• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami is freaking incredible

Gilby

I'm so happy to see Cactus finally getting some mainstream recognition!

Now go play his other games, they're all freeware!

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
It's a fantastic throwback and rewards you with as much as you put into it.
Been a while since I did some high score chasing and cutting corners and having that amazing flow of puzzling a level, but nothing has an exact right answer if you are fast enough or get a good weapon roll.

Amazingly good gameplay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qkgvs9h4W_Q

Fjordson

Definitely one of my favourite games this year. Quick and dirty gameplay that's a total blast and it's got such an awesome style to it. Both with the visuals and the soundtrack.

Oh WOW. This is awesome stuff. Any other similar recommendations aside from Hotline Miami artists?
Everyone on the Italians Do It Better label. Best in the business. Though some of their material is a bit more...pop sounding than Perturbator, it all has that 80's/Italo disco influence.

Chromatics

Desire

Symmetry

Kill For Love by Chromatics is one of the best albums this year. Real talk.

Apdiddy

I hated this game completely at first and I (still) think it's completely unfair.

But with more time I've spent with it, the more I love it.

It might be my GOTY.

.nimrod

Everyone on the Italians Do It Better label. Best in the business. Though some of their material is a bit more...pop sounding than Perturbator, it all has that 80's/Italo disco influence.

Chromatics

Desire

Symmetry

Kill For Love by Chromatics is one of the best albums this year. Real talk.

Also, watch Drive (2011) if you haven't already.
It's a lot more calm than Hotline Miami but features some of the above mentioned music and has some other similarities to HM.

The Hermit

Its hypnotically disturbing yes... Everything in this game is unsetling, from the guts spilled all over the place to the music.

Although I liked the gameplay, I have to admit I stop playing it, because it kinda made me feel nautious.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Yep, GOTY. And I'm not even kidding.

Came very close for me, TWD beat it out in the end. Sound, visuals, controls (save for the occasional hitbox glitch) everything was so tightly packed together that I both love it and barely remember it beyond a bunch of bodies at the end of each level. Incredible rush, but perhaps I should feel more conflicted about shooting, stabbing, bashing, slashing and otherwise ending the shit out of hundreds of people in miami in the 80s.

Neiteio

Came very close for me, TWD beat it out in the end. Sound, visuals, controls (save for the occasional hitbox glitch) everything was so tightly packed together that I both love it and barely remember it beyond a bunch of bodies at the end of each level. Incredible rush, but perhaps I should feel more conflicted about shooting, stabbing, bashing, slashing and otherwise ending the shit out of hundreds of people in miami in the 80s.
Well, it's fiction, of course, but even so the game seems to contemplate the horrors committed, which is refreshing. At the end of each level, you walk past the bodies of all the people you killed, and obviously not all is right in the protagonist's home life...

For me, the GOTY nod will probably go first to Kid Icarus Uprising, Sleeping Dogs, Resident Evil Revelations and Nintendo Land -- but I think Hotline Miami will slot comfortably into fifth place. Amazing for a game like this to come out of nowhere and be a chart-topper in my book.

This is why I love Hotline Miami

dEb1K.png

Neiteio

This is why I love Hotline Miami
Wow, I don't know why I didn't think of making a Super Meat Boy comparison when I wrote the OP. Hotline really is similar, in terms of repeatedly retrying, and each try lasting a few seconds, getting a bit farther each time. One feature I wish Hotline had, though, was the ability to watch a replay. By the time you master a hit, it's a thing of beauty, soaring through the level, obliterating everyone like a stone-cold killer.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
my personal game of the year as a subjective judgement, the most important game of the year as an objective judgement.

pure, distilled vision and infinite confidence in its execution. raw, crass and effortlessly cool, with more soul than an entire generation of AAA schlock. video gaming's pulp fiction.

Dachande

Think it could run on these specs?
RAM: 1gb
video card: mobile intel 945 express
chip type: GMA 950
memory: 250mb

break it to me softly

I doubt it. It was made in Gamemaker, which runs interpreted code, so it needs something with a little bit of heft. It doesn't run at full speed on my Ion nettop PC I use as my media centre which otherwise runs 1080p video fine.

DTKT

Good place to pimp this again:
http://perturbator.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-night

4lkfR.jpg

Free (PWYW) Album by Perturbator, who contributed 3 tracks to the OST.
Listen to 2., 9. and 10. to see if you'll like it. It's pretty goddamn good.

Oh yeah Hotline Miami rocks. The only game I'd call a "murder simulator".

EDIT After further listening I have to say my favourite track is actually 11.

ffuuucckk, that's good. Now, I'm going to buy 5 albums in the same genre.

So far, I have PowerGlove(if I can find a buy link somewhere), pertubator and I need mooare

Haxxor

Best played with a controller or mouse and keyboard? (have played it but not really getting 'it', the music is by far the best bit)

Top Bottom