• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn | Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocket786

Well the last game I pre-ordered and bought on release date was Uncharted 4 last year, and Bloodborne before that. I was going to get Horizon eventually anyways, but just pre-ordered today.

Don't know why I was thinking of delaying. I had bought a PS4 Pro earlier this month and LG's 4k OLED last year. This game is going to melt my eyes off. Can't wait!

here it is ladies and gentleman.

The next big Sony Franchise

Now Horizon is allowed into the VIP Area to hang out with GOW, Uncharted, TLOU and Gran Turismo. Welcome to the new member
And with potential for so much more, I can't wait to see who's next.

Days Gone
Spider-Man
Detroit
Sucker Punch IP
Death Stranding

Who will break in and rival TLOU2 for best PS4 IP this gen??! Eagerly anticipating who comes out on top. Sort of, I guess, even if GT is great again it really has no bearing on some other genres since racing genre is really its own separate thing. Jumping the gun a bit though, Horizon still has to sell well first and foremost.

samred

So I was looking at the screenshots from Ars Technica and one had this caption:
Sold.

Hello from the article's author!

Lemme add to that caption, for context: There ARE some giant cliffs that cannot be scaled, but most can. The issue, as I talked about in the review's main text, is that Aloy isn't a wall-scaler in the same way that Assassin's Creed's various characters are. Sometimes, you'll see colored blocks that you can jump to and auto-climb. Other times, you'll have to just awkwardly hop from one rocky bit to the next to get to the top, but it's surprising how often the latter works, and this lets you get to some beautiful (and sometimes seemingly accidental) view points.

Also: I only snapped images rendered in real time, confirmed by Aloy's outfit being the one I chose in each sequence. No photo mode trickery, as well.

Alo0oy

Banned
I disagree. I had to purposely stop doing side-missions etc so that I could get through the story. The plan is to hit all of that content now, and there's a good variety of side content.

Sure, but what about after 100%ing the game? It would be nice if you could start over on a higher difficulty with all your gear and skills.

Floody

Wait. Angry joe is reviewing Zelda?

Why? I'll never seen a Nintendo review from him.

He said he'll sue Nintendo if they flag it, so I assume so.

ME would probably be an April released review, especially if he doesn't get an RC.

When he was trying to figure out reviews for February, he saw his chat was most interested in Horizon and For Honor, so he said they'd be the 2 he'd focus on.

Good point.

How are the side quests? Are there fun non-combat weird quests? (Without spoiling anything).

Some of the side content is really unique and interesting. There are "Hunting Trials" that test your gameplay skill with tough challenges; i.e. Rappel down and destroy the underbelly canister of 3 Ravagers in 90 seconds. They have bronze, silver, gold medals with tiered XP rewards. Some other content gives a break from combat with really cool atmosphere and some mild platforming / puzzle-solving.

By and large, though, the side content is battle-based, with some nice exceptions.

This is definitely true. I've died quite a few times by biting off more than I could chew. Very challenging fights in this game.

The worst that can happen is you are already fighting a powerful enemy and the fight moves (because the enemy pushes you to a place or you follow it) and more enemies are alerted and then you really have to move your ass away from the fight or you will die.

Also it takes a lot of time to learn the best strategies per enemy and what weapons to use.
Love the sound of this and that portion of the Telegraph review.

Is there different preorder bonus from different places? I was thinking of going in and preordering it from my local Gamestop which is shutting down :(

Has anyone heard anything about DLC plans or a Season Pass yet? This is one game I could see myself happily paying for more content down the road, but I haven't heard a peep about any.

Big congrats to Guerilla Games for the fantastic reviews. I admit to having had my doubts about Horizon but I'm happy to be proved wrong. I'm really looking forward to playing it.

samred

Also, I added a spoiler-tagged bit about plot, because one of Ars Technica's readers asked why some sites are saying different things about the game's story. I will offer it here, as well, also in spoiler tags. Not necessarily a major spoiler, but certainly something that I enjoyed discovering organically:

Open-world games tend to split plot into "main" content, where plot unfolds in primary missions and major cut scenes, and "side" content, where you find details in notes strewn around the game's nooks/crannies. Horizon is particularly cool because it has TWO "main" plot threads, which each get their own side content, and then there is even more discoverable content that is pure flavor. Pages upon pages of text exist solely for their own benefit, to round out the game world. It all reminds me of a supercharged version of Lost Odyssey's "alternate lives" story bits. The sheer amount is matched by quality, along with a surprising diversity in narrative voice, with so many perspectives executed upon in fine fashion.

Has anyone heard anything about DLC plans or a Season Pass yet? This is one game I could see myself happily paying for more content down the road, but I haven't heard a peep about any.

