• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami is freaking incredible

Suairyu

Banned
I'd agree the AI can be far too random. It makes "perfecting" a run impossible, and often you will lose for no reason of your own, just the AI being completely unfair with some on one instance.

Kammie

Good place to pimp this again:
http://perturbator.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-night

4lkfR.jpg
OK, this guy got my money.

You guys are almost tempting me with Hotline... but I have such a huge backlog.... plus I'm jobless and still spending my money... I just can't do it. :(

FGMPR

Banned
I'd agree the AI can be far too random. It makes "perfecting" a run impossible, and often you will lose for no reason of your own, just the AI being completely unfair with some on one instance.

I'm really struggling with understanding this point of view. I found the AI to be super predictable in their actions towards certain things, mainly involving noise. The hitboxes can be dodgy, but what exactly is unfair and unpredicatable about the AI?

Suairyu

Banned
I'm really struggling with understanding this point of view. I found the AI to be super predictable in their actions towards certain things, mainly involving noise. The hitboxes can be dodgy, but what exactly is unfair and unpredicatable about the AI?
Noise if the biggest offender. Whether or not they hear gunshots seems to have no consistency to it, as they will be standing in the same place and I will fire the same weapon - whether they react or not seems up to chance.

They also might randomly leave a room they had been steadfastly patrolling for your last five attempts of a level.

They might refuse to go anywhere near that door you had been using to knock them down.

Even the distance at which they see you seems to change.

They are random, and I find it quite odd you are not experiencing any of the above.

On top of that, weapon placement is also randomised, so where you might have been using a knife on your first three attempts, suddenly you're stuck with a shotgun you don't want to use for fear of attracting attention. Beating a level comes down to as much luck of what elements are going to be there as it is skill. The comparisons to Super Meat Boy are bogus because Super Meat Boy doesn't change the level's behaviour between respawns.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
I actually loved the little hints of randomness in the game. Made me having to step up my game and be on my toes and prevent the game from just turning into a Simon Says memory puzzle game.

FGMPR

Banned
Noise if the biggest offender. Whether or not they hear gunshots seems to have no consistency to it, as they will be standing in the same place and I will fire the same weapon - whether they react or not seems up to chance.

They also might randomly leave a room they had been steadfastly patrolling for your last five attempts of a level.

They might refuse to go anywhere near that door you had been using to knock them down.

Even the distance at which they see you seems to change.

They are random, and I find it quite odd you are not experiencing any of the above.

On top of that, weapon placement is also randomised, so where you might have been using a knife on your first three attempts, suddenly you're stuck with a shotgun you don't want to use for fear of attracting attention. Beating a level comes down to as much luck of what elements are going to be there as it is skill. The comparisons to Super Meat Boy are bogus because Super Meat Boy doesn't change the level's behaviour between respawns.

It's kind of funny. I've beaten the game almost twice now, and I haven't noticed any of that. I found a good reading of how the range of gun shots work and use that to draw them out and blow them away, throwing the weapon as I run out of ammo and charging the rest, for example.

The weapon placement is definitely random, though. Trying to beat one of those bosses in particular was an absolute bitch waiting for the shotty to spawn, but overall, I felt like the AI was really easy to exploit, and even their patrol patterns I didn't find to be random or anything you are experiencing.

Strange...

Suairyu

Banned
I just fired up a level to confirm. I stood by the entrance. I died four times, each time by a completely different goon who had randomly decided to leave their area.

I'm not saying that this ruins the game. It's one of my favourite games in a while. It could just do with more reliable enemy behaviour.

Orayn

Thanks for the music list, awesome.

Does thinking of the game as a twitch action puzzler help? AI in this game to me is 'Walk in path, turn and shoot guy in FoV'.

Just R and go again :D

This is one of my problems with the game, actually. I don't care for the Super Meat Boy style of infinitely retrying, especially when success hinges upon the AI not randomly becoming all-seeing sniping gods for no reason.

FGMPR

Banned
I just fired up a level to confirm. I stood by the entrance. I died four times, each time by a completely different goon who had randomly decided to leave their area.

I'm not saying that this ruins the game. It's one of my favourite games in a while. It could just do with more reliable enemy behaviour.

Fair enough. I'll probably notice all of this now.

Thanks lol.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I enjoyed my time with the game, but after beating it have absolutely zero want to boot it back up again.

I had the same problem with FTL.

Loved both in the beginning, but after about 8hrs with them was completely done with them forever.

derExperte

This is one of my problems with the game, actually. I don't care for the Super Meat Boy style of infinitely retrying, especially when success hinges upon the AI not randomly becoming all-seeing sniping gods for no reason.

