• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Forbidden West has a stunningly low amount of agency

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Popping back in to say I'm halfway through Tunic, and Tunic is a much, much better game.

Continue.
Big Brother Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

Swift_Star

Banned
You’re really uninformed about superior series it’s almost scary.

You can mount monsters in MH and make them fight against each other (in Rise/World). You can cut tails, break parts that prevent enemies from using certain moves or doing massive damage (like Gore Magala or Glavenus). You can shoot arrows at weak spots obviously.

The only thing in your list is mechanical enemies (although I guess I could use Valstrax) and using enemy turrets as weapons (although that’s one of the mechanics you use in the Atal-Ka fight). I guess I’m owned because they came up with one original idea, what will I do now?
Since you were unable to support your point, we can conclude that there’s no game that does exactly what Horizon does, MH has combat is vastly different. Lol, you got owned.

Last edited:

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Playing Elden Ring before finishing this was a huge mistake. This game does not excite like Elden Ring so I haven't finished the main story either.

Chukhopops

Since you were unable to support your point, we can conclude that there’s no game that does exactly what Horizon does, MH has combat is vastly different. Lol, you got owned.
I just listed all your points except one but ok I won’t argue with such a lost cause any further. It’s vastly different only in the sense that it is more varied, more accurate and straight out better.

I miss the old SDF members sometimes…

My wife liked watching the first Horizon. Every time we sit down with this game it's an hour of dialogue wheels OR find a femur. She's not that into it.

Man, people's tastes can change quickly (or more likely, the game is garbo this time).

It's like they knew what they needed to make a game, started immediately, and never stepped back and tried it.

Sanepar

Cutscenes are so bad in this game. Plot kind of bad too. I'm playing only because of solid gameplay.

For me a 8/10

sendit

Can't wait to see what next weeks Horizon FW thread will bring. Hopefully it's about the graphics being to detailed. Bad GG

Rockman33

Recently just got to the west. So far I find the game extremely boring, can’t seem to play longer than 30 minutes at a time. I bought the game and really enjoyed the first one so I’m trying to push through.

Pros:
-killing the Dino’s is fun. Love watching the parts fly off them.
-In certain situations it looks visually stunning. Fast moving big Dino battles.

Cons:
-The majority of the time in performance mode I find it looks bad. Extremely distracting hair from alloy, aliasing is atrocious, checkboard rendering makes all the vegetation look like it’s dancing, tons of pop in.
-for a open world do anything type game, the lack of good climbing is really frustrating.
-story so far seems very boring, I find myself skipping cut scenes that aren’t essential.
-maybe this is a me problem but I’ve found my self stuck in parts your not supposed to be stuck at. (Ie not knowing where to climb, or use your hook shot device.
-can’t stand listening to her talk, feels like she never shuts up.
-bending down to collect a million different items feels old and isn’t fun.

Obviously this is just my opinion. I’ve read so many good reviews and generally agree more or less with the bigger consent. But this game in particular could not be further from the majority of reviews in my eyes.

Edgelord79

Gold Member
Same story different game. Same people defending as if it’s a personal attachment if there is any dissent whatsoever.

Game has flaws, it’s not perfect. Personally, game didn’t hold me. Found the game very long and monotonous with a story that didn’t grab me. Amazing graphics though. Glad lots are liking it.

Different folks and all that.

Topher

Gold Member
I just finished the game. Loved it. I'll gather my thoughts in full later after I digest the last 100+ hours of gameplay. But going to say one thing...

I do not get the hate for the ending. That was an awesome conclusion. Led perfectly into the next game while closing the book on the story in Forbidden West.

So what is the problem again?

I just finished the game. Loved it. I'll gather my thoughts in full later after I digest the last 100+ hours of gameplay. But going to say one thing...

I do not get the hate for the ending. That was an awesome conclusion. Led perfectly into the next game while closing the book on the story in Forbidden West.

How's is it compared to zero dawn? Sill trying to get a ps5 so yet to try it😬

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
I just walked into my local cex in the UK and I was shocked to see how many copies of horizon and gran turismo they have. Like loads, and this is a town In the North of England.

I'm thinking I'm gonna pick up gran turismo though as I've got a load of trade in. Just can't bring myself to get Horizon as I know its just not for me but I have that part of me that wants to try every exclusive game.

Think I'll go GT. question is can I enjoy GT with a controller and it's not too much grind or feeling of me missing out due to MTX?

Last edited:

Swift_Star

Banned

The ending… was rushed with a kind of nonsense big review and the main anti-hero breaking character. I accepted it but it wasn’t very good.

SpokkX

Recently just got to the west. So far I find the game extremely boring, can’t seem to play longer than 30 minutes at a time. I bought the game and really enjoyed the first one so I’m trying to push through.

Pros:
-killing the Dino’s is fun. Love watching the parts fly off them.
-In certain situations it looks visually stunning. Fast moving big Dino battles.

Cons:
-The majority of the time in performance mode I find it looks bad. Extremely distracting hair from alloy, aliasing is atrocious, checkboard rendering makes all the vegetation look like it’s dancing, tons of pop in.
-for a open world do anything type game, the lack of good climbing is really frustrating.
-story so far seems very boring, I find myself skipping cut scenes that aren’t essential.
-maybe this is a me problem but I’ve found my self stuck in parts your not supposed to be stuck at. (Ie not knowing where to climb, or use your hook shot device.
-can’t stand listening to her talk, feels like she never shuts up.
-bending down to collect a million different items feels old and isn’t fun.

