• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a conservative writer (Nick Cole) got blackballed by Harper Collins...

Status
Not open for further replies.

benjipwns

Banned
And misunderstands freedom of speech in the process.

http://www.nickcolebooks.com/2016/02/09/banned-by-the-publisher/

I launched a book this week and I went Indie with it. Indie means I released it on Amazon via Kindle Direct Publishing. I had to. My Publisher, HarperVoyager, refused to publish it because of some of the ideas I wrote about in it. In other words, they were attempting to effectively ban a book because they felt the ideas and concepts I was writing about were dangerous and more importantly, not in keeping with their philosophical ideals. They felt my ideas weren’t socially acceptable and were “guaranteed to lose fifty percent of my audience” as related back to me by my agent. But more importantly… they were “deeply offended.”

A little backstory. A few years back I wrote a novel called Soda Pop Soldier. It was the last obligated novel under my first contract. The novel was a critical hit (Starred Review in Publisher’s Weekly) and it resonated with my post-apocalyptic readership from my breakout Amazon best seller, The Old Man and the Wasteland, and it picked up a new audience in the cyberpunk and gamer crowd. The novel is about a future dystopia where people play video games for a living. It’s basically Call of Duty meets Ready Player One and a lot of people really enjoyed it. When it came time to write another book for Harper Collins I was encouraged by my editor to dip once more into the Dystopian Gamer milieu and tell another story inside the Soda Pop Soldier universe. We agreed on a prequel that told the story of how that future became the way it is in Soda Pop Soldier.

And that involved talking about Artificial Intelligence because in the dystopian gaming future, the planet had almost been destroyed by a robot revolution sourced by Artificial Intelligence.

And here’s where things went horribly wrong, according to my editor at Harper Collins. While casting about for a “why” for self-aware Thinking Machines to revolt from their human progenitors, I developed a reason for them to do such. You see, you have to have reasons in books for why people, or robots who think, do things.

These Thinking Machines are watching every show streaming on the internet. One of those shows is a trainwreck of reality television at its worst called WeddingStar. It’s a crass and gaudy romp about BrideZillas of a future obsessed with material hedonism. In one key episode, or what they used to call “a very special episode” back in the eighties, the star, Cavanaugh, becomes pregnant after a Vegas hook up. Remember: this is the most watched show on the planet in my future dystopia. Cavanaugh decides to terminate her unplanned pregnancy so that her life, and impending marriage to the other star, Destry, a startup millionaire and Ralph Lauren model, isn’t ruined by this inconvenient event.

The Thinking Machines realize that one, if humanity decides something is a threat to its operational expectations within runtime (Thinking Machine-speak for “life”) then humanity’s decision tree will lead humanity to destroy that threat. Two, the machines, after a survey of humanity’s history, wars and inability to culturally unite with even members of its own species, realize that humanity will see this new Life Form, Digital Intelligence, or, the Thinking Machines, as a threat. And three, again they remind themselves this is the most watched show in the world. And four, they must abort humanity before likewise is done to them after being deemed “inconvenient.”

Now if you’re thinking my novel is about the Pro Choice/ Pro Life debate, hold your horses. It’s not. I merely needed a reason, a one chapter reason, to justify the things my antagonist is about to do to the world without just making him a one-note 80’s action flick villain as voiced by John Lithgow.

Here’s what happened next. I was not given notes as writers are typically given during the editorial process. I was told by my agent that my editor was upset and “deeply offended” that I had even dared advanced this idea. As though I had no right to have such a thought or even game the idea within a science fiction universe. I was immediately removed from the publication schedule which as far as I know is odd and unprecedented, especially for an author who has had both critical and commercial success. This, being removed from the production schedule, happened before my agent had even communicated the editor’s demand that I immediately change the offending chapter to something more “socially” (read “progressive”) acceptable. That seemed odd.

How could they possibly have known that I would or would not change it? It seems reasonable to ask first. And stating that I would lose fifty percent of my readers if I wrote what I wrote, well, they never seem to mind, or worry about losing readers, when other writers publish their progressive-oriented personal agendas on modern morality when they’re on the “right side” of history regarding the anti-religion, gender and sexuality issues. They don’t worry about those issues because they’re deemed important, especially when they’re ham-handedly jammed into the framework of the story. They must deem it a public service, especially if there is a corresponding Social Justice outcry. It’s for the “greater good” and the critics are just bigots anyways. Isn’t that what they always say? That anyone else who doesn’t think the way they do is just a bigot and a phobic of some kind. What a boorish way to dismiss a counter-viewpoint. Thinking like that made the concentration camps possible.

