• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores is getting slammed on Metacritic (story spoilers)

Fake

What I find funny is when western gaming journalists got all pissed when it turn out Bayonetta is not gay.

I guess you can’t have “strong female“ characters unless they are gay.

I‘m more surprised Aloy would show Interest to anyone other than herself and her own voice.

There are some zero scores inside Bayonetta 3 user review score on Metacritic whining about why Bayonetta is not lesbian or Queer(even giving spoilers?)

Look if anyone care here.

Rush2112

Banned
It would be more brave to make her not gay and have gamer's watch a sex scene of her getting rammed hard by some Quen douchebag.

This is such a safe way to cover both check boxes. Gamers love lesbians cause they don't want their girl getting fucked by any guy but them and this checks that beloved LGBTQ+ and will net you unlimited defense points on Twitter.
She looks like the fat girls wearing flip flops at my local wal mart. Doubt shes high on anybodys list unless thats what they go for.

RevGaming

?!?
I'm in Portugal (in case you don't know, it is in EU!) and I'm gay...

I didnt get that impression from the games. I felt the only reason she didn't try to pursue a relationship with any of the interested male suiters was because she didn't have time for that, her mission was too important. I never felt that she lacked interest in them.
Yes. I read that you're gay, and idk why are two characters too much gay for you. Well you spend your time in a usa centric site and hobby so you're bound to adquire these ilusions that everything is politics.

well we guessed wrong.
If you genuinely think the recent appearance of this stuff in games is apolitical you really must be dense.

Just a complete coincidence!!! Sure.
Not all directors have politics when they create things lol.

It makes games sell less for crying out loud.

ProtoByte

You can make her straight, lesbian, bi, or nothing.
C'mon dude. We both know that isn't true. Aloy is not an avatar. All things considered, she's a pretty fixed personality.
You have the choice to kiss Seyka in the DLC, but you don't have the choice to influence whether Aloy is attracted to her, which she clearly is. You don't have the choice to make Aloy kiss any of the men she apparently cares about and who care about her, and it's never really communicated that she has even passing interest in them.

You said:

“god I can't stand this trend of every character having to have a sexual preference”

And I pointed out a totally normal and accepted example of a protagonist having a sexual preference in a game most consider among the GOATs, not just hitting on one but practically all of the females he interacts with in the game. And nobody had a problem with it then or now. But a female protagonist being into chicks? OH MY GOD GET YOUR POLITICS OUTTA MUH GAMEZ CAN’T WE HAVE WHOLESOME DADS??

I find it tiresome. And good old Charles has long since passed, but I’m a wholesome dad to my own actual kids now, and I don’t think they’ll ever be upset if a girl kisses a girl, and that’s a good thing.
Here's the uncomfortable truth. 95+% of the population, around the globe is heterosexual. And that's no surprise, because if the human race is to continue existing, that needs to be the paradigm. So when this kind of stuff just happens to get pushed to prominence in the biggest productions of the entertainment industries, often when the property or franchise is already successful, above what is statistically normal, whether or not it actually makes sense in the context of the world (and in the context of Horizon's traditionalistic cultures and on-the-brink-of-extinction scenarios, it really doesn't), plot or characters (see the arguments about Aloy being focused on her job as the Messiah of humanity), it's a very obvious attempt at social engineering.

The thing is that they literally tell you that that's what they're doing. They make entire blog posts, videos, corporate mission statements about why they're putting certain content in their games, making effort to hire people based on identity variables for the sake of bragging rights, and further influence of the content (which I think is quite ironically insulting to the groups that are being targeted there).

And who are they bragging to? The 80+% heterosexual male audience that plays Horizon? Women? Even lesbians? No, no, and not really, believe it or not.

They're bragging to special interest groups like GLAAD so that they can attract ESG investments. They're appeasing government officials who get all sorts of funding and donations to push this kind of thing. They're increasingly subsumed by a cabal of activists making the the studios inhospitable for non hyper "progressive" philosophies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
That is just as dumb. People really get too fired up about this crap that at the end of the day is trivial.
At the end of the day that is why we are having this discussion in the first place.
A small minority bitched about representation and now both of Sony's biggest IP's with heroines are gay.
Because what it all boils down to is we have gone from characters who could be straight, gay or bi.
They could be anything because the games barely divulge into it as they focus foremost on the story to push the narrative forward and the only relationships are established at the very beginning or are fully part of the narrative.
And now we gone to everyone having a coming out party as the main story beat shoehorned in at a later date.
That is why people are rolling their eyes and are annoyed.
It's becoming like a CW TV show after 2016.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Yes. I read that you're gay, and idk why are two characters too much gay for you. Well you spend your time in a usa centric site and hobby so you're bound to adquire these ilusions that everything is politics.

well we guessed wrong.

