• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon Zero Dawn SPOILERS Thread

shiba5

Question:

I was discussing with some friends, they don't totally buy the Hades creation idea, they think it's stupid. Anyway, the question is:

What was Hades supposed to use to destroy everything again in a predicted situation:

A- Corruptors and Deathbringers
B- Gaia's machines
C- Something else

?

B. He was supposed to reverse the terraforming system. Since GAIA blew herself up, he couldn't. He escaped to the Horus unit and decided to use the old Faro robots instead.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Question:

I was discussing with some friends, they don't totally buy the Hades creation idea, they think it's stupid. Anyway, the question is:

What was Hades supposed to use to destroy everything again in a predicted situation:

A- Corruptors and Deathbringers
B- Gaia's machines
C- Something else

?

Hades was just going to use Gaia's machines and AI subroutines to do the job. Since it was basically unable to do that once Gaia self destructed it had to figure out another route and where we got to the Faro machines. Then again the Faro machines could be directly related to this turn of events but we just don't know yet.

Venture

Been thinking about the Carja sun priests and their hymns. It's not English, but why would they know any language besides English and possibly Spanish?

HStallion

Been thinking about the Carja sun priests and their hymns. It's not English, but why would they know any language besides English and possibly Spanish?

Could be something just made up. I can see things getting pretty messy in those first couple generations of humanity after the womb that are basically starting over again.

Venture

Could be something just made up. I can see things getting pretty messy in those first couple generations of humanity after the womb that are basically starting over again.
Yeah. Could be some kind of ritual language just used by the priesthood I suppose.

Stoffinator

The One and Done™;233142359 said:
That video was insufferable. Unsubbed. The guy on the right was the only one who made sense throughout. 2 on the left sound so jaded.

I was surprised when they didn't like the side quests. Most seem to like the side quests. And Jones who reviewed the game didn't seem to like it up until the end, when it finally clicked for him.

shiba5

The guidebook finally answers the question about Sylens' lance: It's a transmitter to the storage unit he's carrying. He dupes Aloy.

The guidebook finally answers the question about Sylens' lance: It's a transmitter to the storage unit he's carrying. He dupes Aloy.

As soon as he gave Aloy that lance i knew he was up to no good.
Well he did say he would do it all over again but with more safeguards.

shiba5

As soon as he gave Aloy that lance i knew he was up to no good.
Well he did say he would do it all over again but with more safeguards.

He's such a great character. I'm a little worried that it looks like he's going to put Hades back into a Horus unit. That seems like a really horrible idea. Put him in a Watcher or something. Actually a talking Watcher would be hilarious.

shiba5

I'd love to have a permanent Watcher pet. They're so cute. I think they might be my favorite creature even though the Stormbird is way more impressive looking.

Not

Banned
Yay I can finally go in this thread!

You guys. Holy shit. Holy shit guys. That was like one of the best stories in a game ever. This is one of my new favorite entertainment IPs in any medium.

I guess I'm not spoiling anything. Uhh learning that the robots made the world from scratch was a big moment for me. I thought they were leftover military machines or something.

Not

Banned
Luckily Aloy herself was much better, because she obviously mattered much more. I still felt like Aloy was too one-note, and the lack of any sexual or romantic thoughts at all really hurt my perception of her as a real person. That was clearly done not to scare away guy gamers who like to self-insert as the main character, and it sucked.

Like I said, I loved the overall plot and lore, but with better characters and dialogue the sequel could be even better.

Fuck that, dude. She had more important things on her mind. Like finding out who she was and who her mother was and saving fucking humanity. The fact that so many other entertainment properties with female leads have to shoehorn in romance as crucial or necessary to the female character's development is an unnecessary trope, and you're just used to it.

It's fucking amazing that we can finally get a protagonist where the most important thing about her is never a man.

shiba5

Fuck that, dude. She had more important things on her mind. Like finding out who she was and who her mother was and saving fucking humanity. The fact that so many other entertainment properties with female leads have to shoehorn in romance as crucial or necessary to the female character’s development is an unnecessary trope, and you’re just used to it.

It's fucking amazing that we can finally get a protagonist where the most important thing about her is never a man.

There's an interview in the guidebook with one of the devs and he talks about how they thought about incorporating romance options. They decided it didn't fit with her single mindedness towards finding the truth, but that they hope to tackle it down the road.
I too thought it was great to have a female protagonist who didn't need a romance subplot. Refreshing.
I'm not adverse to it in a future game though.

Venture

Maybe it's already been brought up here, but you ever notice there are a lot of triangles in this game?

The Cauldrons have a bunch of triangle shaped features.

Triangle shaped doorways to ancient high-tech facilities.

The triangle pattern of flowers around metal flowers.

The children's murals painted on the wall in Eleuthia-9 have a lot of triangles.

Banuk artwork is heavily based on triangles.

The Focus device.

Maybe it's meant to be influenced by the Faro Automated solutions logo.

Maybe it's meant to be influenced by the Faro Automated solutions logo.

And the whole pharaonic/egyptian thing going on. Triangles are also kind of a big deal in several religions, as a marker for a trinity of some kind (Lis, GAIA and Aloy kind of form a trinity themselves).

If you stop to think about it, the mythos of the game lays quite heavily on a bunch of real world stuff. There's a lot to unpack.

David___

Banned
He's such a great character. I'm a little worried that it looks like he's going to put Hades back into a Horus unit. That seems like a really horrible idea. Put him in a Watcher or something. Actually a talking Watcher would be hilarious.

I'd love to have a permanent Watcher pet. They're so cute. I think they might be my favorite creature even though the Stormbird is way more impressive looking.
Would be cool if we could permanently tame the herbavore machines so they could be used to collect resources while you're off doing whatever in the sequel.

You guys. Holy shit. Holy shit guys. That was like one of the best stories in a game ever. This is one of my new favorite entertainment IPs in any medium.

I guess I'm not spoiling anything. Uhh learning that the robots made the world from scratch was a big moment for me. I thought they were leftover military machines or something.
Like, it makes so much sense in hindsight but its so cool. They would cause extinction after extinction if they fucked up just to start from scratch again. And the part that's responsible for it goes rouge even when everything is fine? Perfect villain right there.

By the way, I think the writers kinda based their idea of having GAIA and HADES, two separate AIs to terraform and destroy, on GANs, generative adversarial networks.

Basically, the idea with GANs is that you have two competing networks: one, the generative, is trained to generate stuff the best it can - so, by its own measure, all it makes is always perfect; the other network is discriminative, it is trained to evaluate the others' work using a learned baseline. If what was generated is found lacking, it then propagates back changes to the generative network and restarts work. The pair does that until what's produced matches or surpasses the learned baseline.

Venture

And the whole pharaonic/egyptian thing going on.
Ah, yeah. Like Ted and his pyramid bunker. lol

Triangles are also kind of a big deal in several religions, as a marker for a trinity of some kind (Lis, GAIA and Aloy kind of form a trinity themselves).

If you stop to think about it, the mythos of the game lays quite heavily on a bunch of real world stuff. There's a lot to unpack.
Interesting thought.

Going back to the metal flowers, someone once mentioned the little snatches of poetry could be like a lingering shadow of Apollo. Might be the same for the pattern of flowers around them too since Apollo's icon in the ZD program was a triangle (a Focus Device). Some kind of remnant or a tribute to something lost maybe.

slade

So, what was the source of the original glitch that caused the Faro Robots to go out of control in the first place? Just a glitch or something more? That we don't know where that transmission that knocked out Gaia came from suggests the latter to me.

Can't wait for the sequel.

Not

Banned
So, what was the source of the original glitch that caused the Faro Robots to go out of control in the first place? Just a glitch or something more? That we don't know where that transmission that knocked out Gaia came from suggests the latter to me.

Can't wait for the sequel.

I think GAIA mentioned that without her presence the machines would eventually malfunction

Finally finished the game. Really loved the story as the game went on and loved Aloy as a character. If anything, by the end of the game I started to appreciate the side characters more as well. I feel like they did a fantastic job with this game and have just enough things to improve on further. Definitely in my top 5 this generation and I enjoyed it more than The Witcher 3 as well, primarily due to the combat,

- Better melee combat (maybe Batman mixed with Souls), perhaps having weapons dealing different types of damage, primarily human enemies. (tomahawk, spear, mace, etc)

- Further expanded side quests like The Witcher 3, with deeper side characters.

- Bigger =/ Better, focus on more machines, more variety of locations and interesting encounters.

Absolutely love how they've set it up for a possible trilogy here.

Best wishes.

Going back to the metal flowers, someone once mentioned the little snatches of poetry could be like a lingering shadow of Apollo.

