• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West will have a 60fps Performance Mode on PS5.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
mZOh8dd.jpg

Who was saying it wouldn’t have a 60fps mode? Doesn’t every PS5 game have that so far? Even PS5 exclusives? I missed all of that - either way the talk of free climbing is actually what is the most exciting part of this to me. That is the one thing I really would’ve liked in the og horizon - sounds like they are addressing everything necessary

Last edited:

Fake

PS4 - native 1080p @ 30

PS4 Pro - 4K checkerboard @ 30

PS5 - 4K checkerboard @ 30 / 60

They used 4K checkerboarding for HZD on Pro, bet they keep using it for HFW.

IDK If I could agree with you here. The new Guilty Gear dropped the base resolution to 900p, so unless there is no improves onto this new game using a more advanced version of guerrila engine I can't see the PS4 running at 1080p.

These sacrifices would be even greater.

IDK If I could agree with you here. The new Guilty Gear dropped the base resolution to 900p, so unless there is no improves onto this new game using a more advanced version of guerrila engine I can't see the PS4 running at 1080p.

These sacrifices would be even greater.
They said they are dropping the lighting on aloy, and the water is completely different/less advanced as well

MOTM

Banned
“Glorified DLC”. What does that even mean? Some of the dumb things people say on the internet. That doesn’t make any sense. Spiderman whether Miles Morales or not is a bigger IP than Horizon so I don’t even know what you’re trying to imply here. It’s a game and a popular one at that. If people feel like it’s too downgraded on the PS4 they will wait on the PS5 version whenever they can get their hands on one.
Absolutely wishful thinking. Nobody is “waiting” on a PS5 to play Miles Morales come on. Everybody I know who has a PS5 is playing FIFA & Warzone, which are basically just the PS4 version.

Pwople aren’t buying Miles Morales on PS4 because they’re waiting for a PS5 ... 😐 It’s selling well on PS5 because there was nothing at launch thats it.

kyliethicc

I wonder what's the ray tracing physics means. Any ideas?
I assume they're tracing rays to help with some calculating for physics simulations? Maybe for foliage collision or for the machines, for when in combat, etc. Idk.

Could just be software based too, I guess. Or hardware accelerated.

Rea

I assume they're tracing rays to help with some calculating for physics simulations? Maybe for foliage collision or for the machines, for when in combat, etc. Idk.

Could just be software based too, I guess. Or hardware accelerated.
Probably he mis-spoke. He's not a technical director afterall, so he's not so familiar with technical terms. My guess is that he meant Raytraced lighting.
Probably.

kyliethicc

Probably he mis-spoke. He's not a technical director afterall, so he's not so familiar with technical terms. My guess is that he meant Raytraced lighting.
Probably.
Nah it's an embargoed planned interview. If it was a mistake they would have edited it out before it went public. Its marketing.

They'e using RT for rendering (like lighting and or reflections), physics, and audio. Makes perfect sense.

Casting rays via software is used by Naughty Dog to have Nathan Drake put his hand on a wall as he walks by in Uncharted.

They ray cast the distance between Nate and the wall to see if its within arms reach, If it is, the animation can be used.

There's lots of ways to use ray tracing for calculations, physics, animation, audio... and of course lighting & shadows etc.

Lysandros

^To answer this, yes a CB 4K seems most likely. This is what Spider-Man did with their Performance Mode, it was still 4K 60fps just not Native.

Good stuff, as expected.

I mentioned this a few days ago but Sony seem to be very good at giving players the option between 30FPS Fidelity and 60FPS Performance mode.
Spiderman uses temporal injection (mostly 1440P+TI in performance mode) not CB.

yeah, but what is the resolution?
Locked 1440p or dynamic 4K. Just look at the Miles Morales performance profiles on PS5 and use that as I guide I'd suggest.

So, I won't be surprised if this has a Performance mode with RT & 60 FPS on PS5; if Insomniac can do it, GG should be able to as well.

Actually, DF found that Spidey on PS5 averaged around 1600p @ 60 Hz (not RT mode).

He said PS4 Pro is average 1500p 30 Hz, and PS5 manages to 2x the frame rate while at higher average resolution.

The 60 + RT mode tho was around 1440p average.

Should expect similar for Forbidden West PS5 version as well, then. Granted Spiderman isn't heavy on foilage and accompanying subtle physics for those, maybe TLOU2 PS5 patch is a better barometer here. What were the resolution/framerate metrics for that one again?

