• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hotline Miami |OT| - All your LSD are belong to us. You are already dead

Raptomex

Really like the game but I'm surprised that people find it so brutal. I mean, yeah, you kill a lot of people, there is a lot of blood but it is all so... abstract. Somehow it never really felt brutal to me because of its fever dream vibe and old school graphics. And the number of deaths probably isn't higher than in an average playthrough of Uncharted. I don't know, I guess I find it more brutal (or cold) to "mask" the deaths like some other games do than actually show what you've done. If that makes any sense.
I agree with this. It has a brutal feel but it's never physically made me sick to my stomach or anything. The game is bizarre and I love it.
She has two attacks: If you're close to her, she'll throw knives at you. If you're far away -- enough that she's off-screen should be good -- she'll run in with her sword. Get far enough away so she runs, then throw the weapon you used to kill the cats.
Ok. I didn't try
throwing shit at her
I always get sniped with something or chopped up

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Really like the game but I'm surprised that people find it so brutal. I mean, yeah, you kill a lot of people, there is a lot of blood but it is all so... abstract. Somehow it never really felt brutal to me because of its fever dream vibe and old school graphics. And the number of deaths probably isn't higher than in an average playthrough of Uncharted. I don't know, I guess I find it more brutal (or cold) to "mask" the deaths like some other games do than actually show what you've done. If that makes any sense.

I think what does it for me is the fact that when I play the game I:

1) have been drinking
2) play in a pitch-black room, and
3) play for an extended period of time

It takes a little bit, but the game really gets to ya if you play it like that. Or at least... that was the case for me.

After awhile just get in this zone of the pounding music repeating over and over and trying to do stupid stuff like drill as many people as possible.

Jubbly

Ugh, Patrick is playing way to methodical. He is gonna shoot himself in the head in later levels if he continues to play like that.

Aye, needs to loosen up, move quickly, use lock on, and throw every single weapon he has. Just look at the end when he says 'sod it' and goes on a rampage. Suddenly doing a whole lot better and beats the floor. Shame they didn't get to the mini-boss though, that would have been amusing to watch.

Some speculations on my part:

I took the rewind in time in the credits to mean that when you fight the biker dude, what really happens is that he puts the main character into a coma, and the events post-coma (like in May/June/July) are not really happening, but merely a part of his coma induced state. I don't know exactly when in the timeline, but this is around the time those hallucinations start coming out in full force in the 'real world,' like the disembodied heads and bloodied people. Interestingly, the game also takes a big spike in difficulty around that point, so maybe the main character is hallucinating even stronger enemies, since he's so good at killing (and by extension, so are you) at that point in the game.

Also, about some other characters:

Is it just me, or were the two janitors at the end meant to represent the developers, Denneton? Cause they basically say since it's a game, the plot doesn't really matter, you just kill everything, and that it's really fun to do so and just enjoy the killing that you've gotten so good at.

I think
the coma bit is spot on. He's remembering how all this came about. Interestingly enough, in the ending they mention how they force people to work for them and the violence comes from that... Then they start to enjoy it. You rescue the girl early on, and there's references to breaking up with a girlfriend. My theory is that this woman possibly IS his girlfriend, and that was how he was forced into all this in the first place. At first he obviously doesn't want to do this. He throws up in the first mission after all.

Wow I just started using the scroll-button lock-on and everything is a million times easier. Throwing items is actually useful rather than a massive gambit. Made the
biker level
a million times easier.

It would be glorious to see some Steam Workshop integration with a level creator on this.

Raptomex

Wow I just started using the scroll-button lock-on and everything is a million times easier. Throwing items is actually useful rather than a massive gambit. Made the
biker level
a million times easier.

It would be glorious to see some Steam Workshop integration with a level creator on this.
Yes. That's what I've been saying. No idea if the game was made easily moddable, though.

Alex

The initial media was pretty blah but the quicklook made it look very fun. May have to nab it after they fix up some stuff.

So I managed to play this for about 10 minutes before it crashed. Now whenever I try to launch it, it either crashes on startup or the music doesn't play.

Misguided

Banned
Does this happen after you enable Steam? I get an error if I hit "yes" then some error message then I abort and there's no Sound. If I don't enable Steam it's fine.

I've gotten the error message, but it sometimes happens regardless of which I pick. And in both I can hear no sound...uninstalled and redownloading now.

Raptomex

Not yet. Developer on the Steam discussion area said it would be there sometime tonight.
Good lord. Didn't they say yesterday it would be released overnight?
I've gotten the error message, but it sometimes happens regardless of which I pick. And in both I can hear no sound...uninstalled and redownloading now.
The day it was released my game was fine. Then yesterday for some reason I had the error/sound issue.

ScOULaris

Beat the game earlier today and then started speedrunning earlier levels.

MAN, this game really blossoms when you've gotten accustomed to everything and can just start blowing through the levels with quick thinking and reflexes. I feel like a total badass blowing through hordes of white-suited thugs with ease now, smoothly flowing from one takedown to the next. After it's all said and done, I'm standing in a room covered in corpses and viscera, wearing a unicorn mask.

The glitches annoyed me on my first playthrough, but the core gameplay is ace. I would KILL for some kind of level editor functionality to be integrated in the future. Leaderboards would be nice too.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Hmm, can't even start it. I get the splash screen as it's loading up on Steam and then I just get a black screen.

Tried running it by itself without Steam and I had the same result.

