• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Leaked Ending - 4Chan Rumour (Spoilers Ahead) - New Melee Gifs

Why would an ending to a videogame story put you off when the vast majority of games have terrible stories anyway?

Not trying to defend it (everything I have seen of this game screams repetitive open world action game personally) but if you're into the gameplay what does it matter?

jmaine_ph

Can we please have a separate thread for the tutorial video for those that don't want to roam this thread at all

The amount of automation on the melee attacks is pretty extreme. Aloy bounces around like Batman.

It's kinda needed, there's no hard lock on in this game. Plus it only seems good for either a Sneak Attack or taking down smaller enemies like Watchers which makes it odd to think why there are two melee attacks.

jett

D-Member
That's dumb. And how would
wiping either "mankind" or the robots help prop up a sequel?
Sounds fishy.

Why would an ending to a videogame story put you off when the vast majority of games have terrible stories anyway?

Not trying to defend it (everything I have seen of this game screams repetitive open world action game personally) but if you're into the gameplay what does it matter?

This. I stopped caring about videogame stories a long time ago. Luckily everything else looks great in this game so I'm still hyped.

I understand the sentiment. Even so, jumping into a game knowing what's going to happen just devalues everything, your experience and the effort the developer had.

I mean, let's say you read the spoiler. You think it's actually good or possibly interesting. Wouldn't be preferable to find out organically, by actually playing the game, than to read some leak?

The presentation, cutscenes, dialogues and so on, lose a lot of impact, even if well executed.

The same thing goes if you found it boring and uninspiring.

That is actually the opposite of how stories tend to work.

People generally enjoy stories MORE when they know what happens, because it allows them to pay attention to what is happening rather than trying to predict what will happen next.

If the opposite were true, and enjoyment decreased with subsequent experience, people wouldn't constantly rewatch movies or replay games.

For almost anyone, your enjoyment of a thing grows over time as you come to appreciate it more and more. The notion that a virgin experience is the best, simply isn't supported by the evidence.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
But killzone bla bla bla
Haters gonna hate.
I just hope this game reviews well
That will make even funnier

Your not making the critics any less likely to post with that attitude.

The game looks good, you don't need to be overly defensive about an out of context ending.

mcz117chief

lol, where have I seen a twist like this before I wonder... I nierly didn't expect that but I kind of did

That's dumb. And how would
wiping either "mankind" or the robots help prop up a sequel?
Sounds fishy.

Horizon: Zero Automata

Sylas

Sounds
sorta like NieR but less impactful because of the dumb decision. Why the hell do games not write a single, decisive ending. None of the choices in recent memory have ever proven to be something that actually questions your morals.

Because a dissatisfying ending can potentially sap the desire to replay the game. There's a case for games having bad stories, but I think poor endings are awful in any piece of media for trying to enjoy it again.

Boke1879

But killzone bla bla bla
Haters gonna hate.
I just hope this game reviews well
That will make even funnier

I've said since day one I think it will review well. Mostly because from everything we've heard the game plays really well. The dinobots and being able to mount them and the fact this is open world is a huge selling point.

This forum is reading a supposed leaked ending and judging everything based on that. People on here have a tendency to do that a lot. Not that it's an excuse but most open world games don't have the best stories. Even the highest selling ones. GTAV's story is forgettable. Fallout 4 didn't have a good one. Yet it didn't stop people from buying those games and continually playing them.

Oh and by the way this ending doesn't even sound bad so I have no idea what people expected or wanted.

Varg

Banned
Will be disappointed if that really is the ending but on a positive note the animations in he gifs look nice

FATALITY

Banned
Your not making the critics any less likely to post with that style.

The game looks good, you don't need to be overly defensive about an out of context ending.

I don't care about the ending at all.
It's better than look for ciri, get some stupid crystal, save princess, save the world from some powerful nuclear weapon.
My problem is with the same people always lurking in the horizon thread just to shit the game for no reason.

Sylas

Because a dissatisfying ending can potentially sap the desire to replay the game. There's a case for games having bad stories, but I think poor endings are awful in any piece of media for trying to enjoy it again.
Not just this but a poor ending can also make the entire journey throughout the game seem pointless. Not everyon is here for an arcade-like experience and a narrative that's compelling can be utterly ruined by not having a worthwhile payoff.

Not just this but a poor ending can also make the entire journey throughout the game seem pointless. Not everyon is here for an arcade-like experience and a narrative that's compelling can be utterly ruined by not having a worthwhile payoff.

Even Arcade Like games have to end well I feel. I much prefer replaying Ikaruga to Radiant Silvergun because the Ending in the latter is just Nihilistic and makes everything you've done pointless compared to the former's reincarnation of the protagonist and saving of the world.

Boke1879

I mean, it's pretty cliche.

And? This is nothing new for this medium? And cliche doesn't always equal bad either. The story here is just going to be a way to facilitate gameplay which many people have liked. I never expected and amazing story because open world games just straight up don't have the best stories.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I don't care about the ending at all.
It's better than look for ciri, get some stupid crystal, save princess, save the world from some powerful nuclear weapon.
My problem is with the same people always lurking in the horizon thread just to shit the game for no reason.

and you post in every Horizon thread defending the game religously?

We're discussing a leaked ending and not if the game will be good or not so I don't see what the problem is here or how we're all "haters".

The ending sounds very generic and lots of people would have guessed with very little story footage how the games story would end up if this leak is legit, and that's what most people discuss in here. They are not saying Horizon will be shit and it will be a bad game.

EDIT: Also how do you know the story is going to be better than witcher 3's story before Horizon has even released? lol

ironcreed

Banned
And? This is nothing new for this medium? And cliche doesn't always equal bad either. The story here is just going to be a way to facilitate gameplay which many people have liked. I never expected and amazing story because open world games just straight up don't have the best stories.

This is true. I fully expect to enjoy the game in general once I get around to playing it.

Assuming it's true, I saw that twist a mile off, how incredibly disappointing. Is it just me who is entirely exhausted by this sort of shit?

However I personally was never interested in the story behind this world. I'm actually dreading cyberpunk and I fear they are just going to hit every trope in sci-fi just like every other fucking game out there at the moment.

Wake me up when people start producing Tarkovsky levels of sci-fi in games. Until then can people stop trying and just go back to killzone/halo esque generic sci-fi narratives.

Harmen

Did not read it but apparently it is another one of those unfinished, open endings? Oh, for fucks sake, why can't people write a self contained story with sequel potential for the life of them? Really disappointed in that, I hope it is not as blatantly open as some recent games. Well, the pool of games is very large next year so my money goes to games who stick the landing if true. It doesn't even need to be a good/great ending, but just end something (with a healthy amount of sequel potential if they want).

(yes, I am salty about this)

vivekTO

Synopsis spoil you the ending? That's a new one for me.

The point being how is it played out in the end , and if the player will be able to connect to the story itself and how will the execution of it, take place. Although you may be right , Synopsis is a wrong term to use in this context.

mcz117chief

It's a pretty nice twist though, I don't understand people who say it is a stupid or bad ending. It can be explained throughout the game in a very good way to make it a fine ending. I wonder what Jesus would have to say about it. I guess now I will have to play it since these kind of twists make for some amazing theological discussions with my fellow colleagues at the university.

"They don't really explain the corruption"

So the plot is utterly superfluous then. You can't have something like that and NOT explain it at least a little bit. Come on, that's lazy sequel bait.

Top Bottom