• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

drotahorror

I didn't mind the Crooked Man, as it portrayed that character the way a child might imagine him.

I personally thought the crooked man was cool, but I know for a fact that I'm in the minority as most people I've talked to thought it was stupid. I thought it was sort of unique and out of nowhere, so I respected that a bit. I like shit like that.

I thought the opening was bad, and just that whole backstory with Valak (googled it) wasn't good. Lot of cheesiness with that whole ordeal especially towards the end.

I did like The Conjuring 2 though.

2016 was pretty bad for horror movies come to think of it.

HiiiLife

Crooked man was my only complaint for that movie. Still enjoyed it other than that and the painting scene was one of my fav theater moments last year.

Pachimari

I really liked Hush a lot when I saw it last year, and it was made better by the main character being deaf. It was almost as i the viewer was deaf together with her.

Don't Breathe was pure shit. Blair Witch disappointed me but was at least more tolerable than the original.

Watched The Monster yesterday. Really liked the two leads, but the movie really needed to decide which story it wanted to tell, cause it didn't juggle the dramatic flashbacks and creature feature present day well at all. Monster design was on point though, loved the look. Worth a watch, but nowhere near as good as The Strangers in my eyes.

gamz

Watched The Monster yesterday. Really liked the two leads, but the movie really needed to decide which story it wanted to tell, cause it didn't juggle the dramatic flashbacks and creature feature present day well at all. Monster design was on point though, loved the look. Worth a watch, but nowhere near as good as The Strangers in my eyes.

I liked it, but it was no The Strangers for sure.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Dont Breathe was alright. Nothing special but damn, it went pretty dark towards the end:
Wouldnt call it a horrormovie, its more a thriller.

zeemumu

I just saw Split.

When it first looked like the movie was over I was thinking

"Yeah, okay. That was a pretty good movie. Definitely better than the one's he's been doing lately."

Then Bruce Willis showed up and I went OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHH SHIT!!!!!!!!!

8/10

lordxar

The ending blew all the momentum the rest of the film had. They really should have let that soak another 20 minutes and done something else for the ending...
like some sort of internet video deal maybe showing both and how the merging changed things.

zeemumu

It seems like
Sadako is canonically stronger than Kayako.
She has a bigger presence as a villain as well.

I realized that this movie was being played for laughs when that guy got pancaked.

The ending blew all the momentum the rest of the film had. They really should have let that soak another 20 minutes and done something else for the ending...
like some sort of internet video deal maybe showing both and how the merging changed things.

It was pretty abrupt and just felt like they had no idea where to go from there.

Aske

I loved it and thought it was the best entry in either series

Okay, you totally had me for a second.

Yeah, it was garbage. It felt purposely designed to ram home just how awesome the original two Ringu movies and The Grudge were; and highlight how all the Predator clicks and wells and eyes and long black hair in the world are utterly worthless without the vision and atmosphere of the classic films.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I have just seen Invasion of the Body Snatcher again. What an amazing, I love so much how they more and more build up the Pod-People throughout the movie. Its a bit hurt when you know what is supposed to happen and how the body snatcher "work" (Special mention of the scenes with the garbage collectors - Amazing!). The only franchise where I always welcome remakes, cause its a tradition at this point. I hope the next one doesnt take to long anymore.

gamz

I have just seen Invasion of the Body Snatcher again. What an amazing, I love so much how they more and more build up the Pod-People throughout the movie. Its a bit hurt when you know what is supposed to happen and how the body snatcher "work" (Special mention of the scenes with the garbage collectors - Amazing!). The only franchise where I always welcome remakes, cause its a tradition at this point. I hope the next one doesnt take to long anymore.

This ver. is really good also.

220px-Body_snatchers_1993.jpg

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I love that one, too!

Just saw Blair Witch. Am I the only one who thinks that this movie didnt started as a Blair Witch Sequel and was later turned into one? The rules how the witch "works" are to different, IMO.

zeemumu

I love that one, too!

