• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How a Gaffer and his 3D printer trolled the world (2nd NX fake)

MCN

Banned
I wonder why Nintendo sat back and didn't say they were fakes. They probably wanted opinions to see if they should go with the look of the blueprint.

It's always been policy not to comment on rumours or speculation.

If he must be banned for the rules or whatever, ban him for like an hour, then give him a tag.

I wonder why Nintendo sat back and didn't say they were fakes. They probably wanted opinions to see if they should go with the look of the blueprint.

Anything they say would draw more attention towards themselves and the fake, the best thing to do when something leaks or "leaks" is to not comment on it at all.

maxcriden

I don't know if it's happened in this thread but I saw in the other thread that people were talking a lot of shit about Rösti and ShockingAlberto and indicating they are now running scared, etc., and not legit insiders. I just want to point out that all Alberto said was that he'd heard the first pic was real from a source. He never said he was certain of its veracity by any stretch. Previously he has known insider information before it was announced by Nintendo so I don't think he should be given such a hard time about this.
As to Rösti, he specifically made a point to say that he was not saying the leak was real or fake, just that certain parties were upset about it. He even expressed anxiety and physical symptoms resulting from stress over this, and he never said the leak was real, so please, those giving either of these upstanding members of the community a hard time, reconsider doing so. Thank you.

miserable

CeZljYFWIAABWli.jpg:large

via twitter

this should have been a pie chart a la Polygon

LoveCake

As others have said I wonder what the Photoshop faker was thinking when he saw this being posted about looking just like the one he created/made lol

That is some set-up, I guess it's in a university lab or where you work?

Maybe we should here at GAF come up with a design for the ultimate controller & you could make it in physical form?

gafneo

Banned
It's always been policy not to comment on rumours or speculation.

If he must be banned for the rules or whatever, ban him for like an hour, then give him a tag.

I think it taught people a good enough lession for it to be a moral troll. It was a social experiment to test how media outlets and fans would react to 3D printed mockups made by a common machine.

Davey Cakes

This is incredibly awesome.

Guy asking if he will be banned? He should win a badge of best gaffer ever.
Will I be banned if I think another GAFfer should be banned?

Because I think a ban would send a message that it's not necessarily okay to do fake leaks. I mean, yeah, one or two is fun but what if everyone with a 3D printer attempted the same thing? Theoretically, the boards could be flooded with fakes of...everything and anything.

So, perhaps both a temp ban AND a tag are in order. But please, I'm not trying to be a jackass, and if suggesting this is a bannable offense then I'm sorry. Maybe I missed it in the TOS.

LeleSocho

Banned
I don't know if they banned him but i hope not, he did a great job and let the cat out of the bag in a timely manner.
Great job pal, you made me laugh :)

Still #TeamReal

The one in the picture was real and Kankki printed a copy to avoid getting sued by Nintendo. Backpedaling, smoke, mirrors and deflection is what it is.

AmuroRX

Banned
I just want to add...this mofo had a laser cutter too....He used thousands of dollars worth of equipment to do this (yes I know as far as actual cost it was minimal). This was some next level trolling sirs.

Big Nikus

Because I think a ban would send a message that it's not necessarily okay to do fake leaks. I mean, yeah, one or two is fun but what if everyone with a 3D printer attempted the same thing? Theoretically, the boards could be flooded with fakes of...everything and anything.

Well at least it will teach people to wait for official information :) If suddenly we're flooded with fakes, then nobody will believe anything until the official stuff is revealed.
...right ?

Well done.

On the upside, he could recreate any other leaks or official shots to test the ergonomics well before they are actually available.

Masterfull troll though, my hats off to you.

My exact reaction. The fact that he completely fooled people by making an actual physical "prototype" is incredible.

Now the future of leak debates is not going to be "It's photoshopped!", it's going to be "It's 3D-printed!"

Can you imagine if he had pulled this off with a fake new iPhone? He would have brought the news world to its knees.

kankki

Senior Project Lead, NX Hardware Design at Nintendo of Europe
Hahah, wow! :D

I thought people would be mad! What a nice surprise that you're not :)

I literally made this video in 2 hours after I woke up today and saw a GameXplain video about how the white one was debunked. Wasn't gonna upload this until Sunday :p

Simbabbad

As to Rösti, he specifically made a point to say that he was not saying the leak was real or fake, just that certain parties were upset about it. He even expressed anxiety and physical symptoms resulting from stress over this, and he never said the leak was real, so please, those giving either of these upstanding members of the community a hard time, reconsider doing so.
Why say anything at all, then?

cormack12

Gold Member
Absolutely amazing. Game changer in leaks.

What this means in practice is that still images won't be as easily accepted as leaks. Very illustrative social experiment too.

The war has changed.

Yep. Mininum requirement now is full 360 with device powered on and live video.

Mega

Banned
No one deserves a ban for such fine work. That was awesome and made the wait for the real thing more interesting. This is the sort of stuff that makes the impending reveal more exciting, like the Nintendo Revolution VR helmet video.

jariw

So, perhaps both a temp ban AND a tag are in order. But please, I'm not trying to be a jackass, and if suggesting this is a bannable offense then I'm sorry. Maybe I missed it in the TOS.

AFAIK, it was not the creators of the fake devices that created the GAF threads.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?

Pfffffft. Fake leaks have always been a thing. Even when insiders get verified it comes with a "Believe at own risk" sign. He didn't even get that far so it especially doesn't matter.

GAF should be more pragmatic.

Simbabbad

I don't mind the fakes, it's in good humour and fair play, and teaches people to be careful. In the long run, it benefits companies because people will doubt leaks in the future. I do mind some reactions commenting the fakes, though. Some people should be humbled now.

Top Bottom