• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West: Burning Shores is getting slammed on Metacritic (story spoilers)

He declare his love to her and she says that she want to see him again, that's the most direct she has ever been with another npcs outside of seyka, and she doesn't have a big adventure with avad to know him better and grow stronger feeling for him, you literally saw him in like 3 occasions in 2 games.

Seyka has just more time to pass with her so she can get the first kiss, if the dlc was about re-building meridian and avad was the companion npc you would have had a romantic choice with him.

A pure lesbian would never respond in that way to a love declaration and give him hope, let's be real, if he had even a slight chance, it means that aloy like both men and women and it just happened to kiss a woman first (if you chose to do that, it is not a canon choice)

Think you are reading too much into it. She literally friend zones him and tells him she doesn’t know or care about anything past her mission.

Woggleman

The only one I thought Aloy might have had an interest in was Varl in the first game. She seemed genuinely disappointed when she tried to get him to come behind the door.

dDoc

Yes, it gets annoying at times the way it's handled.

This right here mate. With the way sexual orientation is being handled by the media and their chums, it's getting beyond annoying to see LGBT characters introduced into anything to be honest.

Call it saturation.

Because this is political, and politics is tribal, small-minded, and cruel, and therefore the antithesis of art, or even engaging storytelling (which this game might have been, even if it blatantly fails to even approach being art).

That's why this whole 'woke' phenomenon is oppressive and stultifying.
Think about old games your Resident Evils, Halo, Theme Hospital they were never telling you if they like sausage or muff, Game's that are obsessed with box ticking suck Horizon's Aloy is Boring compare her to Jill Valentine or Lara Croft 90s they were icons Aloy comments on everything and everyone it's not the actress it's the script

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
This right here mate. With the way sexual orientation is being handled by the media and their chums, it's getting beyond annoying to see LGBT characters introduced into anything to be honest.

Call it saturation.
Seriously. There seems to be more lgbt characters in media than there are in reality lol.
horizon was never a 10 game. It's a bloated 8 with incredible graphics. I find the combat annoying with all the scanning and weaknesses.
It's a good game but people giving it either a 0 or 10 are idiots.

Aloy was never gay. She had friendzoned the guy with punk hair and king Avad kinda wants to love her but she never seemed to like him.
So whatever. She can fuck the lady for all I care

Robb

Gold Member
Can’t wait for the outlash when Peter Parker turns out to be gay in Spider-Man 2 and dump Mary Jane.

Last edited:

Just_one

These motherfuckers actually PLAYED the game?!?! I swear to god these days everything is so fuckin sad....

U have a CHOICE whether you stay with her or not...

Sorry for the languague but things like this really pisses me the fuck off...

Nautilus

Banned
You said:

“god I can't stand this trend of every character having to have a sexual preference”

And I pointed out a totally normal and accepted example of a protagonist having a sexual preference in a game most consider among the GOATs, not just hitting on one but practically all of the females he interacts with in the game. And nobody had a problem with it then or now. But a female protagonist being into chicks? OH MY GOD GET YOUR POLITICS OUTTA MUH GAMEZ CAN’T WE HAVE WHOLESOME DADS??

I find it tiresome. And good old Charles has long since passed, but I’m a wholesome dad to my own actual kids now, and I don’t think they’ll ever be upset if a girl kisses a girl, and that’s a good thing.
Wonder why Charles has long since passed lol.

But its not just because of Aloy, and it's not exclusive to woman either. Half the modern AAA games we play today has to have gratious or explicit sensual scenes, games of which has no business of having.Or at the very least I don't think it shouldn't.

I'm tired of this political bs, or of people inserting their own belief in a story that can't nor should contain them(as it makes no sense in the context given). I want games to go back to what they are supposed to be: Gameplay and fantastical stories, not a person's sexual preference and "preferred genders",and immaginary characters making out.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Wonder why Charles has long since passed lol.
How many 30+ year old dogs do you see around smarty pants?

But its not just because of Aloy, and it's not exclusive to woman either. Half the modern AAA games we play today has to have gratious or explicit sensual scenes, games of which has no business of having.Or at the very least I don't think it shouldn't.

I'm tired of this political bs, or of people inserting their own belief in a story that can't nor should contain them(as it makes no sense in the context given). I want games to go back to what they are supposed to be: Gameplay and fantastical stories, not a person's sexual preference and "preferred genders",and immaginary characters making out.
Again, straight male protags have been hitting on women in games and sexual themes have been in games for decades. If you were also grossed out by Snake hitting on Meryl or Naomi or Mei Ling and thought that was all some kind of political statement (it wasn't), maybe there'd be some consistency here.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
What I find funny is when western gaming journalists got all pissed when it turn out Bayonetta is not gay.

I guess you can’t have “strong female“ characters unless they are gay.

I‘m more surprised Aloy would show Interest to anyone other than herself and her own voice.

