• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores is getting slammed on Metacritic (story spoilers)

mrmustard

Banned
Not everyone criticizing it though can be categorized as throwing a fit. I think most straight gamers would just prefer to play as a straight protagonist because makes the character more relatable to them. It’s why gay romance movies don’t do well. Straight people (who make up the majority), just aren’t really interested.
Assassins Creed has the perfect solution. They don't say what your charakter is, they offer you male and female romances during the game and the choice is yours.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Last edited:

ProtoByte

Oh wow. Just wow. "Social engineering". I'm a bit unsure why you mention that 5% of the population non- heterosexual? Are you trying to imply that non heterosexual characters in video games or the Horizon franchise exceed 5%? Because they don't.
I would be interested in doing the math on that, but at the rate we're going, half the new IP between last gen, this gen and next will be full to the brim with non cis-hetero whatever the hell characters.

What I'm saying with that percentage is that even if we're talking about the entire world, and not the core audience of games, that "community" so called is the vast minority, and what they do is not what most people outside of it are interested in seeing. Some more vehemently than others, and some take it too far. But the point still stands.

Whether it makes sense in the context of the world? That's not at all how sexuality and attraction works. Saying that “Aloy should be focused on her job” is not a valid criticism. She's a person, not a machine that is only designed for one task.
That's not how attraction works, but it is how the social norms around it work.

In the context of Horizon's world, populated by traditionalistic and religious tribes built on the back of the foundation of continuing the human race, heterosexual relationships that bear children would be heavily incentivized, and people who were not heterosexual would be accepted to extremely varying degrees; but almost none of it would include the type of celebratory praise that is had in the modern west. It would bring internal and external conflict for the given characters.

Edit: It should be noted that the reference to Aloy focusing on the job is not an argument I make now, but an argument others made to justify why Aloy shows not simply no romantic interest, but aloofness towards any of the characters that she calls close friends in the main game. Surely, that should still apply?

Are you aware that Guerrilla Studios is not located in the United States?
Of course, but their parent's HQ is in California (PlayStation that is).

Last edited:

Madflavor

Who the fuck is even this character she has a romance with? There were two entire games before the Burning Shores DLC with a bunch of recurring characters around Aloy's age that she could've developed a romance with over time, but this random visually uninteresting character from a DLC gets Aloy's panties wet? It's just a weird choice to introduce this kind of thing now. Horizon is known for allowing you to make choices for Aloy. Would it not make sense to have Aloy be Bi, and give the player the choice on who she's romantically interested in by the third game? You know, have some sort of payoff?

sendit

I really wish games would start putting an option to enable or disable woke agenda stuff. Let the gamers decide what they want (or not) in their playthrough.

As for this DLC, in that particular scenario, I chose the option that basically said, "I don't have time for this."

What's worse. People complaining about woke agenda's or people complaining about woke agenda's?

MacReady13

Who the fuck is even this character she has a romance with? There were two entire games before the Burning Shores DLC with a bunch of recurring characters around Aloy's age that she could've developed a romance with over time, but this random visually uninteresting character from a DLC gets Aloy's panties wet? It's just a weird choice to introduce this kind of thing now. Horizon is known for allowing you to make choices for Aloy. Would it not make sense to have Aloy be Bi, and give the player the choice on who she's romantically interested in by the third game? You know, have some sort of payoff?
Wouldn't it be better to focus instead on enhancing gameplay over stories in games? Remember those days, where gameplay was king? Now we focus on games stories like we are watching movies. Can't believe I tell my kids today that we used to PLAY games, not just watch them.

Madflavor

Wouldn't it be better to focus instead on enhancing gameplay over stories in games? Remember those days, where gameplay was king? Now we focus on games stories like we are watching movies. Can't believe I tell my kids today that we used to PLAY games, not just watch them.

Yes I completely agree.

Shakka43

What's worse. People complaining about woke agenda's or people complaining about woke agenda's?
Same Thing GIF by PragerU

Hayabusa83

Banned
Religion is bad, but remember a male spirit can mistakenly inhabit a female body and a female spirit can mistakenly inhabit a male body.

Top Bottom