The randomness is the reason (not the only one of course) I love it. Wouldn't work for most other games but here it fits perfectly for some reason, if the enemies behaved too predictable the thrill would be lessend imo. Also the developer explained somehwere the intricacies of the AI, that it's all intentional and why he did it this way despite some drawbacks.

This is actually the only loved game of this year that I still haven't played, but after so many threads I'm going to risk the bugs and play it now. Too many comparisons to Spec Ops and K&L 2 in terms of playing fucked up characters and commentary on violent games had me wet.

How is 360 controller?

Ledsen

I enjoyed my time with the game, but after beating it have absolutely zero want to boot it back up again.

Loved both in the beginning, but after about 8hrs with them was completely done with them forever.

I wouldn't call enjoying something for 8 hours a "problem".

Fjordson

Yeah, feel the same. And if I'm being honest, I was sort of "ready" for it to be over by the time I was nearing the end. Still a blast first time through, though.

Haven't run into that with FTL. Only beat it once in two months :lol but I keep coming back to it.

UrbanRats

OK, this guy got my money.

You guys are almost tempting me with Hotline... but I have such a huge backlog.... plus I'm jobless and still spending my money... I just can't do it. :(

Backlog doesn't matter, as the game is easily finished in about 8 hours, 10 max, to get all the masks/real ending.

Holy crap, track 10 is RIDICULOUSLY BADASS.
Yep, i also dig track 9 and 15 (the bonus one) a LOT.

Neiteio

This is actually the only loved game of this year that I still haven't played, but after so many threads I'm going to risk the bugs and play it now. Too many comparisons to Spec Ops and K&L 2 in terms of playing fucked up characters and commentary on violent games had me wet.

How is 360 controller?
OP here. Controller support is superb (although I hear it wasn't always that way). I haven't played with KBM, but the 360 controller works great for what is effectively a twin-stick shooter/slasher. Run with left stick, aim with right stick, lock-on with R3. Left trigger picks up and throws items, right trigger uses weapon. There's very effective use of rumble, which really makes you jump when you're blasted by a shotgun offscreen, and if a bomb goes off your controller will shake (painfully so) for a minute. Very immersive, and for a game like this where twitch-reflexes have you tensing up, a proper controller works well. :)

Aucool

Op is absolutely right, this game is fantastic, and it's gameplay (thanks to an intelligent level design) is simply perfect. I'm loving also the soundtrack, I hope that it will be possible to buy it.

Good place to pimp this again:
http://perturbator.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-night

4lkfR.jpg

Free (PWYW) Album by Perturbator, who contributed 3 tracks to the OST.
Listen to 2., 9. and 10. to see if you'll like it. It's pretty goddamn good.

Oh yeah Hotline Miami rocks. The only game I'd call a "murder simulator".

EDIT After further listening I have to say my favourite track is actually 11.
I can't handle this.

holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiit

OP here. Controller support is superb (although I hear it wasn't always that way). I haven't played with KBM, but the 360 controller works great for what is effectively a twin-stick shooter/slasher. Run with left stick, aim with right stick, lock-on with R3. Left trigger picks up and throws items, right trigger uses weapon. There's very effective use of rumble, which really makes you jump when you're blasted by a shotgun offscreen, and if a bomb goes off your controller will shake (painfully so) for a minute. Very immersive, and for a game like this where twitch-reflexes have you tensing up, a proper controller works well. :)

Played 1 hour of it with controller, yeah getting blasted off by shotgun off-screen with controller rumble was amazing!

This game is pretty sick, on chapter 4. Will play rest tomorrow, doesn't seem very long. Thanks for the thread :)

Corky

Anyone know why I'm not getting steam achievements? I specifically enabled steamworks when asked.

Corky

Neiteio

I like to replace the tracks with Pepper Roach and Stains songs. Sometimes I get a little crazy and throw some Spitknots in there.
While I'm sort of in the "current soundtrack is sacred and untouchable" camp, I do wonder what it would be like to slay ruskies to the Yoshi's Story theme...

dab0ne

Wrong thinking, buy it now for PC and then again for the Vita! :D

And if he/them are working on a sequel already, i have serious doubts about a new port.

You're right. I had three dollars in my steam wallet and since it's only $5 right now I decided to take the plunge.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You are close-minded if you think it can't get even better.
It can, but it'd take a lot of effort. Perhaps mixing it with Bit.Trip Flux's soundtrack, a little bit of Rick Wakeman's keyboard magic and some of Alan Parsons Project's early instrumental tracks.

But that would be overkill, I think.

Top Bottom