• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

House of the Dead Overkill Extended Cut (PS3)

Apenheul

What happened to this game? I would swear that the Wii version looked different (better IMO).

EDIT: I just noticed that they changed the first level to daytime, whereas it was night in the Wii version.

meppi

Apenheul said:
What happened to this game? I would swear that the Wii version looked different (better IMO).
Well guess I'm not the only one. :-/
Loved the Wii game and was planning on picking this up just for the extra levels, but I'm not sure anymore.

Looks kinda janky. Even the reload animation looks off. He starts shooting before the gun is reloaded...

Boerseun

Banned
timetokill said:
This is extremely silly.

1) Many of these games sold very well on Wii, either within or surpassing expectations
2) For most of this gen, the Wii was the only platform with a pointer-based input market worth talking about. The fact still remains that every Wii owner has a pointer that works with HotD. With PS3 you're talking about a fraction of a userbase that is smaller than the Wii's userbase anyway.
3) The graphics in HotD are not something to write home about. The games have always had a campy bad-art style that worked fine on the Wii.
4) If you think many of these games were made "knowing" that they were going to port to HD later, you're insane.
5) They didn't move them to the HD consoles because they didn't sell well on Wii. They moved them to the other consoles because there were some potential sales waiting on other platforms. This isn't about "saving" the game from bad Wii sales. It's about trying to rake in a few more sales, separate from the Wii title.

You're right on most of these points. Many of the lightgun-style games released on Wii were million sellers. The only major fault with your post is that you equate Move to pointer-based controls when in fact it is not. Wii is still the only motion control option with pointer functionality. Move merely guesses where you're pointing. The result is that floaty, inaccurate feeling you experience with Move when you're used to playing shooters on Wii.

I quite enjoyed the original House of the Dead: Overkill, but I certainly won't be buying this new version, despite my second console being a Ps3 (heavily played, I should add, before someone brings out the fanboy accusation). I've had my fill of Move at this point. It was hyped to be superior to the bare Wii Remote, and in some ways it probably is, but in the field of pointing and shooting it lags far behind.

vazel

Banned
What the hell is up with that Grindhouse stuff. I was hoping to pick this up to play with my friend, we're big fans of the first two from the arcades and I just know he's not going to like all that swearing and cheap film filter. Oh well I'll still pick it up for myself just because it's a lightgun game.

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
meppi said:
Well guess I'm not the only one. :-/
Loved the Wii game and was planning on picking this up just for the extra levels, but I'm not sure anymore.

Looks kinda janky. Even the reload animation looks off. He starts shooting before the gun is reloaded...
It's looks like they tossed out almost all of the celluloid degradation effects for the new lighting system (the reason they switched to daytime is to show that off). It lost a lot of it's style.

Curufinwe

Boerseun said:
You're right on most of these points. Many of the lightgun-style games released on Wii were million sellers. The only major fault with your post is that you equate Move to pointer-based controls when in fact it is not. Wii is still the only motion control option with pointer functionality. Move merely guesses where you're pointing. The result is that floaty, inaccurate feeling you experience with Move when you're used to playing shooters on Wii./

I know the Wiimote is better for pointing but I felt I could be very accurate with the Move on Dead Space Extraction.

Boerseun

Banned
Curufinwe said:
I know the Wiimote is better for pointing but I felt I could be very accurate with the Move on Dead Space Extraction.

Dead Space Extraction was the game that finally made me throw in the towel on Move. I own both the Ps3 and Wii versions. The difference is not night and day but still remarkable, with the Move version feeling more than a little off if you've played it on Wii.

Frankly speaking (and going slightly off-topic), as next gen approaches, I'm going to be mighty pissed off if developers don't continute to support the pointer function of the Wii Remote for first person shooters and lightgun-style arcade games. Of course there is no indication of this happening. And yet I can't help but fear for my pointer controls after having thoroughly enjoyed them on Wii this gen.

vazel said:
What the hell is up with that Grindhouse stuff. I was hoping to pick this up to play with my friend, we're big fans of the first two from the arcades and I just know he's not going to like all that swearing and cheap film filter. Oh well I'll still pick it up for myself just because it's a lightgun game.

Yeah, they should have made it exactly like the four other House of the Dead games.

That would have made it so much more exciting.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Boerseun said:
Dead Space Extraction was the game that finally made me throw in the towel on Move. I own both the Ps3 and Wii versions. The difference is not night and day but still remarkable, with the Move version feeling more than a little off if you've played it on Wii.

I have played both at the same time when doing my Move version analysis and I really don't see that. It's actually the opposite to my experience. Move cursor runs smoother, responds more accurately and its sensitivity can be tweaked without introducing delay.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlGJA5VRM0g (start watching at 3:00 mark if you don't care about visual differences)

jackdoe

TTP said:
I have played both at the same time when doing my Move version analysis and I really don't see that. It's actually the opposite to my experience. Move cursor runs smoother/faster and its sensitivity can be tweaked without introducing delay.
I feel that it was definitely on par in terms of accuracy and sensitivity (maybe even more so). The problem of course is the whole drifting issue which is an inconvenience and can impact the gameplay experience if you don't take the time to recalibrate.

vazel

Banned
Criminal Upper said:
Yeah, they should have made it exactly like the four other House of the Dead games.

