• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number | Review Thread

kudoboi

I REALLY don´t like the fact that only the PC version has been reviewed...

why not other platforms..? is there something to hide..?

probably because the PC version has a level editor and maybe, and i'm just assuming here, the developers felt the game feels more true to its nature with KB + M considering the original game came out on PC first.

Midnight Resistance - Andi Hamilton
Soderstrom and Wedin have said many times that this will be the last Hotline Miami game. In my interview with them over on PCGamer they said “This is the last Hotline Miami because we’re cramming everything we have in there. I don’t think we can take it any further after this.” That sums up this sequel nicely. They’ve put every idea they’ve had into this, and not all of them are that great. Following up one of the greatest action games ever made was always going to be tough, but in search of a greater scope - more weapons, more characters, more everything - what made the original so fucking good has been a bit lost.

The maps of the original game are legendary. Everyone who has played it can explain in great detail how they would run through Decadence, Tension, or one of the many other memorable stages. Hotline Miami 2 just doesn’t have that. I’ve finished the main game and have gotten stuck on some of the levels for a while, doing them over and over again and as I’m sat here right now, I can barely remember any details. It speaks volumes that in Hotline Miami, the level select screen shows a picture of the map you’re about to enter. Hotline Miami 2 does not.
In fact, most of the stages that are in the more traditional map style are when the game is at its best, regardless of the character you have to play as. When the game gets a bit more experimental with its map design, such as the levels set in Hawaii or the really quite poor level set on a boat, with its huge open plan swaths of land, is when you find yourself slowly edging forward, zooming the screen, seeking that one hidden guy with a gun like you’re playing Cannon Fodder and offing him from range. There’s no meaningful way to keep a combo going or find a flow through the stage without popping off a few rounds of the weapon he has and then switching to his knife when the enemies come to investigate the sound. It’s not very.. well, Hotline Miami.
As was the case with the original, Hotline Miami 2’s presentation a highlight. The whole thing looks like it has been recorded onto a broken VHS tape, with the screen skipping and jumping during pause screens and the rewind and fast forward prompts appearing as the story jumps backwards and forwards through the timeline. The soundtrack, somehow, is even better than the first one. Way more varied, with some guitar based tracks and some more ambient stuff alongside the ridiculous 80s’ synth tinged techno. Dennaton again show that in terms of creating an overall aesthetic and setting a particular atmosphere, they’re right up there with the best and outclass many AAA developers.
Nice to see some counterpoint reviews. Makes for a more interesting discussion.

Too bad to hear the rape scene is an absolute throwaway and is more for shock value.

Hanmik

probably because the PC version has a level editor and maybe, and i'm just assuming here, the developers felt the game feels more true to its nature with KB + M considering the original game came out on PC first.

the level editor is in ALPHA state in the PC version..

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Pretty sure I remember the devs saying a while back that the level editor would be on all platforms.

MUnited83

For you.

PC version doesn't have the level editor yet.

Moofers

I was so hoping I could check PSN before work and download this to my Vita for lunchtime, but alas only the original came up.

Pretty excited for this. I sure as hell don't need it since I just recently got Zombie Army Trilogy AND Dead or Alive 5: Last Round, but Hotline Miami is too sweet to pass up.

beanman25

About to stream this on twitch. No mic or anything though, just want to enjoy the experience. I never played the first one, so pardon if I'm bad.

Twitch.TV/beanman25

ScOULaris

The PC Gamer review focuses on the thing I wondered about being the big sticking point for detractors of this game: namely, the more restrictive nature of the set characters for each level. I think that's going to be a divisive change for some.

I actually really liked Only God Forgives, though, so hey!

I have been concerned about this design choice as well, but I figured that custom levels will solve that problem. It's fine to have a more rigid structure for the story campaign when you have a sea of custom levels to choose from. Then again, I'm extremely disappointed that they weren't able to include the Level Editor at launch. Really deflated my hype.

Seems the lower scores are all about gameplay choices.

No masks, and instead using various characters with unique perks and abilities. And the bigger stages.

Sounds like to me the reviewers weren't particularly good at the game in the first place, and the bigger levels and restrictions caused it to be even more difficult. So they didn't like it due to that.

Review scores are so ridiculous. I know I'm getting this because I enjoyed the first game, and yet I read over some of those scores and quotes in the OP and found myself doubting whether I should buy it.

I REALLY don´t like the fact that only the PC version has been reviewed...

why not other platforms..? is there something to hide..?

Many multiplatform games are reviewed on one platform or hardly looked at on other platforms than the one they review off of.

MUnited83

For you.
Review scores are so ridiculous. I know I'm getting this because I enjoyed the first game, and yet I read over some of those scores and quotes in the OP and found myself doubting whether I should buy it.

