• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Every one of them are first timer's except for the ones at the very bottom. The Fright Night release I have is the recent one from Eureka. It's a region 2 release, looks great, and even has the recent doc "You're So Cool Brewster" on it. I'm unsure if it's region free though. I know we've talked before about region locking, by I can't remember which region you have access to. I have a player that is capable of being switched to regions 1, 2 and 3. I'll let you know which regions the disk can be played in.

Thanks. I'm mainly region A. I do have a cheap extra player with a hidden menu to change regions but I think it's on its last legs so I'm avoiding using it until I find a decent replacement.

Steamlord

I nabbed Spider Baby, House of Usher, and Dr. Phibes during that Arrow sale. I'm excited to rewatch those. Spider Baby has become one of my go-to recommendations for the October marathons. So good. The more people I can get to watch it the better.

So I gave Umberto Lenzi's Nightmare City a rewatch last night because that zombie recommendations thread that popped up the other day got me thinking. It's still hilarious, I love it. I can't believe they're trying to remake it.

If anyone likes Italian lowbudget cheese and hasn't seen it yet, look into it.

I nabbed Spider Baby, House of Usher, and Dr. Phibes during that Arrow sale. I'm excited to rewatch those. Spider Baby has become one of my go-to recommendations for the October marathons. So good. The more people I can get to watch it the better.

Spider Baby that good, huh? Will attempt to acquire for marathon!

Steamlord

I don't know if "good" is necessarily the right word to describe it, but it's certainly an experience. Really fun 60s exploitation schlock that paved the way for films like The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, except Spider Baby is a lot funnier.

I don't know if "good" is necessarily the right word to describe it, but it's certainly an experience. Really fun 60s exploitation schlock that paved the way for films like The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, except Spider Baby is a lot funnier.

I'm gonna go in blind, so hopefully I like it. I do recall one of the hosts on a horror podcast I used to listen to (before it got canned) loved it, and his taste was pretty close to mine. His recommendations never steered me wrong, so I'm hoping for the best.

Thanks. I'm mainly region A. I do have a cheap extra player with a hidden menu to change regions but I think it's on its last legs so I'm avoiding using it until I find a decent replacement.

I can confirm that Fright Night works in region A players. It was previously available as a steelbook, which is the one I have, and the disk is listed as region B despite being region free. The standard case version that's available now seems to have updated the coding for all regions on the box. You should be good to go, and it's a decent price as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MTZUC46/

Have you seen The Wailing?

I'll second that.

I can confirm that Fright Night works in region A players. It was previously available as a steelbook, which is the one I have, and the disk is listed as region B despite being region free. The standard case version that's available now seems to have updated the coding for all regions on the box. You should be good to go, and it's a decent price as well.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MTZUC46/

Great! Thanks for the confirmation. Ordering that with my next Amazon order. I prefer standard cases over steelbook too, so that's even better.

Have you tried the Magnus Archives? I'm not familiar with knifepointhorror (it looks great, though!) but the Magnus Archives is a weekly horror fiction anthology podcast. I started from the beginning and some of the stories are super creepy. I'd advise starting at the beginning as there is somewhat of a secondary serial plot.

Thanks! Will check it out for sure. I'm very keen on creepy right now. And if you're into that sort of thing too, knifepointhorror has been pretty interesting. Would love to swap thoughts on some of the stories.

Aske

Anyone have somewhat recent recommendations along the lines of The Witch/folk horror?

For a movie that evokes The Witch in terms of themes and atmosphere, check out The Blackcoat's Daughter. It's amazing, and beautifully crafted, but set in modern times, and not really bound up in any rural isolation, so possibly not what you're after.

For folk horror, you'll want something very different. Are you thinking of period movies specifically, or is it more a desire for the isolated-in-the-wilderness kind of vibe?