Last edited:
That's good news, but I thought these consoles would be powerful enough that they could run games, especially cross-gen ones, at near 4K and Solid 60FPS without compromises. When a game has a "Performance Mode", all it tells me is that the resolution will be decreased by at least 25% and texture detail will not be as impressive as shown in all the marketing shots and gameplay demos. Next-Gen games should be 60FPS standard, it's 2021 for Christ's sake.

Casting rays via software is used by Naughty Dog to have Nathan Drake put his hand on a wall as he walks by in Uncharted.

They ray cast the distance between Nate and the wall to see if its within arms reach, If it is, the animation can be used.

Never knew RT could be used like that. I always wondered how they did that in the games.

Rea

Never knew RT could be used like that. I always wondered how they did that in the games.
I think spider man ps4 also uses ray casting for one of the gadget. And when you throw a mob from top of the building, he will automatically stick to nearest wall by using ray casting.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
In other words, a 1080p mode

It's always best to assume that it will run at around half of the resolution found in the 30fps mode. If it runs close to 4K, I don't know why it would have to run at 1080p just to achieve 60fps.

Md Ray

In other words, a 1080p mode
Nope.

In general, whatever the resolution PS4 Pro runs at, expect 2x the frame-rate on PS5 at that res.

Pro ran HZD at 4K using CB. They won't drop CB for HFW, res might get downgraded to, say, 1728p-1800p w/ CB in place. This means PS5 should be doing ~1800p CB at 60fps, not 1080p.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

Locked 1440p or dynamic 4K. Just look at the Miles Morales performance profiles on PS5 and use that as I guide I'd suggest.

So, I won't be surprised if this has a Performance mode with RT & 60 FPS on PS5; if Insomniac can do it, GG should be able to as well.

Should expect similar for Forbidden West PS5 version as well, then. Granted Spiderman isn't heavy on foilage and accompanying subtle physics for those, maybe TLOU2 PS5 patch is a better barometer here. What were the resolution/framerate metrics for that one again?
My guess is for Horizon Forbidden West:

PS4 - native 1080p @ 30
PS4 Pro - checkerboard 2160p @ 30
PS5 - checkerboard 2160p @ 30
PS5 - native 1440p @ 60

The Last of Us Part II is just a patched PS4 game. Same res as PS4 Pro, same exact everything, just at locked 60 now on PS5.

God of War is 1080p at an unstable uncapped 60 on PS4 Pro. But on PS5 its 4K CB and locked 60.

So we know PS5 can go from 30 to 60 and increase resolution for PS4 visual games. My guess is Guerrilla keep res a bit lower on PS5 for 60 mode cause its not just the PS4 game being played at 60, its the PS5 30 Hz mode being scaled back as necessary to hit 60. I think the PS5 versions of HFW at both 30 and 60 will have more in common and will look similar, while the PS4 versions will be noticeably less impressive visually.

Fredrik

Awesome! HZD on PC feels like a completely different game because of the higher fps.

I hope they show what it looks like as well, I assume we’ve been looking at a 30fps graphics mode in the latest trailer. What are they scaling back?

Tygeezy

Hopefully it also has gyroscope support. I have no interest in playing a bow game without motion controls.

Lysandros

Actually, DF found that Spidey on PS5 averaged around 1600p @ 60 Hz (not RT mode).

He said PS4 Pro is average 1500p 30 Hz, and PS5 manages to 2x the frame rate while at higher average resolution.

The 60 + RT mode tho was around 1440p average.
Yeah, i was referring to RT/60 FPS mode, that's why i wrote 'mostly 1440P' (because of few drops to 1080P in that mode). 👍

Absolutely wishful thinking. Nobody is “waiting” on a PS5 to play Miles Morales come on. Everybody I know who has a PS5 is playing FIFA & Warzone, which are basically just the PS4 version.

Pwople aren’t buying Miles Morales on PS4 because they’re waiting for a PS5 ... 😐 It’s selling well on PS5 because there was nothing at launch thats it.
But it didnt well much at launch, you like speaking out of your ass? It did a fraction of 1st Spiderman on launch despite being on PS4/PS5. It has been top charts every month, mainly on pro PS5 splits.

Last edited:
To all those people who were whining and seriously thinking a CROSS GEN title would be locked to 30fps on Next Gen.

Animated GIF
So why have a 30fps mode at all? And why demo the 30fps version? More than likely it doesn't look as good and the framerate is not stable. It's a 30fps game and they've targeted a 60fps performance mode.

Top Bottom