Obviously this is just my opinion. I’ve read so many good reviews and generally agree more or less with the bigger consent. But this game in particular could not be further from the majority of reviews in my eyes.
After 12 hours I mirror these points almost exactly

Jesus dude you didn't even played the damn thing?? Stay away from any topic about the game if you don't wanna catch some spoiler.
Lol its all good I think I already spoiled most of the new machines which is what I care about the most!

Still got know idea about the main plot though.

Rockman33

After 12 hours I mirror these points almost exactly
Nice to hear someone else with the same opinions. I feel like I’m on crazy island with everyone praising the visuals, saying it’s one of the best looking games of all time. Just doesn’t make sense to me.

"doesnt make sense to me when ppl say it has the best visuals"

Are these people fucking blind? Are they playing the game on a 480p tv? Are they trolling? I need some receipts on the game looking bad because I have receiptts on the opposite. Anyone saying otherwise is entirely full of shit.

yafqkfhnbiq81.png

51941018810_45d822d21b_o.png

51927113880_3f76c18896_o.png

51940481533_e269f43bb1_o.png

Credit for the last 3 screenshots Con-Z-epT Con-Z-epT

GymWolf

Nice to hear someone else with the same opinions. I feel like I’m on crazy island with everyone praising the visuals, saying it’s one of the best looking games of all time. Just doesn’t make sense to me.
I think that you need to visit the photomode topic here or on reeee if you really think otherwise...

Rockman33

I think that you need to visit the photomode topic here or on reeee if you really think otherwise...
Photomode pushes everything to the highest fidelity, not what I’m actually getting in game on performance mode.

My main complaints are in motion, read my actual post…. Distracting hair physics, constant pop in, vegetation is always shimmering due to checkerboard rendering(I think).

GymWolf

Photomode pushes everything to the highest fidelity, not what I’m actually getting in game on performance mode.

My main complaints are in motion, read my actual post…. Distracting hair physics, constant pop in, vegetation is always shimmering due to checkerboard rendering(I think).
Even with all of that there is no surprise in people calling this game one of the best graphically, you are the outsider here not the other way around.

(Not sure if outsider is the right word but you get the gist).

Being surprised that majority of people think that about the game is a big exageration that almost enter bullshit territory dude, the game is fucking gorgeous even with some shimmering and hairs moving like medusa or some minor pop in.

Also many people played on resolution mode where shimmering is non-existent.

Rockman33

Even with all of that there is no surprise in people calling this game one of the best graphically, you are the outsider here not the other way around.

(Not sure if outsider is the right word but you get the gist).

Being surprised that majority of people think that about the game is a big exageration that almost enter bullshit territory dude, the game is fucking gorgeous even with some shimmering and hairs moving like medusa or some minor pop in.

Also many people played on resolution mode where shimmering is non-existent.
Ever since I got the XBX and PS5 I can’t seem to go back to 30FPS. I’ve tried multiple times with this specific game. I’m glad people find it so enjoyable and love the way it looks.

As I said earlier I just find the points I made earlier to be extremely distracting and takes away from the immersion. I would have rather had lower density in vegetation if that meant we would have gotten far better AA.

I currently can’t seem to put down returnal ascension and that game to me looks substantially better. And if I remember correctly it’s running at 1080p internally upscale to 4K.

Your right about fidelity mode though. It seems this game was meant to be played that way and performance mode was a afterthought.

GymWolf

Ever since I got the XBX and PS5 I can’t seem to go back to 30FPS. I’ve tried multiple times with this specific game. I’m glad people find it so enjoyable and love the way it looks.

As I said earlier I just find the points I made earlier to be extremely distracting and takes away from the immersion. I would have rather had lower density in vegetation if that meant we would have gotten far better AA.

I currently can’t seem to put down returnal ascension and that game to me looks substantially better. And if I remember correctly it’s running at 1080p internally upscale to 4K.

Your right about fidelity mode though. It seems this game was meant to be played that way and performance mode was a afterthought.
Oh i played the whole thing in performance mode except during slow explorations or when i expected a big cutscene in the next minutes so i get what you say, but stuff like models for humans and dinobot or the water or textures from close up remain gorgeous even on perf mode.

Rockman33

Oh i played the whole thing in performance mode except during slow explorations or when i expected a big cutscene in the next minutes so i get what you say, but stuff like models for humans and dinobot or the water or textures from close up remain gorgeous even on perf mode.
Completely agree with all that. I’m thinking that the power of the actual PlayStation might be the problem. If it looked like fidelity mode but ran in 60 most of my visual distractions would be alleviated.

However, can we both agree alloys hair is ridiculously distracting in cut scenes?!

GymWolf

Completely agree with all that. I’m thinking that the power of the actual PlayStation might be the problem. If it looked like fidelity mode but ran in 60 most of my visual distractions would be alleviated.

However, can we both agree alloys hair is ridiculously distracting in cut scenes?!
After a while i stopped noticing it tbh.

dorkimoe

The biggest complaint I had with this game is when you have AI friends helping you out against other AI humans it’s impossible to tell them apart unless you scan and tag

GymWolf

The biggest complaint I had with this game is when you have AI friends helping you out against other AI humans it’s impossible to tell them apart unless you scan and tag
If this is your biggest problem, i'm kinda curios to know the small one :lollipop_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:
Top Bottom