• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn leaving PS+ May 21st (speculation a remake announcement is coming)

diffusionx

Gold Member
I still believe this is a just an enhanced remaster and yeah, date checks out. This is mostly to have something around the TV series' release, weird how people don't realize that. It's cheap and a new Horizon release in case the show gets popular,
Do they even need to do this though? Bethesda just farted out a half-assed patch for Fallout 4 and it became the #1 download.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
When people say "remake", it's probably going to be like TLoU Part 1. The same game converted to a new engine, I doubt they re-record or change any of the game content / script.

Do they even need to do this though? Bethesda just farted out a half-assed patch for Fallout 4 and it became the #1 download.

If this is real, no way Sony just puts this out as a patch, they want people to pay $70 for it.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
I don't know, but Sony definitely sees this as worth trying after Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection and The Last of Us Part I. I do not get why anyone would lose sleep at night over this, I mean, I can understand being mad with Naughty Dog, but Guerrilla shipped a big game only 2 years ago. This thing sure as hell isn't impacting development on their next new projects.
If this is real, no way Sony just puts this out as a patch, they want people to pay $70 for it.
It depends on what it actually is, I do remember a leaked SIE document from 2022 referring to it as a remaster, rather than remake. Everyone was mad at TLOUP1 back then, so insiders probably took that chance for some clout.
People here were 100% certain that TLOU2 Remastered was going to be $70 with no upgrade options.

saintjules

What's the point in a remake of this?

Wild guess but probably to aid in showcasing the power of the PS5 Pro.

A game this huge remade from the ground up to take full advantage of the Pro hardware could be a good selling point (if done right). And I also think doing comparisons with the base model with the Pro could further sell it. Maybe not with this game but for others definitely.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Thank god for whoever at Sony is pushing for deals with external studios like Arrowhead, Shift Up
Eh, I wouldn't call it "pushing", that is literally the job of all the XDEV studios. And it's not like it's anything new, either.

Hohenheim

I like this game, but of all of the games currently available on modern platforms, this is definitly one of the last ones I want to see anyone spending time and money to improve. The versions available (PS4/5 and PC) is more than fine as it is.

EDMIX

Both are an utter waste of resources for a ps4 game. Especially a shit game series like Horizon.

Nahhh

Number 1. The rumor literally states shit that more so supports the idea of this being a remaster, not a remake.

Number 2. The resources to put out such a remaster are nothing compared to an actual 3rd game that has likely been in development for years by the main team, its likely just a bunch of new hires working on it.

Number 3. Horizon Zero Dawn moved 20 million units, by no fucking means is that a "shit game series"

It would be weird if they didn't remaster it to continue to grow the install base, as that is literally what Sony has done with their top IP

The Last Of Us 1 got a remaster from PS3 to PS4
The Last Of Us 2 got a remaster from PS4 to PS5
Ghost Of Tsushima got a remaster from PS4 to PS5
Jak and Daxter got a remaster from PS2 to PS3, to PS3 to PS4
Ratchet got a remaster collection from PS2 to PS3, to PS3 to PS4

Sir...you are not fucking talking about some rare, brand new idea regarding this publisher in terms of how they treat top selling IP.

Another pointless remake and a game no one wants that will ultimately sell a lot
^ lol huh? This makes zero fucking sense lol

but ok....

Its selling a lot to no one?

Not every devs are money hungry who only makes games just to make money.

Ok, but Stellar Blade still cost money though lol To move sales for a sequel, I'm sure Sony will have new hires on PS6 remaster that game too to have them have more fucking money to fund Stellar Blade 2 bud.

How on Earth would it help them to not have a remaster on PS6 when its not even the main team doing the remaster, they are getting MORE MONEY on top of growing their team while making the sequel in house.

So...it cost money to make games, this idea of trying to separate this concept to force this moral idea makes zero fucking sense. agian...it cost money to make games and I'm not sure how they benefit by not having new hires work on a remaster, not making more money and not growing their install base.

King Dazzar

It'll be a remaster I'd have thought. The remake wont be for another year or two.
kN4EttZ.gif

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Ok, but Stellar Blade still cost money though lol To move sales for a sequel, I'm sure Sony will have new hires on PS6 remaster that game too to have them have more fucking money to fund Stellar Blade 2 bud.

How on Earth would it help them to not have a remaster on PS6 when its not even the main team doing the remaster, they are getting MORE MONEY on top of growing their team while making the sequel in house.

So...it cost money to make games, this idea of trying to separate this concept to force this moral idea makes zero fucking sense. agian...it cost money to make games and I'm not sure how they benefit by not having new hires work on a remaster, not making more money and not growing their install base.
Stellar Blade has crazy amount of costumes.....

In ANY other games they would have been DLC or lootboxes and Shift Up could have easily done that to make more money but instead ALL them can be unlock with in the game itself.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Stellar Blade has crazy amount of costumes.....

In ANY other games they would have been DLC or lootboxes and Shift Up could have easily done that to make more money but instead ALL them can be unlock with in the game itself.

I'm sure it can and I don't disagree....but that doesn't mean you won't see some remaster to fund the sequel, bring more people to the IP and to train new hires.....