You'd almost certainly love the TV show Salem. Superb period horror. First season is best, but the second is decent too. It's about witches, witch trials, and gets gloriously horrific. If you want to watch a grotesque witch harvest a literal bag of dicks, watch season 2 of Salem.

I just saw The Alchemist's Cookbook, and while I didn't love it, it's a smart and interesting little movie that focuses on one man's descent into madness as he experiments with summoning spells, all alone in a tiny trailer in the woods. Definitely has that slightly folkish vibe.

Mr. Jones is pretty much the definition of folk horror set in contemporary times. It's about a couple living in the middle of nowhere who encounter an artist who creates horrific scarecrows for reasons.

And I forget the title, so perhaps someone else can help out, but another example of what I'd call folk-horror that comes to mind is a movie about two guys (brothers I think) who spend several nights in a cabin far away from civilisation. One is going through heroin withdrawal, the other is looking after him. They discover some artifacts, and a mystery unfolds. It has an interesting ending.

Steamlord

And I forget the title, so perhaps someone else can help out, but another example of what I'd call folk-horror that comes to mind is a movie about two guys (brothers I think) who spend several nights in a cabin far away from civilisation. One is going through heroin withdrawal, the other is looking after him. They discover some artifacts, and a mystery unfolds. It has an interesting ending.

Resolution. I remember liking it, I should watch it again.

Blackwell Ghost came up in my amazon prime recs and it was less than an hour so I watched it blind. Pretty creepy and if you like ghost stories, certainly worth the 55 minutes.
It is presented as a documentary style film. I'm spoil tagging because I read reviews after and it seems like a lot of people think it's actually a documentary, and I'm sure that makes it creepier for them. It is presented as a documentary in the amazon description.

This reviewer even did research to try to figure it out:
https://ihorror.com/blackwell-ghost-documentary-horror-movie-great-hook/

But ya, I'm going with fake. Too tight of a story to be a real doc, especially how it climaxes. The last night would fit right into a Paranormal Activities movie.

imBask

Banned
Forreals. A Shark Week episode is more exciting than this. :p

Anyone have somewhat recent recommendations along the lines of The Witch/folk horror?

For a movie that evokes The Witch in terms of themes and atmosphere, check out The Blackcoat's Daughter. It's amazing, and beautifully crafted, but set in modern times, and not really bound up in any rural isolation, so possibly not what you're after.

For folk horror, you'll want something very different. Are you thinking of period movies specifically, or is it more a desire for the isolated-in-the-wilderness kind of vibe?

You'd almost certainly love the TV show Salem. Superb period horror. First season is best, but the second is decent too. It's about witches, witch trials, and gets gloriously horrific. If you want to watch a grotesque witch harvest a literal bag of dicks, watch season 2 of Salem.

I just saw The Alchemist's Cookbook, and while I didn't love it, it's a smart and interesting little movie that focuses on one man's descent into madness as he experiments with summoning spells, all alone in a tiny trailer in the woods. Definitely has that slightly folkish vibe.

Mr. Jones is pretty much the definition of folk horror set in contemporary times. It's about a couple living in the middle of nowhere who encounter an artist who creates horrific scarecrows for reasons.

+1 on the Blackcoat's Daughter

gamz

Blackwell Ghost came up in my amazon prime recs and it was less than an hour so I watched it blind. Pretty creepy and if you like ghost stories, certainly worth the 55 minutes.
It is presented as a documentary style film. I'm spoil tagging because I read reviews after and it seems like a lot of people think it's actually a documentary, and I'm sure that makes it creepier for them. It is presented as a documentary in the amazon description.

This reviewer even did research to try to figure it out:

But ya, I'm going with fake. Too tight of a story to be a real doc, especially how it climaxes. The last night would fit right into a Paranormal Activities movie.

I enjoyed it. Nice and creepy and I fully agree with your spoiler tag. Nice little ride.

But then again...

