• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami is freaking incredible

Ciastek3214

It can, but it'd take a lot of effort. Perhaps mixing it with Bit.Trip Flux's soundtrack, a little bit of Rick Wakeman's keyboard magic and some of Alan Parsons Project's early instrumental tracks.

But that would be overkill, I think.

We should make some Hotline Miami soundtrack of choice GAF edition.

tassletine

I just fired up a level to confirm. I stood by the entrance. I died four times, each time by a completely different goon who had randomly decided to leave their area.

I'm not saying that this ruins the game. It's one of my favourite games in a while. It could just do with more reliable enemy behaviour.

I don't think so because this is a shoot em up not a stealth game -- although it does have those elements. The random behaviour forces you to engage the enemy. It's more like Defender than Metal Gear.

REV 09

the music is fantastic and addicting. The game is just ok though. I'm really glad they added controller support. didn't realize that, but hopped back in and it just controls so much better now than it did at release.

Got this last night and played through the first mission until the game shit itself with scripting errors. Can't say I'm enjoying it so far, but I'll give it another try tonight. I hope it clicks, seems like you all are having fun.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Got this last night and played through the first mission until the game shit itself with scripting errors. Can't say I'm enjoying it so far, but I'll give it another try tonight. I hope it clicks, seems like you all are having fun.

Turning on "alienware" ( whatever that's supposed to be ) gave me continuous errors.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
F
U
C
K

patch didn't fix windows 8 shit performance.

Faulting application name: HotlineMiami.exe, version: 1.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x2a425e19
Faulting module name: dmsynth.dll, version: 6.2.9200.16384, time stamp: 0x5010a507

every fucking time I play this game for more than 10 minutes. god damnit fix this shit.

J-Tier

I played this last night. It's fun. But man do I get stressed out while playing it, it's the music. Great soundtrack, but some of the tunes can be unnerving for me.

black_13

Banned
Fucking great game! Violent as balls and every bit as good as the OP described.

Soundtrack just makes it even better. Thanks for all the artist links.

Hope it gets ported to PSN. Would love to try it with the controller.

emag

Please tell me how, i really want to put an Hans Zimmer score in the game.

The Steam[works] version glitched out on me so that the music doesn't play at all, although sound effects remain. How about that?

I played through the first three chapters before another bug sent me to the title screen. Without the music carrying the game, there's really nothing here -- it's like a shitty 90s Newgrounds version of Metal Gear. $5 down the drain.

Neiteio

I have no idea what to do on this one. Kill everyone I can and the only way to go is bomb room.
Here's a hint: Give the bomb your best shot.

Here's the answer:
Fire into the bomb room from a safe distance using a strong shotgun, like the 2/2. The shells will penetrate the door, iirc.

yeah, it only slows down to a crawl during a stealth mission that is awful :D
Eh, that stealth mission is a short two-floor affair that doesn't even constitute a numbered mission, if I'm not mistaken.

kvothe

The Steam[works] version glitched out on me so that the music doesn't play at all, although sound effects remain. How about that?

I played through the first three chapters before another bug sent me to the title screen. Without the music carrying the game, there's really nothing here -- it's like a shitty 90s Newgrounds version of Metal Gear. $5 down the drain.

Yeah, the music is pivotal, but you're wrong about it being shite without it.

Neiteio

I disagree. You can turn off the music and the wildly addictive, twitchy twin-stick action and incremental progress toward a full-string sweep remains. The core appeal of the game is its "just one more try" mentality that turns into 100 tries, and the empowering sense of ice-cold brutality that comes with hard-earned mastery of a level, so that you soar through it like a death-dealing figure skater carving trails of blood. :)

Nabs

restart your computer

Apdiddy

Fucking great game! Violent as balls and every bit as good as the OP described.

Soundtrack just makes it even better. Thanks for all the artist links.

Hope it gets ported to PSN. Would love to try it with the controller.

As someone who hated the game at first, I actually don't recommend using a controller with this. After I switched to keyboard + mouse, I started to enjoy the game a lot more. If it does get ported to PSN (or even XBLA?), I hope that the team doing the game first works on making it optimized for controllers.

Glix

Wait, is this good with the XBOX pad????

I didn't even think to try it/didn't think it was supported!

I can't wait to get home (I play at work, but no pad here, lol)

BESTEST GAME and it runs on anything woot!

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Hmm... I keep seeing this tooltip but exactly which walls can you shoot through? A chapter would be great so I can try it out.

emag

I disagree. You can turn off the music and the wildly addictive, twitchy twin-stick action and incremental progress toward a full-string sweep remains. The core appeal of the game is its "just one more try" mentality that turns into 100 tries, and the empowering sense of ice-cold brutality that comes with hard-earned mastery of a level, so that you soar through it like a death-dealing figure skater carving trails of blood. :)

When does the difficulty spike? The few chapters that I played were a cakewalk.

Neiteio

Hmm... I keep seeing this tooltip but exactly which walls can you shoot through? A chapter would be great so I can try it out.
Can't name which chapters have them, but any gun can pierce a glass wall, and shotguns can pierce wooden barricades.

Dachande

Yes, you may prefer it on a pad. I do, others do. Just depends on the person.

End game spoilers
So huh, I suppose this means the game has multiple endings. You kill the hitman before the final chapter as the biker dude, that YOU kill as the hitman....Seems like there are so codes hidden, I suppose that's what the owl mask is for.

I'm playing with a pad, it works great since it's a twin stick shooter and you get awesome use of rumble.

finished.

probably one of my top 10 games this year - if I have 10 that is; considering how little games I've played. Its challenging but its well worth it.

amazing game. from start to finish with a great look that is very much its own, and ... amazing.

buy it.

As someone who hated the game at first, I actually don't recommend using a controller with this. After I switched to keyboard + mouse, I started to enjoy the game a lot more. If it does get ported to PSN (or even XBLA?), I hope that the team doing the game first works on making it optimized for controllers.

played it all the way through on the x360 controller. no issues here.

This game is so, so good! Just reached Part 3 and this game is the right amount of everything I like in video games. The scoring, the twitch reflexes, the damn music, the oddness and tripiness, the retro graphics and of course feel, the 80's everything. Ugh! Cacuts saw into my mind and made the game that I want to play.

Also, bravo to the OP for such a well-written and creative synopsis.

Neiteio

I really dig how the retro graphics actually make sense here, too. Hotline Miami is set in an alternate reality 1980s, so go figures it looks like a videogame from that time (albeit warped and twisted like a murderer's psyche). It just feels appropriate, not only in terms of its arcade game sensibility but also in terms of the texture of the time period it represents -- a bit raw, if you would; both rundown and gaudy. Yet the gameplay is quick, spontaneous, and mechanically taut -- nothing clunky or antiquated there. :)

Perkel

Banned
20/10
GOTY

Seriously any gamer missing this game is not a gamer to me.

This game is just so good that i .... 6h one sitting ... 1:00am to 7:00am.

Every little mechanic here is so polished that almost any AAA game will feel after that as junky mess.

demidar

Just got the secret ending. Huh, I don't get the hate, it's just a little strange. Great game, wasn't as hard as I thought though, good 5 hours and well worth the money.

Beepos

Despite if you even hated the game, the soundtrack is easily worth the small price.

Amazing tunes that fit perfectly the atmosphere of Hotline.

Top Bottom