• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Forbidden West will have a 60fps Performance Mode on PS5.

60fps shouldn't need to be a bullet point on either Sony or Microsoft's new machines. It should be standard at this point.
Well you can upscale to 4K. You cant upscale to 60FPS. So you cant promise that on a box. There are 4000 titles on PS4, you cant promise 1080p.

Vick

My guess:

Perf mode: 1440p CB to 4k, 60 fps

Quality mode 1440p, 30 fps, more bells and whistles like in Spidey MM
Halo Infinite is going to be 4K and 60FPS on Xbox Series X, with 120FPS targeted in multiplayer.
Gears 5 Hivebusters is 4K most of the time (dynamic res takes it to 1800p sometimes) and 60 fps with no stuttering or anything.
It uses DRS, goes down to 1512p in worst case scenarios according to Eurogamer.
This all so damn sad..

Super happy about this news, looks like i won't have to wait years to play this game at 60fps afterall. My biggest fear was that they designed the game with 30fps in mind only, like the first one was, and that only a specific and separate port would have allowed for more.. couldn't be more glad i was wrong.

It's Guerrilla we are talking about, Perfomance or Quality the game will look stunning regardless. Can't wait!

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Its a fact actually. Graphics have always been the main selling point of new consoles. lmao. yall framerate nerds trying to deny facts now :messenger_loudly_crying:
You replied directly to Don who stated nothing related to selling points or new consoles. Now you're trying to apply some bullshit context that was never there.

Gordon Ramsay GIF

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
You replied directly to Don who stated nothing related to selling points or new consoles. Now you're trying to apply some bullshit context that was never there.

Gordon Ramsay GIF
I brought up selling points because companies use things that actually matter to sell to large audiences. (I.e, graphics)

99% of gamers care more about graphics than goddamn ... framerates :messenger_grinning_squinting: . Its just the loud internet nerds who feel different.

Outlier

Ok it's official. Day 1 buy for me.

Didn't like the cross-gen aspect of this, but the amazing graphics and a 60FPS mode have sold me.

Good job GG.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
60fps shouldn't need to be a bullet point on either Sony or Microsoft's new machines. It should be standard at this point.

I honestly think it is. The only game that was too late to the party is Watch Dogs: Legion that got the 60fps just recently. I think all new games have 60fps mode or more. Having the option of 30fps is still viable imo, people who go 60fps no matter what shouldn't strip that option from the people who prefer the maximum graphics possible.

Rea

If its that hard to spot then whats the point anyway?.
It may be hard to spot for consumers but it can significantly reduce development time because developers don't need to Hand-paint the lighting everywhere, the game engine will handle itself.

vkbest

Well, with the Watch Dogs patch, I think the full catalog of games on PS5 are 60fps or have 60fps mode. The one native game was only 30fps until now was Watch Dogs. And after people get 1 or 2 years playing at 60fps, will be harder to developers releasing games at 30fps

Last edited:

TonyK

They showed the game at 30fps, same as Ratchet, because graphics sell more than framerate. So they have sell to you the game by graphics, but will you buy it because of framerate? Now people imagine playing that gameplay they saw but at 60fps, but reality is they will play a downgraded version of that video they are praising but at 60fps. Just like Miles Morales, Valhalla, etc. At 30fps they look as intended. At 60fps they are PS4 games but smoother.

I'm tired of reading people saying next gen graphics are not so impressive just after saying they play at performance mode. Of course the jump in quality will be minor if we add 30fps more to the jump. Half of the extra power new consoles have is spent in achieve higher resolution and framerate. Resolution can be tricked by upscaling, but how we trick 60fps?

Cross gen and mandatory 60fps modes is like having a PS4 pro called PS5.

With global illumination, it's hard to tell if it's baked or real-time. You can fake GI pretty easily with static lighting, but in an open world such as this with day/night cycles, you need a real time solution, so they could very well be using RT GI.
Plenty games do GI without Raytracing, Raytracing GI is computationally very expensive, it's definitely not using that.