Also, his wife creeped me out. No idea why she just did. Lol

The Blackcoat's Daughter sure was something. I love Emma Roberts and mainly watched it for her, but overall I thought everyone did a good job. Slow burn though.

Then a friend wanted me to watch The Rite. Yeah it was bad.

Aizo

Banned
Not actually Horror, but highly influenced by horror—I picked up The Satanic Bible for research today. Has anyone read it?

Aske

Not actually Horror, but highly influenced by horror—I picked up The Satanic Bible for research today. Has anyone read it?

Yep, back in my teens. It's not really influenced by horror; it's just sub-Nietzschean will-to-power philosophy with meaningless rituals sprinkled on top. Please let me know if you agree/disagree with any of this after you've read the book!

I've known a good number of Satanists over the years. Despite the aggressive push towards individuality and uniqueness in the book, they were all pretty similar types of people. They often have the self-assurance and arrogance of the basic pick-up-artist type, and just like PUA, they are able to use a combination of emotional callousness and manipulation to get what they want from certain very specific types of people much of the time. But anyone with a modicum of intelligence or experience can see right through them, and while they're not sociopaths, the fact that they wish they were is obvious. Being aware that somebody is trying to manipulate you is a very strange sensation. It's fascinating to have a few Satanists in your friend group, because you can observe them trying to exploit and manipulate each other.

They all tend to be incapable of defining the "rational" part of Satanism's core tenet ("rational self-interest") as anything more complicated than "hidden". I feel like my self-interest is better served by cultivating sincere relationships based on mutual respect and empathy; ideally with diverse types of people who aren't just like me. In my experience, most Satanists are only close to other Satanists. It's like a religion of grifters who bond over their grifting while frequently trying to grift each other. Naturally they are almost all Libertarians, and strong advocates of bootstraps philosophy, small government, and low taxes; despite the fact that this is not always in their rational self-interest.

That's not to say they all have to think this way, of course. LaVey doesn't impose a rigid moral philosophy; so just about anyone who can assert themselves while ignoring ethical systems based on superstition, and has a good sense of who they are and what they want in life, could be defined as a Satanist. It's just that only a certain type of person also has any desire to choose to adopt the Satanist label.

That probably sounds harsh, but it's been my experience. I feel like out-Satanist King Diamond probably doesn't have this fedora-Satanist kind of personality. Fairly certain a young Christina Ricci did, once upon a time. I should also clarify that I've only known British, American, and Canadian Satanists. If nothing else, I hope GAF's Satanists (I know we have a few) find my perspective informative. It's not my intention to offend you. This was my experience, and these were my findings.

I watched The Witch.

It was good but man...I spent most of my time being mad at how unbelievably christian they were, haha. Must have been hell to live in a family like this. Everyone except the main girl was annoying as hell because of that.

These fanatics weren't capable of rational thought.

Monocle

I watched The Witch.

It was good but man...I spent most of my time being mad at how unbelievably christian they were, haha. Must have been hell to live in a family like this. Everyone except the main girl was annoying as hell because of that.

These fanatics weren't capable of rational thought.
Yeah it did an incredible job of portraying a traditional Puritan family.

I tend to feel frustrated by depictions of parochial religious mindsets that lead to unecessary suffering, but The Witch didn't take make me go "holy shit, where is your sense?" nearly as much as I expected.

Things like mislaying blame for a lost item and jumping to absurd conclusions on the flimsiest evidence (
"We have to seriously consider you might be a witch because someone accused you of being a witch!"
) are slightly easier to accept considering how the family's situation was so fraught. Privation and personal losses take a serious toll. And also that, in the world of the film,
traditional beliefs about witches and the seductive nature of the Devil turn out to be dead accurate.

lordxar

Girl with all the Gifts was great! Very, very Last of Us. Some of the effects were a bit meh but overall the story and execution were pretty damn awesome.