So...sir, making money 1 time does not mean they will decline making more money lol

Thats like saying cause they can super size a Big Mac that you won't see them continue to sell it and be like "Mickey D's could have easily done that to make more money, but instead you can SUPER SIZE, add MORE TOPPINGS" lol

Stop Dan...

They goal is to make money and continue to make it, making a lot at once ,does not mean they will get "Full" and just decline all future methods to make money and grow the install base along with grow their team and I've heard this idea before and it has no real bases in business, its this idea that they've made "enough" or they make money this way or that way....ok, annnnnnd they can make more on top of that remaster

Dan - "oh but they have different editions of the game that make them money"

annnnnnd they can make more on top of that remaster

Dan - "but they are the top selling game at the moment"

annnnnnd they can make more on top of that remaster

So this idea of "they could" does not mean they will ignore money from a remaster and leave money on the table to make you feel better or some shit lol I don't even know how that helps Shift Up doing this fake ass virtue signaling like "we are making less money cause we be nice" lol

I mean the Resident Evil series has a ton of costumes too and you still see them remastered as a normal business practice cause they are still a damn business Dan...making games is not cheap.

Topher

Gold Member
The PC version is the remake on PS5.

Sony remake Means it's the same game running on horizon forbidden west engine. And increase her fat face with 1 polygon and call it a remake 70$

Horizon Forbidden West and Horizon Zero Dawn both use the same engine.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
perhaps its just me, but as a PS owner i burned out with this IP? am i using the right word? It always plays like a polished Ubisoft game, nothing special of it.
I think herman way too obsessed with this IP.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Horizon Forbidden West and Horizon Zero Dawn both use the same engine.

Right. but usually the engine evolves / gets updated with every new game.. I am expecting ( if there is a remake ), it will be based on the newest version of that engine.

kinda same as unreal engine incremental updates.

again I am just talking from my ass and they could be on version 1.00 since the PS4 game.. just figured its kinda common sense they update the engine for more efficient one.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Right. but usually the engine evolves / gets updated with every new game.. I am expecting ( if there is a remake ), it will be based on the newest version of that engine.

kinda same as unreal engine incremental updates.

again I am just talking from my ass and they could be on version 1.00 since the PS4 game.. just figured its kinda common sense they update the engine for more efficient one.

Yeah.....I get you. All good

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
perhaps its just me, but as a PS owner i burned out with this IP? am i using the right word? It always plays like a polished Ubisoft game, nothing special of it.
I think herman way too obsessed with this IP.

It was made under his leadership at Guerilla, it's his baby.

Fbh

You probably would've gotten all 3 of those regardless. The main thing the exclusivity deals do is bolster the hardware sales.

For Rebirth I agree. And I generally think timed exclusives suck.

But I'll at least give some credit to Sony for Helldivers 2 and Stellar Blade since they actually published them and invested significant resources into them.
For example there was this interview where Shift Up was talking about how Stellar Blade had a much smaller scope before Sony approached them and offered them an agreement which included localization support, marketing, full QA support and tools sharing from other Sony studios. They seem to have really helped Shift Up in taking the scope of their game to their next level, it's not like they went to a big dev like Square and just told me "I'll give you money so you don't put your next game on Xbox or PC for a while".

duuumb. I’d rather they do something with killzone. Just because 4 was mid doesnt mean 2 and 3 werent fun.

Yup.
I'd rather get an enhanced port of some cool games which are stuck on ps3, like Killzone and Resistance over another fucking remake or remaster of a game that's already playable at 60fps and decent resolutions on Ps5

Last edited:

rkofan87

Gold Member
For Rebirth I agree. And I generally think timed exclusives suck.

But I'll at least give some credit to Sony for Helldivers 2 and Stellar Blade since they actually published them and invested significant resources into them.
For example there was this interview where Shift Up was talking about how Stellar Blade had a much smaller scope before Sony approached them and offered them an agreement which included localization support, marketing, full QA support and tools sharing from other Sony studios. They seem to have really helped Shift Up in taking the scope of their game to their next level, it's not like they went to a big dev like Square and just told me "I'll give you money so you don't put your next game on Xbox or PC for a while".

Yup.
I'd rather get an enhanced port of some cool games which are stuck on ps3, like Killzone and Resistance over another fucking remake or remaster of a game that's already playable at 60fps and decent resolutions on Ps5
me as well but i am not bitchin about this like some gaffers and youtubers are.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Nahhh

Number 1. The rumor literally states shit that more so supports the idea of this being a remaster, not a remake.

Number 2. The resources to put out such a remaster are nothing compared to an actual 3rd game that has likely been in development for years by the main team, its likely just a bunch of new hires working on it.

Number 3. Horizon Zero Dawn moved 20 million units, by no fucking means is that a "shit game series"

It would be weird if they didn't remaster it to continue to grow the install base, as that is literally what Sony has done with their top IP

The Last Of Us 1 got a remaster from PS3 to PS4
The Last Of Us 2 got a remaster from PS4 to PS5
Ghost Of Tsushima got a remaster from PS4 to PS5
Jak and Daxter got a remaster from PS2 to PS3, to PS3 to PS4
Ratchet got a remaster collection from PS2 to PS3, to PS3 to PS4

Sir...you are not fucking talking about some rare, brand new idea regarding this publisher in terms of how they treat top selling IP.