TonyK

Not really. MM on performance mode still looks better than PS4 pro.
That's true, but in my opinion not a generation of difference. When I try PS5 games in performance mode I feel games as some sort of PS4 Pro 2. I had Ps4 pro since day one, so maybe the jump between generations is more noticeable if somebody jumps from base Ps4 to PS5. In that case, probably performance mode looks enough next gen for them.

Dibils2k

Well, that actually isnt what you said.

"sine this game doesnt have RT i fully expect PS4 Pro version at 60fps"

There will also be downgrades on PS4 other than fps.
its missing the BUT "sine this game doesnt have RT i fully expect PS4 Pro version BUT at 60fps"

but i mean i feel like it would be common sense that this game would not run 60fps on PS4 when the 1st game didnt... the fact you made that connection is weird

assurdum

Banned
Halo Infinite is going to be 4K and 60FPS on Xbox Series X, with 120FPS targeted in multiplayer.
Will be full 4k 60 fps as AC Valhalla, right? Anyway are we trying to say series X is capable of 4k native 60 FPS in crossgen titles? Lol sure 🤣

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
isn't it powerful enough to go full 4K and 60fps on a cross gen title?

oooh boy...
Native 4K is a big waste of resources so if it isn't it's fine, the image quality will be great anyway in this game

Last edited:
I'm tired of reading people saying next gen graphics are not so impressive just after saying they play at performance mode. Of course the jump in quality will be minor if we add 30fps more to the jump. Half of the extra power new consoles have is spent in achieve higher resolution and framerate. Resolution can be tricked by upscaling, but how we trick 60fps?
Didn't you hear? These new consoles have the power to do 60fps with no compromises! They should play everything with max graphics at 4K/60 and if they don't it's because they're underpowered and Sony and Microsoft under-delivered! Even though it's not the game that dictates what the max graphics are... it's the devs!

Plenty games do GI without Raytracing, Raytracing GI is computationally very expensive, it's definitely not using that.
Really? Name a game that does real time global illumination without ray tracing.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
While good, it's also another example of this really being an enhanced cross-gen game that isn't REALLY pushing what the PS5 can do.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
its missing the BUT "sine this game doesnt have RT i fully expect PS4 Pro version BUT at 60fps"

but i mean i feel like it would be common sense that this game would not run 60fps on PS4 when the 1st game didnt... the fact you made that connection is weird
Well, it was exactly what you said and I refuted it so I didn't make that connection at all.

I can't guess your meaning when you literally post something in the opposite.

Why are people saying this game doesn't use RT.... is it because you saw some screen space reflections in the water? To be fair, even Spider-Man Remastered and Miles Morales uses SSR on water as well (unless it's a puddle). I'm assuming doing RT reflections on rippling water is too computationally expensive. Even RE:Village used a combination of SSR and RT on moving water.

truth411

I honestly think it is. The only game that was too late to the party is Watch Dogs: Legion that got the 60fps just recently. I think all new games have 60fps mode or more. Having the option of 30fps is still viable imo, people who go 60fps no matter what shouldn't strip that option from the people who prefer the maximum graphics possible.
This ☝🏿

Last edited:
Didn't you hear? These new consoles have the power to do 60fps with no compromises! They should play everything with max graphics at 4K/60 and if they don't it's because they're underpowered and Sony and Microsoft under-delivered! Even though it's not the game that dictates what the max graphics are... it's the devs!

Really? Name a game that does real time global illumination without ray tracing.
Halo Infinite is using GI, RDR2 uses GI on console as well. GI has been around years what you're are referring to is RTGI which adds real-time interactive bounce lighting to areas of your scene not directly lit by a given light source.

Halo Infinite is using GI, RDR2 uses GI on console as well. GI has been around years what you're are referring to is RTGI which adds real-time interactive bounce lighting to areas of your scene not directly lit by a given light source.
I thought bounce lighting was what defined global illumination. I was thinking more along the lines of the new Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition.

Top Bottom