That would have made it so much more exciting.
When did I say that? I was just saying my friend's a prude and disappointed I wasn't going to be able to play this with him.

dreamfall

I had to bite on the Amazon price, thanks for the heads up! I'm excited to use Move for the first time in awhile- seems like a really good pairing between the device and this game.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
jackdoe said:
I feel that it was definitely on par in terms of accuracy and sensitivity (maybe even more so). The problem of course is the whole drifting issue which is an inconvenience and can impact the gameplay experience if you don't take the time to recalibrate.

I never had to recalibrate tho. I actually never had to in any Move shooters I've tested. Which is odd cos I've seen videos of people having such issues. I'm still in the dark about what causes that to some.

Ridley327

vazel said:
When did I say that? I was just saying my friend's a prude and disappointed I wasn't going to be able to play this with him.
Something is really wrong when he draws the line for a bunch of swearing in a game series very well known for how graphically violent it gets.

vazel

Banned
Ridley327 said:
Something is really wrong when he draws the line for a bunch of swearing in a game series very well known for how graphically violent it gets.
Well to be fair the first two HotD games were pure lighthearted arcade cheese.

Still looking forward to this game myself. I hope other Wii lightgun games get ported.

hatchx

Banned
Boerseun said:

Frankly speaking (and going slightly off-topic), as next gen approaches, I'm going to be mighty pissed off if developers don't continute to support the pointer function of the Wii Remote for first person shooters and lightgun-style arcade games. Of course there is no indication of this happening. And yet I can't help but fear for my pointer controls after having thoroughly enjoyed them on Wii this gen.

Well the Wii U can be played with remote + nunchuck. I'd be disappointed in any single FPS that hits the system that doesn't offer a control scheme.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Reactions (good and bad) to that 10 minute video as I watch it:

That opening cutscene... horrible. Papa Caeser's laugh (camera, not the voice) is way off, G's model is just... bad... he looks like a poor Frank West knockoff now. It feels like they tried to make him more handsome when originally (not just in the Wii game, but CG renders) he looked like a dork (which suits him much better.) Isaac's lips when he talks is laughable... looks like a robot talking... could be intentional but I never noticed it in the original...

Getting onto the gameplay... what is up with the huge loading time? Jeeze. Graphics are great, awesome lighting, good indoor atmosphere. The reload animation looks... unnatural... Shooting mutants seems to splatter much less blood and gore, wait what? That was the best part of the original's gameplay! Now it's like RE UC where you get no satisfaction in killing an enemy (RE DSC changed this and I find it to have much better gameplay, which isn't a coincidence.) In the original, mutants were like walking bags of blood and meat that would explode if you sneezed at them, now they look like scarecrows with a couple packets of blood inside. Is that to increase the difficulty? At the expense of fun maybe... it's possible it could also be the player sucks, or that the gun is too weak... but I remember mutants exploding right when I started playing. If the stronger guns bring back that feel it isn't a problem, but it would suck if this is indicative of the whole game.

Ooh, you can get money in levels, I do like that. But are golden brains replaced with golden CDs? Or are those the unlockable tracks, so you don't have to do something specific in-game to get them (other than shooting them of course.) The exterior atmosphere isn't as good as indoors or the original's, which was set at the tail end of dusk... The new lighting system make the interiors easier to see but covers enemies in shade sometimes... Don't know what to think of having the attic so brightly lit... Also without the celluloid effect, all we're left with is the film scratches, which don't stand as well on their own. The game looks good, but more generic...

...And that's it.

I was thinking about buying a PS3+Move for this game eventually (Overkill whore right here, I think I've spent at least 50 hours on the original), now I'm not so sure. :( I probably will get it eventually because of the new content (and the fixed money system is a great plus, and the lighting should make The Fetid Waters easier), but I don't think it can top the original.

I guess my question is, did Overkill need this? I'm really glad others will be able to play Overkill, and I'm also glad because this means Sega hasn't forgotten about this game, and I'm happy to get new content. But the appeal of Overkill was in its Grindhouse, low-budget style, which matched the Wii. It's much harder to say "HD but low-budget" with a straight face.

Apenheul

TTP said:
I never had to recalibrate tho. I actually never had to in any Move shooters I've tested. Which is odd cos I've seen videos of people having such issues. I'm still in the dark about what causes that to some.

To a great extent it depends on how people play, the drift always occurs but is more likely to be noticed at higher sensitivity-settings and constant movement of the controller. This is inherent to the technology and filtering algorithms, the same happens when you enter gyro-aiming mode in Ocarina of Time 3D and keep rotating the 3DS for a minute or so, the aiming will be off.

I noticed how in the trailer the cursor barely moves when compared with how people typically play lightgun shooters (frantically aiming all over the place).

jackdoe

Andrex said:
But the appeal of Overkill was in its Grindhouse, low-budget style, which matched the Wii. It's much harder to say "HD but low-budget" with a straight face.
Haha. Ironically, it wasn't a budget release on the Wii ($50) but it's a budget release on the PS3 ($30).

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
jackdoe said:
Haha. Ironically, it wasn't a budget release on the Wii ($50) but it's a budget release on the PS3 ($30).

Heh, I know. And the actual budget for the Wii version (team and all) was probably as much or more than the extended cut. I was just saying, lower-budget suits the Wii, whereas it doesn't really suit the PS3 as well.

dacuk

After watching the most recent trailer on this thread, I hope Sega releases this Extended Cut on Wii-U. While the characters models (specially G's) look strange, those graphx are not that bad. This game definitely shines with proper pointer control (Wiimote)

Top Bottom