• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the game that made me use my Wii U and PS3 trade-in credits on a PS4 Pro instead of waiting for the Switch. Sounds like a good call at this point. I couldn't imagine not being able to play this game on the 28th. Also pleased I got that 4K TV last year.

Smart move. Get a Switch once there are more games available.

]My work place is so hyped for this game, the boss has even marked on the calendar when the game comes out, so as to know if anyone calls in "sick" that's the reason. [/B]I put in my time off request months in advance (before the hype came to work), so even though they all know why, no can stop me, haha.

LOL, sounds like my work, most people here huge gamers, I work in IT.

Lady Gaia

60 pages in under eight hours? Starting in the wee hours for many of you? You lot are my kind of mad! I've been eagerly anticipating this title since the first concept art leak and have had it preordered digitally for months now. The wait for another eight days is going to be painful, but at least I have Nioh to keep me company.

The overall tone of the reviews sounds magical, even if it didn't catch absolutely everyone's imagination. Upper 80s seemed like a reasonable goal for the first game in what could be a promising series. I hope Geurilla has plenty of ideas and are keen to dive in, because it seems unlikely this will be one-and-done.

Hang in there, folks!

Congrats to GG. A resounding success that could have turned out really bad given their inexperience with the genre but all the right elements came together.

-6+ years of work on the game
-Hiring of external devs with experience in the areas they were lacking in
-Inspiration from a myriad of great games
-Sony giving them all the time in the world and not rushing them

Yeah.

Horizon: Zero Dawn
Horizon is the name, Zero Dawn is the subtitle

Like MGS3: Snake Eater or Uncharted: Drakes Fortune

It didnt come off that way, as there is no colon after "Horizon"

Im sure its just Horizon and we'll get used to it like any other title. I just dislike "Zero Dawn" as it comes off as merging the nature aspect with some overly typical techy title

Honestly, name me one game where the official art includes the implied colon. (Okay, Nier: Automata is an exception. As are some Kingdom Hearts games. But Japanese titles are weird.)

latest

snakeeater.jpg
Horizon: Zero Dawn is totally valid. As is Mass Effect: Andromeda. And Dragon Age: Inquisition. And Killzone: Shadowfall. And Infamous: Second Son.

Even though they're stylized without it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Glad this turned out so well. Can't wait for next week!

Wow fantastic scores, I love a good crow serving. And 30 hours too, I'm going to have to pre-order this.

This generation is really shaping up.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Thing: Other Thing

Coming to Numbered Iteration of Thing this Season, Year Number

"Adjective" -- Paidmouthpiece.com

You will know when he does because it will get its own thread...
lol
He said on one of his streams that he'd review it. Late though, since Sony doesn't seem to give him advanced review copies.
that's fine. his review of yakuza 0 and tlour were pretty spot on.
He hasn't said anything about it on Twitter, so probably not, probably doing Zelda and Mass Effect for March instead.
the guy above said that in a stream he said he would

Alo0oy

Banned
Is there postgame freeroam?

There is afaik, but it's going to get old real quick. Going through the game again with good gear and a full skill tree on very hard is far more appealing than running around aimlessly unless the game has proper and lengthy post-game content.

Honestly, name me one game where the official art includes the implied colon. (Okay, Nier: Automata is an exception. As are some Kingdom Hearts games. But Japanese titles are weird.)

I always thought that the mere fact that they're not on the same line and they're on a smaller text should automatically imply a subtitle.

Skeeter49

He hasn't said anything about it on Twitter, so probably not, probably doing Zelda and Mass Effect for March instead.
ME would probably be an April released review, especially if he doesn't get an RC.

When he was trying to figure out reviews for February, he saw his chat was most interested in Horizon and For Honor, so he said they'd be the 2 he'd focus on.

Any of the reviews have a detailed breakdown of gameplay time?

Like how many hours is the main quest, side quests, total, etc?

Before our review, Guerrilla quoted an average playthrough, with sporadic side content, at 30+ hours.

That was true for me. I finished at 32 hours, doing a lot of side content until the story's midway point, then blitzing the story.

All told, it feels like there's about 60 hours of total content.

here it is ladies and gentleman.

The next big Sony Franchise

Now Horizon is allowed into the VIP Area to hang out with GOW, Uncharted, TLOU and Gran Turismo. Welcome to the new member

bombshell

Horizon: Zero Dawn is totally valid. As is Mass Effect: Andromeda. And Dragon Age: Inquisition. And Killzone: Shadowfall. And Infamous: Second Son.

Even though they're stylized without it.

So to end this title debate: What does it say on the game case (the side or whatever it's called)? Lamp or any other of the early owners?

That should tell us the official title in plain text.

Alo0oy

Banned
Before our review, Guerrilla quoted an average playthrough, with sporadic side content, at 30+ hours.

That was true for me. I finished at 32 hours, doing a lot of side content until the story's midway point, then blitzing the story.

All told, it feels like there's about 60 hours of total content.

How are the side quests? Are there fun non-combat weird quests? (Without spoiling anything).

Torgo

There is afaik, but it's going to get old real quick. Going through the game again with good gear and a full skill tree on very hard is far more appealing than running around aimlessly unless the game has proper and lengthy post-game content.

I disagree. I had to purposely stop doing side-missions etc so that I could get through the story. The plan is to hit all of that content now, and there's a good variety of side content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom