• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

Archurro

I'm on the edge, considering whether to get it on Amazon right now(for which I have some credit) or wait until it gets cheaper/patched. Is it worth it?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Played it a bit this evening, and I really like it. I just finished April of 1989 and am moving into May. I like that it's pretty open in how I go about killing everyone. Sure the game says to be careful when using guns because they alert guards, but I said screw it in one level, and just went with my machine gun. Got a nice quintuple kill for my troubles. :p It's nice that the game encourages players to give some thought as to how they go about taking down enemies.

Anyone know how I score flexibility, and what it's for? I always get zero on that at the end of a level.

Raptomex

Played it a bit this evening, and I really like it. I just finished April of 1989 and am moving into May. I like that it's pretty open in how I go about killing everyone. Sure the game says to be careful when using guns because they alert guards, but I said screw it in one level, and just went with my machine gun. Got a nice quintuple kill for my troubles. :p It's nice that the game encourages players to give some thought as to how they go about taking down enemies.

Anyone know how I score flexibility, and what it's for? I always get zero on that at the end of a level.
Same here. I always get zero for flexibility as well.

ScOULaris

So what does everyone think about the fact that you can skip every level by loading the chapter and then quitting out? I don't know why, but this particular glitch really annoys me.

DagsJT

So what does everyone think about the fact that you can skip every level by loading the chapter and then quitting out? I don't know why, but this particular glitch really annoys me.

It's a glitch that will be fixed (if it hasn't already for the upcoming patch), it's not a major issue that destroys the game forever.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
This one is a must get!
for the Christmas sale

takua108

Neo Member
Finished the game in two sittings, it's pretty rad. Now I just need to find all those goddamn secret letters, or wait for someone to like post a save file with everything unlocked...
because I need to see what's on that computer at the end

ScOULaris

It's a glitch that will be fixed (if it hasn't already for the upcoming patch), it's not a major issue that destroys the game forever.

Have the devs stated somewhere that they are working on a fix for that? As far as I know, I'm the only person who ever mentioned it.

takua108

Neo Member
So I figured out how to unlock all the letters on your save file, without having to backtrack and find all the secret purple square thingies...
just replace line 4 of saves.dat with 1111111111111111
. Now to figure out what it means...

EDIT: Okay, got the password, and put it in the computer on the mission. It explains a little more, but not really at all. Neither that nor
the mask you get
isn't worth the trouble, but feel free to check it out if you're curious. Or, if you're a super-filthy cheater,
just change the last line of saves.dat from a 0 to a 1

DagsJT

Have the devs stated somewhere that they are working on a fix for that? As far as I know, I'm the only person who ever mentioned it.

Not specifically for that AFAIK, just that they're working on a number of bugs and hope to have a patch out today. Have you reported the bug to them?

MDSLKTR

Soundtrack of the year.
Game of the year.
So visceral. Any reason no one ever mentioned in the previews that it's made by the serious sam people? Might get it more exposure idk

Miker

Soundtrack of the year.
Game of the year.
So visceral. Any reason no one ever mentioned in the previews that it's made by the serious sam people? Might get it more exposure idk

I think it's published by the Serious Sam dudes, not made by them.

R1CHO

Seems pretty cool, but i cant play this game, the graphics give me a headache... maybe when they patch the controller support i would try it again, sitting farther from the screen.

IronRinn

Played into May last night. Game is great but hard enough where I'm not sure I have the skill to get to the ending. Will have to wait and see but by "Tension" it was already starting to feel like it might be out of my league. If I do get to the end I may wind up using that save hack. Doubt I'm going to want to go through looking for secrets. Soundtrack is absolutely amazing. Just unbelievably good. Game is worth it for that alone.

Edit: Found this. Not sure if that's all the songs or not. It does have Deep Cover though. Damn I love that song.

Edit 2: Seems like the full tracklist has ~23 songs? So better just to look for them in the game install folder. *Goes back to listening to Deep Cover*

Yeah it was published by Devolver Digital, not developed.

Devolver Digital is currently the company that publishes Serious Sam (Developed by Croteam, always has been). DD is just a publisher, and they are cool folks who I met with during GDC this year.

SS used to be published by Gathering of Developers/Gotham Games, brands under the Take Two umbrella. Funny thing is Devolver Digital is made up of ex-Take Two employees.

Zia

In addition to what Heart of Black said: Devolver Digital was co-founded by Mike Wilson, the Gamecock guy / John Romero archnemesis. It seems he's finally found his niche and is doing a clever job of promoting some good indie games without all the rockstar nonsense. The most outrageous aspect of the whole venture is the Twitter account of Devolver CFO, Fork Parker. His most recent tweet reads:

That last tweet was brought to you by EA's amazing new Medal of Honor: Warfighter™ 10/10 #YOLO #teamfollowback #bonerz

They're also publishing Luftrausers, which looks just as good.

The game itself is by Jonatan "cactus" Söderström and artist Dennis Wedin as Dennaton. Despite being around forever, it's actually cactus's first commercial game and I'd always assumed he was perfectly fine working on his experimental games, but he seems to be really proud of Hotline Miami.

