• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West Complete Edition for the PS5 will release on 2 UHD blu-ray discs

I have the PS4 disc version because it was €10 cheaper than the PS5 one (also have the DLC) so I guess I'll have to double dip and get the complete edition since both the game and the DLC will be on disc. 😏

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
FF7 Rebirth:

Surprised Meme GIF

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
It’s evident a blu ray successor is out there there’s always self improvement even with blu ray.

CamHostage

It’s evident a blu ray successor is out there there’s always self improvement even with blu ray.
Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to be the case. Physical media sales are struggling, so there's not much economical drive to bring another format to market, and no real frontrunner is waiting in the wings to replace BD. (Even UHD BD was soft as a new medium replacement booster.) There are a few possibilities brewing for new formats (most of it is intended for high-end enterprise business needs rather than cheap mass-consumer releases), but there's not a guaranteed Blu-ray successor.

Last edited:

Elysion

Banned
I don’t understand why this (or FF7 rebirth) needs two discs. Even if the game is larger than 100GB, isn’t the raw data on the disc compressed, and then gets decompressed when it gets installed on the harddrive? Even if the game is 130GB or something, surely that can be compressed into half that size, before being unpacked for the installation?

What new content is on the "complete edition" ?
Don't believe there is actually any new content. I think it's just Forbidden West packed with the newly released DLC Burning Shores. So you just get the whole package instead of buying the dlc and the game separately. It's good for those who do not own Forbidden West already.

Last edited:
Don't believe there is actually any new content. I think it's just Forbidden West packed with the newly released DLC Burning Shores. So you just get the whole package instead of buying the dlc and the game separately. It's good for those who do not know Forbidden West already.
I see. I got the digital version of the vanilla game with my PS5.

This is the second time I've seen a post like this today.

Are you saying you don't want physical games? Because I'm pretty sure some do.
Lmao no. I wouldn't be surprised if I have one of the larger shelf collections in this community. Physical game all the way baby.

It's just strange to me that Sony would go out of their way to manufacture a second disk when the base game fits on a blu-ray disk already.

StereoVsn

I am curious to see if this will have the double disk case. Might grab it once price falls a bit. Not a huge fan of the game and already have it through Plus, but I will not be renewing Plus Premium or Extra and might as well get the physical.

nowhat

It's just strange to me that Sony would go out of their way to manufacture a second disk when the base game fits on a blu-ray disk already.
Does it though, at least in the current incarnation? I maintain the game was pushed out of the oven too hot (there were all sorts of issues, the performance mode on PS5 was only one of them), so I wouldn't be surprised to see the game taking up much more space when compared to the launch disc version (which didn't even include the day 1 patches).

sachos

Hell yeah! Also the work DoesItPlay is doing championing physical media and its importance is really cool.
People say physical is dying but around 30% of games sold on Sony platforms are physical plus Nintendo keeps topping sales charts ONLY counting physical sales. If they continue supporting physical into the next generation they will have a strong advantage over the supposedly digital only next gen Xbox. The core audience will appreciate it.

Last edited:
Does it though, at least in the current incarnation? I maintain the game was pushed out of the oven too hot (there were all sorts of issues, the performance mode on PS5 was only one of them), so I wouldn't be surprised to see the game taking up much more space when compared to the launch disc version (which didn't even include the day 1 patches).
True, didn't even think about that.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
I don’t understand why this (or FF7 rebirth) needs two discs. Even if the game is larger than 100GB, isn’t the raw data on the disc compressed, and then gets decompressed when it gets installed on the harddrive? Even if the game is 130GB or something, surely that can be compressed into half that size, before being unpacked for the installation?

Huh? The file size on disc and the install to SSD are both compressed. It's the same 130gb. Uncompressed results in larger file and that only takes place when you are running the game.

Top Bottom