House on Willow Street was pretty cool too. First half was really intense and good. As it rolled over halfway and ended it wound down like they ran out of money so there's some bad cgi. I liked it and would say toss it on a Halloween list for possession themes.

Saw Crimson Peak and enjoyed it for visuals, although it wasn't that scary.
The red ghosts in particular were very creepy looking but just not presented in a scary way.
I got that the ghosts were the good guys but the girl was scared so it would have made sense if they were given a little more menace, but every time one appeared there was a lot of space between them and her and they seemed confined to an area that she could easily run from.

I think it's kinda like all del Toro's films in that I really love how they look but the characters just don't speak to me and the story is fairly predictable. I mean, I'm gonna watch everything he does, but there's always something missing for me.

Saw The Monster Project, I love found footage horror and the premise was different and interesting, the human characters were more fleshed out that I thought they would be for this kind of movie, but the ending escalates in such a way it seems so out of place, almost as it belongs to other movie.

Aske

Saw Crimson Peak and enjoyed it for visuals, although it wasn't that scary.
The red ghosts in particular were very creepy looking but just not presented in a scary way.
I got that the ghosts were the good guys but the girl was scared so it would have made sense if they were given a little more menace, but every time one appeared there was a lot of space between them and her and they seemed confined to an area that she could easily run from.

Yep. Major let-down. Gorgeous packaging, but full of nothing but styrofoam.

I watched The Bye-Bye Man! It was forgettable!

Also watched Hell House LLC. For some reason I thought it would be a rip off of House that October Built. Found footage movie of a haunted house production gone wrong. I had low expectations and then it scared me pretty good for at least for the first half. Seems like that's how scary movies are for me--the build up is scary and then when it's climaxing, it's not scary at all. But by then the movie had exceeded expectations and it's short at 90 minutes.
You know how it ends because they tell you in the beginning, and it's obvious what else will happen, but at least it wraps up quickly and the setting is creepy.

Aizo

Banned
Yep, back in my teens. It's not really influenced by horror; it's just sub-Nietzschean will-to-power philosophy with meaningless rituals sprinkled on top. Please let me know if you agree/disagree with any of this after you've read the book!

I've known a good number of Satanists over the years. Despite the aggressive push towards individuality and uniqueness in the book, they were all pretty similar types of people. They often have the self-assurance and arrogance of the basic pick-up-artist type, and just like PUA, they are able to use a combination of emotional callousness and manipulation to get what they want from certain very specific types of people much of the time. But anyone with a modicum of intelligence or experience can see right through them, and while they're not sociopaths, the fact that they wish they were is obvious. Being aware that somebody is trying to manipulate you is a very strange sensation. It's fascinating to have a few Satanists in your friend group, because you can observe them trying to exploit and manipulate each other.

They all tend to be incapable of defining the "rational" part of Satanism's core tenet ("rational self-interest") as anything more complicated than "hidden". I feel like my self-interest is better served by cultivating sincere relationships based on mutual respect and empathy; ideally with diverse types of people who aren't just like me. In my experience, most Satanists are only close to other Satanists. It's like a religion of grifters who bond over their grifting while frequently trying to grift each other. Naturally they are almost all Libertarians, and strong advocates of bootstraps philosophy, small government, and low taxes; despite the fact that this is not always in their rational self-interest.

That's not to say they all have to think this way, of course. LaVey doesn't impose a rigid moral philosophy; so just about anyone who can assert themselves while ignoring ethical systems based on superstition, and has a good sense of who they are and what they want in life, could be defined as a Satanist. It's just that only a certain type of person also has any desire to choose to adopt the Satanist label.

That probably sounds harsh, but it's been my experience. I feel like out-Satanist King Diamond probably doesn't have this fedora-Satanist kind of personality. Fairly certain a young Christina Ricci did, once upon a time. I should also clarify that I've only known British, American, and Canadian Satanists. If nothing else, I hope GAF's Satanists (I know we have a few) find my perspective informative. It's not my intention to offend you. This was my experience, and these were my findings.
I just meant in terms of LaVey's youth, he's always had a love for Horror. I doubt that he would've ended up being who he was without it. Not to say that the end result is related to Horror, but he was definitely influenced. I just see some overlap.

