• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of Cards - Season 2 on Netflix - *Spoilers for all of S2*

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

I skimmed the review, and it sounds like the new season is more of what we saw in S1. If you enjoyed that, then you'll probably like S2.

Yeah, he was lukewarm on the first season as well, if I recall. Besides, I don't really see anything wrong with a show shooting for greatness and only achieving "damn good".

On an unrelated note, the fact that much of the East Coast is going to be blanketed in snow just as S2 drops has to make Netflix giddy with excitement. And the ISPs nervous as all hell.

torontoml

So does this go up at midnight EST tomorrow? Or sometime during the day on Friday?

Edit: Nvm reread the OP, midnight Pacific then.

Divius

I do hope there will be an official recap of the first season, just to refresh my memory.

Also I love those gifs in the OP.

kirblar

Sounds about as one-note as reviews of the last season. All we need now is AV Club to start complaining about how they released all the episodes at once.
That's not how you use "one-note". It's not an accident that a lot of people all have the same criticism of the show.

kirblar

One of the major "complaints" from last season was that the show isn't as smart as it thinks it is.
Why do you need to put it in italics? The show is very pretty, but, with the exception of the Russo and his girlfriend, was largely emotionally empty. There isn't really a reason to root for or against Frank. We're observing characters rather than investing in them. The show, in the finale, also seemed to try and frame Russo's downfall some preordained plan rather than as a result of Frank's opportunism.

The characters often act as the plot dictates, rather than the characters dictating the plot, to a point where the show feels "Greek" instead of "Shakespearean." Who is Frank, besides a guy who likes power? What does he want to do with it? He clearly has a human side in there somewhere (and it's no surprise that people reacted strongly to the one episode in which he showed vulnerability.)

That emotional disconnect is real, and makes the show disposable. I'll end up watching S2 due to being shut in via this week's blizzard, but if it were cancelled I really wouldn't care.

jtb

Banned
The writing on House of Cards is competent, at best. Very pretty show, though. No Fincher going forward means that my interest is going to decrease significantly, though.

Would really love for them to release it today with all the snow.... :(

- Boston Herald: Wild ‘Cards’
The David Fincher political drama set the stage in season one; now it’s time to bulldoze some pieces. The first four episodes Netflix made available are more intense and unpredictable than the first season.
- KC Star: ‘House of Cards’ Season 2 debuts Friday
For the time being, watching Netflix’s power couple keep the plates spinning is more satisfying than contemplating the real horrors behind Washington’s closed doors.

Would really love for them to release it today with all the snow.... :(
It'd be a nice gesture, but unfortunately I doubt they can do it based on contracts and the legalities involved.

Draconian

Why do you need to put it in italics? The show is very pretty, but, with the exception of the Russo and his girlfriend, was largely emotionally empty. There isn't really a reason to root for or against Frank. We're observing characters rather than investing in them. The show, in the finale, also seemed to try and frame Russo's downfall some preordained plan rather than as a result of Frank's opportunism.

The characters often act as the plot dictates, rather than the characters dictating the plot, to a point where the show feels "Greek" instead of "Shakespearean." Who is Frank, besides a guy who likes power? What does he want to do with it? He clearly has a human side in there somewhere (and it's no surprise that people reacted strongly to the one episode in which he showed vulnerability.)

That emotional disconnect is real, and makes the show disposable. I'll end up watching S2 due to being shut in via this week's blizzard, but if it were cancelled I really wouldn't care.

Because I'm not a fan of projecting onto the show. I don't understand how you are saying the show is emotionally empty when Russo is one of the most important characters on the first season of the show. Yeah, if we ignore him and his girlfriend (which comprise of a large amount of season 1) I can understand this criticism. Instead, for some reason they don't count. I'm also not buying that there's no reason to root for or against Frank. Did we not watch him kill a man because it was politically advantageous to do so? Frank's moral depravity is on clear display and has been from the very onset of the show.

Pryce

Having watched the first four episodes in short order, I'm going to take my time with the rest of the season, admiring the shiny packaging and the performances while wishing they were in service to the great show "House of Cards" thinks it is rather than the decent show it actually is.

My worst fear. All shine with no substance.

RedShift

Gah, I have a three hour train journey tomorrow.

Is there anyway to cache episodes to Netflix on iOS like you can with iPlayer?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
What are the unlock times for the UK? Is it the same as the US? Anyone know, I cant wait :x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom