• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami 2 Refused Australian Classification

HowZatOZ

Banned
So it seems even though we have an R18+ rating in Australia the classification board still deems Hotline Miami 2 not worthy of said rating. Straight from VG247 here is their excuse:
“The computer game is classified RC in accordance with the National Classification Code, Computer Games Table, 1. (a) as computer games that ‘depict, express or otherwise deal with matters of sex, drug misuse or addiction, crime, cruelty, violence or revolting or abhorrent phenomena in such a way that they offend against the standards of morality, decency and propriety generally accepted by reasonable adults to the extent that they should not be classified.’”
Sometimes I truly think our country hates letting citizens think.

Edit: Here is the reason.

Here's the reason for the ban, taken from the classification report.
In the sequence of game play footage titled Midnight Animal, the protagonist character bursts into what appears to be a movie set and explicitly kills 4 people, who collapse to the floor in a pool of copious blood, often accompanied by blood splatter. After stomping on the head of a fifth male character, he strikes a female character wearing red underwear. She is knocked to the floor and is viewed lying face down in a pool of copious blood. The male character is viewed with his pants halfway down, partially exposing his buttocks. He is viewed pinning the female down by the arms and lying on top of her thrusting, implicitly raping her (either rear entry or anally) while her legs are viewed kicking as she struggles beneath him. This visual depiction of implied sexual violence is emphasised by it being mid-screen, with a red backdrop pulsating and the remainder of the screen being surrounded by black.
- Kotaku AU

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
As someone not affected by the ban, that sounds great. With digital distribution, it can't be very difficult to get a hold of a copy.

Tenebrous

Thankfully the first game is DRM free on GOG, so cross your fingers the sequel is, and get a friend to snag you a copy.

'tis total bullshit, though.

Kaybe

Unconfirmed Member
All that talk about the R18 rating and this still happens. Embarrassing.
As someone not affected by the ban, that sounds great. With digital distribution, it can't be very difficult to get a hold of a copy.
Yeah, you just load the PS Store on your Vita and then... uh...

Drac84

FFS, this stupid country....

I play this game on Vita, what are the odds of it getting a physical release that I can import? less than 1%?

MrBS

I don't like it but I'm not against it. The code dealing with sex and drugs in games will have to change to stop this particular content from being RC'ed. The system is working as intended.

@MUWANdo

Banned
FFS, this stupid country....

I play this game on Vita, what are the odds of it getting a physical release that I can import? less than 1%?

Aren't Vita games exempt from the Aussie classification due to some loophole that classes the Vita as a mobile communication device and not a gaming machine?

oggob

Aren't Vita games exempt from the Aussie classification due to some loophole that classes the Vita as a mobile communication device and not a gaming machine?

I've heard this also, but considering that it is console also, all versions will be lumped together.

jtm33

Neo Member
It is not relevant as Sony will not sell an RC game on the PS Store.

I have a US account on my Vita though so whatever.

Tsunamo

I am getting so sick of this happening time and time again.
Was looking forward to playing this on Vita too, ah well. At least it shouldn't be too hard to get with DD if you really want it (on other platforms) as alr1ght said.

image.php

drotahorror

I just can't comprehend what could be so terrible in a 2D top down game. Yes I've heard about some of the content that got publicized a bit last year.

jtm33

Neo Member
I just can't comprehend what could be so terrible in a 2D top down game. Yes I've heard about some of the content that got publicized a bit last year.
If it has anything like taking drugs as power-ups that is reason enough to get it banned.

Dingotech

Am I recalling correctly that there is a
movie rape scene
in the game?

If so I'm assuming this is what has caused the ban rather than the actual violence? Especially given the first game was classified.

Oh well, another reason to continue to run US accounts.

Kritz

Banned
More dickwaving by the dinosaurs in control of the classifications, which will have ultimately minor effects on the people, who still have access to the game.

Am I recalling correctly that their is a
movie rape scene
in the game?

Australia has a habit of RCing any media which has sexual content, and also violence, within the same scene. Which is a decision that was presumably made in good faith, but one with no granularity (outside of the arbitrary slipups the board makes).

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
This makes me fucking sick. So it would be ok to murder males?
The special interest group that went viral with their petition to have the game pulled just happened to be interested in the topic of violence against sex workers.

It could have been anyone. It reminds me of how a Haitian interest group got a "kill all the Haitians" message pulled from Vice City a decade ago.

Because killing sex workers or killing Haitians are the main and only controversial topics in GTA? Smh

I thought PC games aren't beholden to following local game rating laws? I mean whose gonna stop Valve from selling it in Austrailan steam?

ZeroX03

Banned
Wonder if this will affect New Zealand. They would have had to pay for classification for the first one so they'll probably do it for the second.

It's good to see that every petition I signed was pointless.

But seriously, individuals over the age of 18 are adults. Stop telling us what media we can handle and what we can't, I was looking forward to eventually getting this on my vita, but eh.

Can anyone give me a heads up on what caused this to not even pass the R18+ restrictions?

banagher

Here's the reason for the ban, taken from the classification report. - Kotaku AU
In the sequence of game play footage titled Midnight Animal, the protagonist character bursts into what appears to be a movie set and explicitly kills 4 people, who collapse to the floor in a pool of copious blood, often accompanied by blood splatter. After stomping on the head of a fifth male character, he strikes a female character wearing red underwear. She is knocked to the floor and is viewed lying face down in a pool of copious blood. The male character is viewed with his pants halfway down, partially exposing his buttocks. He is viewed pinning the female down by the arms and lying on top of her thrusting, implicitly raping her (either rear entry or anally) while her legs are viewed kicking as she struggles beneath him. This visual depiction of implied sexual violence is emphasised by it being mid-screen, with a red backdrop pulsating and the remainder of the screen being surrounded by black.

Dryk

Can anyone give me a heads up on what caused this to not even pass the R18+ restrictions?
Sexual violence, the ratings board has a zero tolerance for it in games and a super low tolerance for it in other media. There's apparently a part of HM2 that involves killing a bunch of people and raping the survivor in the pool of blood. Honestly knowing Hotline Miami it's probably not overly problematic in the context of the series' message, but the ACB doesn't do context.

I thought PC games aren't beholden to following local game rating laws? I mean whose gonna stop Valve from selling it in Austrailan steam?
Apparently nobody, since Marc Ecko's Getting Up released on Steam here and that was banned. It's still there too.

Midnight Animal? That's same chapter that they previously caused controversy with, the fake movie based on the events of the original game. It sounds like it still has a rape scene.

Yagharek

So it seems even though we have an R18+ rating in Australia the classification board still deems Hotline Miami 2 not worthy of said rating. Straight from VG247 here is their excuse:Sometimes I truly think our country hates letting citizens think.

I have no doubt this is the case.

Australian Censorship Board needs to go.

Abylim

Incorrect. Valhalla Knights 3, for instance. Was RC'ed and not released in Australia.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Here's the reason for the ban, taken from the classification report. - Kotaku AU

It doesn't mention that this scene is from the filming of a movie? Seems like that's an extremely important bit. I know I personally would have a serious issue with this if it was a typical sequence but in context it makes it much easier to deal with.

Deadbeat

Banned
I thought they took out the rape thing because they caved. I wonder how many whine induced articles journalists are going to pump out due to the rape scene alone in hm2.

I thought they took out the rape thing because they caved. I wonder how many whine induced articles journalists are going to pump out due to the rape scene alone in hm2.

No, they removed it from that demos that they were showing. They said that they'd discuss whether or not it'd be in the final game, but it's obvious they decided to keep it.

Top Bottom