I'm reading it out of curiosity as research rather than any sort of "finding myself," as I've read a lot about LaVey and seen many interviews from years back with Zeena and Nikolas Schreck, back when they were major defenders. I definitely agree with a lot of your assertions about Satanism. I honestly take issue with how much LaVey, akin to Nietzsche with the whole Ubermensch philosophy, says so much about how the weak will fail for the strong to succeed. I'm not down with that. It does appear to be a faith lacking in empathy due to its focus on individuality.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Saw the 🐐Dawn of the Dead in theaters for the first time tonight. My Alamo theater also announced they would be showing only George Romero films for the entire month of October every Tuesday. They only announced Martin, the 4K restoration of Night and Day of the Dead and Season of the Witch. No dates for any of them but I will be going to all of them. Especially that Night screening. I've been itching to see that restoration.

Melchiah

I just meant in terms of LaVey's youth, he's always had a love for Horror. I doubt that he would've ended up being who he was without it. Not to say that the end result is related to Horror, but he was definitely influenced. I just see some overlap.

I'm reading it out of curiosity as research rather than any sort of "finding myself," as I've read a lot about LaVey and seen many interviews from years back with Zeena and Nikolas Schreck, back when they were major defenders. I definitely agree with a lot of your assertions about Satanism. I honestly take issue with how much LaVey, akin to Nietzsche with the whole Ubermensch philosophy, says so much about how the weak will fail for the strong to succeed. I'm not down with that. It does appear to be a faith lacking in empathy due to its focus on individuality.

I've always interpreted that as weaknesses like addiction being an antithesis to the ideology, and amusingly enough alcoholism is not uncommon in black metal circles. I don't consider empathy towards those close to you, and those who treat you with the same respect as you treat them, to be in contradition with it. As for individualism, during the past years right-wing views have unfortunately become more common, and as a result diminished the appreciation of individualism. I find it pretty comical how some of the left hand path folk tread on the far-right side, despite of its strong ties with conservative christianity.

Saw the 🐐Dawn of the Dead in theaters for the first time tonight. My Alamo theater also announced they would be showing only George Romero films for the entire month of October every Tuesday. They only announced Martin, the 4K restoration of Night and Day of the Dead and Season of the Witch. No dates for any of them but I will be going to all of them. Especially that Night screening. I've been itching to see that restoration.

I'm jealous, Dawn would be a great theater experience. I wish there was an Alamo near me.

It would be great to see Martin as well, I've been waiting ages for a Blu release. I assume the rights are being sat on just like Dawn.

Melchiah

I'm jealous, Dawn would be a great theater experience. I wish there was an Alamo near me.

It would be great to see Martin as well, I've been waiting ages for a Blu release. I assume the rights are being sat on just like Dawn.

I recently heard from a FB friend who lives in LA, that Prince of Darkness was shown at the church where it was filmed at, just before last year's Halloween. Now, that's an experience I'm jealous about.

drotahorror

Haven't watched it myself, I will eventually but, apparently Death Note sucks. Adam Wingard, please go back to making your own original movies. If Death Note sucked, and Blair Witch is average, he's fucking blowing it on IP's that are already established. Movies like The Guest, You're Next, and even his VHS segments, prove he's a great director. He needs to go back to his roots and start working on original(ish) ideas.

Of course that'll be a while. His next 2 movies are an "I Saw the Devil" remake and "Godzilla vs Kong".

Haven't watched it myself, I will eventually but, apparently Death Note sucks. Adam Wingard, please go back to making your own original movies. If Death Note sucked, and Blair Witch is average, he's fucking blowing it on IP's that are already established. Movies like The Guest, You're Next, and even his VHS segments, prove he's a great director. He needs to go back to his roots and start working on original(ish) ideas.

