• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

Coconut

Banned
Alright I spent my lunch watching videos of cactus games and I still don't understand what you mean so just tell me what you are implying.

So glad I bought this game. It's incredibly fun. Quick question, though: what are the secrets the Rasmus mask allows you to see? I've only used it once or twice but I didn't seem to notice any difference.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
So glad I bought this game. It's incredibly fun. Quick question, though: what are the secrets the Rasmus mask allows you to see? I've only used it once or twice but I didn't seem to notice any difference.
It lets you see the puzzle pieces more easily (makes them shimmer). Collecting them is necessary for
the secret ending.

SuperHans

Absolutely brilliant game. I'm on the final chapter now but have one massive gripe.

The Final boss is absolute bullshit.
I managed to kill the two panthers and the ninja girl but can get the final guy. Once I managed to hit him with one knife but no you need to hit him with two.
It wouldn't be half as annoying if every time you restarted you had to listen to his little spiel.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Absolutely brilliant game. I'm on the final chapter now but have one massive gripe.

The Final boss is absolute bullshit.
I managed to kill the two panthers and the ninja girl but can get the final guy. Once I managed to hit him with one knife but no you need to hit him with two.
It wouldn't be half as annoying if every time you restarted you had to listen to his little spiel.

I felt the same way, until I realized the easy way to beat him.
He can't hit you, when you're behind the statues (fountain, whatever it is).

Jarnet87

Bought it during Steam Sale, game is a ton of fun. I just got to chapter 11. I get kind of frustrated with it so I like to take the game a chapter at a time lol.

LakeEarth

Got through PS+, I see why everyone loves it. I was marathoning it pretty hard until, through an unfortunate sequence, kept getting insta-killed at respawn. Accidentally went up stairs when a swat guy was right in front of me, so when I go back down the stairs, he was right there to kill me. I kept respawning and dying, and did it again and again until the game froze.

I will come back to it, but I hate that kind of shit.

Finally beat the game on Vita after putting it down a couple months ago. Had to redo some levels to get some puzzle pieces, but got the secret ending and another gold trophy. I had beaten the game on Steam a while ago, felt good to play again with the Vita's sticks.

Ricker

One of the fastest free games on the Vita that I uninstalled,what the hell is up with the controls and difficulty of this, couldnt even get pass the first room,awful controls...not for me I guess,music sounded awesome though.

katkombat

Banned
One of the fatest free games on the Vita that I uninstalled,what the hell is up with the controls and difficulty of this, couldnt even get pass the first room,awful controls...not for me I guess,music sounded awesome though.

it is extremely hard to play on console for me too. if you have a decent pc id suggest that.

LakeEarth

You're supposed to die a lot in this game. It's a trial and error kind of game. Come up with plan of attack, die, adjust plan, die, adjust plan, die, repeat until you win.

As for controls, I can't speak of the Vita version. On the PS3 it isn't bad, takes a little getting used to. Plus there's that lock on feature when you got 1 guy in the room to take out.

Restart the level?
Well yeah, but I would rather the game not allow stuff like that to happen. At least it was only level 10, which wasn't that hard to re-do once I realized the SWAT guys were unkillable.

Picked this up on PS + last night. My god, I didn't know what I was in for.

First of all, the soundtrack is soo good, one of the best I have ever heard. I have a song bumping from my TV while typing this and it sounds fantastic.

On top of the incredible soundtrack, the gameplay is really great as well. I just finished Part 2 (Chapter 7) and faced what I believe to have been
the first boss. It was the guy wearing a helmet that slashes and throws his knife
Very fun finish to the most difficult chapter yet.

Overall, fantastic game so far. Playing on PS3 and I have no gripes with the controls whatsoever

danmaku

Take your time and use the look around button a lot. Use melee weapons to avoid attracting more enemies, if you don't have one you can always throw your gun to stun an enemy and then finish him quickly. Don't run around like a maniac, the game rewards you for being fast and crazy, but you need to memorize the whole level perfectly to do so, and even if you do you can still die because there's a bit of randomness in the enemies' movements. Also, search the levels for the extra masks, some of them are very useful (the giraffe gives you great vision, the elephant allows you to survive a bullet etc.).

I just beat the game with the normal ending and I can't say I feel like collecting the puzzle pieces to complete the game.

The game was ok gameplay wise at first, but you grow tired of it quickly and at the end it felt like it dragged. And some of the boss fights are just pure bullshit and that stealth mission is laughably bad.

An alright, but frustrating game living alot on the aestethics and music. Lots of potential for the followup. I give this game 3 cumstained socks out of 5. And it's 3 weak socks.

edit: I forgot to mention the shitty controls on PS3 and Vita. They never feel natural and I pressed wrong buttons many times in intense situations.

:( I'm having a technical problem with this game and wondered if anyone else had experience the same? My game keeps crashing randomly and giving the message HotlineGL.EXE has stopped working. A Google search turned up only two results, which suggested updating graphic drivers and setting the game to compatibility mode with XP SP3, both of which I've done.

I've managed to get to chapter two through sheer perseverance, but I've probably had to restart the game 30+ times to get that far. It's really annoying. I bought it through GOG so may have to try to get my money back on it :(

I should mention I'm playing the updated version. I haven't tried the original version yet.

Consumer

Gonna start this game later today on my Vita, but I've been idling at the main menu for the last 2+ hours just listening to the title screen soundtrack with headphones on while I do other shit.

Hopefully the gameplay is as entertaining/captivating as the music is.

Top Bottom