There's a datapoint that mentions that Naoto, the alpha responsible for DEMETER, the subroutine that takes care of plants and trees, had a huge passion for poetry. And it might be me, but I kind of got a feeling they might've had a crush on Lis.

HStallion

I'm guessing there is a lot of old world knowledge spread through the different Gaia subroutines as the poems from the metallic flowers are actual poems from real people. Not too mention all the knowledge of the many different kinds of sciences that would be needed to terraform a dead planet and re-establish a working biosphere in less than a millennia. I think Apollo was mainly knowledge of human history and everything needed to restart a hopefully healthy intelligent and mature human society, thus all the tons of fail safes and safeguards against teaching the new humans how to be better than the old ones. Then Ted fucked it all up.

Zackat

Sony should push their chips in on a Horizon movie

I belieeeeeve

God I hate Ted Faro so much. When he killed the alphas I literally scream "YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!" irl. Wish I could have killed him myself.

Also this may just be my ex-fanfictioneer brain talking but Aloy was showing some interest in Varl at the end there right??
I totally ship Aloy x Varl. Valoy?

Put him in a potato.

alexbull_uk

Sony should push their chips in on a Horizon movie

I belieeeeeve

I actually don't think Horizon would make a good movie. Part of the reason it was so great is that the narrative unfolds pretty slowly. Getting small chunks of information about Zero Dawn over several hours until the big reveal was a great experience.

I actually don't think Horizon would make a good movie. Part of the reason it was so great is that the narrative unfolds pretty slowly. Getting small chunks of information about Zero Dawn over several hours until the big reveal was a great experience.

13 episodes anime season, directed by Shūkō Murase. Kojima probably has the contacts needed to make it happen :D

Zackat

yeah but I wanna see amazing CGI robot dinos getting owned by a red haired girl with a bow

shiba5

God I hate Ted Faro so much. When he killed the alphas I literally scream "YOU FUCKING ASSHOLE!" irl. Wish I could have killed him myself.

Also this may just be my ex-fanfictioneer brain talking but Aloy was showing some interest in Varl at the end there right??
I totally ship Aloy x Varl. Valoy?

Put him in a potato.

That voice coming out of a potato would be something. (Now I want to play Portal 2)

Dabi

Yeah, I don't understand it either. Especially with him knowing he was duped by Hades once already and what the Horus unit is capable of.

On another note, I hope the Apollo unit sent to space comes into play in future games someway, somehow. I don't see what else could have corrupted GAIA.

Morts

I'm pretty sure all I have to do for my Platinum is replay the final mission to get the All Allies trophy, but looking at these trophy guides I don't remember some of these quests I'm supposed to have done. I haven't seen any side quest markers while scouring the map for Metal Flowers/Vantages/Banuk figures though. Oh well, I guess I'll run through it in the morning and see what happens.

Venture

Would putting Hades back into a Horus even be much of a danger? It seems pretty much powerless without human help. Sylens built the focus network and the Eclipse had to find and dig up the old machines before anything happened.

There's a datapoint that mentions that Naoto, the alpha responsible for DEMETER, the subroutine that takes care of plants and trees, had a huge passion for poetry. And it might be me, but I kind of got a feeling they might've had a crush on Lis.
Ah, OK.

shiba5

Would putting Hades back into a Horus even be much of a danger? It seems pretty much powerless without human help. Sylens built the focus network and the Eclipse had to find and dig up the old machines before anything happened.

Ah, OK.

Why even risk it? If that thing starts up, it can make its own army.

Venture

Why even risk it? If that thing starts up, it can make its own army.
I'm just guessing but maybe Hades needs to be housed in a sufficiently powerful core to actually function so that Sylens can communicate with it. It seems like the Horus machines are completely dead or Hades probably would've tried to resurrect one already.

It does still seem like a big risk, but Sylens is arrogant enough to think he an control it.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member

lol, quite a few people are right there with you. I know I am.

Really excited to see what the expansion looks like. Going to be a long wait for news!

Does anyone know where I can just straight up read all the datapoints and journals and stuff? Really don't want to go through all that on my TV, not to mention finding them all.

shiba5

I'm just guessing but maybe Hades needs to be housed in a sufficiently powerful core to actually function so that Sylens can communicate with it. It seems like the Horus machines are completely dead or Hades probably would've tried to resurrect one already.

It does still seem like a big risk, but Sylens is arrogant enough to think he an control it.

Maybe he'll take the core out so it can't replicate. Still seems iffy.

Top Bottom