Uninstalled the redist and uninstalled/reinstalled the game and still getting the black screen.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
So it seems that it's only the music that isn't working, sound effects are.

How do you even fuck that up

Small team and they can't afford to test on a plethora of different PC configs?
I'm trying to be patient here. I can't get past the splash screen before my screen goes black.

Apparently one of the tricks is to turn of the Print Spooler service... What libraries are they using that would conflict with that?

Misguided

Banned
Small team and they can't afford to test on a plethora of different PC configs?
I'm trying to be patient here. I can't get past the splash screen before my screen goes black.

Apparently one of the tricks is to turn of the Print Spooler service... What libraries are they using that would conflict with that?

I looked in the steamapps folder. There's a readme.txt file about what to do if you have the error message popping up at runtime, but it wants me to install one of the files in the redist folder, but there's only one folder, and it just installs the Visual C++ Redistributable thing that gets installed when you run the game from Steam. Doesn't seem like there's an apparent solution. And yeah you're right, I probably should not have been so hasty. Just sucks paying for something on a college budget and having it not working.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Finished the game earlier today. All in all, fantastic stuff. I didn't even mind the stealth level, honestly... cuz the whole game was centered around stealth to an extent, anyway.

Think I'll go back and look for secrets and shit since... I want more. That's not a knock against the game's length -- it was just about right. It's just that it's some pretty addictive stuff.

Saw the the soundtrack on SoundCloud but is there a way to download the sountrack in MP3/FLAC outside of the .oggs included with the game?

KingKong

Oh man, second floor of level 9 took FOREVER

finally figured out to hang around the entrance to kill everyone so I could escape the laser

Lain

Reached Part Two and quit for a bit. I sort of got the hang on moving and killing and it's seriously great. The music does add a whole lot of awesome on top of the gameplay though. Without it, it would be merely a good game, but with it I feel it makes it something special.

sixghost

So what was the actual way to beat the
uzi guy
? My stupid ass solution was to
throw the thing at the girl so she was in the crawling state, then I just went around and threw the 3 glass shards behind one of the pieces of cover, then waited for her to crawl to me to finish it. The uzi guy was easy as hell then, since I just sat behind cover and threw glass at him when he reloaded.
No way that was the intended solution though.

That last boss was the only part of the game I didn't enjoy, besides that awful awful stealth mission. What were they thinking with that? Maybe my game was bugged, but I could not go anywhere without behind detected once I picked up that piece of paper in the room above the one you start in.The only way I got past it was because the game glitched out or something, and despite the getting-caught message popping up, I was still able to move, and just walked out. I must have gotten caught 40 fucking times.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Someone trade me this game for my Hitman: Blood Money steam key :D

BadData

Reached Part Two and quit for a bit. I sort of got the hang on moving and killing and it's seriously great. The music does add a whole lot of awesome on top of the gameplay though. Without it, it would be merely a good game, but with it I feel it makes it something special.

I feel the same way, both the music and the eerie/surreal tone. Super love this game, gets my heart pumpin!

PaineReign

Neo Member
Amazing game so far. It is so consistent in its tone (visually, musically, and through the gameplay) that you can't help but love it.

It just feels good to fight, the combat is really responsive and when you see enemies hit a wall it feels so satisfying.

The music is SO GOOD!

Raptomex

So what was the actual way to beat the
uzi guy
? My stupid ass solution was to
throw the thing at the girl so she was in the crawling state, then I just went around and threw the 3 glass shards behind one of the pieces of cover, then waited for her to crawl to me to finish it. The uzi guy was easy as hell then, since I just sat behind cover and threw glass at him when he reloaded.
No way that was the intended solution though.

That last boss was the only part of the game I didn't enjoy, besides that awful awful stealth mission. What were they thinking with that? Maybe my game was bugged, but I could not go anywhere without behind detected once I picked up that piece of paper in the room above the one you start in.The only way I got past it was because the game glitched out or something, and despite the getting-caught message popping up, I was still able to move, and just walked out. I must have gotten caught 40 fucking times.
Take the knives then chop off his arms then execute him

I just beat this game tonight. What a great game. The story is still weird and I have no idea
what the motive behind any of this really was.
But I always liked that
cleaning guy
I loved seeing him in one of the earlier chapters just grinning at you all covert
. I knew
he was involved somehow

Archurro

Regarding the ending,
as bike-helmet dude, I don't buy that you put jacket-guy in a coma and most of the middle game is jacket-guy's coma. When you play the mission from helmet-dude's perspective and kill jacket-guy, you clearly smash his face in/decapitate jacket-guy, as in there is no way he would survive that. I doubt that really matters though in the long run, seems like the whole last part is an alternative timeline/world.

Raptomex

Regarding the ending,
as bike-helmet dude, I don't buy that you put jacket-guy in a coma and most of the middle game is jacket-guy's coma. When you play the mission from helmet-dude's perspective and kill jacket-guy, you clearly smash his face in/decapitate jacket-guy, as in there is no way he would survive that. I doubt that really matters though in the long run, seems like the whole last part is an alternative timeline/world.
I have no idea what's going on in the story. Im confused.

sixghost

Regarding the ending,

You also don't need to kill a single person in that mission besides the guy in the black suit. When you went there as jacket-guy, everyone was dead.

ArynCrinn

Banned
This has got to be the best indie surprise of the year for me, absolutely loving this game. The soundtrack is probably one of the best of the year too.

Top Bottom