Not politics, plain old opportunism.
If it was stated, or strongly hinted that Aloy was lesbian early in the first game, nobody would even bother with this in the DLC of the second one.
But adding this in the DLC, accessible only after finishing the second game, seems opportunistic and a rushed decision just to tick the "inclusivity" box they forgot when making the main game.
I'm all for as many gay characters as possible as long as they are well written and their sexuality is relevant to the story.
When I play a game I don't care if a character is straight or not, it's irrelevant to their purpose in the game, but if you (the devs) feel it is important I know their sexual orientation, give me a reason why it is important, don't just shove it in my face!
Her sexual orientation is completely irrelevant for the game main story or side quests.
It feels like the joke sketch of Mario with Pedro Pascal where characters just introduced themselves and shouted "I'm bissexual" for no reason.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
C'mon dude. We both know that isn't true. Aloy is not an avatar. All things considered, she's a pretty fixed personality.
You have the choice to kiss Seyka in the DLC, but you don't have the choice to influence whether Aloy is attracted to her, which she clearly is. You don't have the choice to make Aloy kiss any of the men she apparently cares about and who care about her, and it's never really communicated that she has even passing interest in them.

Here's the uncomfortable truth. 95+% of the population, around the globe is heterosexual. And that's no surprise, because if the human race is to continue existing, that needs to be the paradigm. So when this kind of stuff just happens to get pushed to prominence in the biggest productions of the entertainment industries, often when the property or franchise is already successful, above what is statistically normal, whether or not it actually makes sense in the context of the world (and in the context of Horizon's traditionalistic cultures and on-the-brink-of-extinction scenarios, it really doesn't), plot or characters (see the arguments about Aloy being focused on her job as the Messiah of humanity), it's a very obvious attempt at social engineering.

The thing is that they literally tell you that that's what they're doing. They make entire blog posts, videos, corporate mission statements about why they're putting certain content in their games, making effort to hire people based on identity variables for the sake of bragging rights, and further influence of the content (which I think is quite ironically insulting to the groups that are being targeted there).

And who are they bragging to? The 80+% heterosexual male audience that plays Horizon? Women? Even lesbians? No, no, and not really, believe it or not.

They're bragging to special interest groups like GLAAD so that they can attract ESG investments. They're appeasing government officials who get all sorts of funding and donations to push this kind of thing. They're increasingly subsumed by a cabal of activists making the the studios inhospitable for non hyper "progressive" philosophies.
Well, one thing I’ll give you is you’re at least being honest about be it being an issue with her being gay rather than playing ridiculous mental gymnastics to say romance hasn’t been a part of games in the past.

On the other hand, you’re pulling statistics and conspiracies out of thin air.

Last edited:

Sephimoth

Are there any other main female main protagonists from active Sony first party IP or is it just Ellie and Aloy?
Chloe Frazer i guess?

Last edited:

ProtoByte

Well, one thing I’ll give you is you’re at least being honest about be it being an issue with her being gay rather than playing ridiculous mental gymnastics to say romance not being a part of games in the past.
I don't think homosexuals should be treated differently or mistreated, but I don't think there "should" be a balancing of the scales or anything like that in entertainment media either. If anything "should" happen, it's proportional representation, and that means that homosexual characters continue to be in the vast minority. Representation is neither good or bad in itself; in Burning Shores, it appears to be forced. In a lot of entertainment now, it clearly is. Anyone who gets mad at me saying that is just mad at me for noticing.

The funniest thing is that while these companies don't entirely fear having female homosexuality being front and center, I can almost guarantee none of them entertain the idea of making a AAA game with a homosexual man. That would genuinely hurt the financial prospects of the game.

On the other hand, you’re pulling statistics and conspiracies out of thin air.
I'm not. That 95% is probably a lowball. Something like 93% of the US population claims heterosexuality. And in a time when coming out as anything but that nets attention, which is highly valued in itself these days, and can become currency for opportunity otherwise, let's just say that I think some of that social engineering is working.

The 80% guess for Horizon, is not hard to envision either. Men are the majority of console owners by a good margin, and the more "core" a given game is, the higher the proportion of the male base for the game is too.

I can bet you that 80% is a severe lowball if we're talking about heterosexual men and women.

As for the conspiracies point lol, are you fucking serious?

Anyone with even a passing knowledge of the corporate world knows about this stuff. You're either a liar, or you need to go away while the adults are talking.

Last edited:

Hunnybun

well we guessed wrong.

I didn't say all directors allow their politics to influence their games.

KingT731

I'm not. That 95% is probably a lowball. Something like 93% of the US population claims heterosexuality. And in a time when coming out as anything but that nets attention, which is highly valued in itself these days, and can become currency for opportunity otherwise, let's just say that I think some of that social engineering is working.
Would this include Bi/Pan whatever folks in heteronormative relationships?

Dick Jones

Gold Member
I am red blooded male happily married to a woman but I just do not get why people get so worked about LGBT stuff. Who cares? They don't affect my life in any way.
Your wife will play Horizon DLC and poof, she wants to suck on bigole tiddies. You can't deny the facts here. /s

• LOL
Reactions: TGO

Woggleman

Your wife will play Horizon DLC and poof, she wants to suck on bigole tiddies. You can't deny the facts here. /s
My wife played TLOU 2 story two times and she is still interested in something else which I have. She also says some people don't like Aloy and Abby because they are in better shape than they are.

Spitfire098

253Lc4v.jpg

Last edited:
Think what you want, both that choice and kissing seyka are optional, not canon.

That’s one way to look at it.

Another is that with all of the male characters thirsting for her, the only responses she gave were friendly or awkward dismissals. With the lady in the DLC, an option to kiss is given. It’s clear the direction they’re talking the character.

But it’s hilarious to consider the Avad dialogue a romance option. It was a couple lines of dialogue where she friend zones him.

Atrus

Gold Member
I’ve got about 25+ hours so far and am at the final mission. This outrage stuff is overplayed by a bunch of console warring incels.

The expansion is on the short end with few side quests that isn’t as built up as Frozen Wilds but there’s zero of this lgbt stuff people are claiming that’s in your face.

Even if they give you an Avad like choice in the end, it would barely register.

Last edited:
It gives you the option not to kiss at the end, so what is the problem

I'm not saying it wont be cannon in the next game, because it probably will, but whilst the options there I don't get the outrage at all

There is literally an option to say you aren't interested and walk off
I haven’t played it yet, but I think people find it really strange that Aloy from what I heard doesn’t have an option to kiss or romance a male character. This new female character just came out of nowhere and suddenly there’s an option to romance her in the DLC though.

GymWolf

That’s one way to look at it.

Another is that with all of the male characters thirsting for her, the only responses she gave were friendly or awkward dismissals. With the lady in the DLC, an option to kiss is given. It’s clear the direction they’re talking the character.

But it’s hilarious to consider the Avad dialogue a romance option. It was a couple lines of dialogue where she friend zones him.
Like i said, agree to disagree, i'm not really interested in who she like to fucks, i play the game for other reasons, i'm not even denying that her sexuality (lesbian or bi-sex) is not some sort of woke agenda bullshit, we all know modern sony...

TGO

Are there any other main female main protagonists from active Sony first party IP or is it just Ellie and Aloy?
Chloe Frazer i guess?
Nope.
Ellie & Aloy are Sony's only lead female characters in a ongoing IP, Chloe Frazer is a supporting Character with the exception of Uncharted: The Lost Legacy which was a Spin-off in which she was lead.
and for intents and purposes Uncharted is now a dormant IP.

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Who doubled for one second Alloy liked to munch the carpet. Almost as unbangable as Abby from TLOU2.

Portugeezer

The choice is there, so she's gay/bi.

Predictable, it's a meme at this point.

Can't wait to play as Nathan Drakes gay (probably) offspring, and weren't Square making Lara Croft gay? Because yeah.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The choice is there, so she's gay/bi.

Predictable, it's a meme at this point.

Can't wait to play as Nathan Drakes gay (probably) offspring, and weren't Square making Lara Croft gay? Because yeah.
Lara will have a choice to be gay or straight like mass effect.

But yes, there is no way the next uncharted has s straight protagonist. Wouldn’t be surprised if they make his daughter trans.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Shame they didn’t make her trans.
Aloy having an 16 inch robo dong would have been the best.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
My wife played TLOU 2 story two times and she is still interested in something else which I have. She also says some people don't like Aloy and Abby because they are in better shape than they are.
See, she is already eyeing up women's bodies. It's too late. Just contact the divorce lawyer. Damn you Sony, you can't keep getting away with this
itrOETm.gif

Last edited:

TGO

Wait, wait, wait I can make Aloy make out with another chick in the DLC? Awesome 10/10.
If this was the 2000's it would be pretty awesome.
But modern day lesbians?
clint-eastwood-gran-torino.gif

Top Bottom