• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How America Lost Its Mind [The Atlantic]

The Atlantic along with The Economist are my favorite journalistic publications.

I have a subscription to the New Yorker and love it. I've been considering checking out The Atlantic.

If you've read the New Yorker, how does The Atlantic compare in terms of tone and content?

Kill3r7

I have a subscription to the New Yorker and love it. I've been considering checking out The Atlantic.

If you've read the New Yorker, how does The Atlantic compare in terms of tone and content?

I like the New Yorker more. It does a better job covering my interests. That said, The Atlantic is pretty solid. I ended up dropping my subscription a couple of years back because I simply did not have the time to read it. If you decide to subscribe checkout slickdeals, usually 1 year can be had for $5.

I like the New Yorker more. It does a better job covering my interests. That said, The Atlantic is pretty solid. I ended up dropping my subscription a couple of years back because I simply did not have the time to read it. If you decide to subscribe checkout slickdeals, usually 1 year can be had for $5.

OK cool, I'll keep an eye out. Can't really go wrong with $5.

gaugebozo

Insanity. Just......insanity

"A quarter believe that our previous president maybe or definitely was (or is?) the anti-Christ."

I mean, even if you believe in the anti-Christ, and even if you believe he's alive right now, it just can't possibly be Obama. He's not even in power anymore. Like what the fuck? If you can't trust experts, at least get your conspiracy theory down right.

Fuchsdh

The second image isn't showing modern day protestors, its referencing the article's point on how the counterculture movement begat today's right. Not sure if I agree with his conclusions, but he doesn't seem to be criticizing today's left.

He's definitely criticizing today's left, but he's not saying they are comparable to the right. At the bare minimum, he notes, they are the ones in power and thus in the position to put their harmful beliefs into practice in a way no current leftist crazies can, with the possible exception of the fallout from the anti-vaxxer stuff. But really the underlying symptoms he sees as bipartisan, mutating and informing alternating sides.

I think the point about how conspiracy theories are a self-fulfilling prophecy with regards to governance is also spot on. It enabled a loss of trust in government beyond the actual scandals, which in turn allowed some of those conspiracies to come true.

Top Bottom