to find I would have liked to find the location on my own. Not be told via a random thread

Well don't come into a thread analysing the game then.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Sorry but your taking spoiler culture to an extreme. It's not a plot point, it was literally revealed in the trailers. It's fair game. The game isn't ruined because you learned about a non-plot point. I know I'm not the person who mentioned it in the first place but I've seen others say what you're saying and just get baffled.

It's like getting angry that someone mentioned a character wearing a specific shirt in an episode of a show that was shown in the shows season trailer.

Also a random thread? It's not like you went into a thread about Zelda or Nier. You're in a Horizon thread.
giphy.gif

sn00zer

Finally got around to reading the article after playing a bit of Horizon, and its much more benign than people had let on. Seems largely to ask people to take care when dealing with these sort of things rather than a brazen condemnation of the game.

I wanted to bring this thread up again now that the game is out and specifically in reference to the word brave.

Spoilers for Horizon around last half of the game. Specifically in use of the word "braves". Seriously do not read if you havent played the game as its a very neat scene.

The word "braves" in the game comes from a particular scene that occurs hundreds of years in the past of the Horizon world. Essentially a group of children are locked in a vault for most of their lives and raised by mother and father robots. When they are finally released in the world as food has run out, there is a scene with the troubled teenagers and the mother robot. The teenager tell the mother how scared they are and the mother essentially replies with "You all need to be brave". This sets in motion the use of "braves anointed by Mother" in that culture.

Just to give some context to that specific word. Also I think as other have said "savage" is used in a negative context only by "evil" characters.

But I'm not native american so I do not know how these words effect others. The article also seems less about calling out the game specifically and more about how reviewers used the words.

Top Bottom