• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn Spoiler-free Impressions (for real this time)

InsignificantYawningBlacknorwegianelkhound.gif

Yo, damn. That's good.

Yup what lamp posted happens all the time, this world is so dynamic and amazing. I feel like I haven't done a quest in hours, who cares.

In terms of difficulty, I've been playing V hard since the start and I think it's perfect for me. All the difficulty does is change some stats which I posted on before. It's a simple toggle you can change at any time. Health is tough to come by because I go through it so much and the only way to get some outside buying it is to hunt regular animals or run around collecting stuff. So I am constantly collecting just to have some health on me which I burn through fast if I take on a herd. I have been instant killed before by bigger beasts. So it is tough but feels right.

I have yet to feel like it's frustrating so I am keeping it in very hard.

I don't watch as much TV as I used to, but is Sony actually putting out spots for this game? I can't recall seeing any during the commercials breaks for any of the shows I watch.

Dovahking

This world is just madness. Spoilers of the last 5 minutes of traversing the world around me (just details about some environmental interactions).

I just finish a main mission. I head down a mountain and my next objective is far away. I decide to find a ride instead of fast travel.

I come down the mountain and another member of my tribe is wandering around getting assaulted by bandit scavengers of another tribe. I couldn't save him in time, but I kill his enemies.

In the midst of the commotion, some giant thunderbird machines that were circling are alerted to the commotion and start lobbying frozen energy at me and trying to peck at me like crows.

I finally escape them because I don't have the patience or ammo to waste on them. Then I come across a pasture where chargers (bull-like machines) are grazing. I want to override one to mount it like a bull, but it alerts the rest of the herd. The herd attacks, but my overridden charger helps me kill them all. I thought I had clutched victory, but now that swarm of thunderbirds has been alerted to my presence again and starts attacking my overridden charger, killing it, and then chasing me into the mountains.

Fuck this, I'm fast traveling lmao

I love this world.

Oh man, that sounds so cool.

Imagine this get's a higher score than Zelda.

That would be drama.

That would certainly be something. I can't imagine a world where this happens, though. Mainline Zelda games are almost guaranteed to score in the low-mid 90s. It's a critical darling like GTA, Mario, and the more recent Naughty Dog titles. If GG manages to reach those heights, it'll be an incredible achievement for a new IP that's completely outside of a developer's comfort zone. Regardless, I hope they're both received very well.

This world is just madness. Spoilers of the last 5 minutes of traversing the world around me (just details about some environmental interactions).

I just finish a main mission. I head down a mountain and my next objective is far away. I decide to find a ride instead of fast travel.

I come down the mountain and another member of my tribe is wandering around getting assaulted by bandit scavengers of another tribe. I couldn't save him in time, but I kill his enemies.

In the midst of the commotion, some giant thunderbird machines that were circling are alerted to the commotion and start lobbying frozen energy at me and trying to peck at me like crows.

I finally escape them because I don't have the patience or ammo to waste on them. Then I come across a pasture where chargers (bull-like machines) are grazing. I want to override one to mount it like a bull, but it alerts the rest of the herd. The herd attacks, but my overridden charger helps me kill them all. I thought I had clutched victory, but now that swarm of thunderbirds has been alerted to my presence again and starts attacking my overridden charger, killing it, and then chasing me into the mountains.

Fuck this, I'm fast traveling lmao

I love this world.

This type of organic interaction is what entices me most. Hopefully they are plentiful in the world, lending it credence to being called a "living" open world.

VanWinkle

I've been wondering how I'm going to approach having Horizon and Zelda at the same time, but I got it. Whenever I'm home playing on the TV I'll play Horizon. When I'm lying down for bed or not around the TV, I'll play Zelda on the Switch.

I'm pumped now.

Drewfonse

Yeah, put me in the "how the hell will I play all these games" camp. Horizon, Nier Automata, ME. And I've never played a Persona game. So maybe I'll fucking buy that one, too. Jesus.

I'm getting this, Nier, Mass Effect, Persona, and Prey all day one, and of course this all happens right as I start my new job

Haha, you and me both. I'll likely have the least amount of free time in years.

I wish. The fact it comes out 2 days before Breath of the Wild and the Switch is killing me. If only it was this week.

YES. Just swallow your pride, Sony, and release the damn thing now so we can play it before BOTW drops.

Mathieran

Banned
Lots of awesome games you guys are listing. For now I'm just gonna get Horizon, and waiting to hear how the Wii U version of Zelda fares and I might get than soon if it's good.

Otherwise I'm gonna go back into my backlog after Horizon and catch everything else on sale down the road. I'm probably gonna end up buying like 20 games this Black Friday.

Plum

I've been wondering how I'm going to approach having Horizon and Zelda at the same time, but I got it. Whenever I'm home playing on the TV I'll play Horizon. When I'm lying down for bed or not around the TV, I'll play Zelda on the Switch.

I'm pumped now.

You have much more concentration than me, when I'm playing something to completion I can't play another game at the same time.

My plan is Zelda, Persona 5, finishing off Ni-Oh during exam season, Horizon first thing when exams are over.

VanWinkle

You have much more concentration than me, when I'm playing something to completion I can't play another game at the same time.

My plan is Zelda, Persona 5, finishing off Ni-Oh during exam season, Horizon first thing when exams are over.

I'm used to it. I'm usually reading several books at any given time, too. Keeps things interesting.

silva1991

Horizon --> Zelda --> Nier, Kh 1.5/2.5 or both --> Persona 5

Also Gravity Rush 2 and Dark Souls 3 DLCs

Gaming is great for me this year.

The Lamp

With a full time job, playing horizon to 100% completion would probably take me 2-3 weeks of playing every day. It's already taken me almost a week and I'm not done with the story lol

Top Bottom