• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

Jubbly

Note from GetGames for their pre-order customers:

Our exclusive EXPOsed level isn't quite ready yet as we still need to clean the blood off the floor from its showing at the Eurogamer EXPO! We'll be sending it out as soon as its ready.

When the full game is released you will automaticly have it added to your steam account if you have activated this key.

Mouse and keyboard controls are really tight. Gameplay is very fast and levels are designed to be replayable since from very near the start I started to fail a lot.

Made me think of Dreamweb.

Dreamweb was the first thing that came to mind for me too but once I played it, it seems to have more of a Take No Prisoners vibe to it.

Absolutely loving it at the moment, 2 hours in and on chapter 10, I think the developers owe me a new 'r' key though.

Also, mouse & keyboard is THE way to play this.

Katzii

I'm sure keyboard and mouse is the way to go and it worked really well when I played at Eurogamer, but I just don't have the setup for a mouse (nor do I own one for gaming with).

I'll continue waiting on a controller patch.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
- Broken controller 'support'
- "A newer version of Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable has been detected on the machine." bug every time I boot (how the fuck is that a bug?).
- Error report then crash in the Prelude level.
- No mouse sensitivity options.

Great start.

Sort of my had my eye on this but I think the launch trailer sold me. What the fuck at that amazing thing.

Incidentally I know it's 2012 because indie PC games have live-action launch trailers.

geestack

Man, this game is amazing. Very addictive, feels like a twin stick shooter, which is why I wish it had controller support working. I suck terribly with the keyboard and mouse, but it's designed to be replayed a lot, so hopefully I can adapt. But man, when you pull off a string of kills with the music playing.... feels good.

Raptomex

I really hope this game easily supports modding. User created levels and such. Looks like it has potential.

Have you never played games with somewhat similar controls on PC? I mean, you could prefer the controller, I might too when it's up and running since I don't know how they handle that yet, but it still feels and plays great with mouse and keyboard.

You seem to be in the minority. It might feel great to me, don't know, but I gotta make the investment to find out, so I'm hedging my bets based on the fact that I already have plenty else to play.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I used to play the shit out of Tapan Kaikki back in the day, but I think modern twin stick shooters have spoiled me. Unlike a first or third person shooter, there's little to no inherent advantage to mouse aiming over twin sticks, and I'd definitely prefer the latter in this case.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
You seem to be in the minority. It might feel great to me, don't know, but I gotta make the investment to find out, so I'm hedging my bets based on the fact that I already have plenty else to play.
Well, nobody has played it with a controller to say it's better with it, so I don't know if I'm in the minority.

The majority is also padded by that one guy who didn't have a mouse, only touchpad or whatever.

You didn't answer if you've played games with similar controls so I'll assume that's a no, try the free game I linked (turn off Inertia in the options though, since HOTLINE MIAMI doesn't have such) and see if you can get comfortable with the style.

Of course the gameplay is different, only the controls are similar. HOTLINE MIAMI isn't as hectic or in a simple arena, you need planning and some stealth as well, while there are many melee weapons and ammo is limited, while you throw any weapon you currently hold with right click. Other differences are that when enemies get knocked down (via thrown weapons or punches or whatever) you press space to grab them then again mouse click for fatalities. You can also press the middle mouse button (or wherever you bind that on your mouse) to lock on the enemy under your cursor. That's mostly it, the basic controls are the same.

Ooh, Tapan Kaikki... Maybe HOTLINE MIAMI could have a hardcore mode that adds the line of sight... It could be impossible though.

Well, nobody has played it with a controller to say it's better with it, so I don't know if I'm in the minority.

The majority is also padded by that one guy who didn't have a mouse, only touchpad or whatever.

You didn't answer if you've played games with similar controls so I'll assume that's a no, try the free game I linked (turn off Inertia in the options though, since HOTLINE MIAMI doesn't have such) and see if you can get comfortable with the style.

Of course the gameplay is different, only the controls are similar. HOTLINE MIAMI isn't as hectic or in a simple arena, you need planning and some stealth as well, while there are many melee weapons and ammo is limited, while you throw any weapon you currently hold with right click. Other differences are that when enemies get knocked down (via thrown weapons or punches or whatever) you press space to grab them then again mouse click for fatalities. You can also press the middle mouse button (or wherever you bind that on your mouse) to lock on the enemy under your cursor. That's mostly it, the basic controls are the same.

Ooh, Tapan Kaikki... Maybe HOTLINE MIAMI could have a hardcore mode that adds the line of sight... It could be impossible though.

Why do you care so much? If it means that much to you gift me a copy and I'll promise I'll play it tonight and put my 2 cents in.

I won't play the game you linked because I'd rather play the games I want to play.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Oh shiet, I care so too much I discuss on a forum. Christ, man. What I said amounts to don't knock it until you try it and I gave you something that controls similarly to try, if you wanted. I'm so sorry, lol. I like the game and its controls and discussed it just as those who didn't like the controls discussed that. Oh no, that's totally subliminally trying to convince you not to play with mouse and keyboard! I'm sure when/if some others like (or hate) the game and its gamepad controls they will make posts about that too. It's not to convince you, it's what the forum is for, discussion. I don't see much of a difference here, other than that I happen to have a different opinion instead of just go all, oh yeah, I totally agree, I'll do the same, you should too, etc. Again, I'm sorry (not really).

Well I bought it.

M+K are totally fine. Controller might be better, I don't know, but it's certainly serviceable.

Game is also awesome. Everything about it just screams cool. It's basically Drive: The Video Game.

Also some achievements may or may not be broken, can't tell if they're counting up on the steam page.

geestack

My pinky hurts from holding down shift the whole time :/

Also I'm stuck.

