• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

JLG-

Anyone know how to fix this error?

Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object objDevolver:

Error defining an external function.

Game was working fine yesterday.. now all of a sudden i can't start it up.

I'm on Windows 8.

edit: nvm got it working again.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
When I move the cursor around it isn't totally smooth and kind of lags a bit. I think it's fucking up precision with guns and throwing, which is vital. Is this a known issue for some?

Shaneus

When I move the cursor around it isn't totally smooth and kind of lags a bit. I think it's fucking up precision with guns and throwing, which is vital. Is this a known issue for some?
I saw a bit of lag when playing with a controller after I was playing it for an hour or two... maybe close it and restart, because I noticed a pretty severe memory leak that showed the usage at around 1.5Gb.

rocK`

Banned
Anyone know how to fix this error?

Code:
ERROR in
action number 1
of Create Event
for object objDevolver:

Error defining an external function.

Game was working fine yesterday.. now all of a sudden i can't start it up.

I'm on Windows 8.

edit: nvm got it working again.

Don't be that guy - should be banned worthy. I don't have this problem, but someone will be scouring for that error message. You should let them know how you fixed it.

http://xkcd.com/979/

Celegus

Just finished this earlier. Absolutely SUPERB!

I don't get what the hell the endings are about, since they're not clear but still. I'll try looking around for some story clarity.

I would also love to know what some other people's thoughts were on it, if you found anything interesting. I appreciate when the story in any medium isn't completely spelled out and leaves it open to interpretation, mostly because I like seeing what other people thought compared to myself.

Still no OSX version?

HHH-Angry.gif

kiyomi

Still no OSX version?

I google it every few days just to make sure. :'(

Might've been foolish but I bought it a while ago on sale knowing it'd be out on OSX sooner or later. It's sitting there in my library all greyed out. It's a sad sight.

Still very excited to finally play it.

I google it every few days just to make sure. :'(

Might've been foolish but I bought it a while ago on sale knowing it'd be out on OSX sooner or later. It's sitting there in my library all greyed out. It's a sad sight.

Still very excited to finally play it.

Poor guy, I've got to admit you've got it worse, since I finished it in bootcamp. But still, I want to play it again and going to bootcamp is such a hassle. They said early January but we're coming closer to mid-January now! Come on!

Shaneus

Looks like word's getting around:
p7vcM.png

Now that Kavinsky has heard of Hotline Miami... who knows what the soundtrack to the sequel could be like? Having said that, I'd probably be bummed if someone I'd heard of before (at least, before the first game) did the soundtrack to the second one.

zkylon

zkylewd
Looks like word's getting around:
p7vcM.png

Now that Kavinsky has heard of Hotline Miami... who knows what the soundtrack to the sequel could be like? Having said that, I'd probably be bummed if someone I'd heard of before (at least, before the first game) did the soundtrack to the second one.
Well you might've listened to Jasper Byrne's work in Lone Survivor, maybe.

Shaneus

I meant, more "mainstream" artists, I guess. Well, not gamey people. People I expect to see on Beatport etc.

(BTW I bought Lone Survivor, but only *after* HM :) )

zkylon

zkylewd
I meant, more "mainstream" artists, I guess. Well, not gamey people. People I expect to see on Beatport etc.

(BTW I bought Lone Survivor, but only *after* HM :) )
To be honest, I'm not too excited about a Hotline: Miami sequel overall.

I loved the game and I'm willing to be surprised, but a sequel just seems redundant.

Some DLC with more maps or something might be fun, tho.

I have never heard of Hotline Miami until today. I've seen the name, but I didn't actually have any interest and knew nothing about it.

This game sounds so fucking awesome. Will it be coming on PSN or XBL?

Dingotech

A patch for this just downloaded to my steam account. Bugfixes?

From reading the Steam forums it appears to fix Windows 8 issues around not being able to progress through the game.

I wish they would patch the game so the final achievement would unlock... the game is taunting me sitting there with that one achievement locked.

ampere

Just beat the game, I think.

Loved it, 'boss fights' were pretty frustrating though

End game spoilers
Saw both credit rolls and did the 'bonus level', but it was just some guys doing an unholy resurrection, possibly of the character's girl?

Wtf with this plot, things happened differently when playing the two different characters, when they meet you win with both different characters resulting in the other's death.

I am still confused.

Dunkelgrau

Just played “Hotline Miami” for the first time and I found it very difficult and frustrating. It is completely trial and error. Started with 360-Pad for the first few hours and switched to mouse and keyboard then, but that doesn’t help neither. Not sure if I should give the game a second try.

Music is awesome.

Where the FUCK is the mac version? They're not even saying anything about it anymore. It was supposed to come out early January... Well, it's not early January anymore IS IT?

Alur

]blacky[;46666019 said:
Just played “Hotline Miami” for the first time and I found it very difficult and frustrating. It is completely trial and error. Started with 360-Pad for the first few hours and switched to mouse and keyboard then, but that doesn’t help neither. Not sure if I should give the game a second try.

Music is awesome.

Most people seem to be approaching this game like some kind of shooter, but you have to approach this game like a puzzle. You kill person A and die to person B. Now you account for A and B and die to C. Then you account for all 3, and die to the next group. Eventually you figure out the moves to take them all out and clear the level.

Some notes:

1) Not every time you spawn is a good time to clear. Sometimes you get screwed on the weapons that spawn near you/near where you're going. If you need a gun and a bat spawns, well, you're probably gonna die. That's just part of the game.

2) When you do have guns, set up just inside the doorway a room or two away from wherever the thugs are coming from and fire a couple shots. The roamers will come running, you gun em down. It's a pretty easy way to clear the trash and account for all of the non stationary thugs. (PROTIP: wherever they come from, you want to be on the side they are coming from so they cannot be walking down the hallway and see right in there and shoot you. You will always have the drop on them because they have to turn to you before firing or swinging in this manner because you want to be able to see them before they see you. DOUBLE PROTIP: Doing exactly what I said, there's still times you'll still die anyway because the game is unforgiving and unbelievably fast at times.)

3) Dying repeatedly is part of the game. Like I said, this is a puzzle game masquerading as a gory action fest. Those first few levels will seem like hell. Slowly but surely you'll get the gist of the controls, the responses of the enemies, and little tricks to clear things out efficiently and you'll begin to die less.

The first bit I played it I thought it was damn hard too and I got frustrated. By the end I spent more time being amused by the random ways the AI or my own stupidity got myself killed and tried to prepare for them.

TLDR: Stick with it, it's really a puzzle game. You will figure it out and be glad you did, it's a great game.

PlayDat

Just finished this game but didn't get any of the puzzle pieces on my playthrough. Is it worth finding them all myself or am I not missing anything by watching the real ending on youtube?

TLDR: Stick with it, it's really a puzzle game. You will figure it out and be glad you did, it's a great game.

Would agree with this. Some of the A+ runs take a bit of thought on strategy and timing too.

Unrelated to that... wasn't there a "story" discussion thread around here somewhere? I can't seem to find it.

Shaneus

I'm a little surprised "Miami" isn't the same as the full one I bought on Bandcamp, too... but it's still good to have an "official" OST.

Just got this game with the recent $5 Steam sale.

Soundcard + Swan M10s + this game turned up = awesome. Really fun game. I'm seeing, after being a few chapters in, the importance of killing everything really quickly to build up combos.

I finally finished it today. I got stuck in chapter 9
where you have to escape from the police squad storming the house
. But now I got a controller and I'm having a much better time than playing it with mouse and keyboard.
I twas an awesome ride! And oh man, the soundtrack is just phenomenal. This game plus headphones are a crazy combination.

But I'm a little disappointed witth the how the story is resolved. Major spoilers ahead:
In my opinion the game should've ended after the protagonist kills the Russian Mafia boss and lights a cigarette on the balcony. It would've been an awesome LSD trip about the protagonist going on a killing spree after his girlfriend is killed because he messed up a job. That whole conspiracy stuff right at the end was too much, in my opinion (and a heavy handed try at making a statement about video games). A story doesn't need to be complex to be cool.

Top Bottom