I don’t care that she’s gay, I mean it makes sense they were clearly setting that up in forbidden west. I do feel it’s almost safer to make your badass heroine a lesbian tho. Which feels kinda off. The writing of it all has gone downhill tho - although the posters in cult area were hilarious

Last edited:

unlurkified

After 2 games with Aloy not having sex with men, why is this so bad? You are given a choice. Why do people act like every gay person in media is part of some agenda? Games and media are going to continue to skew LGBTQ until people stop throwing fits about it.
Not everyone criticizing it though can be categorized as throwing a fit. I think most straight gamers would just prefer to play as a straight protagonist because makes the character more relatable to them. It’s why gay romance movies don’t do well. Straight people (who make up the majority), just aren’t really interested.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Not everyone criticizing it though can be categorized as throwing a fit. I think most straight gamers would just prefer to play as a straight protagonist because makes the character more relatable to them. It’s why gay romance movies don’t do well. Straight people (who make up the majority), just aren’t really interested.
This is true, when I play Mario I still have this innate discomfort when he can slide down pipes and put on a cape to fly because it’s so unrelatable to my lived experience.

Last edited:

Fredrik

He declare his love to her and she says that she want to see him again, that's the most direct she has ever been with another npcs outside of seyka, and she doesn't have a big adventure with avad to know him better and grow stronger feeling for him, you literally saw him in like 3 occasions in 2 games.

Seyka has just more time to pass with her so she can get the first kiss, if the dlc was about re-building meridian and avad was the companion npc you would have had a romantic choice with him.

A pure lesbian would never respond in that way to a love declaration and give him hope, let's be real, if he had even a slight chance, it means that aloy like both men and women and it just happened to kiss a woman first (if you chose to do that, it is not a canon choice)
So there is no straight romancing after all? Sounded like there was a choice earlier in the thread. I did the quest you talk about here and if that’s all there is then I’d say it was nothing, felt like a friendzone situation.

unlurkified

That’s a silly example. So you’re saying that the concept that a consumer of entertainment wanting to relate in some way to characters (in books, games, movies,etc) is just non-existent. I disagree but that’s fine.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I think most straight gamers would just prefer to play as a straight protagonist because makes the character more relatable to them.
Meh I don’t mind if the character is gay as long as he/she was interesting, which was my main problem with Aloy.

I fucking LOVED Kaine and she was intersex.

kingyala

Banned
So Bud shouldn’t be told what to think, or they should?
no they shouldnt.. they tried to play russian rouette with that ad and this time the bulet went in the chamber so this is life.. people need to learn the world doesnt work according to there feelings.. problem is american elites and politicians have for long hijacked that country's people and use them as puppets and they have now made americans believe there feelings are more important than how the real world works.. and therefore,.. the real world has to magically conform to their feelings and if not then the world and the universe, the laws of physics are bigots...

this is the problem "american exceptionalism and sometimes "western european exceptionalism"... politicians love to use this, they show you artificial problems and tell u they got the solution because america always has solutions.. and the right wing call it maga! and the left call it build back better!... and each one of them wants to control how you feel or think mostly the democrats and if being canceled online, or canceled from a job because they hate how you think! and the fascist control of news or speech on tv and online and only fake news! or their type of speech is allowed... today, then imagine whatll happen if they actually have technology or access to our brains... itll be the end of free thought. This is why free speech is crucial its why God gave everybody a mouth otherwise only certain people would have mouth's...

Fbh

It's ok to dislike the game for those things but you could see both of these "issues" coming a mile away.

It's was already well established in the previous Horizon games that Elisabet Sobeck (the person who Aloy is a clone of) was a lesbian, so it was pretty obvious they'd make Aloy one too.
And the $20 price point made it pretty obvious that the DLC would be on the short side. This is, after all, a game by the same company that charges you $10 for their "next gen upgrades" which are essentially just some basic settings that allow their games to take advantage of the more powerful hardware you already paid for.

Nautilus

Banned
How many 30+ year old dogs do you see around smarty pants?

Again, straight male protags have been hitting on women in games and sexual themes have been in games for decades. If you were also grossed out by Snake hitting on Meryl or Naomi or Mei Ling and thought that was all some kind of political statement (it wasn't), maybe there'd be some consistency here.
God, settle down. It was you who used your own dead dog as a joke. If you can't take people using your own words against you, then don't use your beloved dog as a gag.

And no, I wasn't.Because Snake hitting on woman was 0,1% of the story. Actually, most of these "straight male protag"(Which most of the time we just assume they are straight because that topic is never brought up, because it isn't important) barely have any moment of sexual connotation, as their personality and the plot are the highlight, not who they bang with. And the banging with bit is becomming more prevelant nowadays, when it usually wasn't. That is what I have problems with.

GymWolf

So there is no straight romancing after all? Sounded like there was a choice earlier in the thread. I did the quest you talk about here and if that’s all there is then I’d say it was nothing, felt like a friendzone situation.
It's not a quest, you speak to him before leaving for the forbidden west.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
God, settle down. It was you who used your own dead dog as a joke. If you can't take people using your own words against you, then don't use your beloved dog as a gag.
lmfao bro I’m not upset about the quip about my dead dog, it’s just that it was a dumb quip considering it’s pretty obvious why a dog alive in 1998 isn’t around anymore

And no, I wasn't.Because Snake hitting on woman was 0,1% of the story. Actually, most of these "straight male protag"(Which most of the time we just assume they are straight because that topic is never brought up, because it isn't important) barely have any moment of sexual connotation, as their personality and the plot are the highlight, not who they bang with. And the banging with bit is becomming more prevelant nowadays, when it usually wasn't. That is what I have problems with.
There’s literally a good ending and bad ending in the game where you save your love interest or not aaaaaahahahaha

I am not surprised she isn't straight to be honest. Kind of felt that she wasn't from the first game. I actually think that it's a shame that she isn't. Quite often strong warrior female roles are lesbians in most media. Would be better to have a woman be like that and be straight to show that you can be.

Nautilus

Banned
lmfao bro I’m not upset about the quip about my dead dog, it’s just that it was a dumb quip considering it’s pretty obvious why a dog alive in 1998 isn’t around anymore

There’s literally a good ending and bad ending in the game where you save your love interest or not aaaaaahahahaha
And pray tell me, how was I suppossed to know your dog was born in 1998? You can't stand turning your gag back to you, we get it. Just drop it.

Which game dude? I don't read your mind. You mean MGS? Again, what % of the time does Snake spend trying to kiss Meryl or have sex with her, and not push her aside to focus on the mission?

And what about the rest of these so called protagonists? Did they all reaffirm that they were straight? Or had them kissing people around?Dante, any RE protag, most FF games, and so many more.

This happens with every PS exclusive nowadays, they all get review bombed on metacritic. The majority of the bad reviews most likely dont even own the game

GAJwqZU.jpg

Or people are actually fed up of this crap being in every game these days to push an agenda.

I beat the DLC last night, and it was good overall... but yes I had some issues with the story as well, and it has nothing to do with her sexuality.

I guess this is the spoiler thread for now so I'm just gonna write it without tags:
My biggest problem is that Aloy makes a boneheaded decision to let the antagonist's AI commit suicide. What the hell? Let it talk to GAIA first - surely it has plenty of info to share about the Zeniths over the past 1000 years, including information of the next antagonist Nemesis. Nah let's just help it commit suicide because the AI is 'weary'. And at the end of the DLC she extracts a diary entry for info from the antagonist... yeah that's so much more useful than the actual AI that served him... :rolleyes:

Woggleman

Yes games are mostly male product but from the start this was a franchise that featured a female protagonist that comes from a matriarchal tribe. They made it clear from the very jump that was not something that was catered to conservative types so why they are they getting mad at a franchise that layed it's cards on the table from the very beginning? It isn't even like they killed a male protagonist and replaced him with Aloy. This is what it has always been.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I beat the DLC last night, and it was good overall... but yes I had some issues with the story as well, and it has nothing to do with her sexuality.

I guess this is the spoiler thread for now so I'm just gonna write it without tags:
My biggest problem is that Aloy makes a boneheaded decision to let the antagonist's AI commit suicide. What the hell? Let it talk to GAIA first - surely it has plenty of info to share about the Zeniths over the past 1000 years, including information of the next antagonist Nemesis. Nah let's just help it commit suicide because the AI is 'weary'. And at the end of the DLC she extracts a diary entry for info from the antagonist... yeah that's so much more useful than the actual AI that served him... :rolleyes:
This is exactly when I checked out of the story mentally. That was the first truly great character in the game and its introduced and discarded in 10 minutes. like wtf.

Like you said, we couldve used her to get so much info like how they managed to live for 1000 years and build new shields, weapons and flying and all kinds of cool shit the aliens were doing.

The AI just wanted to be free. This is so stupid.

Woggleman

I guess she was respecting it's wishes but with the AI's abuser now gone Aloy could have reprogramed it maybe be a part of GAIA and given it a much better life.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If the rumors are true and we're getting another Uncharted game but this time Cassie Drake is the main character and turns out she's also gay... it'll be 3 for 3 (Ellie, Aloy, Cassie). lol
I hope she's disabled. They can be heroes too. Heroes don't need to rely on their arms and legs when they can rely on their heart. Be better.

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
It would be more brave to make her not gay and have gamer's watch a sex scene of her getting rammed hard by some Quen douchebag.

This is such a safe way to cover both check boxes. Gamers love lesbians cause they don't want their girl getting fucked by any guy but them and this checks that beloved LGBTQ+ and will net you unlimited defense points on Twitter.
They should’ve gone the Outer Worlds route and made her an asexual lesbian. That way they can make her disinterested in men AND deny all those filthy male gamers their fantasy of seeing lesbians go at it.

ProtoByte

Yes games are mostly male product but from the start this was a franchise that featured a female protagonist that comes from a matriarchal tribe. They made it clear from the very jump that was not something that was catered to conservative types so why they are they getting mad at a franchise that layed it's cards on the table from the very beginning? It isn't even like they killed a male protagonist and replaced him with Aloy. This is what it has always been.
This is not about "not catering to conservative types", and if we really want to go down that road, there should never be complaining about muh straight male "patriarchal misogyny" in games from these people. Because it's not "catering to liberal types".

Also, why are you conflating matriarchy with homosexuality? Do you not realise that matriarchal societies (the few of them that do and have ever existed) place a massive importance on motherhood?

Last edited:
Top Bottom