I'm tempted to buy it. That soundtrack alone is worth 60$

Any info who did soundtrack ?

Here's Jasper Byrne's (Lone Survivor) contribution to the soundtrack: http://spacerecordings.bandcamp.com/album/hotline-miami-ep. Also, a Venus Patrol piece about the OST. I admittedly was putting off buying it so I could play the IGF build to decide if I need to purchase (I'm bad), so I don't know anything else about the music.

The game itself is by Jonatan "cactus" Söderström and artist Dennis Wedin as Dennaton. Despite being around forever, it's actually cactus's first commercial game and I'd always assumed he was perfectly fine working on his experimental games, but he seems to be really proud of Hotline Miami.

I wonder if this will be a turning point for cactus and we'll start seeing more commercial work he's involved in. Probably depends on how successful Hotline Miami is.

Good to see your ban was lifted quickly, by the way.

Zia

I wonder if this will be a turning point for cactus and we'll start seeing more commercial work he's involved in. Probably depends on how successful Hotline Miami is.

Good to your ban was lifted quickly, by the way.

Thanks! I hope it is a turning point. Given how little development time this had (I'm not sure about a specific timeframe, I just remember that it wasn't very long at all), I think he's capable of some special things when he puts his head down and gets to it. I would love to see Tuning or Brain Damaged Tune Underworld completed.

Haunted

So it's a great game marred by some annoying tech issues (controller support broken, no resolution options, no windowed mode, Steam achievements broken, no Steam overlay support)?

Shame, but I'm tempted to jump on board as soon as they fix this stuff and let me get to that sweet game that's apparently in there somewhere.

Got to chapter 5 and found one secret so far, I find myself throwing weapons and not using guns. Think I must be sick or something... also whats the sub title to the thread about? kind of nonsensical to me. Should be GTA meets Drive meets Manhunt.

Raptomex

Are they working on a patch as we speak? I thought yesterday they said they were working on a controller patch?

fushi

Just been twiddling my thumbs, waiting for the game to go live on GOG.com. Anyway, I'm pretty sure my night's going to involve a lot of drinking and a lot of this game.
The thing with this game is that it is so intense, all the time, that you might not be able to handle long playsessions. I found it really hard to play this game for longer than an hour, for example, because it just got too much for my nerves to handle.

Different strokes of course.

Jubbly

I don't see how a controller can be sufficiently responsive for this game. For example, bursting into a room I had to swing my weapon three times in a split second to take out the enemies inside, with any delay or mistake resulting in death.

The travel time of a X360 controller button is significantly longer than that of a mouse click, so I don't see how it would be possible to hit grade A rankings beyond the initial few levels using a controller, or to survive using melee weapons.

I could be completely wrong, and am happy to admit as much if you can prove otherwise, but that's my initial reaction having owned a 360 and a Wired Windows X360 controller for some years.

The thing with this game is that it is so intense, all the time, that you might not be able to handle long playsessions. I found it really hard to play this game for longer than an hour, for example, because it just got too much for my nerves to handle.

Different strokes of course.

Yeah it gets too you after awhile. Might play some more tomorrow.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah it gets too you after awhile. Might play some more tomorrow.
Honestly, that's probably my favorite thing about it. I played like an hour after some relentless drinking, and by the end of it, I was freaking the fuck out... In a good way.

I think the best way to describe this game is Super Meat Boy, but with murder instead of jumping.

BioHazard

Continuing a game is weird.

You can either start a new game entirely or go to level select. So, in level select you would think the level you are on is the most recently unlocked one. But, I finished chapter 3 (I think) and chapter 4 AND 5 are unlocked instead of just 4, so one would thing to start on 5 and would end up skipping an entire chapter. Very strange, a bug maybe?

Raptomex

You can either start a new game entirely or go to level select. So, in level select you would think the level you are on is the most recently unlocked one. But, I finished chapter 3 (I think) and chapter 4 AND 5 are unlocked instead of just 4, so one would thing to start on 5 and would end up skipping an entire chapter. Very strange, a bug maybe?
I think so. You should be able to know what level your on based on your scores I think. It should display your score for each level/chapter.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't see how a controller can be sufficiently responsive for this game. For example, bursting into a room I had to swing my weapon three times in a split second to take out the enemies inside, with any delay or mistake resulting in death.

The travel time of a X360 controller button is significantly longer than that of a mouse click, so I don't see how it would be possible to hit grade A rankings beyond the initial few levels using a controller, or to survive using melee weapons.

I could be completely wrong, and am happy to admit as much if you can prove otherwise, but that's my initial reaction having owned a 360 and a Wired Windows X360 controller for some years.

RB/LB would do the trick.

how the eff do you
beat the guy in the bike helmet?, he just comes at me with a knife and fucks my shit upside down

You can only hurt him after he throws his blade and runs to pick it up. Do that 2/3 times and you're done. Just keep out of the way the rest of the time.

Yep. There's a confirmed bug where if you start a level & quit, the next level unlocks for you.

Ionic

Has anybody started
collecting the scrabble pieces
? I think there is something to do with the end of the game with them.
I think the password on the computer at the end is found by forming the word the pieces make.

Spoilers about secrets and end of game.

Top Bottom