• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami is freaking incredible

Good news and bad news guys
t6Kd7.png

so no wii version.

Give Com Truise a try, as well.
Everyone on the Italians Do It Better label. Best in the business. Though some of their material is a bit more...pop sounding than Perturbator, it all has that 80's/Italo disco influence.
Can I recommend Alden Tyrell, definitely Hollands finest together with I-F and Electronome:
Alden Tyrell - Rendezvous at Rimini
Alden Tyrell - Disco Lunar Module
Well, out of the Drive soundtrack, i'd say Kavinsky, too.

Testarossa Autodrive

Roadgame
Wow thanks guys, just gave me enough amazing new music to get through the holidays easily!

I've heard that Com Truise track somewhere, maybe on a trailer. Maybe it was Dredd? I remember the song though.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Still can't play it as its beyond hopelessly broken on windows 8 :(

Shaneus

I'm hoping for a IOS release along with FTL
It will be impossible to play this game on a touchscreen. Even with an iCade or something similar... it just wouldn't work. Your best bet for something consolized would be the potential PS3 (+ Vita?) version.

Vita version would be incredible. Then lots of people can see it being played on the train!

But those who don't, check out artists like:

you know, for starters :D

Holy moly, thanks for the Youtube links! Don't have Spotify down here so I'll start running through all the Bandcamps!

FGMPR

Banned
And glitchy enemies that use incredibly flaky, inconsistent AI.

The AI seemed pretty consistent to me. They were extremely easy to exploit once you figure out the range of the sound of gun shots.

I don't think I would change that about the game though. It's just part of the puzzle for me.

Been playing the last couple of hours. Just got up to the Part 2 questionaire bit. So far I am enjoying it, but the difficulty certainly doesn't fuck around. It is making me extremely frustrated now that I am at Ch5 (which seems to have dogs). I want to keep playing, but it is making me kind of angry. Don't think I have the patience...right now.

It's certainly an interesting game. I find the art style to be charmingly surreal. The violence is really raw. When I took the pot of boiling water and poured it on the downed enemy's face I was like wtf. Soundtrack is pretty fantastic as well.

Best of all it is giving me a Metal Gear vibe. There is a strategy to the game that is making me really think outside the box. The "ah ha!" moments when I figure a way to clear a difficult room is very rewarding. It's almost like a puzzle game.

I don't know what this complaint about janky control is about. I'm at chapter 9. playing with the x360 controller. really really good game. up there in terms of top tier fun games I've played 2012. great synergy of music, visuals and pixel gore. loving the
masks.

elektrixx

Banned
I don't know what this complaint about janky control is about. I'm at chapter 9. playing with the x360 controller. really really good game. up there in terms of top tier fun games I've played 2012. great synergy of music, visuals and pixel gore. loving the
masks.

It doesn't control like Geometry Wars when it should.

Is the OST available anywhere yet? Or are there even plans to make it happen?

it's out partly under the different artists pages, like under bandcamp, http://spacerecordings.bandcamp.com/album/hotline-miami-ep
http://music.musicofthemoon.com/album/moon-ep
http://scattle.bandcamp.com/album/hotline-miami-the-takedown-ep/

and you can atleast listen it all here:
https://soundcloud.com/devolverdigital/sets/hotline-miami-official

Is it worth playing on keyboard and trackpad? (aka a laptop)

attach a real mouse and you are good to go. using a trackpad is too slow! :D

Ledsen

I thought the enemies were extremely predictable, to the point where you could easily exploit their quirks to take out tons of guys quickly. Never encountered any glitches outside from the audio bug.

Is it worth playing on keyboard and trackpad? (aka a laptop)

No, you really need m+kb for this game. Precision aiming.

sonicmj1

I thought the enemies were extremely predictable, to the point where you could easily exploit their quirks to take out tons of guys quickly. Never encountered any glitches outside from the audio bug.

Guards that move in a pattern are usually pretty predictable, but you can't count on everyone responding the same way to the same set of actions. Random patterns will have guards opening doors and leaving rooms they'd otherwise stay in, and enemy response to weapon noise can be extremely inconsistent.

The game is fast-paced enough, and restarts are painless enough, that this isn't that much of a problem, but it is a little annoying.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thanks for the music list, awesome.
Does thinking of the game as a twitch action puzzler help? AI in this game to me is 'Walk in path, turn and shoot guy in FoV'.

Just R and go again :D

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Good place to pimp this again:
http://perturbator.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-night

4lkfR.jpg

Free (PWYW) Album by Perturbator, who contributed 3 tracks to the OST.
Listen to 2., 9. and 10. to see if you'll like it. It's pretty goddamn good.

Oh yeah Hotline Miami rocks. The only game I'd call a "murder simulator".

EDIT After further listening I have to say my favourite track is actually 11.
I should check it out, his songs "Miami disco" and "Electric dreams" are my favorite of the whole soundtrack.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Good place to pimp this again:
http://perturbator.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-night

4lkfR.jpg

Free (PWYW) Album by Perturbator, who contributed 3 tracks to the OST.
Listen to 2., 9. and 10. to see if you'll like it. It's pretty goddamn good.

Oh yeah Hotline Miami rocks. The only game I'd call a "murder simulator".

EDIT After further listening I have to say my favourite track is actually 11.

Holy crap, track 10 is RIDICULOUSLY BADASS.

Top Bottom