4th or 5th mission spoiler
There is a room that blows up whenever I enter it. Not sure what to do...

I was stuck on that part too, try this:

Shoot the door with a gun at a distance, it should blow up the room with you far away from it

Beaten

I was stuck on that part too, try this:

Shoot the door with a gun at a distance, it should blow up the room with you far away from it

Beaten

Totally bugged.
I've dumped 3 machine guns into both doors.

I'll restart the level.

Edit:
You have to use the shotgun ahhh.

And then the floor disappeared lol.

Is GoG the best place to grab this since I can't seem to get it straight from devs?
what do you mean by best? they probably get the same percentage regardless of steam or gog, or that ex-eurogamer shop. but you get an extra level with that last option, even if it isn't available yet. that one is a steam key. edit: oh, saw the list of other places to get as well in the OP now. most are steam keys.

EatChildren

I think they patched out the options screen?

Raptomex

I finally got a chance to watch the launch trailer. That's awesome. I already pre-ordered the game but that would have sold me otherwise.

Tokubetsu

what do you mean by best? they probably get the same percentage regardless of steam or gog, or that ex-eurogamer shop. but you get an extra level with that last option, even if it isn't available yet. that one is a steam key. edit: oh, saw the list of other places to get as well in the OP now. most are steam keys.

Went with GoG anyway, wanted a great quality copy of that poster. Sucks about the options menu being gone?

EatChildren

They said they were going to quickly patch out the controller settings and then fix it as fast as possible. So it's gone for a bit.

Cool, makes sense. I think I'm going to hold off playing more until it's patched in, or they say they cant/wont patch it in. I'm really not enjoying the mouse+keyboard controls at all. My brain is too shit, and struggles with the relativity when moving the mouse away from the character. I've died so many times because I didn't realise my mouse was so far away, and thus I couldn't turn as sharply.

Krabboss

Been playing it for a bit. No tearing issues, but I did have one crash to desktop.

I like it so far. It's very fast paced with a gameplay philosophy similar to Super Meat Boy's. The music is really good too.

It controls perfectly with a keyboard and mouse too, by the way.

Cool, makes sense. I think I'm going to hold off playing more until it's patched in, or they say they cant/wont patch it in. I'm really not enjoying the mouse+keyboard controls at all. My brain is too shit, and struggles with the relativity when moving the mouse away from the character. I've died so many times because I didn't realise my mouse was so far away, and thus I couldn't turn as sharply.

Have you tried locking on? Just click in on your mouse wheel. It's super useful if there is just one dude standing in a room or around a corner and you just pop out and blow him away. Those are the instances that free aiming really fucks me over. If I just have to stand in front of a door and shoot everyone that enters then it's easy.

ScOULaris

I'm loving the game, but I'll be damned if this game couldn't have used another few weeks of testing. Without a doubt one of the most severely bug-ridden games I've ever played. Even after the patch, I have had an error pop up twice with options to Ignore or Abort. If I choose ignore, it will keep popping up indefinitely. If I choose Abort, the game closes and I lose my progress on the level. Either way it's completely game-breaking and ridiculous.

Is anyone else having these same issues?

Spookie

I've had it crash twice in the time it took me to complete it. I've played far buggier games than this.

Right finished it and I still don't understand the story, I guess I'm too tired for it to make a lick of sense.

ScOULaris

I've had it crash twice in the time it took me to complete it. I've played far buggier games than this.

Right finished it and I still don't understand the story, I guess I'm too tired for it to make a lick of sense.

I'd say I've run into those game-breaking error pop-ups about four times so far, and I'm only halfway through the game. I had to restart the entire level from the beginning every time.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This game is a fuckin' triumph. This is basically everything an indie game should be, and it's a shame more people aren't talking about it.

epmode

I'm loving the game, but I'll be damned if this game couldn't have used another few weeks of testing. Without a doubt one of the most severely bug-ridden games I've ever played. Even after the patch, I have had an error pop up twice with options to Ignore or Abort. If I choose ignore, it will keep popping up indefinitely. If I choose Abort, the game closes and I lose my progress on the level. Either way it's completely game-breaking and ridiculous.

Is anyone else having these same issues?

I made it through two or three chapters with no problems, sorry.

ScOULaris

I just discovered another little "quirk" with this game. If you start a mission, select "Yes" to start with the intro, and then quit out of the mission, the game will unlock the next stage automatically. You could theoretically get to the last stage without ever playing a single one!

That's gotta be a glitch.

I played through it in two sittings and finished it in just under 5 hours. I'd say that about 75% of the game is fantastic, and it feels so satisfying to play. The whole grimy setting with vibrant colors aesthetic really stood out. The OST complimented that vibe as well, and it might even be my favorite thing about the game.

My only problem is that the game felt like it hit a big difficulty spike in the final third near the
Trauma level
. Beforehand, the game handled the balancing of enemy placement and you dying in one hit quite well. Near instant respawns helps the game immensely as well. But once the game starts throwing tons of enemies with guns into a level with plenty of windows near the end, it became less about experimenting and more about, "Well, let's hope for the best."

Thankfully, it wasn't enough to really hurt my experience, since I do think it's a great game and everything else about it meshes together so well. The story didn't make much sense to me though which isn't really a bad thing in the grand scheme of things.

SparkTR

I'm loving the game so far, it gets pretty fucking intense. This and Giana Sisters really surprised me this week.

DocSeuss

I want to buy this so much, but I can't justify the expense, since I need things like food and gas. Is there anywhere I can pick up the entire OST when I get some cash?

Top Bottom