^ lol huh? This makes zero fucking sense lol

but ok....

Its selling a lot to no one?

Millions buy Madden. Lots of fools out there that like to freely part with their money.

DeepSpace5D

I really enjoyed both Zero Dawn and Forbidden West, to the point of getting the platinum in each as well as completing Frozen Wilds and Burning Shores.

I would not mind adding an updated Zero Dawn to my library if the visuals are overhauled. But it’s not something I would pay $70 for. Make it a $10 upgrade for existing owners and it will be a no brainer. Otherwise I have no problem waiting for a heavy discount. I can’t even keep up with the PS5 releases this year.

Jinzo Prime

In 2025 will we get the remake of God of War (2018)?

We will get remakes of every Sony game that is getting a tv show. God of War and Horizon are next in line for shows so it's logical to think these are next up for remakes.

Twisted Metal was reportedly supposed to have a new game coinciding with its show, but it may have been delayed or canceled.

I think this strategy is smarter than what Microsoft did with Halo and Fallout, which was practically nothing. If idiots want to give you thier money then you take it.

OuterLimits

Thank god for whoever at Sony is pushing for deals with external studios like Arrowhead, Shift Up and Square.

Because the only thing we are seemingly getting from their internal studios are unnecessary remakes and samey sequels designed for "modern audiences"

Yeah, it is rather depressing. I really miss the PS1/PS2/PS3 era Sony. The first party output was fantastic and included a wide variety of genres.

EDMIX

Millions buy Madden. Lots of fools out there that like to freely part with their money.
? And?

If you fucking understand that, I'm not sure why you are then questioning it being a waste of resources

Which is it? A waste or "derrrrr fools out der dat like to part wit da money" lol

I don't go on feelings bud, I go on actual facts. A game moving 20 million sounds like a solid reason to remaster as a install base exist that likes it and with a tv show coming, it makes sense to grow that install base with new consumers.

Feelings on if anyone is a um a"fool" regarding liking the shit or not has nothing to fucking do with how I do business. I literally own multiple rental properties that I would not live in myself, in areas I would not live in myself, but I make money based on factually what fucking makes money, not feelings, not personal opinions or anything even remotely like that.

So my assessment of this whole thing is completely separate from my opinion on the game itself or the people who buy the game, its irrelevant. Does someone want it? Will they pay money? Do they have an install base?

OuterLimits OuterLimits lolz, the fuck you talking about? They literally did remasters and collections then too lol That LITERALLY started during those times lol

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Every gamer lives two lives. The first, when he thinks a developers only purpose is to cater to his personal tastes. The second, when he realizes a developers sole purpose is to make money.

Cross over my friend.
Then there's the third ascended life, the one where you realize that for a developer to make money they must cater to our interests.

And that if they don't, someone else will.

sachos

What if this was built on the latest version of Decima engine with ray traced GI, reflections and shadows like Avatar with virtualized geometry like nanite.
You know what, i was about to shit on the Remake but this gives me hope. PS5 Pro launch title? Anyways, SHITTY move to delist a 1st Party game from the service Sony, f that.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Most pointless remake.
We don't know about the price yet, but the first game absolutely needs way better dialogue system and animations from Forbidden West. Other visual upgrades could be nice too.
As to how much it should cost or should it cost anything is TBD for now, cuz we haven't even seen what they've done with the game.

Something tells me that it'll be exclusive to PS5 and next-gen PS forever and won't be coming to PC at all, but we shall see.

Last edited:

Toons

I still have never played this and only heard good things.

Wondering if I should wait for the remake or just get it on ps4(which I'm still using, don't have a ps5 yet)

Im currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn and im still impressed with the visuals and sounds in the game.

If it is only a visual remake then i dont see point to be honest.

Perrott

Gold Member
What's the point in a remake of this?
To be a launch title and a technical showcase for the PS5 Pro, as well as to have a brand-new, graphically up-to-date version of Zero Dawn sellable at full price for when the Horizon Netflix series comes out.

Last edited:

EDMIX

What the fuck happened to Sony first party?

I mean, this is business as usual for Sony, fuck you been? lol

Jak and Daxter gets remastered on PS3 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
Sly gets remastered on PS3 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
Killzone 1 gets remastered on PS3 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
Uncharted gets remastered on PS4 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
The Last Of Us gets remastered on PS4 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
Gravity Rush gest remastered on PS4 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
The Last Of Us 2 gets remastered on PS5 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
Spiderman gets remastered on PS5 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"
Ghost Of Tsushima gets remastered on PS5 "ZOMG wtf happened to Sony"

like, zomg, I can't believe they want to grow install bases, employ new hires and make more money, WTF SONY!!!

pikachu-shocked-face-stunned.gif

T0minator

I could this being PS5s plan this generation

The Last of Us Part 1 with the show

Horizon ZD remake with the show

God of War 1 Remake with the show

Top Bottom