Of course that'll be a while. His next 2 movies are an "I Saw the Devil" remake and "Godzilla vs Kong".

Oh shit, he did You're Next? That was really good...I wonder what's the problem here... :O I Saw The Devil really doesn't need a remake – that's a wonderful and dark film.

Aske

Saw It Comes At Night. I get it, but I didn't care for it. Nowhere near enough meat on its bones, and I think the idea could have been executed ina way that was both harder hitting in terms of what the film wanted to say, and more satisfying to the viewer. Only recommended for the purposes of discussion

Also saw Ghost House. Garbage-tier acting and weak cinematography hamstrung what could have been an interesting idea. One to avoid.

gamz

Saw They Come At Night. I get it, but I didn't care for it. Nowhere near enough meat on its bones, and I think the idea could have been executed ina way that was both harder hitting in terms of what the film wanted to say, and more satisfying to the viewer. Only recommended fire the purposes of discussion

Is it finally out on VOD? Been dying to see it and I'm a huge fan of his first film Krisha. If you've seen it how does it compare?

Aske

Is it finally out on VOD? Been dying to see it and I'm a huge fan of his first film Krisha. If you've seen it how does it compare?

I haven't seen Krisha, but I'd definitely watch it based on this. In terms of filmmaking it's solid; I just felt the story he wanted to tell has been told dozens of times before in more interesting ways. YMMV though.

dan2026

Watched A Cure for Wellness the other night.
Here's a movie that needed a good editor. It needed to loose half an hour to an hour easy.
It's a meandering and nonsensical experience.

Not recommended.

Aizo

Banned
I watched the first Corpse Party. It's... fine. Surprised that a pop idol was one of the stronger actors in the film. Lots of mediocre Horror films on Japanese Netflix.

gamz

I haven't seen Krisha, but I'd definitely watch it based on this. In terms of filmmaking it's solid; I just felt the story he wanted to tell has been told dozens of times before in more interesting ways. YMMV though.

Thanks. Will see it this weekend.

You really should watch Krisha. It's amazing.

Hex

Banned
Watched Blackwell Ghost last night due to the suggestion in here, was fun.
Did not try to overdo anything, I liked it.
I see that Hell House LLC has a mixed reception in here, I think I am going to pop that on next.
Will cap the night with Monster Project

Watched an old guilty pleasure of mine from the VHS days Daughter of Darkness last night too, Mia Sara, Anthony Perkins and Horned rimmed glasses guy from Heroes made for tv thing from like 1990.
Really glad alot of my old vices are starting to get good blu releases (Daughter is not for the record)
But things like Warlock, The Unnamable and its sequel, Rawhead Rex, Wishmaster just got a new set. 976-Evil is getting a good release The Resurrected ..
Reanimator just got a great release, Bird with Crystal Plumage..such a great time to be a fan

Also been on an italian/spanish horror kick probably due to being hyped for the new Suspira blu release.
Watching alot of older stuff that just kind of takes me home to when I was younger and walking around the Horror section of the local movie rental shop..

Edit:
Hell House LLC was ok but
it could have gone a long way if they did something to explain why the main guy was so hardcore against everything (yeah I know they alluded to something off camera) and also why the redhead guy was so quick to all of the sudden dismiss what he had seen and blame it on the one guy. They should have expounded the back story to hammer home who the guy appearing at the end was better.
All and all just very hollow

As far as Monster Project it was a clusterfuck.
So much could have been removed and perhaps had a decent movie. Hell I even thought that the room mate junkie guy was going to end up being a werewolf who kept taking the drugs to bury it and that would be the big twist but no, just a bunch of religious horse shit. The cult thing at the end also seemed very forced on instead of woven through the film with more than the reason the guy was paid and hired on.
Trainwreck

Top Bottom