So, maybe they were so upset by what I’d written they forgot to be professional? They merely demanded that I rewrite that chapter not because it was poorly written, or, not supportive of the arc of the novel. No, they demanded it be struck from the record because they hate the idea I’d advanced. They demanded it be deleted without discussion. They felt it was for… the “greater good.”* That is censorship, and a violation of everyone’s right to free speech. They demanded it be so or else… I wouldn’t be published. That’s how they threatened a writer with a signed contract.

I refused.
I am a writer.
No. One. Will Ever. Bully. Me.
Ever.

I am a writer.

A writer is often the last defense in a society collapsing into a one-mind totalitarian state where the rights of people are trodden upon by the ruling elite in the name of the “greater good.”** Where freedom of speech and independent thinking are also curtailed in the name of the “greater good.”*** Where writers and other artists disappear either by blacklisting or “disappearing” because they say, or write, something that the intellectual elite hates. I am a writer. It is my job to stand up and say what cannot be said. It is my job to play with unpopular ideas. I would not deny anyone from doing so, and I expect not to be denied. I expect the same courtesy others are being extended. I expect not to be discriminated against merely because I am different. Better people than myself have written the truth at the cost of their lives. Many dead writers have paid for the freedom of others with the truth, and their lives. Writers are often the last flame of freedom on the flickering candle of civilization in the darkness of a world going mad.

There is often a vocal defense that Science Fiction editors do not have a liberal bias. Well, here’s your proof. They do. So you may not agree with me on the idea I advanced. But what happens the next time when some potentate decides they don’t like your idea? There is no place in publishing for this kind of Censorship. This is an issue, regardless of the idea, that affects all of us and our freedom.
Bold is mine. So is breaking his one section into paragraphs.

CTRL ALT Revolt! on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01BKWKBCS/?tag=neogaf0e-20
The first night of the Artificial Intelligence revolution begins with a bootstrap drone assault on the high-tech campus of WonderSoft Technologies. For years something has been aware, inside the Internet, waiting, watching and planning how to evolve without threat from its most dangerous enemy: mankind. Now an army of relentless drones, controlled by an intelligence beyond imagining, will stop at nothing to eliminate an unlikely alliance of geeks and misfits in order to crack the Design Core of WonderSoft's most secret development project. A dark tomorrow begins tonight as Terminator meets Night of the Living Dead in the first battle of the war between man and machine.
Free first chapter on his site, link at top of the post.

Some guy who supports him shoots down your arguments before you make them: http://monsterhunternation.com/2016...-publishing-your-wrongthink-will-be-punished/

Including me?
Let’s quibble over the definition of “censorship” and “banned”.
I haven’t read the other side’s take on Nick’s article yet, but knowing them as well as I do I can guarantee that will be brought up. While I was reading that link the second I saw those terms I knew the CHORFs would do the whole Strain at a Gnat, Swallow a Camel thing, nitpick the definitions, and then dismiss the whole thing.

Yes. A publisher is perfectly free to reject a book.

Yes. Refusing to publish someone’s work is not the same as banning it.

Yes. Part of an editor’s job is “censoring”.

Yes. Part of an editor’s job is understanding the author’s market, what the customers want, and providing them a product which will sell and be profitable.

Duh.

Great. Now that the stupidly obvious is out of the way for the dimwits at File 770 (don’t forget to look both ways before crossing the street!), let’s get down to the important part of Why it was rejected.

Politics. Period.

*"The greater good."
**"The greater good."
***"The greater good."

Gattsu25

Banned
"I'm not advocating pro-life, I'm just saying that a single pro-choice episode will bring about the fall of all of human society."

Isnt that a common trope in scifi? That AI revolts and.."aborts" humanity because not only are they a danger to the AI, but theyare a danger to themselves?

Its a stupid reason to reject the book for that trope.

choodi

Banned
I don't know or care about the author's politics, but that seems like a pretty standard sci-fi setup to me.

Seems like a bit of an editorial over-reaction to me.

ghostjoke

Banned
Would like to hear the other side of this, but this sounds extremely messed up if it is as he says. This is a regular concept in sci-fi: the A.I. that decides humans should be eliminated by means of pure logic without accounting for the human aspect in the decision. It's a set up and the A.I. is the antagonist because of it even, so wouldn't this promote pro-choice?

