• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a Gaffer and his 3D printer trolled the world (2nd NX fake)

Zemm

How do we know the original wasn't real and kankki just copied it using a 3D printer to make the original look fake? Wake up sheeple.

random25

So is the junior banned now or what? :p

Great work and misdirection, btw. If only I'm rich and talented enough to pull off such elaborate troll. lol

jaypah

There were so many on here who were snarky and critical of #teamfake, suggesting they were in denial and so forth. Radio silence from those folks now.

What? The thread is full of people saying "bravo" for being fooled.

Also hats off, that was an amazing ride. Certainly had me going, lol!

LQX

I really hate crap like this but we cant really get mad at it as as few years ago I think I remember another Gaffer made fake news to see if the gaming media would run with it and many sites did so it would be really hypocritical to now get angry. Many want to now laugh it off but I bet it hurts and I think this shows that doing that a few years ago to the gaming media was also a dick move.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Absolutely amazing. Game changer in leaks.

What this means in practice is that still images won't be as easily accepted as leaks. Very illustrative social experiment too.

The war has changed.

daveo42

Banned
So is the junior banned now or what? :p

Great work and misdirection, btw. If only I'm rich and talented enough to pull off such elaborate troll. lol

Nah. He'll probably get some sort of epic tag for fooling the gaming community for like a day. Very interesting in retrospect listening to the Beastcast this morning pour over the "leaked" controller.

NeoGAF mobile got jokes? Peep the ad..

5dFF9OR.png

Seriously, thinking about this further... we can never trust any leaks ever again. I mean, we never did, but now, the game has changed folks.

Baleoce

I'm glad we're at a point where elaborate and seemingly detailed leaks can't be trusted, because it means there's actually more than a snowballs chance in hell of us being surprised.

I have to give myself credit for calling out this exact process in the other thread-- 3D printing the body and then milling out the screen and placing inside. I knew it!

Also funny to see the people in the other thread convinced fake 2 was a 3D image as well, pointing out how the screen reflections and shadows were wrong. Hahaha

I like the step by step breakdown of this making off.

Very informative.
I think it was a nice "leak" and hopefully this will teach people to be more carefull in the meantime.

gafneo

Banned
I wonder why Nintendo sat back and didn't say they were fakes. They probably wanted opinions to see if they should go with the look of the blueprint.

zroid

Banned
Not that I expect it, but why would he get banned anyway? Wasn't the leak posted on Reddit?

As far as I know there's no rules for what GAF members can and can't post on reddit

MUnited83

For you.
I wonder why Nintendo sat back and didn't say they were fakes. They probably wanted opinions to see if they should go with the look of the blueprint.
Most company policy is to not commentate rumours or leaks at all. Because from then on each time they wouldn't comment people would automatically assume it was legit.

I bet Japan knew it was fake right away. They get offended by brands and designs not being authentic to their culture.

Of which honor and shame are huge parts of.
I am still intrigued by the handheld patent design like I was when it first showed up. Even more curious to know what NX is now.

Top Bottom