Just saw Blair Witch. Am I the only one who thinks that this movie didnt started as a Blair Witch Sequel and was later turned into one? The rules how the witch "works" are to different, IMO.

In a way it kinda did. We didn't know it was a Blair Witch movie until about a month before it came out.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
In a way it kinda did. We didn't know it was a Blair Witch movie until about a month before it came out.

I stand by this, this movie would have been great if they never revealed it and you went into the theater and in 20 minutes go "oh shit! Did they say Blair Witch?" it would still be a bad movie, but the surprise would have gotten it tons of brownie points with me.

zeemumu

I stand by this, this movie would have been great if they never revealed it and you went into the theater and in 20 minutes go "oh shit! Did they say Blair Witch?" it would still be a bad movie, but the surprise would have gotten it tons of brownie points with me.

To be fair we figured it out long before they revealed it. There's a thread on here somewhere where someone analyzed a freeze-frame of the old trailer enough to recognize a stickman in the background. But yeah, that definitely would've bumped the movie up a few quality notches. Kinda like if Terminator Genisys hadn't revealed its Evil John Connor plot in the trailer.

drotahorror

I love that one, too!

Well it was literally called "The Woods" a few months before it was renamed The Blair Witch if I recall.

I'm also surprised anyone thought it would be above average based on the trailer that was shot for shot of what looked like a remake of the original.

Also, everyone heard about "David Gordon Green and Danny McBride will be writing and directing the new Halloween movie with John Carpenter" right?

Pretty crazy, supposedly McBride is a huge horror movie fan. I love the guy so I'm interested to see how things work out. The new movie will take place right after Halloween 2.

MattyH

Rewatched the hellraiser movies on bluray over the last few days and I'm still impressed with how well hellbound held up

zeemumu

Anyone else seeing Get Out tonight?

I'll either see it tonight or tomorrow.

I picked up the Krampus tie in comic and I'd definitely recommend it if you liked the movie. It sheds a little more light on what Krampus' whole deal is and is a lot darker than the movie in a lot of ways.

Hex

Banned
Rewatched the hellraiser movies on bluray over the last few days and I'm still impressed with how well hellbound held up

The Arrow released "Scarlet Box" has been nothing short of amazing

Been really in a nostalgia mood and been making my wallet hurt.

House of Dark Shadows
Night of Dark Shadows
Dan Curtis' Dracula (with Jack Palance)
The City of the Dead (Christopher Lee)
Night of the Devils (LA NOTTE DEI DIAVOLI)
In the Mouth of Madness (which I could have sworn that I owned before ..turns out I still had only the dvd)

Also preorder for :
Phantasm Collection
Wishmaster Collection
The Mummy: Complete Legacy Collection
Dracula: Complete Legacy Collection

gamz

To be fair we figured it out long before they revealed it. There's a thread on here somewhere where someone analyzed a freeze-frame of the old trailer enough to recognize a stickman in the background. But yeah, that definitely would've bumped the movie up a few quality notches. Kinda like if Terminator Genisys hadn't revealed its Evil John Connor plot in the trailer.

Yep. Shyamalan did it correctly.

Plus, without the Blair Witch title it wouldn't do anything at the Boxoffice.

Hex

Banned
Yep. Shyamalan did it correctly.

Plus, without the Blair Witch title it wouldn't do anything at the Boxoffice.

It was literally the first horror film that I have watched in a long long time where I was genuinely offended that I wasted my time and money on it.

zeemumu

It was literally the first horror film that I have watched in a long long time where I was genuinely offended that I wasted my time and money on it.

For me, that was The Devil Inside. The movie was so mediocre and the ending was a slap in the face with a metal glove.

I'm thinking of picking up The Blob remake and Hellraiser 1 and 2 to add to my horror collection.

Also has anyone seen something called "XX"? I think it was an anthology movie that debuted at sundance

gamz

For me, that was The Devil Inside. The movie was so mediocre and the ending was a slap in the face with a metal glove.

