• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami 2 Refused Australian Classification

This is ridicolous, these morality bans must stop.
They are toxic towards freedom of expression.

They have ratings why not put a 18+ on it and go on?

All the R18+ rating did was increase the ceiling for violence in games allowing MK9 and Left 4 Dead 2 in its original form to get through where they couldn't before. The rules about sexual violence and whatnot are exactly the same i.e instant refusal.

megamerican

Good on Devolver for sticking to their vision.

This will likely have little effect other than promoting the game due to the controversy. Anybody in the AU will be able to figure out a way to get this game.

I do wonder if the game will take a hit in its reviews for this. The first game was a critical darling, but I don't see Kotaku or Polygon heaping tons of praise on a game with this content.

UrbanRats

Devolver just posted this
"[...]We also want to make clear that players are given an choice at the start of the game as to whether they wish to avoid content that alludes to sexual violence.[...]"

http://www.devolverdigital.com/blog/view/hotline-miami-2-australian-classification
Never liked this solution, i always thought it was a cheapening cop out even in Call of Duty, when they did it.
I understand that it can have an impact on some people, and that's why i think it's fine to clearly signal when the content it's there before hand, but narratively speaking, either you think a scene as controversial is necessary to the narrative, or you think it's not and you probably shouldn't include it in the first place.

For example, by the same token, you couldn't have Irreversible work without its shocking rape scene, so you should just avoid the movie altogether, instead of watching a cut version of it that doesn't make any sense, if you can't stomach that particular (pivotal) scene for whatever reason.

That said, videogames contrary to movies, also understandably hold a double nature as both narrative art pieces as well as toys to play with.
You can play Hotline Miami skipping all the dialogue while listening to a Podcast just to get the top score, you can't really get any value doing the same with a movie.
So in that sense, it sort of make sense, i guess? Not that HM is that unique, once you remove the narrative and stylistic subtext though.

I'm not saying they're cowards or anything like that, i'm sure they're making it with the wellbeing of their fans in mind, which is cool, but it does make me wonder how important the scene is, if it can be removed and still have the full experience.

TaroYamada

Never liked this solution, i always thought it was a cheapening cop out even in Call of Duty, when they did it.
I understand that it can have an impact on some people, and that's why i think it's fine to clearly signal when the content it's there before hand, but narratively speaking, either you think a scene as controversial is necessary to the narrative, or you think it's not and you probably shouldn't include it in the first place.

For example, by the same token, you couldn't have Irreversible work without its shocking rape scene, so you should just avoid the movie altogether, instead of watching a cut version of it that doesn't make any sense, if you can't stomach that particular (pivotal) scene for whatever reason.

That said, videogames contrary to movies, also understandably hold a double nature as both narrative art pieces as well as toys to play with.
You can play Hotline Miami skipping all the dialogue while listening to a Podcast just to get the top score, you can't really get any value doing the same with a movie.
So in that sense, it sort of make sense, i guess? Not that HM is that unique, once you remove the narrative and stylistic subtext though.

I'm not saying they're cowards or anything like that, i'm sure they're making it with the wellbeing of their fans in mind, which is cool, but it does make me wonder how important the scene is, if it can be removed and still have the full experience.

I'm of the opinion that all cutscenes in games should be skippable so I'm OK with it. Recently I've mostly ignored the story in shovel knight because it seems meh but the gameplay is good. The meat of this medium is gameplay IMO. I support their ability to make this scene though and unless the story was boring me I wouldn't skip it.

@megamerican: this will absolutely hurt the game's review scores. I don't think there's any doubt there and cactus likely anticipates that reaction.

Top Bottom