• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn vs. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Vote for your Game Of The Generation!

• Horizon: Zero Dawn

Votes: 172 46.5%
  • Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain

Votes: 198 53.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

.Pennywise

Banned
This match is part of the Game of the Generation Tournament. For rules, details and current brackets go to the Tournament thread (Click)

ghpk9Lg.jpg

Grinchy

Banned
Fuck, this is actually tough. MGS5 was missing the rest of its story, but the game itself is fantastic.

Horizon plays well but has its own story issues (while also having good components to the story and it's at least complete).

RAIDEN1

I would have rather compared MGS4 than the flop that is 5....let alone playing through that game, I couldn't even watch the whole walkthrough of it instead! Its just nowhere near as gripping..

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Oh damn this is going to be just like Ori vs UC4. A game I love is going to get it's ass kicked by another boring ass game. HZD is my favorite game left in the competition and I see it's losing :pie_lcry:

This should make Lionel Richie Lionel Richie happy since it will secure my vote for BotW.

Last edited:
MGSV.

Firstly, Jack Bauer is going to kick my ass if I vote otherwise. But MGSV and HZD are at top of my list for open-world games this generation, albeit I have a huge blindspot with The Witcher 3 and GTAV. There's just not enough time in my life for these type of games any longer.

RedVIper

Banned
I love the gameplay in mgsv, yeah the story was unfinished, and it wasn't particularly good. But I'm in it for the gameplay part of games, and mgsv beat HZD in that department.

sobaka770

Banned
Playing it safe is more boring, it makes sense

Fighting robot dinausaurs with different bows and weapons you can pick up vs stealth-action-base building? Afghan story with no conclusion vs mystery of post-apocalyptic earth living as tribal society with The Old Ones and their machines with expert ending? I'd say Kojima is the safe one here.
I mean all the power to MGS, it's just a community vote, but HZD is nowhere near safe.

Senua

Fighting robot dinausaurs with different bows and weapons you can pick up vs stealth-action-base building? Afghan story with no conclusion vs mystery of post-apocalyptic earth living as tribal society with The Old Ones and their machines with expert ending? I'd say Kojima is the safe one here.
I mean all the power to MGS, it's just a community vote, but HZD is nowhere near safe.
Don't get me wrong, the art-style for HZD is amazing, but it's still a pretty generic open world game really no?

Horizon has the best story (well that wasn't hard), narrative, graphics, and best combat and gameplay but only against machines (which should be suprising). The gameplay vs the humans is rubbish and the exploration is pointless which is a shame. Finally it runs at only 30fps.

MGS5 has an absurd story and the combat against the supes is frustratingly useless but has the best gameplay of this generation (against humans in secondary missions). MGS5 is still the technically most impressive game of the current gen (on base consoles): It's an open world with dynamic weather with plenty of AI and complex systems and is locked at 60fps on base PS4 and XB1.

In the end the most important is the gameplay: MGS5 wins.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
Either Sony fanboys still asleep or i really underestimated this board

Many ps fans will prob still vote mgs over hzd

mgs was quite a big brand on playstation and have a big fanbase after all these years meanwhile hzd still a relatively new ip and hasnt grow a big enough follower like the other one

plus xbox and nintendo fan will join forces voting mgs v so theres that

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

I liked both a lot. But when they eventually shut down the servers for MGSV, that game is going to be gimped. So HZD I guess.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Friendship ended with CatLady :messenger_loudly_crying:

Real talk here now, Witcher 3 is also a sensible choice. But if you vote for something pedestrian like God of War you're therefore banned from NintenGAF.

No chance in hell, I don't like Sony 1st party games other than HZD. And I'll still vote BotW. I love CDPR, but I prefer BotW over W3

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Metal Gear not a knock against Horizon (great game) but I just love the way the game plays, and Kojima is the better story teller even if the story doesn't make sense here and there.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Metal Gear by a mile.

Although being two thirds of a game and having one of the most cringe worth scenes in gaming history, it's still one hell of a game.

LENCH187

Metal Gear... its not even close

Liked Horizon, but I spent SO much time playing MG.. would love to experience it all over again

GametimeUK

I've been what seems like a vocal minority for MGS5 for so long. I guess MGS is so popular that even when only part of your fanbase loves the game it's still a lot of people lol.

Great game, 60fps, amazing gameplay, looks beautiful. It was such a ride for me even despite it falling short in terms of story. I do however like that this game focuses on gameplay. I also like how you can listen to tapes on the fly instead of being stuck in codec conversations for 35 minutes.

Arachnid

HZD was one of my biggest disappointments this gen, and I tried so damn hard to love it (I've been a big fan of Aloys voice actress since my teen years). IMO it shouldn't even be in the running for GOTG.

MGSV, on the other hand, was fucking fantastic. It's one of the few games I would actually be OK with winning this tournament (though Bloodborne should be the winner IMO).

MGSV the GOAT
tenor.gif

Last edited:

Dthomp

MGSV was one of my least favorite "Big" games this gen. Boring from start to finish, not to mention the unfinished-ness of the game. Any non-Kojima company releases a game in this state and everybody here would want their heads but when it's their boy Hideo it gets a pass.

Least favorite MGS game of em all. Loved Horizon, it didn't reinvent the wheel when it comes to open world games, but how many do anymore? Good story, actually had an ending, and set up beautifully for a sequel while itself being a finale for this adventure.

The fact that MGSV made it out of the first round makes me worried about peoples tastes around here, but this whole bracket has had nothing but IMO wrong winners, way to many Weebos here

MrS

Banned
MGSV by lightyears because of the amazing sandbox and plethora of wild shit you can do with Big Boss.

HZD is a massively overrated game with boring gameplay and shit combat. Style over substance.

Top Bottom