I'm thinking of picking up The Blob remake and Hellraiser 1 and 2 to add to my horror collection.

Also has anyone seen something called "XX"? I think it was an anthology movie that debuted at sundance

I heard it was a mixed bag.

Hex

Banned

If you are going to get Hellraiser 1 and 2, try and get the Scarlet Box from Arrow.
It is 1, 2, and 3, with a new encode that looks amazing, and a ton of extras in a limited box.
Can not suggest it enough if you are a fan.

XX is shaping up to be pretty good so far.

(Small write up on it HERE )

Aske

XX is shaping up to be pretty good so far.

(Small write up on it HERE )

Jovanka Vuckovic! I met her very briefly a couple of years ago. She was involved with organising the Lovecraft bust project in Providence. Thanks for the heads up - I'll check this out.

Enk

makes good threads.

I watched it the other day and thought it was alright. I felt the first story was the best which was based off a Jack Ketchum short story. The others, including the wrap-around claymation, all have their charm to them. I think it's a good one time watch, but don't expect Creepshow or Trick 'r Treat levels of horror anthology goodness.

Now I did watch something last night that I completely loved which was The Girl With All the Gifts. As part of a gaming forum I'm sure a lot of people with draw a bunch of comparisons to The Last of Us. I couldn't help it as well, but it is still a damn good film in its own right. It's such a crying shame that this is completely going under the radar with its release. I'd avoid the trailers for this one as it's best to go in blind. I highly recommend it.

You can find it here to stream.

gamz

I've discovered this very low budget horror production company called Pig Biting Pig Production and their films are pretty good.

They are up on Amazon Prime and I watched It Lives in the Attic and Hell is Full.

The budget's are micro 1000 bucks and the acting is amateurish at best, but the plots are really interesting.

So if you're into really low budget shit it's worth a watch.

Damn somehow I missed this thread, or have smoked its memory away. Hola horror gaf, I'm a horror fiend to the point I actually write and film genre material. All I can say is ever since I was small- from Grimm tales to Jaws, Alien, Predator, and Godzilla- horror and science fiction has captivated me beyond belief. Monster movies are great! You all were mentioning so many deep cuts I had to join in- gamz I can't believe you'd recommend Body Snatchers..... It's so aggressively bland.....

I double featured The Howling and Phantasm earlier this week for strange, almost pulpy, fun and have been going through the BLUs of the first six Jason movies... They're fucking revelations after decades of tape and DVD viewings. Did you know they actually look incredible cleaned up?

lordxar

I blew through Phantasm 2 through Ravager last weekend and all I can say is its a shitty b series that I loved! The low budget really made it special I think like Evil Dead.

zeemumu

I never knew that The Fat Boys - Ready for Freddy was made for the 4th movie. You can kinda tell that that's the movie right before they started going nuts with Freddy.

Melchiah

I'm having a Stephen King themed weekend with Storm of the Century, Rose Red, and The Mist, and was wondering if Nightmares and Dreamscapes and Bag of Bones mini-series are worth a watch?

Aske

I'm having a Stephen King themed weekend with Storm of the Century, Rose Red, and The Mist, and was wondering if Nightmares and Dreamscapes and Bag of Bones mini-series are worth a watch?

I've not seen those miniseries, but the classic Tim Curry IT miniseries is essential. I remember enjoying The Tommyknockers at the time too, but I'm not sure how well that's aged.

Melchiah

I've not seen those miniseries, but the classic Tim Curry IT miniseries is essential. I remember enjoying The Tommyknockers at the time too, but I'm not sure how well that's aged.

Yeah, that's one of my favorites, and I think the remake is completely needless. We didn't watch it now, as it's too fresh in memory.

It's been ages since I saw Tommyknockers, so I don't remember it that well either.

I also like The Shining mini-series, as it's faithful to the book, but the child actor and ending drags it down. As for the less known movies, Dreamcatcher is pretty entertaining.

Top Bottom