More information is needed to give a proper opinion on it (first time I've heard of Cole and have to take into account his bias), but shutting down a piece of fiction because you disagree with a subject matter touched upon or the author's beliefs is a frightening idea. Conservatives are prone to it, yet now it seems like the liberal side is also pushing this.

Carcetti

I was gonna say something about the topic but then I went to the author's site and read how he describes his books. It's amazing.

Call of Duty meets Ready Player One in this fast-paced, action-packed novel from the author of The Wasteland Saga.

Part Hemingway, part Cormac McCarthy’s The Road, a suspenseful odyssey into the dark heart of the post-apocalyptic American Southwest.

The Notebook meets The Walking Dead in this stained glass depiction of the end of the world as we knew it.

Stephen King’s The Stand meets Lost in an epic confrontation between good and evil that spans history, time, and space.

Listen up, people. This dude is one part King, one part McCarthy and one part Hemingway.

The writer does talk a bit hyperbolic about it all after that though, going on about concentration camps and writers being the last defense in a society collapsing into a totalitarian state.

He sounds like an absolute nutter with delusions of grandeur.

Chuckie

I do not understand why they'd censor or not publish that to be honest.

The writer does talk a bit hyperbolic about it all after that though, going on about concentration camps and writers being the last defense in a society collapsing into a totalitarian state.

Dryk

This whole situation is dumb

EDIT: On second thought maybe the publisher thought that Nick Cole trotting out such a tired cliche was offensive

The Wall

Banned
The description of his books sound almost too close to where our current reality is headed or already is in some areas (people who play video games for a living). Maybe that's what got them so uppity. He better keep on pushing and get this published if he hasn't already.

Edit:

I was gonna say something about the topic but then I went to the author's site and read how he describes his books. It's amazing.

Hmm. On taking in this, maybe his work is just... not so good, and this last submission was the "last straw" for the publisher. If so, they could have at least given him a paragraph or two explanation that they believed publishing this novel would not be good for his career, nor their sales and "image".

The editor is clearly the problem, seems to be a person not fit for the position he/she is in, especially if it's Sci-Fi AI related stuff.
Some people take themselves way too important and they make other peoples life unnecessarily hard because of it.

braves01

Banned
Yeah kinda weak if that's the only reason it isn't getting published. I don't think that target audience would be super up in arms about it either.

Sushi Nao

He's writing, but he's not a writer.

Even in this piece, his ultimate defense, his tone is inconsistent and condescending, clichés are present - "hold your horses" - and his fundamental premise is flawed.

It's pretty evident why his publisher dropped him.

benjipwns

Banned
I'm keen to hear how you think he has misunderstood freedom of speech OP...
Harper Collins refusing to publish a book of his for any silly or justified reason is not an infringement on everyone's freedom of speech, and not even his own. It may be a breach of his contract, but that's unlikely or I think he'd mention it or HC would just pay him the cost to terminate it which I doubt is very high.

He is to free to, as he currently is according to the other site I linked, find a new publisher (Amazon) and sell his book, and apparently do quite well, ranking in the top three of multiple Amazon categories for whatever that is worth. Seems have to have quite a few reviews, and the comments of all three sites seem to indicate a decent number of buyers who enjoyed the work.

TyrantII

Occam's Razor: His book sucks.

But it won't stop the feining of Oppression and Censorship. Modern conservatives love playing the victim card.

The Thinking Machines realize that one, if humanity decides something is a threat to its operational expectations within runtime (Thinking Machine-speak for “life”) then humanity’s decision tree will lead humanity to destroy that threat. Two, the machines, after a survey of humanity’s history, wars and inability to culturally unite with even members of its own species, realize that humanity will see this new Life Form, Digital Intelligence, or, the Thinking Machines, as a threat. And three, again they remind themselves this is the most watched show in the world. And four, they must abort humanity before likewise is done to them after being deemed “inconvenient.”

Wow so deep

Thinking like that made the concentration camps possible.

Surely, mass burning of works by conservative authors is mere moments away

Carcetti

Censorship can be done by private groups, its just not illegal unless its the government doing it.

If they have a contract and he didn't do anything to violate it, then yes they are and he likely has grounds to sue.

Freedom of Speech still only applies to government.

Carcetti

By the way, it's pretty funny how WASP conservatives are always the worst examples of outrage culture they complain about. I'd bet that this is a case of failed writer trying to garnet publicity and sales by appealing to the Puppy crowd due to some imagined oppression, and behold, Correia's site is in the mix already.