They haven't said anything about any post-launch content. That could change in the future, but it seems like they've been specifically pushing toward getting the main game out the door first.

The God

And with potential for so much more, I can't wait to see who's next.

Days Gone
Spider-Man
Detroit
Sucker Punch IP
Death Stranding

Who will break in and rival TLOU2 for best PS4 IP this gen??! Eagerly anticipating who comes out on top. Sort of, I guess, even if GT is great again it really has no bearing on some other genres since racing genre is really its own separate thing. Jumping the gun a bit though, Horizon still has to sell well first and foremost.

Spider-Man will be game of the generation.

cakely

Wow, incredible scores.

I don't have the time to play this game on day one (The Backlog is Too Damn High) but I will get to it this year,.

The PS4 is starting to feel like the PS2 in terms of sheer exclusive content.

TsuWave

that us gamer score hurt its overall score badly, person who reviewed it called it their first "big" game review too.

Guerrilla must be very happy still, probably already has someone in a dark basement drafting a sequel or something lol. Can't wait to get my hands on this game.

I still don't. Game just doesn't look interesting to me, but different strokes for different folks. I'll be hyped for things others won't be.

People have different opinions, not sure why that's shocking to you. Laughable that you remembered the posts from that long ago too.

It never looked that interesting to me either. I've been critical of its Ubisoft-y aspects in the past. The difference is, I didn't express my opinions in a community thread that has nothing to do with the game.

Also, three weeks ago isn't a very long period of time.

Also, I added a spoiler-tagged bit about plot, because one of Ars Technica's readers asked why some sites are saying different things about the game's story. I will offer it here, as well, also in spoiler tags. Not necessarily a major spoiler, but certainly something that I enjoyed discovering organically:

Open-world games tend to split plot into "main" content, where plot unfolds in primary missions and major cut scenes, and "side" content, where you find details in notes strewn around the game's nooks/crannies. Horizon is particularly cool because it has TWO "main" plot threads, which each get their own side content, and then there is even more discoverable content that is pure flavor. Pages upon pages of text exist solely for their own benefit, to round out the game world. It all reminds me of a supercharged version of Lost Odyssey's "alternate lives" story bits. The sheer amount is matched by quality, along with a surprising diversity in narrative voice, with so many perspectives executed upon in fine fashion.
Well said...I can’t get over how much effort went into the story. Really really looking forward to it.

I’m certainly a gameplay guy, but when a story is impactful, the lasting impression is so incredible and satisfying. Gameplay still comes first, but I’m slowly turning into a 55/45 guy with gameplay only being slightly more important. Now that my time is limited, I really don’t have the time to play through every single game anymore, so I like to have the best of both worlds.

Lifeline

I remember GG talking about how they spent so much time on this game, but the engine they made makes it very easy to create missions and stuff. So the sequel shouldn't take nearly as long.

I except Horizon: Second Dawn to be out by 2019, probably joins Death Stranding and TLoU2 as PS4 swan songs.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
This review is really good, he expands on aspects of the story and gives concrete examples of the gameplay that has me really intrigued about the game. Maybe useful for those people who still want to know more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jDv2eOo7Og

Some of those comments ... LOL

its a shame tho this wont be on pc. ppl need to stop supporting the anti consumer cancer that is console gaming

Except Sony didn't create it; they just paid the developers a bunch of money so it is only on PS4.

So upset I won't be able to pick this up at launch. Reviews sound amazing. Every video they ever showed on the game looked fantastic, so I'm not too surprised.

If they ever go back to Killzone, I'd love for them to change direction. I'd love an open world set in the Killzone universe.

Alo0oy

Banned
Some of the side content is really unique and interesting. There are "Hunting Trials" that test your gameplay skill with tough challenges; i.e. Rappel down and destroy the underbelly canister of 3 Ravagers in 90 seconds. They have bronze, silver, gold medals with tiered XP rewards. Some other content gives a break from combat with really cool atmosphere and some mild platforming / puzzle-solving.

By and large, though, the side content is battle-based, with some nice exceptions.

I'm talking about weird side quests like ME1 Citadel quests or the Gravity Rush 2 Battle Nurse questline. Anything like that?

Skeeter49

only 2 reviews a month?? wtf
A week to play the game, a week to make the review. Settings these guidelines is better than what he's been doing, saying he'll review a game, not finishing it, and a month goes by without a review. Hopefully he sticks to the schedule as best he can.

If he stuck to his old way, there most likely wouldn't have been a Yakuza Zero review.

Boke1879

I truly think 2017 will be a year to truly remember as far as games go. Gotta see how Automata, Mass effect and Persona 5 rates.

Would be a strong start to the year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom