• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

Bulk_Rate

I got the 1000 death achievement....

but I've only had the game a few days....

How could I have die 1000 freaking times?

Game is a ***** trip!

I'm on Ch. 11

jdl

Banned
I don't remember old school gaming having awkward WASD movement... :p

This is a game you like in spite of how it controls.

it reminds me of Abuse. I remember when that came out its whacky control scheme was a bit of a novelty.

SiteSeer

if this game had a bullet-time feature the controls would be a lot less bothersome. plus it would add a strategic element to the gameplay as you'd bust open a door, unloaded on first guy, and throw an empty gun at the second guy, lets you plan some interesting sequences, rather than just being fast on aiming/trigger.

Shaneus

I still had to use lock-on fairly frequently. Especially to target someone, reposition then blindly move into an area, knowing I was targeting that enemy specifically. A lot of the stuff I was trying to pull off couldn't have been done if it took a tenth of a second longer to kill them.

dk_

I can understand this kind of comments because at first the controls seem like a complete, unplayable disaster. But if you stick with it you'll get used to the quirkiness.

And it's still not working properly under Win 8. Such a shame!

Cramoss

I don't know where I missed it but I played the whole game without knowing that there was a lock on button. I'll play it again sometime using the lock-on to see the difference.

For the purposes of our discussion, brown and bordeaux are the same color. Brown and yellow.

Wait, what? oO No they're not!

It's brown and yellow. I can almost see where she is getting Bordeaux from, but its def just brown.

Going to defer to zkylon here. It's brown and yellow, where the shadow on the left sleeve(and basically the whole right sleeve) give off almost a green tint.

Well I guess it's brown then. :p

Amagon

Finish the game finally and I love it. Still have to find the puzzle pieces and the remaining masks but damn, this game is so good!

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Just finished it tonight. Played it in three sittings- been a while since i've been so engrossed in a game all the way through.

Loved the soundtrack and the presentation of it, as well as the puzzle-approach to the levels where there were lots of different solutions. Not so sure about the story, but i'll piece it together in a few days i'm sure.

Great game. Cheers for the recommendation GAF.

dk_

Any way to play it in window mode? How am I supposed to activate a secret with a 360 controller?

Edit: Replaying chapter 6 and it crashes every time in the big room when the shooting begins. So game is so damn broken!

Game plays so much better with a 360 controller. I cannot go back to KB/M now.

The first boss was frustrating AS FUCK. I couldn't pick up the golf clubs for some reason and it's unfair how you can't hit him while he's running to retrieve his knife.

Goddamn, the disco level is one of the best experiences this year.

I got a weird crash that made my whole PC lock up at the apartment section of chapter 9.

Top 5 games of the year for sure.

Shaneus

I think it's when you collect all the letters. I need to do another playthrough using only the mask that gives you the ability to see the secrets easier (is it the owl mask)? I read something briefly on the Wikipedia page about the ending I got and the "proper" ending, but I self-spoilered so all I read was what I had to do to get it.

Does anyone know if you have to play through the whole game again or just enough to find the letters? I honestly can't even remember if you can play though each chapter specifically if there are ones where you DID find the letters already.

Inskipp

Does anyone know if you have to play through the whole game again or just enough to find the letters? I honestly can't even remember if you can play though each chapter specifically if there are ones where you DID find the letters already.
You can select which chapter to play. And yeah you only need the letters for the last level, no need to replay the entire game.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Game Update - December 20
The following remedies have been put in place for issues some users are experiencing while starting or playing Hotline Miami. For best results please reinstall the game and then reboot your PC.

If you are still experiencing issues after the update, contact dennatonsupport@hotmail.com and label the mail with the name of your error and they'll get in touch with you for further support!

We appreciate your support and patience! Thanks!

01 – GETTING STUCK BETWEEN FLOORS (IN STAIRS AND ELEVATORS)
For you that have this problem you MUST DO the following! Go to OPTIONS, then ADVANCE and then turn SURFACES to OFF. Now you should be able to enter floors in the game without problems.

CLEAR BLOOD INFO
if this function is turned ON the blood will be removed when it lands. You should try and play the game with this turned OFF first.
If you feel that the game runs slower with SURFACES OFF you can try and switch to ON, to save memory.

02 – GLASS BREAKING BUG (HOT AND HEAVY)
We have limited the amount of sounds that the game can play at once (which was what caused the problem with the game crashing).

Note: Win 8 seems to be more sensitive to this then other platforms, but we think the sound limit we have will be enough, since it worked for those that helped us test this.

03 – SLOWDOWN
It helped our testers to turn SURFACES to OFF and CLEAR BLOOD to ON. That made the game run in normal speed for them, so try that if you have slowdowns.

04 - MISC FIXES
Minor issues like the boiling pot/werewolf bug have been fixes as well.

Perturbator, the guy how contributed these three fantastic tracks

https://soundcloud.com/devolverdigi...n=devolverdigital/sets/hotline-miami-official
https://soundcloud.com/devolverdigital/perturbator?in=devolverdigital/sets/hotline-miami-official
https://soundcloud.com/devolverdigi...n=devolverdigital/sets/hotline-miami-official

to the Hotline Miami OST just released his new album on bandcamp as PWYW.

http://perturbator.bandcamp.com/album/i-am-the-night

If you enjoyed Hotline Miami's OST (and how could you not), you'll probably like this, so give it a listen.
1. Retrogenesis, 9. Deviance and 10. Raining Steel are pretty amazing so far.

Every time this thread is bumped I think there's been an update on the news of a mac release, and I imagine that I'm not the only one. Anyway, I just gave the official twitter a quick glance and it appears the mac version is likely to turn up in "early January".

Ledsen

Just finished this in a little over 3 hours. Such an amazing game. Resembled Super Meat Boy in that it that the player is 100% in control at all times, and deaths occur only because of lack of skill. Couldn't imagine playing it with a gamepad though, it really requires the precision of a mouse. Didn't know there was lock-on though!

Chapter 4 is fucking intense. Took me a while to figure out how to blow the bomb without getting killed, and then the campers afterwards.

Story is definitely going places, pretty much you're a psychopath. I like the newspapers tell the player who he was killing after the mission, you're only told in code from the hotline.

And yes I've jumped on the Horse doors bandwagon. Allows you to strategise your next move with the door instakill.

Shaneus

And yes I've jumped on the Horse doors bandwagon. Allows you to strategise your next move with the door instakill.
Yeah, it's the best way of feeling like a badass. Bust into a room, kill a guy, run toward another guy with the samurai sword, steal his gun, kill the guy who's running toward the room because he heard gunshots. The satisfaction you get when pulling that shit off is pretty much unparalleled.

Yeah, it's the best way of feeling like a badass. Bust into a room, kill a guy, run toward another guy with the samurai sword, steal his gun, kill the guy who's running toward the room because he heard gunshots. The satisfaction you get when pulling that shit off is pretty much unparalleled.

You just get into this zone and almost feels like it's playing itself. I love that there's spread to your melee weapon so you can take out multiple dudes if they're close enough for area of effect.

ArynCrinn

Banned
How do I adjust my resolution? Playing on the main rig at what seems to be 720p is lame, I'd like to bump up to 1080p or further...

Also, when is Steam overlay going to be working, still isn't working after coming back.

Also, screen tearing. Anyway to adjust this other than setting a config in Nvidia CP or D3D?

Amazing game, but I keep getting crashes,

for object objEffector:

Error opening file for writing.

Anyone else seeing this one?

Just finished this.

Other than some (ok, a bunch) of crashes around chapters 11 and 12, this might be up there as one of my GOTY's. It's fantastic.

Edit: Wait? There was a lockon button?! I had no clue through this entire thing!

Dingotech

So I finished the game once and I'm off to do collectables/better scores.

How do you unlock the masks that you pick in levels?
E.g. The 'Carl' mask I've picked up in Push It, but I finished the level, went back to chapter select and in the next level I'm playing it's still blacked out??

EDIT - Never mind, replayed it and finally unlocked.

I have to say, watching the previews for this game, I was strangely intrigued, yet kind of nauseated. I felt like it overtly and simply glorified violence, something I'm very strongly against. Yet something about the intoxicating mixture of the lo-fi VHS style 80s presentation and awesomely synthy dark music made me end up buying it when it was on sale. I have to say, the game is masterfully simple, which makes its game mechanics quite addictive.

The level of violence is extreme, but it seems to be an aesthetic choice with deeper implications. It's not necessarily a glorification of violence, but some kind of portal into the ID's desires. There's something fascinatingly potent about the combination of malleable identity through animal masks (which brings up also an interesting tie to shamanism/animalism) and the fixation on brutality. I can say this game is not glorifying violence, but using violence to make a surprisingly powerful connection to some baser human quality. You could say, our "animalistic" desires, our inherent canine bloodlust. It's no mere shoot 'em up. I still don't know quite what to make of it.

Exactly how I feel about this game. I was not even interested in it after seeing the first praise and trailer plus some screens. Then I bought it. Now it is my GOTY.

_machine

Finally bought it and it really is something else.

It's hard to describe the game as simple ultraviolent shooter doesn't cut it...at all. It's made of all these little simple bits that add up to a great game. From the trippy and nostalgic graphics to the simple, yet brilliant gameplay it's such a concentrated package.

I also don't get the comments about the controls, KB/M in particular. I did grow up playing Tapan Kaikki though, but for me it wasn't even about getting used to them as it was that they felt right from the get-go.

Shaneus

I fucking love these guys. They seem to respond to everyone on Twitter... and actually put effort into it:

qTMUu.png

Shaneus

I just called the hotline... apparently I should stop looking for Maria :(

Left a message saying I was looking for my friend who worked in a convenience store, but his phone just kept ringing out. Hope he's okay.

nilbog21

Banned
So I got on to play today and I guess my game data randomly got deleted? I was on the hospital level which I assume is near the end of the game, and now I can only play the Prelude and all the masks are "unavailable" so I can't even do that.. what the fuck

Top Bottom