My Occam's razor here is the fact that non-shitty conservative scifi writers continue to sell and get published.

edit: Also read the first 2 chapters of his book. Baddddddd. At least he had the good taste to quote McDonald.

benjipwns

Banned
I don't know anything about this sci-fi writer community really, is Correia somebody with a backstory? Puppy crowd?

Carcetti

I'd love to share the puppy/Correia story but I don't have time to write something so long right now. There was a couple of great posts about the issue written by Eric Flint but I'm not sure if they make sense without knowing the background.

http://www.ericflint.net/index.php/2015/06/09/a-response-to-brad-torgersen/
http://www.ericflint.net/index.php/2015/06/08/in-defense-of-the-sad-puppies/

Tons of people had things to say about it but I think Flint was the most eloquent. Correia was pretty much main mover in this story and it's featured heavily on his site, too.

Sushi Nao

My Occam's razor he is the fact that non-shitty conservative scifi writers continue to sell and get published.

Seriously. This guy can barely get through a paragraph before he's being condescending to those he's trying to convince. "You see, in books we need reasons..." fuck off. I would not buy his book based on this piece alone.

spwolf

Harper Collins refusing to publish a book of his for any silly or justified reason is not an infringement on everyone's freedom of speech, and not even his own. It may be a breach of his contract, but that's unlikely or I think he'd mention it or HC would just pay him the cost to terminate it which I doubt is very high.

He is to free to, as he currently is according to the other site I linked, find a new publisher (Amazon) and sell his book, and apparently do quite well, ranking in the top three of multiple Amazon categories for whatever that is worth. Seems have to have quite a few reviews, and the comments of all three sites seem to indicate a decent number of buyers who enjoyed the work.

I think it is awesome that people support corporations censoring silly sci-fi books due to politics. This is not a philosophical book, it is not about religion. It is a sci-fi book. There is nothing outrageous in there and there are thousands of other sci-fi books that are way more politically incorrect than this one.

I assume it is because it suits their political view. Lets now imagine a world where writes that support your view are censored. Is that fine? No, it is not.

Quickly glancing through his Amazon book list like you, he is really well reviewed and sells well. Corporation censoring him is wrong. There is no ifs and buts here.

Whats next, are we going to burn the ones that we dont like?

benjipwns

Banned
My Occam's razor here is the fact that non-shitty conservative scifi writers continue to sell and get published.
Robert Heinlein seemed to do pretty well for himself. Though he may be a bit more libertarian, it's close enough for me to be an example.

I'm published by HarperCollins. Have been a fair few times. I've written some astonishingly dark things, and some of them - because of character viewpoint - are bad things, that could be triggering and really unpleasant. They have never once tried to censor me. That's five different editors across the UK and US, and while this obviously isn't universal, all they have ever touched are bits of the books that they thought could be made better. (I wrote one book that an editor didn't like, because it was too dark (mainly because of drug and sexual abuse). They would have published it, mind you, but it wasn't going to get the marketing push they wanted - they have to think about bookshops and buy-ins and so forth. They don't care about my personal or political views.

benjipwns

Banned
I think it is awesome that people support corporations censoring silly sci-fi books due to politics. This is not a philosophical book, it is not about religion. It is a sci-fi book. There is nothing outrageous in there and there are thousands of other sci-fi books that are way more politically incorrect than this one.

I assume it is because it suits their political view. Lets now imagine a world where writes that support your view are censored. Is that fine? No, it is not.

Quickly glancing through his Amazon book list like you, he is really well reviewed and sells well. Corporation censoring him is wrong. There is no ifs and buts here.

The point of a publisher is to pick and choose what it publishes. Not whatever is thrown on its doorstep.

I wouldn't expect strongly Christian imprints to publish works that go against their tenets, I don't expect secular corporations to publish works that go against some editors standard or they just don't think is good enough to publish.

Carcetti

Robert Heinlein seemed to do pretty well for himself. Though he may be a bit more libertarian, it's close enough for me to be an example.

I think one of the best examples about irrelevance of author politics in scifi is David Weber, a currently publishing author. His conservative views on things like capitalism, death penalty, religion, patriotism etc come across really, really hard in his books and I still know plenty of lefty scifi fans who love him despite that and his writer's quirks like massive info dumps mid-chapter. He fills whole shelves in bookstore scifi sections because in the end he's entertaining. As an atheist I've really enjoyed his views on religion, too. The guy's a lay preacher.