Guidelines for a happy gaming life: You shouldn't give a shit about reviews, outside of the reporting of technical issues.

One character carries a gun that can be switched for a knife at any time. He can't pick up dropped weapons at all, and if he runs out of ammo he needs to restock at scarce ammo crates. This turns Hotline Miami 2 into an entirely different game—and a worse one. Imagine the frustration of facing down an enemy that can only be wounded with bullets while playing as a character who is out of ammo but isn't, for some reason, allowed to use the guns that are right there. That's Hotline Miami 2.

wow what?! why would they do this?!

Orayn

Guidelines for a happy gaming life: You shouldn't give a shit about reviews, outside of the reporting of technical issues.

Why should you completely ignore complaints about the way a game is designed? You should read more than one or two and take them all with a grain of salt, sure, but if a review gives a detailed description of some game feature that sounds like it would really turn you off, I don't see why you shouldn't factor that into your purchasing decision.

Buying things without being informed doesn't give a person a "happy gaming life."

Druz

Except I loved the first game. I think the PCgamer review is really well spoken, but I'd buy it and play it anyway to have my own opinion. Enjoyed the first one too much to not find out for myself why number 2 "failed".

Gaz_RB

Kinda disappointed they didn't keep the short and sweet stage design. "Levels" don't really mesh with the way I feel the game is meant to be played.

Raptomex

Kinda disappointed they didn't keep the short and sweet stage design. "Levels" don't really mesh with the way I feel the game is meant to be played.
As long as there's a checkpoint system is this really a big deal? In the first game, some of the later levels took me a while anyway due to all the deaths.

I try not to bag on review content but...

"Hotline Miami 2 improves upon its predecessor in a way that is pleasing, but non-essential. And to get there, it undercut the one thing that made the original great. Hotline Miami was nasty, brutish, and short. Hotline Miami 2, sadly, is not."

Which of the three things they listed is the ONE thing that made the original great.

Gaz_RB

As long as there's a checkpoint system is this really a big deal? In the first game, some of the later levels took me a while anyway due to all the deaths.
Deaths is not what I'm referring to- I was reading a review that was talking about how the reviewer had to search a level for the last guy. I guess we'll have to wait and see how it actually plays out.

I try not to bag on review content but...

"Hotline Miami 2 improves upon its predecessor in a way that is pleasing, but non-essential. And to get there, it undercut the one thing that made the original great. Hotline Miami was nasty, brutish, and short. Hotline Miami 2, sadly, is not."

Which of the three things they listed is the ONE thing that made the original great.

I guess short lol? Since Hotline Miami clearly looks to be nasty and brutish.

The comparison to Only God Knows only makes me even more hyped.

Only God Forgives?

Maedhros

Wow... they fucked up this game? How is it possible? :(

The original is one of the best games I've ever played... I though they couldn't get this to be worse. Maybe more of the same.

But then, the reviews are saying other thing. I'll wait to get this now...

After really enjoying Driveclub and The Order and questioning how the fuck Mordor got GotY, I find myself paying less and less attention to mainstream games press.

Just sounds like a unique challenge (for better or worse). It's one character and all the masks/characters are there to allow you to play the game in different ways. There will always be ones that you prefer over others.

in miami 1 the butcher does play differently so it is not the end of the world. Still i would prefer to have little restriction during the most of the game.

eshwaaz

Fewer masks and multiple playable characters was always of concern to me. I'm not crazy about the larger levels and longer campaign, either.

I'll still buy it tonight, regardless. Gotta try it for myself. First game was so unique, satisfying and occasionally disturbing. Loved it.

The original is one of the best games I've ever played... I though they couldn't get this to be worse. Maybe more of the same.

Did you not read the majority of the reviews that are positive?

There is one bad review. If you liked the original I'd say this is worth £10, even if it's half as good as the first it will be money well spent.

How are you seeing that the game is fucked? The reviews are overwhelmingly positive, with one outlier.

guess ill wait for PS+

Why? Because of positive reviews?

Draft

That PC Gamer review effectively rips into a big problem with big sequels. Hotline: Miami is an arcade game draped in storytelling. Hotline: Miami 2 seems to jettison the arcade mechanic to double down on storytelling. Not what I'm looking for in more Hotline. First, it hampers my enjoyment of playing the game. Second, I'm always wary when a game with brief, focused storytelling is followed up by a game with long, detailed storytelling.

Reviews looking good. Interesting to see the complaints about length and size of levels. I didn't mind HM1 being quite short but I was left wanting more from it. As long as the soundtrack and gameplay is there I'm sure I'll love it. Not long to go now!

not much different than the biker stages in hm1

the biker was always a fun killing machine, with or without his flying knife. according to the review this character who has limited ammo and can not pick up guns...sounds not so good to be honest.

Top Bottom