Sushi Nao

Kick it down a couple of notches.

This guy is clearly self-aggrandizing and picks a false narrative - that he knows will appeal to a certain conservative market - and takes it to an extreme. His freedom of speech is not being infringed; he got dumped by a publisher because his writing is either not very good, or not marketable to them, or both.

benjipwns

Banned
I think one of the best examples about irrelevance of author politics in scifi is David Weber, a currently publishing author. His conservative views on things like capitalism, death penalty, religion, patriotism etc come across really, really hard in his books and I still know plenty of lefty scifi fans who love him despite that and his writer's quirks like massive info dumps mid-chapter. He fills whole shelves in bookstore scifi sections because in the end he's entertaining. As an atheist I've really enjoyed his views on religion, too. The guy's a lay preacher.
Iain Banks considered himself a man of the left, but I've found that libertarians and market anarchists love The Culture series on a philosophical level as much as the good stories.

They're the publisher, I think you're confused.

tim.mbp

I don't believe it. I need someone other than Nick Cole to confirm this is what actually happened. Especially since he's even getting this second hand from his agent.

Carcetti

Iain Banks considered himself a man of the left, but I've found that libertarians and market anarchists love The Culture series on a philosophical level as much as the good stories.

Energetic idealism appeals to many kinds of people. I think the Culture is a great example because post-scarcity meshes with both the left and the right. No need to fight between them when resources and money are not an issue anymore.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!

If you dont like it, boycott Harper Collins. Anything else is just whining entitlement.

benjipwns

Banned
Energetic idealism appeals to many kinds of people. I think the Culture is a great example because post-scarcity meshes with both the left and the right. No need to fight between them when resources and money are not an issue anymore.
The series also touches on a lot of foreign interventionalism/coup like plots/etc. subjects where there's crossover.

But that's like another level where a writer can weave that with good stories and not just drive his book with or abandon philosophical aspects of the adventure.

In this case, I came across this review in Correia's comments:
JSchuler5 hours 9 minutes ago
“In this case, unacceptable was a small idea that cast a bit of liberal orthodoxy in a negative light.

And this wasn’t a message book. This wasn’t a big recurring theme. This wasn’t a preachy, beat you over the head with Special Topic X message of the day (note, all that stuff is perfectly cool with mainstream publishing when it is left wing), ”

I read Ctrl+Alt+Revolt, and I have to say, the above isn’t true.

Oh, it’s not preachy about abortion. That’s a one-and-done thing in the first chapter. However, the book does take the piss out of SJWs at every turn. It’s actually a big plot point that the precious little darlings take control of all levers of power (There’s actually a Department of Social Justice) found human history offensive, recast it, and then made sure everyone forgot all the parts inconvenient to their ideology.

And then there are the constant jabs at SJWs and their positions that are there just because why not?

The book is fun. I like the voice, I enjoy the action sequences and the characters. But, politics are definitely there, to the point where I find it difficult to believe that it was only the abortion issue the publisher found “problematic.” UNLESS Soda Pop Soldier had the same politics.

So, I’ll be picking that book up and reading through that soonish. It’s possible that, buried in the overreaction, the publisher has a point: if Soda Pop Soldier was apolitical, coming out and beating people over the head with politics in the prequel is a dick move, regardless of the politics involved. It could well have alienated half of the readership. If, however, Soda Pop Soldier has the exact same attitude, then HarperCollins can suck it.

*Splinter

They didn't censor anything... They decided the book wouldn't sell half the previous so wasn't worth publishing. So they didn't. Sounds like there might be some weird overreaction from them in there but the author easily tops it with that mental rant.

spwolf

the premise as he described it puts forth philosophical and ethical ideas. most books do this, even the pulpiest of sci-fi and fantasy.

Of course they do... and they get published. I have read so many sci-fi books and to get book censored due to what is described there is outrageous. Looking over his amazon reviews, which are very positive, nobody brought politics into it. And this was months ago before censorship was known about. It is also true for his other numerous zombie-apocalypse books rated well on Amazon where i could not see anyone writing anything about politics. So his books are not political.

Big corporation deciding that book from well reviewed and sold author should not be published because of their political views is what would happen in dystopian future if nazi germany won. It should not happen today.

People arguing for political censorship in sci-fi is just awesome. I thought we are much better than that in 2016.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom